Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/23/2024 10:33 pm  #1

3/23/2024 11:16 pm  #2

Re: Duquesne To The Big East?

I think Gonzaga would be added.Duquesne would be another miracle,maybe St.Louis.Xaiver would do everyting in their power to make sure Dayton never gets in.The schools are too close together and Dayton adds nothing with Tv exposure. Who knows? Pittsburgh is a bigger tv market than Dayton.

3/23/2024 11:17 pm  #3

Gonzaga for sure.

3/24/2024 12:29 am  #4

Our performance this year gives me more hope. Big East would love the Pittsburgh market since Pitt left.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

3/24/2024 8:45 am  #5

People who I have spoken to that are close to the Xavier program tell me they have been advocating for the Dukes all along. I can also say that prior to Gormley and Harper there was no stomach for meeting the Big East criteria. Big East definitely wants back in the Pittsburgh market. 

3/24/2024 9:02 am  #6

If this change in conference has even a remote chance of coming to fruition, Duquesne needs to conduct an aggressive, national search for a new coach rather than moving forward with DJ in the next few days. I am not saying that they couldn't stil, ultimately, choose him. I am saying that even without a move to the BE, the Duquesne job is now quite a desirable one but with a move to the BE, it would be one of the hotter jobs open this year.

Being an Olean native & lifelong Bonnie fan, (with the exception of the 2 or 3 games when they play my beloved Dukes), I would be sad to leave the A-10. However, not so sad as to advocate against the opportunity to get into a mega Big East.

3/24/2024 9:07 am  #7

We can always dream for Duquesne and their basketball future.Been doing that since December of 1965.
Kind of emotional for me today,reviewing what has transpired this season,a dream come true.Its time to
take the money and donations to build a solid NIL fund so we can recruit talent for a even better future.

3/24/2024 9:33 am  #8

Since metric matter so much now, being in the BE has some built in metrics for just playing the league schedule.  Recruiting would get a boost too.

3/24/2024 9:36 am  #9

Big East??? Gonzaga and St. Mary's are in the far, far west. I think it's already odd that teams from Nebraska and Wisconsin are in a league called the Big EAST.   They need to change the name to something else.  Plus, every school that made the name synonmous with winning, are no longer in the league or they now stink (Georgetown and St. John's).  Also, there are now five teams in the Big East that had nothing to do with the Patrick Ewing, Chris Mullin, Pearl Washington days, a reputation the league still lives off.
Then again, it's a little weird St. Louis is in the ATLANTIC 10.  

3/24/2024 9:52 am  #10

If Gonzaga joins the Big East, what happens to the hopes and dreams of all those teams who were going to be the Gonzaga of the East?

3/24/2024 10:09 am  #11

I am really tired of the Big East poaching our conference whenever they feel the need.  I would rather see the two conferences merge completely and produce a super conference spread across the east coast and Midwest.

3/24/2024 11:03 am  #12

phil95 wrote:

If this change in conference has even a remote chance of coming to fruition, Duquesne needs to conduct an aggressive, national search for a new coach rather than moving forward with DJ in the next few days. I am not saying that they couldn't stil, ultimately, choose him. I am saying that even without a move to the BE, the Duquesne job is now quite a desirable one but with a move to the BE, it would be one of the hotter jobs open this year.

Being an Olean native & lifelong Bonnie fan, (with the exception of the 2 or 3 games when they play my beloved Dukes), I would be sad to leave the A-10. However, not so sad as to advocate against the opportunity to get into a mega Big East.

I hope DU names Dru tomorrow or Tuesday the latest.  I say this for the following reasons:

1).Why shop for hot dogs when you already have steaks in the fridge. I really think people underestimate Dru's role in the Duquesne turnaround and run to the A10 Championship. Dru has been here for two years and DU has won 20 plus games both years.  KD said that Dru ran the defense which has been the key to this team's success.  Moreover, KD has said that Dru is really basketball smart and has groomed him for the job. I would just ask the question, who could Duquesne hire who would do better than what this coaching staff has accomplished this year? 

2)  I really want to see DU retain the core returning players and I think the players all like and respect Dru and gives us the best chance to keep these guys. I would also like to see the entire staff return.

3) Don't underestimate the LeBron connection financially and otherwise.  I truly believe that this connection could propel to better recruiting and maybe even to the Big East. 

Like Adrian Monk said: I could be wrong. but I don't think so. 

Last edited by CLK (3/24/2024 11:04 am)

3/24/2024 11:21 am  #13

I think you’re right, and Monday makes a lot of sense. The only way I could see them waiting until Tuesday is to give Monday to WBB.

Last edited by Face (3/24/2024 11:21 am)

3/24/2024 11:57 am  #14

indygjm wrote:

I am really tired of the Big East poaching our conference whenever they feel the need.  I would rather see t

he two conferences merge completely and produce a super conference spread across the east coast and Midwest.

This is a wild comment. Duquesne going to the Big East would be the best thing that ever happened to us, beyond most of our wildest dreams and expectations.

3/24/2024 11:57 am  #15

Some thoughts on the subject.

