Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/08/2014 9:05 pm  #26

Re: Fordham game thread

Whew! 87-79 Dukes! 

1/08/2014 9:06 pm  #27

Five in a row!

1/08/2014 9:15 pm  #28

Glad we won.  We swept Fordham tonight.  Women won at Fordham.

1/08/2014 9:16 pm  #29

Nice game - effective coaching - and Colter played well.  Nice to enjoy one.

1/08/2014 9:17 pm  #30

My imagination or does every visiting team to the Palumbo suddenly evolve into the best three point shooting team in the nation?

1/08/2014 9:18 pm  #31

Stat lines tell the story. Both teams hit 25 FGs. They outshot us from 3, 16-7. But we hit 18 2-point FGs and 30 FTs and they only hit 9 2-point FGs and 13 FTs. Severe is a major chucker. But he, Frazier and Mandel can fill it up (they had 63 of Fordham's points and only two other Rams players scored). Duquesne had a balanced attack even with Soko scoring 29. Colter (14), Jeremiah Jones (12) and McKoy (10) also hit double digits. Nine Dukes scored and seven had at least five points each. 

1/08/2014 9:43 pm  #32

Big win by the Dukes.  They did not fold at the end.  Ridenour should take Micah's advice to Soko to stop looking at his feet when he shoots FTs and look at the basket.

1/08/2014 10:31 pm  #33

Going into game I gladly would have taken a 6 pt.win. Letting a 20 pt, lead almost slip away puts a little damper on it.  Mason wasn't open most of the night. Liked the freethrow shooting down the stretch. Didn't like the time management at the half. Get the ball with 15 seconds on the clock, rush down court, force a shot and give up a 3 at the buzzer. Take the last shot. Soko battled all night and seemed to wear down a little.

1/08/2014 10:39 pm  #34

We had em All the Way!!!!

1/09/2014 12:00 am  #35

We would not have won this game a month ago.  The team is improving very nicely.  The players and the coaching staff are to be commended for their efforts.

1/09/2014 12:46 am  #36

VBC wrote:

We would not have won this game a month ago.  The team is improving very nicely.  The players and the coaching staff are to be commended for their efforts.

It didn't look like we could reach double digit wins a month ago. Now the teens look very possible, and even a winning record. The next game is huge. A mid level opponent at home.

1/09/2014 9:13 am  #37

Sometimes Coulter drives me nuts, but last night he had a very good game. Coach put the ball in his hands to beat the pressing defense and he did not have a lot of turnovers. He hit some crucial foul shots in the last few minutes of the game.

Micha had 7 assists. He is a team player. He can create shots, but because he is not working from the point, he has fewer opportunites to do so. In high school he brought the ball up court against double teams and he passed well as well as shot well.

I was worried about Jerimah Jones being in the game at the end because I knew they would preferentially foul him and put him at the line. He hit all the crucial foul shots at the end of the game, proving once again that I don't know as much as the coach does.

Fordham essentially plays a four guard offense. They shoot tons of threes, but not necessarily at a high percentage. The rebounds were even, but we dominated inside play. That is the difference with this team from the recent past.

1/09/2014 11:02 am  #38

pressurecooker wrote:

Sometimes Coulter drives me nuts, but last night he had a very good game. Coach put the ball in his hands to beat the pressing defense and he did not have a lot of turnovers. He hit some crucial foul shots in the last few minutes of the game.

Micha had 7 assists. He is a team player. He can create shots, but because he is not working from the point, he has fewer opportunites to do so. In high school he brought the ball up court against double teams and he passed well as well as shot well.

I was worried about Jerimah Jones being in the game at the end because I knew they would preferentially foul him and put him at the line. He hit all the crucial foul shots at the end of the game, proving once again that I don't know as much as the coach does.

Fordham essentially plays a four guard offense. They shoot tons of threes, but not necessarily at a high percentage. The rebounds were even, but we dominated inside play. That is the difference with this team from the recent past.

Spot on.  If Colter can fight the urge to try to be Jon Severe, he can help this team win. Without looking at stats, I wonder why Ferry had Jeremiah Jones on the court at the end of the game, rather than, say, Tra'Vaughn White, who is a much better shooter? It hurts having McKoy off the floor, I wish he'd learn to shoot FTs.

1/09/2014 11:03 am  #39

DC did a blow by on a drive to the hoop that was classic, but I wish they would look more to Mason on the threes. As usual McKoy was a workhorse inside and Ovie was terrific. Improveing team.

A diehard fan since 1961

1/09/2014 1:48 pm  #40

One of the most emotional home wins in recent memory.  Ovie is a fun player to watch...seems to really enjoy to compete and is most definitely the leader of this team.  DC seems to have acknowledged his limitations and played a much more intelligent game last evening.  Micah is a far better overall player than anybody would have thought, his on-ball and help defense is very good for someone his size.  They blanketed him all night last night and that led to some easy buckets by McKoy, who is a beast.  Love his attitude as well...he loves to compete and holds himself accountable.  L.G., Desmond, Tra'vaughn, and the Jones' all offered key contributions in the win.  These guys are now fun to watch...hoping for more conference wins; especially home wins.  After last year, it's a lot more fun to watch a win.

1/09/2014 3:28 pm  #41

I thought Fordham did an excellent job in denying Mason open looks at the hoop last night.  As FanODukes said, that led to some very easy baskets by his teammates, including the Soko highlight stuff.  Too bad it's not like hockey where Mason could have gotten a well deserved second assist on the play.  I think Mason has the highest basketball IQ on the team.  I am very impressed by him.

1/09/2014 5:48 pm  #42

Board footera