Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/27/2024 4:30 pm  #1

Game Thread - La Salle University Explorers

7:00pm EST tip on Wednesday 2/28/2024 at the UPMC Cooper Fieldhouse, Pittsburgh, PA

Betting line: Dukes are 9½ point favorites; Over/Under 141
Duquesne 11-15 Against the Spread: La Salle 12-15 ATS

NET Ranking:  Dukes 105; La Salle 193

Per KenPom (362 D-1 Teams):
Dukes #115 (16-11; 6-8 A10) vs La Salle #196 (14-14; 5-10 A10)
Game prediction: Dukes win by 10, 76-66 - Dukes with 80% probability of a win.
https://kenpom.com/gameprep.php?g=5146
Per Haslametrics:
Dukes #122 vs La Salle #165
Game prediction:  Dukes win by 7, 73.53-66.59
https://haslametrics.com/preview.php?yr=&tid1=4673&tid2=4391&neut=0
Per BartTorvik:
Dukes #101 vs La Salle #172
Game prediction:  Dukes win by 10, 75-65 - Dukes with a 64% probability of a win.
https://barttorvik.com/team.php?team=Duquesne&year=2024
Duquesne Preview: https://goduquesne.com/news/2024/2/27/mens-basketball-preview-la-salle-vs-duquesne.aspx Duquesne Game Notes: https://goduquesne.com/documents/2024/2/27/28_La_Salle.pdf La Salle Game Notes: https://goexplorers.com/news/2024/2/27/mens-basketball-mens-basketball-looks-to-extend-winning-streak-at-duquesne.aspx
Sports Reference College Basketball Team Pages:
Duquesne:https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/duquesne/men/2024.html La Salle:https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/La-Salle/men/2024.html
Dukes KenPom Best Wins: Bradley (70); UC Irvine (80); St.Bonaventure-2 (82); College of Charleston (112); Saint Joseph's (114); Cleveland St. (187) 
Dukes KenPom Worst Losses: Fordham (198); Santa Clara (119); Saint Joseph's (114); Davidson (103); Loyola Chicago (96); UMass (90); Richmond (76); Princeton (64)

La Salle KenPom Best Wins: St. Bonaventure (82); UMass (90); Drexel (122); Rhode Island (194): Fordham (198); Penn (212) 
La Salle KenPom Worst Losses: Howard (285); Temple (224); Saint Louis (206); Rhode Island (194); Saint Joseph's-2 (114)

Shooting Percentage Offense/Defense (per KenPom)
Dukes 3 Point:  Offense 33.3%, 207 in D-1; Defense 32.6%, 112 in D-1
La Salle 3 Point:  Offense 34.5%, 142 in D-1; Defense 35.1%, 273 in D-1
Dukes 2 Point:  Offense 49.4%, 217 in D-1; Defense 48.3%, 90 in D-1
La Salle 2 Point:  Offense 48.2%, 268 in D-1; Defense 50.1%, 167 in D-1
Dukes FT:  Offense 70.6%, 233 in D-1; Defense 70.0%, 68 in D-1
La Salle FT:  Offense 72.0%, 179 in D-1; Defense 72.6%, 231 in D-1

Points per Possession and Number of Possessions (per KenPom)
La Salle Adj Offense Efficiency - 106.0; 185 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Defense Efficiency - 100.9; 70 in D-1
La Salle Adj Defense Efficiency - 109.0; 230 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Offense Efficiency - 106.8; 174 in D-1
La Salle Adj Tempo - 68.0; 170 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Tempo - 67.4; 208 in D-1

Miscellaneous (per KenPom)
Experience - La Salle 1.96 yrs; 160 in D-1; Dukes 2.55 yrs; 49 in D-1
Average Height - La Salle 76.1"; 333 in D-1; Dukes 76.4"; 296 in D-1

2/27/2024 10:25 pm  #2

Re: Game Thread - La Salle University Explorers

Thanks Phoenix. Now in salvage the season mode. A very disappointing season. The cupboard is pretty bare for next year. GO DUKES!

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

2/28/2024 12:01 am  #3

KenOTR73 wrote:

Thanks Phoenix. Now in salvage the season mode. A very disappointing season. The cupboard is pretty bare for next year. GO DUKES!

Give Savrasov and H Drame quality minutes these last 4 games as your going to need them if you want to make a run in the conference tourney. They'll be rusty because they haven't played, but need to play them extensively these last 4 regular season games. Playing Williams and Rozier for 15-25 minutes a game isn't going to work, We all see that. Come A-10 tourney time Dixon needs to be on the court for 30 minutes and Mahorcic a good 15-20. Don't want to see front court players out there 25 minutes scoring 6 points and grabbing 2 rebounds, Dimichelle, Grant, and Clark don't need to be on the court for 35 minutes. Way too much depth on this team for that nonsense. They would be much more effective playing 25-30 minutes. Necas looks like he could play hard all day without tiring. Get him in early or even start him.

