Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/25/2024 12:01 pm  #1

Dru Joyce III

I want to start by saying that I could be happy to see Dru as the next head coach.  I think his connection to Lebron can only yield positive financial gains to our NIL and that connection will succeed with drawing higher end talent. Furthermore, the continuity with current players is a major plus.  But I am shocked at the seemingly unanimous acceptance of his appointment on this board.  And the animus of some thrown at whomever feels otherwise.  Charles Thomas (or the other Thomas, I can’t remember) has many many more years asst coaching experience under KD and he was given the job coaching a newly promoted Div 1 program. I doubt he had any other offers to head coach a D1 program.  What I’m saying is, when the dust settles, are we handing the keys to our new shiny sports car to a 16 year old kid because he hangs with the popular crowd?  Dru has 5 years asst coaching experience (2 of those Covid years,) at a low profile conference school and middle of the pack A10 school.  If he was not Lebron’s friend, would we like this hire?  Would we have liked a Thomas brother being the next HC if KD pushed for it?  KD head coached over 20 years with a lot of success before coming here at a school with a better profile than Cleveland St and he was out of his depth for much of his first 7 years.  Dru has been an asst coach for 5 years…

3/25/2024 1:38 pm  #2

Re: Dru Joyce III

KD started somewhere too. Dru just put a ride through the A-10 Championship and NCAA win on his resume. Experience comes in many ways. He has I believe 12 years pro experience and as a point guard ran a pro offense. He knows the kids and knows the A-10. Besides knowing Lebron, his Dad was a coach. He's got enough on his resume to give him the job.

Last edited by NapaDuke (3/25/2024 1:56 pm)

3/25/2024 2:09 pm  #3

Cleary is not D1. They are NAIA.

3/25/2024 2:22 pm  #4

factcheck wrote:

Animus!

3/25/2024 2:23 pm  #5

factcheck wrote:

Thanks. I remembered reading something like the program was new so i misremembered that it was new to DI instead of new altogether. 

Napa, there is no way you can tell me there is enough on his resume. The Lebron connection is the only reason he’s being considered!  I actually think it might be enough - but I am reticent to say he should be hired.  I don’t need to list for you a bunch of men who have failed as HC who were either a former pro player or a child of a coach  Those are small intangible assets that help bolster a resume.  You are right that everybody has to start somewhere - it’s usually somewhere smaller and lower profile.  Next season, if hired, Dru will be tasked with matching wits with Chris Mooney, Mark Schmidt, Drew Valentine, Archie Manning etc having NEVER head coached a game in college basketball in his life.

3/25/2024 2:24 pm  #6

MikeR wrote:

factcheck wrote:

Animus!

I believe Factcheck was helping me make my point

3/25/2024 2:27 pm  #7

Styles...you bring up excellent questions.  We have no idea of the answers but your comments are fair.  I was also wondering if Dru does get the job, would he bring back the other Thomas brother who was just let go with the whole staff at St. Louis.  He was only there one year and the "gossip" was that he may have left the. Dukes because Dru was brought on and kind of got ahead of him positionally.   Coach Thomas was the person responsible for recruiting Clark and he is a very, very good recruiter.

Harper and Gormley have some tough decisions to make.  I don't envy them.

3/25/2024 2:58 pm  #8

It's a gamble whatever you do. I'm choosing continuity over chaos. Getting into the coaching scramble with many, many teams way more desperate than us right now could take weeks. We would be dealing with snubs, false hopes, and bidding wars. Or we could be hitting the portal hard while we have some juice, and maybe finding a DiMichele or two in the high school ranks.

Last edited by MikeR (3/25/2024 2:59 pm)

3/25/2024 3:05 pm  #9

Styles1229 wrote:

factcheck wrote:

Thanks. I remembered reading something like the program was new so i misremembered that it was new to DI instead of new altogether.

Napa, there is no way you can tell me there is enough on his resume. The Lebron connection is the only reason he’s being considered! I actually think it might be enough - but I am reticent to say he should be hired. I don’t need to list for you a bunch of men who have failed as HC who were either a former pro player or a child of a coach Those are small intangible assets that help bolster a resume. You are right that everybody has to start somewhere - it’s usually somewhere smaller and lower profile. Next season, if hired, Dru will be tasked with matching wits with Chris Mooney, Mark Schmidt, Drew Valentine, Archie Manning etc having NEVER head coached a game in college basketball in his life.

