Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/09/2024 7:53 am  #1

Rozier's role on next year's team

Just curious about how secure everyone thinks Rozier's role is with next year's team...I see people on here and twitter refer to next year's team as Rozier's or it being Rozier's offense to run...I am rooting for him and hope it works out for the Dukes and Kareem, but his size and lack of having a single elite level part of his game (at least from what I've seen this past season) make me hesitant to lock that prediction in....especially with all the names we are seeing linked to Duquense in the portal...It's a lot of guards and lot of bigger guards. The only sub-6ft guard I've seen linked to us so far is David Coit from NIU and he was top 25 in D1 this past season in points per game (20.8)  

4/09/2024 9:19 am  #2

Re: Rozier's role on next year's team

I think the plan is to use his similarly to how he was in the last month or so of the season, 15-20 minutes a game. That was enough time to let his assets shine while not being a liability because of his size. As of now he is the best (only?) point guard on the roster though. So it all depends on what we bring in from the portal (as well as how good the freshman Aekins is). If the season started tomorrow I think we’d see more of what his role was at the beginning of the season; starting PG going 30-35 minutes every night.

4/09/2024 12:45 pm  #3

luckymcd wrote:

I think the plan is to use his similarly to how he was in the last month or so of the season, 15-20 minutes a game. That was enough time to let his assets shine while not being a liability because of his size. As of now he is the best (only?) point guard on the roster though. So it all depends on what we bring in from the portal (as well as how good the freshman Aekins is). If the season started tomorrow I think we’d see more of what his role was at the beginning of the season; starting PG going 30-35 minutes every night.

Right on. Rozier has much value to this team on and off the court.  The team clearly took a step forward last season when his minutes were reduced.  I can’t imagine a scenario where Dru doesn’t bring in at least 2 experienced guards, at least one of which to run the offense.

4/10/2024 6:42 pm  #4

I like Rozier. He contributes a lot to this team. But I'd like to see Rozier put on a little more muscle and play his opponent closer on defense. He could be more effective. If you can't get taller, get bigger and more physical. I'm glad he is back.

4/18/2024 7:03 pm  #5

Really? Players will usually get stronger as they mature and have the benefit of great equipment, specialized training and nutrition.  So I  expect Rozier and all of the returning players to get stronger, but I never thought Kareem was lacking in muscle to play at this level. I don’t recall seeing him getting knocked off the ball by stronger players, or getting pushed around on defense. I never saw a lack of muscle to be a problem for Kareem.

4/23/2024 5:46 pm  #6

levon1975 wrote:

Really? Players will usually get stronger as they mature and have the benefit of great equipment, specialized training and nutrition.  So I  expect Rozier and all of the returning players to get stronger, but I never thought Kareem was lacking in muscle to play at this level. I don’t recall seeing him getting knocked off the ball by stronger players, or getting pushed around on defense. I never saw a lack of muscle to be a problem for Kareem.

Just maybe you didn't go to Dukes games, I do. and for most of the season, defense was our only best part of most games. Rozier played 6 feet off his opponent every game I was there. He is of course small, but he is also not physical enough to play his opponent close enough to reduce their court vision. This is a great disadvantage.  BUT, when he is on offense his opponent plays him tight and physical making his less able to run the offense.  So, I will say it again, more than any returning player, Rozier needs to get more muscle and bigger so he can play tight on defense  and more physical to run the offense to contribute or he will likely get less time on court..

4/23/2024 6:11 pm  #7

NapaDuke wrote:

levon1975 wrote:

Just maybe you didn't go to Dukes games, I do. and for most of the season, defense was our only best part of most games. Rozier played 6 feet off his opponent every game I was there. He is of course small, but he is also not physical enough to play his opponent close enough to reduce their court vision. This is a great disadvantage.  BUT, when he is on offense his opponent plays him tight and physical making his less able to run the offense.  So, I will say it again, more than any returning player, Rozier needs to get more muscle and bigger so he can play tight on defense  and more physical to run the offense to contribute or he will likely get less time on court..

Good points Napa, but we all must admit Rozier is a winner and a leader. He'll get it done in the end, He has a sweet pull up jumper which should be put to use more often. He also makes those plays you never see in the box score. He's a street kid from Detroit. I have no worries about what he brings to the table, but that being said a kid like Crawford who is long would be a perfect fit with him in the backcourt along with either Dimichelle, Hronsky, and even Necas. Sign a guy like Dinkins as well and now were talking a big time backcourt. 

4/23/2024 6:20 pm  #8

Rayrich wrote:

NapaDuke wrote:

levon1975 wrote:

Good points Napa, but we all must admit Rozier is a winner and a leader. He'll get it done in the end, He has a sweet pull up jumper which should be put to use more often. He also makes those plays you never see in the box score. He's a street kid from Detroit. I have no worries about what he brings to the table, but that being said a kid like Crawford who is long would be a perfect fit with him in the backcourt along with either Dimichelle, Hronsky, and even Necas. Sign a guy like Dinkins as well and now were talking a big time backcourt. 

Rozier is a good player but get some muscle and play his opponet tight then he is a great player.

4/23/2024 9:06 pm  #9

NapaDuke wrote:

levon1975 wrote:

“Just maybe you are totally misguided!  I did go to the games and know that you are confusing his lack of length with weakness.

4/24/2024 3:34 pm  #10

I might add that I was also in n Omaha for the Dukes first game in the NCAA Iin 47-years; so don’t go there,  sport!

4/24/2024 5:15 pm  #11

levon1975 wrote:

I might add that I was also in n Omaha for the Dukes first game in the NCAA Iin 47-years; so don’t go there, sport!

I'm impressed you got there. I, on short notice didn't get there. My opinion on Rozier and yours doesn't vary that much in that, you and I want him to be a bigger part of next years team. You and I are splitting hairs on how he can improve his worth to get more time. Small points , really. I think Rozier this off season should find what parts of his game can be improved. My view is play tighter and disrupt his opponents game and steal the ball like Clark and Dae Dae could. How he does that is his choice. Also, I like debating you on these post. You debate, that's what blogs are for. Go Dukes.

4/24/2024 8:55 pm  #12

I was also in Omaha, for both games. I made predictions based on my assumption that Clark would be defending Shannon, which he almost never did. I will say the one time Rozier defended him he forced a turnover. I don't think it would have gone very well if he continued defending him, but you can't do any better than 1 for 1. 

Board footera