Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/27/2024 1:30 pm  #26

Re: Time to prepare for the future.

Mulder wrote:

Really good conversation!  I agree re: too many non conference games at home - that has not benefited us at all as we go into the A10 with difficulty on the road.  And I agree that a coach from outside would be preferable should KD retire. 

It would seem to me that getting some top quality Non-conf. matchups would be easier if the Dukes were willing to travel to those games.

2/27/2024 1:34 pm  #27

My line of thinking is more aligned with what CLK is saying above. Do I sometimes talk about the players, the coaches, sure... and sometimes I need to slap my own hand because 1. They are real people 2. I don't know the ins/outs of college programs, but I too am sick of the thread hijacking. As the title of this thread reads (time to prepare for the future) we constantly keep bringing up the past. Unfortunately, we can't learn, or undo any of our past mistakes, because college athletics is changing that a rate that I can't even keep up with. The transfer portal and NIL have changed every aspect of hoops, and honestly... and this is probably why most of you are disappointed, I think we spent those dollars well based on the players that are here currently. But is it going the way we hoped, no… but the year isn’t over. I tend to wait to give my broad strokes opinion until the end of the year. Who knows, maybe we will end strong, do something in the A10 tourney, or maybe we’ll fizzle like at the end of last year. But… we can only fix what is in front of us, what Porter did doesn’t matter, what Everhart did doesn’t matter, Nee… Ferry… right now we have these kids, and KD at the helm. And I’m not saying I haven’t been pissed at the result of some of these games (Davidson, Fordham, etc.), and say out loud “KD, what are you doing!” but there isn’t another coach on the planet that doesn’t want to win at/for Duquesne more than Keith. I know some people hate the Lebron connection stuff, because it’s over used when talking about him, and he too uses it in his pressers, but the connection with his dad Sid… and I know how bad he wanted to get this team into the tourney for him… before he died, and he didn’t, he failed him. As a son, I always tried to make my father proud, and sometimes I didn’t. And he feels that every single day, and now with what is going on with his wife, I am sure he knows he’s running out of days to see that through. And yes, I know some of you are thinking you give X Coach X amount of dollars and he’ll care plenty. Will he? Or will he move on and use this opportunity as a steppingstone to the next? Is Dru the answer? Idk, looking at his short resume it doesn’t look like it. But… he seems to have a connection with these kids. If that is a precedent, and keeping this current group together, maybe that makes sense. Otherwise, wouldn’t you think if someone new came in we have a completely new crop, again… I think we have some promise with this group. However, reeling myself back, let’s talk about the future, when the future comes. Right now, I just want to beat LaSalle.

2/27/2024 2:18 pm  #28

StillatShales wrote:

My line of thinking is more aligned with what CLK is saying above. Do I sometimes talk about the players, the coaches, sure... and sometimes I need to slap my own hand because 1. They are real people 2. I don't know the ins/outs of college programs, but I too am sick of the thread hijacking. As the title of this thread reads (time to prepare for the future) we constantly keep bringing up the past. Unfortunately, we can't learn, or undo any of our past mistakes, because college athletics is changing that a rate that I can't even keep up with. The transfer portal and NIL have changed every aspect of hoops, and honestly... and this is probably why most of you are disappointed, I think we spent those dollars well based on the players that are here currently. But is it going the way we hoped, no… but the year isn’t over. I tend to wait to give my broad strokes opinion until the end of the year. Who knows, maybe we will end strong, do something in the A10 tourney, or maybe we’ll fizzle like at the end of last year. But… we can only fix what is in front of us, what Porter did doesn’t matter, what Everhart did doesn’t matter, Nee… Ferry… right now we have these kids, and KD at the helm. And I’m not saying I haven’t been pissed at the result of some of these games (Davidson, Fordham, etc.), and say out loud “KD, what are you doing!” but there isn’t another coach on the planet that doesn’t want to win at/for Duquesne more than Keith. I know some people hate the Lebron connection stuff, because it’s over used when talking about him, and he too uses it in his pressers, but the connection with his dad Sid… and I know how bad he wanted to get this team into the tourney for him… before he died, and he didn’t, he failed him. As a son, I always tried to make my father proud, and sometimes I didn’t. And he feels that every single day, and now with what is going on with his wife, I am sure he knows he’s running out of days to see that through. And yes, I know some of you are thinking you give X Coach X amount of dollars and he’ll care plenty. Will he? Or will he move on and use this opportunity as a steppingstone to the next? Is Dru the answer? Idk, looking at his short resume it doesn’t look like it. But… he seems to have a connection with these kids. If that is a precedent, and keeping this current group together, maybe that makes sense. Otherwise, wouldn’t you think if someone new came in we have a completely new crop, again… I think we have some promise with this group. However, reeling myself back, let’s talk about the future, when the future comes. Right now, I just want to beat LaSalle.

Nice post, StillatShales.  I share much of your sentiment.

2/27/2024 2:32 pm  #29

Fantastic post Shales. We have one of our own. Duquesne is in his blood. Nobody wants to restore Dukes hoops more than Dambrot. He has given me no reason not to support him and this group since he has been here. When it is all said and done, we can step back and evaluate his fingerprint on the program, but there is no denying that he has moved the needle and put us in a better state than he found us. What a story it would be for him to get us back to the NCAA tournament. And after this season’s ups and downs as well. This group can do it. We’ll need some things to go our way, but I still believe.

2/27/2024 2:34 pm  #30

Those that fail to learn from History's mistakes are doomed to repeat them.  But really nice post StillatShales.

Last edited by Prince of Pilsner (2/27/2024 2:35 pm)

Board footera