Good points. He will be up against some great coaches. But coaching in a lower league to prove yourself is no assurance that then you come up here you can win either. Look at Ferry. We won't know if any coach coming up will win until they do. 

3/25/2024 3:53 pm  #10

Some good points, Styles1229.  But Dru and Charles Thomas are two different situations.  As far as I knew, Charles main responsibility was to recruit, maintain player relationships and coach individual skills.  He was pretty damn good in that role as assistant coach (and was able to land a similar role at Saint Louis).  I don't believe that Charles would ever have been considered for a D-1 head coaching job; his age is probably a big factor.  The same probably holds true with Carl Thomas; getting the head coaching job at Cleary to start that program was probably a good move for him; he might be able to parlay that move into a bigger head coaching job in D-2 or low level D-1.  

Dru on the other hand has been responsible for the defensive strategy, game plan and coaching over the last 2 years (and that defense carried us to the NCAA).  He's the guy who has the last word with the 5 players on the court after a timeout.  He has been running the practices during Keith's absences. He has a deep connection with the players and they respect him greatly. 

As an assistant at Cleveland State, Dru was part of the staff who helped secure a NCAA bid - the 3rd one in Cleveland State history and first in 12 years (and they won their first round game against 4th seeded Wake Forest). Dru was the recruiting coordinator and involved in player development (similar to Charles Thomas role at Duquesne). 

Dru also had an outstanding pro career in Europe as a point guard.  He broke the all time assists record in the Basketball Bundesliga, Germany's top pro league.  Playing in Europe is tough because the roster turns over a lot due to one/two year contracts being signed; and as a point guard, you are trying to navigate through all of this turnover and players from different nationalities. Dru certainly has to have quality leadership skills to thrive in that environment.  Dru also set the career assists record at Akron.

He has been doing many of the tasks and developing the skillsets needed to be a D-1 head coach.  At 40, he is D-1 head coach material.

Now that being said, is Dru head coach material in the A10?  I'm curious to know why he didn't get the head coach job at Cleveland State.  Was it lack of experience (just 3 years in the coaching ranks)?  Were there any weaknesses/areas of concern that prevented him from getting the job there?

Dave Harper and staff have had two years to vet Dru, both his background and his body of work at Duquesne.  If they felt that Dru was not the guy, the search for the replacement started months ago when it became likely that Keith would be retiring.  I expect Dru to be named as Keith's replacement this week, and I will be very happy to see this.

3/25/2024 3:54 pm  #11

I've gone on the record saying I hope we do at least explore outside candidates, but if it ends up being Joyce I'll support him 100%. The most important thing right now is cashing in on the success of the last couple weeks and the attention its has brought the university.

Like somebody else said, Harper has a tough job right now. One way to cash in would be to bring in a good coach who may not have been interested in the job a month ago. Doing so could take a few weeks though, which could kill recruiting. Another way would be to go for as much continuity as possible, and let the new old staff hit the road and recruit players that may not have been interested a month ago either. It's a tough call as to which will garner more success. I've expressed major disappointment in the athletic department as a whole, but I think Harper has done a great job, and I'm confident he will continue to do so.

3/25/2024 4:09 pm  #12

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

Some good points, Styles1229.  But Dru and Charles Thomas are two different situations.  As far as I knew, Charles main responsibility was to recruit, maintain player relationships and coach individual skills.  He was pretty damn good in that role as assistant coach (and was able to land a similar role at Saint Louis).  I don't believe that Charles would ever have been considered for a D-1 head coaching job; his age is probably a big factor.  The same probably holds true with Carl Thomas; getting the head coaching job at Cleary to start that program was probably a good move for him; he might be able to parlay that move into a bigger head coaching job in D-2 or low level D-1.  

Dru on the other hand has been responsible for the defensive strategy, game plan and coaching over the last 2 years (and that defense carried us to the NCAA).  He's the guy who has the last word with the 5 players on the court after a timeout.  He has been running the practices during Keith's absences. He has a deep connection with the players and they respect him greatly. 

As an assistant at Cleveland State, Dru was part of the staff who helped secure a NCAA bid - the 3rd one in Cleveland State history and first in 12 years (and they won their first round game against 4th seeded Wake Forest). Dru was the recruiting coordinator and involved in player development (similar to Charles Thomas role at Duquesne). 