2/28/2024 8:09 am  #4

Coach Dambrot isn’t exactly Coach flexible. Agree with your analysis but same old same old. Coach Dumphrey of Lasalle has is young team on the rise. Tonight will be a difficult game if our guards unfortunately get shut down. Go Dukes.

Last edited by Ironduke81 (2/28/2024 11:46 am)

2/28/2024 8:44 am  #5

Rayrich wrote:

KenOTR73 wrote:

Give Savrasov and H Drame quality minutes these last 4 games as your going to need them if you want to make a run in the conference tourney. They'll be rusty because they haven't played, but need to play them extensively these last 4 regular season games. Playing Williams and Rozier for 15-25 minutes a game isn't going to work, We all see that. Come A-10 tourney time Dixon needs to be on the court for 30 minutes and Mahorcic a good 15-20. Don't want to see front court players out there 25 minutes scoring 6 points and grabbing 2 rebounds, Dimichelle, Grant, and Clark don't need to be on the court for 35 minutes. Way too much depth on this team for that nonsense. They would be much more effective playing 25-30 minutes. Necas looks like he could play hard all day without tiring. Get him in early or even start him.

In the last 14 games KD has not played H.Drame? Not one second. Prior to those 14 games he was a regular? Why ?  These last 14 games have been mostly disappointing. The Drame twins coming into this season was a big part of the 4th place prediction pre-season. The Dukes are a lot less talented with H.Drame out and reduced playing time for F.Drame and Andrei. I hope that changes soon.   We need this win tonight.

2/28/2024 9:00 am  #6

Play the freshman and sophomores.   Not the 5-6th yr seniors.   they've had 150 chances.  The season is lost.

2/28/2024 9:16 am  #7

You guys are unbearable. How is this season any more “lost” than it was a month ago?? Did you think we were getting an at large bid?! We’re setting ourselves up for a bye when 6 teams in the league don’t get one. Duquesne hasn’t had back to back 20 win seasons since what, 1972?!?!

Standings after GMU and Loyola losing last night:
12-2 Richmond
12-3 Dayton
12-3 Loyola Chicago
10-4 VCU
9-7 St. Bonaventure
9-7 UMass
7-8 Saint Joseph’s
7-8 George Mason
6-8 Duquesne
6–9 Fordham
5-9 Rhode Island
5-10 Davidson
5-10 La Salle
3-11 Saint Louis
3-12 George Washington

2/28/2024 10:12 am  #8

townsonkid wrote:

Play the freshman and sophomores.   Not the 5-6th yr seniors.   they've had 150 chances.  The season is lost.

Couldn't agree more. Might as well see what we have going into next year. This season is over.

2/28/2024 10:15 am  #9

It’s absurd Bluffhunter. Normally, the trolls come out after losses. They are getting bolder. There is still everything to play for. This team can be the one to take us to the promised land. It starts today!

2/28/2024 10:29 am  #10

Bluff...you are probably correct.  We aren't getting an NCAA at large bid, we aren't getting an NIT at large bid, and we aren't good enough to win the A-10.  I hope Harper is working hard on bringing in a new coach who can do this.  It's the same old story with Duquesne.  WE are used to it...we are like the Chicago Cubs fans for many, many years.  If he wants to hire Dru Joyce, fine...but please interview other quality candidates and make sure he is the best one.

Tonights Attendance:  49 students and 449 adults.  Duquesne basketball did this to themselves.

2/28/2024 10:45 am  #11

FAM wrote:

Bluff...you are probably correct.  We aren't getting an NCAA at large bid, we aren't getting an NIT at large bid, and we aren't good enough to win the A-10.  I hope Harper is working hard on bringing in a new coach who can do this.  It's the same old story with Duquesne.  WE are used to it...we are like the Chicago Cubs fans for many, many years.  If he wants to hire Dru Joyce, fine...but please interview other quality candidates and make sure he is the best one.

Tonights Attendance:  49 students and 449 adults.  Duquesne basketball did this to themselves.

I hope you enjoy forcing yourself to be miserable but don’t shove it down our throats here because there are still folks who believe. This team has the explosiveness offensively and intensity defensively to make a run in Brooklyn. The Cubs won the World Series in 2016.

2/28/2024 1:17 pm  #12

I'm not miserable but sometimes I do have to try and force myself to be positive about this Dukes team. A 16-11 record is so far from what I was expecting along with most on this board. It is evident by now that this team can beat lots of average to slightly above average teams but can also lose to every single one of those same teams. This from an eternal optimist. Sure, I hope that we can make a run but in no way do I truly expect to see it. Just seen too much flat-out disappointing basketball not only this year but other years as well to expect anything more than what we are getting. Hoping against hope that we see something more from whomever inherits this program.  Having said all the aforementioned --GO DUKES!!