Back when the Big East was formed and we were invited to join I was glad that we stayed in the Eastern 8 which is now the A-10.  It was the better league at the time.  Villanova also was begging us to stay in the league which included teams that are now in the Big 10, ACC, Big 12 as well as the Big East.  But the Big East named Dave Gavitt as commissioner while we had Bob Cousy.  Gavitt's savvy as an administrator would have the Big East leaving the A-10 in the dust.  

If this comes to fruition it would be a basketball megaconference and I want to be part of that because I want at large bids in the future. I hate the idea of leaving the A-10 but it's something that must be done if the opportunity presents itself. 

The Pittsburgh TV market has to be a major factor in us being considered for an invite.  I am happy to hear that Xavier may be on our side.  I'd love to play them again every year as I'd get to see my old friend Bob Koester more often.

Another major factor in being invited is NIL money.  I'm sure there's a minimum criteria required by the Big East and I'm thinking that if this has gotten to the point that you and I know about it we've either already met that criteria or are very close to it.

If we would join the Big East I hope we continue to schedule the Bonnies every year rotating home games.

I think Dru will be our new coach.  I think the announcement will be after the WNIT game tomorrow, perhaps on Tuesday.

Come out and support the women tomorrow.  I'll be there and it would be great if we had a packed house.  If you haven't seen Megan McConnell play in person you really should come out.  She is a treat to watch and in my biased opinion the best player in the A-10.

3/24/2024 11:58 am  #16

CLK wrote:

phil95 wrote:

I hope DU names Dru tomorrow or Tuesday the latest.  I say this for the following reasons:

1).Why shop for hot dogs when you already have steaks in the fridge. I really think people underestimate Dru's role in the Duquesne turnaround and run to the A10 Championship. Dru has been here for two years and DU has won 20 plus games both years.  KD said that Dru ran the defense which has been the key to this team's success.  Moreover, KD has said that Dru is really basketball smart and has groomed him for the job. I would just ask the question, who could Duquesne hire who would do better than what this coaching staff has accomplished this year? 

2)  I really want to see DU retain the core returning players and I think the players all like and respect Dru and gives us the best chance to keep these guys. I would also like to see the entire staff return.

3) Don't underestimate the LeBron connection financially and otherwise.  I truly believe that this connection could propel to better recruiting and maybe even to the Big East. 

Like Adrian Monk said: I could be wrong. but I don't think so. 

This is 100% spot on CLK!

3/24/2024 1:09 pm  #17

Well connected sources are now letting it be known that Harper/DU is slowing the DJ announcement while evaluating what the last 10 days has done to attract higher profile/more experienced candidates. This seems prudent to me.

3/24/2024 1:22 pm  #18

I agree it is, just hope it doesn't hurt anything in the relationship.

3/24/2024 1:49 pm  #19

Phil - if you are hearing correctly, testing the waters for interest I could support.  But the portal activity and the importance of both it and high school talent causes me to support CLK’s assertion that we need to act quickly to keep this current momentum alive.  Also, many of our returnees would be important in my mind to retain.  Chemistry is an intangible pretty much but is an asset to a winning future.

3/24/2024 1:56 pm  #20

Keeping in mind that this whole thread is based on speculation, and now, well connected rumors, I say if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

3/24/2024 2:02 pm  #21

The source of this info also had some details of the very sexy details of what the LeBron camp is supposedly offering to lock the job down for DJ. Because  the details of those details would expose the source, I am going to leave them out. Suffice it to say, during DJ would most certainly come with unusual benefits to a program like ours.

On another note, I think that many posters are discounting the idea that an outside candidate is likely to bring players from his current job as well as high school commits & the portal personnel that candidate has already been working. That could be a goldmine.

3/24/2024 2:09 pm  #22

Good points, Phil.  I think either scenario has great potential.  I was just kind of thinking the “ain’t broke” thoughts Mike expressed.  Either way, fun times.

3/24/2024 2:51 pm  #23

It’s a great time to be a Duke. We had the attention of not only the city, but the whole country for the past week. We represented ourselves really well in Omaha on and off the court. We’ve got the chance to bring in a big name coach or “settle” for an up and coming coach with connections to the biggest name in basketball today. While I think it’s an incredible long shot we go to the Big East, even being mentioned in the conversation was preposterous just a month ago. It’s been a great couple weeks, but like President Gormley said the good times are just starting.

3/24/2024 3:03 pm  #24

VBC wrote:

Come out and support the women tomorrow.  I'll be there and it would be great if we had a packed house.  If you haven't seen Megan McConnell play in person you really should come out.  She is a treat to watch and in my biased opinion the best player in the A-10.

I’ve got a red-eye back home tonight. So I’m still in Omaha. Walking to mass today I saw this and had to take a picture. https://ibb.co/K6yyt1t  Check out the street sign. Dukes are everywhere in Omaha, even the women’s team.

3/24/2024 3:09 pm  #25

Sorry to break up the rumor mill, but but it appears that Dru Joyce is Duquesne only choice. I would be shocked if Dru is mot named early this week.

https://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2024/03/24/weiss-joyce-is-duquesnes-only-choice/

Board footera