Dru also had an outstanding pro career in Europe as a point guard.  He broke the all time assists record in the Basketball Bundesliga, Germany's top pro league.  Playing in Europe is tough because the roster turns over a lot due to one/two year contracts being signed; and as a point guard, you are trying to navigate through all of this turnover and players from different nationalities. Dru certainly has to have quality leadership skills to thrive in that environment.  Dru also set the career assists record at Akron.

He has been doing many of the tasks and developing the skillsets needed to be a D-1 head coach.  At 40, he is D-1 head coach material.

Now that being said, is Dru head coach material in the A10?  I'm curious to know why he didn't get the head coach job at Cleveland State.  Was it lack of experience (just 3 years in the coaching ranks)?  Were there any weaknesses/areas of concern that prevented him from getting the job there?

Dave Harper and staff have had two years to vet Dru, both his background and his body of work at Duquesne.  If they felt that Dru was not the guy, the search for the replacement started months ago when it became likely that Keith would be retiring.  I expect Dru to be named as Keith's replacement this week, and I will be very happy to see this.

I like what I’m reading here about different responsibilities.  I hear you saying one asst coach is not the same as the other as it pertains to responsibilities and if what you say is true about running practices and in game strategy then I certainly feel better.  But, as you point out, if he wasn’t the guy in Clevo when the time came I’d love to know why. This is a big job and it scares me to hire someone who has never been a head coach before.  Also, I’m less concerned about continuity than I am about experience. With the portal, building a team from scratch is easier than ever. Of course I’d prefer continuity but not at the expense of a quality candidate and experience.  I still contend, Dru is being considered primarily for his relationship with LeBron and all the benefits that come with it .  Take that away and look at his resume and tell me you think we should hire him.  He may be a good HC candidate somewhere but certainly not the defending A10 Champs.

Man that sounds nice.

3/25/2024 4:30 pm  #13

It seems relevant that no specific rumors are circulating about other possible candidates to replace KD on the more prominent coaching carousel platforms. 8 days is a long time in this line of work to have heard nothing of substance.

3/25/2024 4:41 pm  #14

I believe DJ is more than capable of handling both the technical aspects of the game & recruiting. He is also as well connected as one can be in the sport. The question is what level of mastery he has with the executive functions of being an A-10 coach.

It seems like the university could offer an unusual amount of administrative support in this area until Dru has gained the appropriate experience by bringing in a retired coach or AD as a consultant. Every person that starts a new job of this size & significance needs different kinds of support & plenty of it.

Last edited by phil95 (3/25/2024 4:43 pm)

3/25/2024 4:59 pm  #15

phil95 wrote:

It seems relevant that no specific rumors are circulating about other possible candidates to replace KD on the more prominent coaching carousel platforms. 8 days is a long time in this line of work to have heard nothing of substance.

phil95, absolutely.  In reality, this was probably known for months that Keith was probably going to retire.  I'm sure that Harper had agents for coaches make contact with him for the last several months, but no one was pushing a narrative for their man to be the next coach.  Shoot, Zac Weiss knew that Keith was retiring a couple of months ago (Weiss: Personal Reflections Of A Special Season With Duquesne Basketball - Pittsburgh Sports Now ).  Yet no leaks/rumors/names.

Last edited by PhoenixRising2 (3/25/2024 4:59 pm)

3/25/2024 5:02 pm  #16

I'll apologize in advance because this is going to be a long one, but I wrote it all out so I'm going to post it. Obviously Joyce is a candidate for the job, but I don't think I need to run down his story here. I put together a list of guys who could possibly be candidates if we do look outside the current staff. Are these guys interested, even after this great run? I have no idea. Are they an upgrade from Joyce? I can’t really say because we don’t know what he’d do as a head coach. Does Dave Harper have any interest in any of them? I don’t know, but I’ve said enough already, so here’s my list of possible candidates. They fall into a few categories, so I’ll run them down by groups.

Up and coming coaches who may be looking to step up in level:

Matt Langel - Starter for two NCAA appearances at Penn. Assistant for two more NCAA appearances under Fran Dunphy at Penn. Four more NCAA appearances as assistant to Dunphy at Temple. Took the head job at Colgate, who had never won 20 games in a season. Led Colgate to five 20+ win seasons and five NCAA appearances in the last six seasons. 

