Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/19/2024 8:39 am  #1

3/19/2024 12:33 pm  #2

Re: Verbal Commits Transfer Portal

I was surprised to see that Robby Carmody is in the portal again.  He still has a year left of eligibility (next year will be his 7th) because of all the time he was injured. 

Would it be possible that Hassan Drame could get another year since his graduate year was cut short due to injury?

3/19/2024 3:38 pm  #3

Lots of guys already in the portal. Big names like Josh Cohen, Jahmir Brickus, Sincere Parker already in there from the A10. One surprise is GMU's Keyshawn Hall is not in yet. 

3/19/2024 4:25 pm  #4

Maximus Edwards from GW is also in the portal already and just released a list of schools that have contacted him with interest. Duquesne was listed.

3/19/2024 4:32 pm  #5

Most interesting name to me is Tyson Acuff after a season in which he finished 8th in the country in scoring? Any chance he’d want to come back?

3/19/2024 5:06 pm  #6

luckymcd wrote:

Most interesting name to me is Tyson Acuff after a season in which he finished 8th in the country in scoring? Any chance he’d want to come back?

Thought I saw Toby Okani in there too.

3/19/2024 5:14 pm  #7

BluffHunter wrote:

Maximus Edwards from GW is also in the portal already and just released a list of schools that have contacted him with interest. Duquesne was listed.

He really got my attention. Looked comfy at the Coop.

3/19/2024 6:58 pm  #8

It should be interesting to see how/if DU's portal shopping is affected by the coaching change & its timing. 

I think that if the decision to promote DJ has been finalized, that announcement would be made in the next 72 hours so as to dive right in with the recruits. I think the same has to be true for current players considering greener pastures.

You definitely need a coach to get a handle on who is coming & going.

The student newspaper article & the fact that Maximus has heard from Duquesne suggests that DJ is the guy.

3/19/2024 10:14 pm  #9

Rutgers Antwone Woolfolk getting interest from Duquesne as well. I’d also say that recruiting now would be a pretty good indicator that Joyce will be next up.

https://x.com/theportalreport/status/1770276668013249018?s=46

Last edited by BluffHunter (3/19/2024 10:15 pm)

3/20/2024 7:57 am  #10

luckymcd wrote:

I don’t have the energy to pull up an ancient post but I clearly remember catching some condescending flack in this forum when I suggested it was a failure of KD to let Tyson Acuff leave.

3/20/2024 8:05 am  #11

Nice to see we are in contact with some players, those are bigger fellas, esp the Rutgers kid.   We need ball handlers, shooters, scorers.   Edwards from GW averaged 12 and 6, would be a nice fit.  He was heavily recruited out of HS, and chose GW, maybe he wants a crack at the power conf level?   Who knows.   But still, good to see we are in the mix.....even though we have to go play in the NCAA tournament!!!

It just seems way too early to be looking at this.    Portal should not open until AFTER the championship game.  Maybe then Capel can balance a NIT schedule by itself, and then the portal by itself.

3/20/2024 8:22 am  #12

3/20/2024 8:23 am  #13

This portal is insane already.  I wish they would leave it closed until Final Four or a Championship is crowned for the teams currently playing in the tournaments.  Just an crazy amount of players already, NCAA Basketball Free Agency!

3/20/2024 8:26 am  #14

I thought the DU coaching staff mismanaged Acuff from the get go. I too was sorry to see him go.

His teams at Eastern Michigan were truly bad. I'll bet he is looking for a place to win. I would expect that his poor 3pt shooting percentage limits the number of strong programs that he is attractive to.

It seems unlikely that he would return to The Bluff but, I would welcome that scenario.

3/20/2024 2:21 pm  #15

3/20/2024 3:27 pm  #16

More big names from the A10 today. Khalil Brantley of La Salle, Chad Venning of Bonaventure, and Grant Huffman (who had to transfer anyway as Davidson does not have a grad school.)

3/20/2024 6:41 pm  #17

This is a position of need & this guy would probably fill that need nicely. 2 years of eligibility is also huge.

3/20/2024 7:53 pm  #18

townsonkid wrote:

It just seems way too early to be looking at this.    Portal should not open until AFTER the championship game.  Maybe then Capel can balance a NIT schedule by itself, and then the portal by itself.

But then when would he game plan for Southeastern West Virginia Tech or whoever they're going to open with next season?

3/21/2024 9:15 am  #19

More names from the A10 filtering in include SLU's Gibson Jimerson and UMass' Keon Thompson. Lots of A10 talent hitting the portal.

3/21/2024 9:51 am  #20

BluffHunter wrote:

More names from the A10 filtering in include SLU's Gibson Jimerson and UMass' Keon Thompson. Lots of A10 talent hitting the portal.

Yeah, you could build quite a team out of A10 transfers, but I honestly think we could be in a position to do better.

3/21/2024 9:55 am  #21

Jimerson can still play college ball?

3/22/2024 7:57 pm  #22

3/24/2024 11:31 am  #23

3/24/2024 1:03 pm  #24

3/24/2024 1:16 pm  #25

Kind of sad it's come to all that. But, we have no choice but to play the game.

Board footera