Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/18/2024 7:50 am  #1

ANOTHER Nice Win for the Women

They beat St. Louis 82-65.  St. Louis had been playing somewhat better at home lately and they had some players whom I thought might be match up problems.  VERY balanced scoring for DU 13 for Naelle 12 for Tess,Ayanna, Precious 10 for Megan, 9 for Lauren 8 for Amaya and 6 for Jen.  It SEEMED in the first half St. Louis got a ton of offensive rebounds getting multiple chances and that was the way they kept somewhat close but DU won the TOTAL Rebounding battle.

I know EVERY team has their injuries but I can't help but wonder if Lauren had been healthy from day 1 if they might have won a few more in the non-conference schedule even though she comes off the bench and sometimes only plays 10 minutes or so.

KEEP IT GOING AGAINST GW

2/18/2024 12:37 pm  #2

Re: ANOTHER Nice Win for the Women

Impressive how they won all 4 quarters.  This team has not been prone to offensive droughts that seem to plague teams in the recent past.   This is the best stretch by the women since the NCAA tournament team. 

Based on tiebreakers, they have already clinched 5th place at worst with 3 games left. 

The bye is going to be rough because their last two games are against 1 and 1a Richmond and St Joes.  But if they win out they are guaranteed the bye because VCU and Mason play each other in their last game.

2/18/2024 1:28 pm  #3

Listened to the game  on KMOX radio.Dukes playing really well and I think they can beat St. Joes at home.
The announcer with KMOX was really impressed with Dukes.

2/18/2024 1:44 pm  #4

stew wrote:

Listened to the game  on KMOX radio.Dukes playing really well and I think they can beat St. Joes at home.
The announcer with KMOX was really impressed with Dukes.

I think they can as well.  They had one bad quarter at St Joes that cost them the game.  The problem is we lose both tiebreakers to VCU and Mason.  We need one of those teams to faulter down the stretch.

Last edited by DuqBlue (2/18/2024 1:44 pm)

2/18/2024 2:01 pm  #5

This team has won 9 of the last 10 and are remarkably improved on both the offensive and defensive ends. The offense is moving the ball and working through the post players who are delivering. This opens up the three ball and again, the production is there. The biggest improvement is on the defensive end. In the current 5 game winning streak, mid 60s and less have been given up. Ball pressure, digs, doubles and even an occasional press have really been effective. Rebounding has been better. And, Megan is a tremendous engineer to drive the train. The coaches have done a tremendous job in remaking the team concepts. The Dukes are a legitimate threat. Go Dukes!

2/19/2024 11:39 am  #6

If would be nice if they started winning some player of the week honors in the A10.

2/19/2024 4:34 pm  #7

Nice, but not important to win individual weekly awards.  This Dukes team is truly defined by the word "team effort", with a nice distribution in scoring from all of those who get playing time.  They have a good thing going with a nice rotation, good depth and are all sharing the ball and looking for the open shooter.  They have several players who are certainly capable of winning a weekly award, but winning as a team is much more effective and fun for all.  No complaints here, just beat St. Joe's, win the A-10 bid and go dancing!

2/20/2024 11:22 am  #8

PG Article from Zeiss with nice mentions regarding this Dukes team and Coach Dan Burt.
Pitt men, Duquesne women bringing back hope for local success in NCAA tournament | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette 

Board footera