Pat Kelsay - Reserve for two NCAA appearances at Xavier. Assistant for 5 NCAA bids, including a Sweet Sixteen, under Skip Prosser at Wake Forest. Assistant for 50 wins in two seasons, including a Sweet Sixteen, at Xavier under Chris Mack. Five 20+ win seasons and three NCAA bids in nine seasons at Winthrop. 58 wins and two NCAA appearances in the last two seasons at Charleston. 

Mark Byington - Took over Georgia Southern program that had five straight losing seasons. Led the program to four 20+ wins in seven years. Took over James Madison program coming off four straight losing seasons. Led JMU to four straight winning seasons including 32 wins this year, including one in the NCAA Tournament.

Bryce Drew - Starter for three NCAA appearances, including a Sweet Sixteen at Valparaiso. Led his alma mater to four 20+ win seasons and two NCAA bids in five years as head coach. Led Vanderbilt to one NCAA appearance in three seasons. Led Grand Canyon to first two NCAA appearances in school history. 30 wins this year, including one in the NCAA tournament. 

Jerrod Calhoun - Assistant for 5 NCAA appearances, including a Sweet Sixteen and a Final Four, under Bob Huggins at West Virginia. Five straight 20+ win seasons, including four NCAA appearances and a championship game appearance, at Division II Fairmont State. Took over Youngstown State program that had 14 losing seasons in the previous 16 years. Led Youngstown to winning record in his third season and four straight additional winning seasons. 46 wins and the school’s first ever NIT bid over the last two seasons.

Phil Martelli Jr. - Reserve for two NCAA appearances playing for his father at St. Joe’s. Assistant for 20 win NIT team in only season at Manhattan. Assistant for two 20+ win seasons and an NCAA bid at Niagara. Assistant for 25 win team at Delaware. Assistant at Bryant for school’s first ever NCAA appearance. 20 wins in first year as a head coach this year at Bryant.

Bucky McMillian - Named head coach at Mountain Brook High School in Alabama at the age of 25. Led them to seven final fours and three state championships in 13 seasons. Took over Samford program that had just two 20 win seasons and zero NCAA bids in the previous 20 seasons. Led the program to three straight 20+ win seasons and an NCAA bid this year.

Successful coaches who may be interested because of local ties:

Herb Sendek - Penn Hills graduate and Carnegie Mellon alum who also was an assistant at Central Catholic for a year. Assistant for Final Four team under Rick Pitino at Providence. Assistant for an Elite Eight and Final Four team under Pitino at Kentucky. 63 wins and an NCAA big in three seasons at Miami Ohio. Five straight NCAA bids, including a Sweet Sixteen, at NC State. Five 20+ win seasons and two NCAA bids in nine years at Arizona State. Four 20 win seasons at Santa Clara.

Archie Miller - Beaver Fall native, played for his dad at Blackhawk High. Starting point guard for NCAA appearance at NC State. Assistant for three straight NCAA appearances under Herb Sendek at NC State. Assistant for two 20+ win seasons including an NCAA bid and NIT championship under Thad Matta at Ohio State. Assistant for 30 win Elite Eight team under his brother at Arizona. Hired as head coach by Dave Harper at Dayton. Led the Flyers to five 20+ seasons, four NCAA Appearances and one Elite Eight in six seasons. 67-58 record in four seasons at Indiana. 21-41 so far in two seasons at Rhode Island.

John Groce - Assistant for four NIT appearances in four years under Herb Sendek at NC State. Assistant for 24 wins and NCAA appearance in only season under Thad Matta at Butler. Assistant for three 26 win seasons, three NCAA bids, and an Elite Eight in three seasons under Matta at Xavier. 85 wins, two NCAA Appearances, and a Sweet 16 in four seasons as head coach at Ohio. 95 wins, but only one NCAA appearance in five years at Illinois before being fired. 20+ wins in four of the last five seasons at Akron, including two NCAA bids. 

Coaches who have had success, but are available because of recent struggles:

Mike Brey - 6 Final Fours in 9 years as an assistant at Duke. Took Delaware to back-to-back NCAA appearances. 13 NCAA bids in 23 years at Notre Dame including two Elite Eights and a Sweet Sixteen. Resigned after an 11-21 season last year, but said he was not retiring. Currently an assistant for the Atlanta Hawks.