Last edited by El Presidente (2/28/2024 1:24 pm)

2/28/2024 4:22 pm  #13

El Presidente wrote:

I'm not miserable but sometimes I do have to try and force myself to be positive about this Dukes team. A 16-11 record is so far from what I was expecting along with most on this board. It is evident by now that this team can beat lots of average to slightly above average teams but can also lose to every single one of those same teams. This from an eternal optimist. Sure, I hope that we can make a run but in no way do I truly expect to see it. Just seen too much flat-out disappointing basketball not only this year but other years as well to expect anything more than what we are getting. Hoping against hope that we see something more from whomever inherits this program.  Having said all the aforementioned --GO DUKES!!

Good post. In every sport, only one team wins it all, the rest are always waiting for next year. Sports are only for the optimist really. Let's beat LaSalle, then worry about the next game. Go Dukes.

2/28/2024 4:24 pm  #14

Air Duquesne is still flying, but the engines are sputtering.  Beat La Salle and they are still flying.  Lose tonight and the nose is definitely pointed at the ground.

2/28/2024 4:29 pm  #15

2/28/2024 4:35 pm  #16

From the Dukes game notes:
WHERE'S THE BEEF? Balance. Elbow. Eyes on target. Follow through. Senior guard Dae Dae Grant has used those mantras to put forth an amazing performance at the free-throw line this season. Grant is averaging 5.33 attempts per game at the stripe in 2023-24 and has recorded 10 games this year in which he has fi nished 5-for-5 or better at the chalk, including a 10-for-10 performance at Fordham. That performance matched a 10-for-10 showing in a 68-59 win over Saint Peter's earlier this season. The Duquesne single-season (91.8%) and career records (87.7%) for free-throw percentage are both held by former guard Rick Suder (1983-86), with Grant in line to break both marks. Grant is shooting 96.1 percent (123-for-128) during the 2023-24 season and owns a career success rate of 92.2 percent (212-for-230) in two seasons with the Dukes

2/28/2024 5:35 pm  #17

The probably view...the Dukes will "probably" win because they are playing an average team at home.  Look for them to get smashed on Saturday...an away game against a team with a good record.  Yes, I have lost hope for another year.

2/28/2024 6:39 pm  #18

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

From the Dukes game notes:
WHERE'S THE BEEF? Balance. Elbow. Eyes on target. Follow through. Senior guard Dae Dae Grant has used those mantras to put forth an amazing performance at the free-throw line this season. Grant is averaging 5.33 attempts per game at the stripe in 2023-24 and has recorded 10 games this year in which he has fi nished 5-for-5 or better at the chalk, including a 10-for-10 performance at Fordham. That performance matched a 10-for-10 showing in a 68-59 win over Saint Peter's earlier this season. The Duquesne single-season (91.8%) and career records (87.7%) for free-throw percentage are both held by former guard Rick Suder (1983-86), with Grant in line to break both marks. Grant is shooting 96.1 percent (123-for-128) during the 2023-24 season and owns a career success rate of 92.2 percent (212-for-230) in two seasons with the Dukes

This is a great accomplishment for Dae Dae and the work he puts in has paid dividends.  Let's hope he can lead the nation as well.  Congratulations Dae Dae!

2/28/2024 6:45 pm  #19

FAM wrote:

The probably view...the Dukes will "probably" win because they are playing an average team at home.  Look for them to get smashed on Saturday...an away game against a team with a good record.  Yes, I have lost hope for another year.

As reported by Tristan Freeman, LaSalle is on an upswing and playing its best basketball as they visit the Dukes.  I'm a little surprised that the Line appears to be holding at Duquesne( -8) so apparently the money is pretty even at that number.  The A-10 is a very unpredictable league this year.  I hope the Dukes can pull this win out, but if I had to make a call on this, I think I'd take the points.

2/28/2024 6:49 pm  #20

FAM wrote:

With KD benching a very top Grad transfer the entire A-10 season, the entire season changed. We are a very different team after that point. And not a good one.

2/28/2024 7:54 pm  #21

NapaDuke wrote:

FAM wrote:

With KD benching a very top Grad transfer the entire A-10 season, the entire season changed. We are a very different team after that point. And not a good one.

Not sure what the love affair this coach has with Williams (0-3 fg with one rebound). Feel really bad for Savrasov and H Drame. This is just nuts. 

2/28/2024 7:54 pm  #22

NapaDuke wrote:

FAM wrote:

Napa, I would like to see some Savrasov too, but the facts don’t follow this sentiment. We’ve gone on a pretty good run of games without him to get us back to chasing a top 6 bye.

We need to tighten up defensively. 34 points allowed against this team is too many. We lock things down on that end, we win this game by 15.

2/28/2024 8:05 pm  #23

Well I asked, and I have received so far to start the 2nd half. Outstanding defense. Keep it up.

2/28/2024 8:23 pm  #24

Looking a lot better this half. 

2/28/2024 8:25 pm  #25

Cannon glad LaSalle guy going for the plus 1.

Board footera