Travis Ford - Starting point guard for Final Four team at Kentucky. Took over an Eastern Kentucky program that had won 9 games in two years. Led them to 22 wins and an NCAA bid in his fifth year. Back-to-back 24 win seasons at UMass. 5 NCAA bids in 8 years at Oklahoma State. Four out of five 20+ win seasons at St. Louis. Fired after a 13-20 record this year.

Derek Kellogg - Captain for Elite Eight team at UMass. Assistant for Final Four team at Memphis. 3 straight 20+ win seasons at UMass. Led LIU to NCAA Tournament in first season. Fired after fifth season with .500 record. Assistant under Frank Martin at UMass and Doug McDermott at Creighton in the last two seasons.

Mike Davis - Assistant for 3 straight 20+ win seasons and NCAA bids under Bobby Knight at Indiana. 3 more 20+ win seasons including one Final Four after taking over as head coach for the Hoosiers. Four 20+ win seasons in six years at UAB. Four NCAA bids in six seasons at Texas Southern. Fired at Detroit this year after 60 wins in 6 seasons.

Mike Anderson - Starter on NIT champion at Tulsa. Assistant for 3 Final Fours, including one championship, under Nolan Richardson at Arkansas. Four 20+ win seasons, including a Sweet 16, in four years at UAB. 3 straight NCAA appearances, including an Elite Eight, at Missouri. Four 20+ win seasons out of seven at Arkansas. Fired last year after four seasons at St. John’s with zero NCAA appearances. 0 losing records in 21 seasons as division 1 coach.

3/25/2024 5:05 pm  #17

phil95 wrote:

I believe DJ is more than capable of handling both the technical aspects of the game & recruiting. He is also as well connected as one can be in the sport. The question is what level of mastery he has with the executive functions of being an A-10 coach.

It seems like the university could offer an unusual amount of administrative support in this area until Dru has gained the appropriate experience by bringing in a retired coach or AD as a consultant. Every person that starts a new job of this size & significance needs different kinds of support & plenty of it.

Totally agree again, phil95.  As an example, Ron Everhart had some serious shortcomings on the admin detail side of his job and also in coaching personnel retention. Instead of the admin; i.e. the Quinnipiac Clown, helping out to support, train, teach, etc., they instead threw Ron under the bus.  This is not the case with this administration and university leadership.  No one can be an expert on all facets of a higher level D-1 coach, so support is absolutely required or the program will fail.  If Dru needs some extra support, I have no doubt that he will get it.

3/25/2024 6:04 pm  #18

A Miller? A Miller? We need a Hurley!

3/25/2024 6:32 pm  #19

phil95 wrote:

This is a great point. Yes coaching is coaching, but how much he might lack in the admin, but as you mentioned the admin should offer support that could be essential.

Last edited by NapaDuke (3/26/2024 1:56 am)

3/25/2024 6:34 pm  #20

I made my case in the other thread about why I think Dru will be named the new HC this week.  I will add two last points why I think Dru is the right choice.

1. Dambrot has already painstakingly built the infrastructure for success. This not only includes an experienced staff that works well together but the support staff.  It is highly probable that Dru will retain most if not all, but also there will be one opening for an associate head coach.  My guess is McFadden gets that job but there will be room for one more assistant.

2.  The world has changed.  If I am an AD the first question I am asking is how will you help us increase our NIL Fund.  This is where in my opinion the LeBron connection is huge.  You can be the most experienced coach but if you don't have a strong enough NIL fund to compete in your League you will not be successful.  Ask Fran Dunphry.   

3/25/2024 6:38 pm  #21

luckymcd wrote:

I'll apologize in advance because this is going to be a long one, but I wrote it all out so I'm going to post it. Obviously Joyce is a candidate for the job, but I don't think I need to run down his story here. I put together a list of guys who could possibly be candidates if we do look outside the current staff. Are these guys interested, even after this great run? I have no idea. Are they an upgrade from Joyce? I can’t really say because we don’t know what he’d do as a head coach. Does Dave Harper have any interest in any of them? I don’t know, but I’ve said enough already, so here’s my list of possible candidates. They fall into a few categories, so I’ll run them down by groups.

Up and coming coaches who may be looking to step up in level:

Matt Langel - Starter for two NCAA appearances at Penn. Assistant for two more NCAA appearances under Fran Dunphy at Penn. Four more NCAA appearances as assistant to Dunphy at Temple. Took the head job at Colgate, who had never won 20 games in a season. Led Colgate to five 20+ win seasons and five NCAA appearances in the last six seasons. 

Pat Kelsay - Reserve for two NCAA appearances at Xavier. Assistant for 5 NCAA bids, including a Sweet Sixteen, under Skip Prosser at Wake Forest. Assistant for 50 wins in two seasons, including a Sweet Sixteen, at Xavier under Chris Mack. Five 20+ win seasons and three NCAA bids in nine seasons at Winthrop. 58 wins and two NCAA appearances in the last two seasons at Charleston. 

Mark Byington - Took over Georgia Southern program that had five straight losing seasons. Led the program to four 20+ wins in seven years. Took over James Madison program coming off four straight losing seasons. Led JMU to four straight winning seasons including 32 wins this year, including one in the NCAA Tournament.

Bryce Drew - Starter for three NCAA appearances, including a Sweet Sixteen at Valparaiso. Led his alma mater to four 20+ win seasons and two NCAA bids in five years as head coach. Led Vanderbilt to one NCAA appearance in three seasons. Led Grand Canyon to first two NCAA appearances in school history. 30 wins this year, including one in the NCAA tournament. 

Jerrod Calhoun - Assistant for 5 NCAA appearances, including a Sweet Sixteen and a Final Four, under Bob Huggins at West Virginia. Five straight 20+ win seasons, including four NCAA appearances and a championship game appearance, at Division II Fairmont State. Took over Youngstown State program that had 14 losing seasons in the previous 16 years. Led Youngstown to winning record in his third season and four straight additional winning seasons. 46 wins and the school’s first ever NIT bid over the last two seasons.

Phil Martelli Jr. - Reserve for two NCAA appearances playing for his father at St. Joe’s. Assistant for 20 win NIT team in only season at Manhattan. Assistant for two 20+ win seasons and an NCAA bid at Niagara. Assistant for 25 win team at Delaware. Assistant at Bryant for school’s first ever NCAA appearance. 20 wins in first year as a head coach this year at Bryant.

Bucky McMillian - Named head coach at Mountain Brook High School in Alabama at the age of 25. Led them to seven final fours and three state championships in 13 seasons. Took over Samford program that had just two 20 win seasons and zero NCAA bids in the previous 20 seasons. Led the program to three straight 20+ win seasons and an NCAA bid this year.

Successful coaches who may be interested because of local ties:

Herb Sendek - Penn Hills graduate and Carnegie Mellon alum who also was an assistant at Central Catholic for a year. Assistant for Final Four team under Rick Pitino at Providence. Assistant for an Elite Eight and Final Four team under Pitino at Kentucky. 63 wins and an NCAA big in three seasons at Miami Ohio. Five straight NCAA bids, including a Sweet Sixteen, at NC State. Five 20+ win seasons and two NCAA bids in nine years at Arizona State. Four 20 win seasons at Santa Clara.

Archie Miller - Beaver Fall native, played for his dad at Blackhawk High. Starting point guard for NCAA appearance at NC State. Assistant for three straight NCAA appearances under Herb Sendek at NC State. Assistant for two 20+ win seasons including an NCAA bid and NIT championship under Thad Matta at Ohio State. Assistant for 30 win Elite Eight team under his brother at Arizona. Hired as head coach by Dave Harper at Dayton. Led the Flyers to five 20+ seasons, four NCAA Appearances and one Elite Eight in six seasons. 67-58 record in four seasons at Indiana. 21-41 so far in two seasons at Rhode Island.

John Groce - Assistant for four NIT appearances in four years under Herb Sendek at NC State. Assistant for 24 wins and NCAA appearance in only season under Thad Matta at Butler. Assistant for three 26 win seasons, three NCAA bids, and an Elite Eight in three seasons under Matta at Xavier. 85 wins, two NCAA Appearances, and a Sweet 16 in four seasons as head coach at Ohio. 95 wins, but only one NCAA appearance in five years at Illinois before being fired. 20+ wins in four of the last five seasons at Akron, including two NCAA bids. 

Coaches who have had success, but are available because of recent struggles:

Mike Brey - 6 Final Fours in 9 years as an assistant at Duke. Took Delaware to back-to-back NCAA appearances. 13 NCAA bids in 23 years at Notre Dame including two Elite Eights and a Sweet Sixteen. Resigned after an 11-21 season last year, but said he was not retiring. Currently an assistant for the Atlanta Hawks.

Travis Ford - Starting point guard for Final Four team at Kentucky. Took over an Eastern Kentucky program that had won 9 games in two years. Led them to 22 wins and an NCAA bid in his fifth year. Back-to-back 24 win seasons at UMass. 5 NCAA bids in 8 years at Oklahoma State. Four out of five 20+ win seasons at St. Louis. Fired after a 13-20 record this year.

Derek Kellogg - Captain for Elite Eight team at UMass. Assistant for Final Four team at Memphis. 3 straight 20+ win seasons at UMass. Led LIU to NCAA Tournament in first season. Fired after fifth season with .500 record. Assistant under Frank Martin at UMass and Doug McDermott at Creighton in the last two seasons.

Mike Davis - Assistant for 3 straight 20+ win seasons and NCAA bids under Bobby Knight at Indiana. 3 more 20+ win seasons including one Final Four after taking over as head coach for the Hoosiers. Four 20+ win seasons in six years at UAB. Four NCAA bids in six seasons at Texas Southern. Fired at Detroit this year after 60 wins in 6 seasons.

Mike Anderson - Starter on NIT champion at Tulsa. Assistant for 3 Final Fours, including one championship, under Nolan Richardson at Arkansas. Four 20+ win seasons, including a Sweet 16, in four years at UAB. 3 straight NCAA appearances, including an Elite Eight, at Missouri. Four 20+ win seasons out of seven at Arkansas. Fired last year after four seasons at St. John’s with zero NCAA appearances. 0 losing records in 21 seasons as division 1 coach.

Great list. Lots to consider. Asking A.Miller to come here is a long shot, but quite a few here are worth a look.

3/25/2024 6:51 pm  #22

CLK wrote:

I made my case in the other thread about why I think Dru will be named the new HC this week.  I will add two last points why I think Dru is the right choice.

1. Dambrot has already painstakingly built the infrastructure for success. This not only includes an experienced staff that works well together but the support staff.  It is highly probable that Dru will retain most if not all, but also there will be one opening for an associate head coach.  My guess is McFadden gets that job but there will be room for one more assistant.

2.  The world has changed.  If I am an AD the first question I am asking is how will you help us increase our NIL Fund.  This is where in my opinion the LeBron connection is huge.  You can be the most experienced coach but if you don't have a strong enough NIL fund to compete in your League you will not be successful.  Ask Fran Dunphry.   

I agree 100% with all the opinions on Dru and totally wish hope and pray he is the new coach!
Since nothing has been rumored about anyone else seems like this is the way Harper is going!
Of course I will support any new coach but in this day and age sadly NiL $ talks!
Perhaps there will be a press conference very soon as early as Tuesday?

Go D-R-U-quesne!

Last edited by Motor (3/25/2024 6:57 pm)

3/25/2024 7:03 pm  #23

Just kind of remember the last coach to get us to the dance was John Cinicola, Manning's  Asst. Coach. Years ago, but it's relevant that the present coach kind of knows what he is recommending. It's just one more piece of the puzzle. 

3/25/2024 9:20 pm  #24

I spoke very briefly with Ken Gormley at the WNIT game tonight.  Only 4 words.  He didn't say anything to me.

I said, I hope it's Dru.
Ken just smiled.

Read into that what you will.

3/25/2024 9:48 pm  #25

On a side note - and not wanting a new thread, I was also at the girls game tonight.  Mr. Dixon, Mr. Williams, and Mr. Clark were also there.  I talked a little with Tre.  What a great, polite, and kind young man.  I thanked all of them for what they did for everyone and they were polite, humble, and thankful.  Those are 3 high character men.

Things are so crazy in college sports.  One day you are doing well and the next moment you are in a well.  I remember a few years ago how strong Robert Morris was and we also had trouble beating them.  Since they changed leagues they have gone steadily down.  Today, they lost 4 players to the portal and two assistant coaches.
Wow!

Board footera