Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/11/2014 10:09 am  #1

LaSalle scouting report

The more I look at this game, the tougher it looks for the Dukes.

LaSalle is a fairly veteran team. Three seniors and three juniors dominate the Explorers statistically, and although they play a fairly regular eight to nine man rotation, it's these six who have the biggest impact on the game. Up front, LaSalle has two strong players, 6-11 junior Steve Zack (9.7 ppg and 9.2 rpg) and 6'8 Jerrell Wright (13.3 ppg and 6.3 rpg). I think it's important tomorrow for Isaiah Watkins, Darius Lewis and LG Gill to contribute quality minutes, and help out defensively against these two guys, so Ovie Soko and Domo McKoy can get through the game fresh and without fouling out. 

One thing that may play a role in this game is that while LaSalle has outrebounded its opponents this year, slightly, the Explorer guards have negligible rebounding numbers. Unlike Fordham, they don't take as many three point shots so they're not seeing as many long caroms off the rim. Be interesting to see if LaSalle tries to compensate for DU's depth up front by sending their littles to the glass after missed shots. This could help our running game if McKoy and Soko can use their athleticism to control the boards.

In the backcourt, LaSalle has 6-1 senior Tyrone Garland (13.9 ppg and 2.3 apg), 6-0 senior Tyreek Duren (13.0 ppg, 3.6 apg) and 6-2 senior Sam Mills (8.4 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 2 apg). Together, they will present matchup problems for Indy Jones, Micah Mason and Derrick Colter. I expect to see Tra'vaughn White and Des Ridenour to get extended PT. 

I said that I expect a high scoring game. I do. We're putting up almost 80 a night (yes, some of that came against softer competition, but we've seen what the Dukes can do when they get in motion), and while LaSalle averages 70/game, I think their guards would love a track meet.

LaSalle's bench is not exactly thin ... they have a 6-9, 280 pound big man (Jermaine Davis), who has seen PT is most of their games. He could be a load to try to stop in a grind-it-out, halfcourt game. They also have 6'5 junior DJ Peterson and 6-6, 225 Rohan Brown. So this is a team that can go from quick to physical in a heartbeat (or even a timeout).

As always, I will go with my gut. I see a big afternoon for Ovie "Highlight Reel" Soko on a national stage. I see Micah Mason hitting 5-6 big threes. I see Tra'vaughn White having a hot hand. And I see Isaiah Watkins having a breakout game. 78-77 Dukes, on a putback by McKoy to end it.

1/11/2014 10:51 am  #2

Re: LaSalle scouting report

Nice report. It sounds like a nail biter but the size of their bigs scare me.

1/11/2014 11:14 am  #3

I watched the LaSalle-GW game Thursday night. (Thanks to CLK for the heads-up, which I saw at 7:59 that night!) LaSalle looks to have a lotta weapons & depth, & altho' I'm sure their coach wasn't happy with how they closed out that win, other than that there was very little to dislike. The winning streak is nice, but the competition was weak. I hate to be negative, but I think the rest of the A-10 schedule is gonna expose the Dukes. Soko & Mason are certainly the real deal, & I love the nightly effort from McKoy, but we're gonna need more than 3 guys playing well on both ends of the court the rest of the way.

1/11/2014 2:08 pm  #4

Officer Dribble, you're absolutely right. But unless you're a premiere program, it's difficult to win on the road. 

1/11/2014 11:06 pm  #5

Last year, the Dukes could get some breakout type performances from some guys, e.g. D.C. who had some big games. There was nobody, though, that you could count on to play a solid game every time. We have 3 guys doing that now in Soko, McKoy, and Mason. With D.C. and the other talented players who are capable of a big game, this becomes a team that could beat some quality A-10 teams any time the team really clicks.

1/12/2014 9:21 am  #6

LaSalle is the first real team we've played since Pitt. Today's game could be the harbinger for the 2014 season. LaSalle favored by 4 points at the Palumbo.

1/12/2014 12:35 pm  #7

I think there's going to be a pregame show on either 104.7 F.M. or 970 A.M. from 1 till 2.

1/12/2014 1:02 pm  #8

The line in today's P-G has La Salle favored by 3.  I think that's a fair assessment.  A veteran team such as the Explorers should be able to control the first and last five minutes of each half to win a game like this one.  But I'm liking the improvements the Dukes have made in the past few weeks and I'm liking our chances at the critical junctures of this game.  I surely think we can win this one.  Let's Go Dukes!!!

1/12/2014 1:26 pm  #9

In my mind, this game is sort of similar circumstances to the Rhode Island game in RE's first season. If you recall, that team had a 5 game conference win streak (including Xavier and Temple) and Rhode Island was coming in for a Sunday game that had a lot of buzz.  I don't recall if that game was televised, but there was a HUGE walk up crowd getting tickets.

Certainly this game doesn't have the buzz nor a similar quality win streak, but close enough for my mind.  Unfortunately, the Dukes got beaten up pretty well by a seasoned Rhode Island team.  I can't help but think the same thing may occur today with a very seasoned La Salle team.

I hope I'm wrong and keep my prediction string intact.

1/12/2014 3:30 pm  #10

Soko was invisible in the 1st half. Mason is being heavily guarded & we're not running any plays to get him behind some screens sohe can shoot. If this keeps up in the 2nd half I don't think we'll be able to hang with LaSalle.

1/12/2014 3:47 pm  #11

We have gone stone cold and our defense has slacked...

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

1/12/2014 3:51 pm  #12

Very few assists when DC controls the ball, he seems to go to other side of floor than Mason is on.
Ovie having a hard day, LaSalle is good.

A diehard fan since 1961

1/12/2014 4:19 pm  #13

Duquesne out classed today, nice game by McKoy.

A diehard fan since 1961

1/12/2014 4:32 pm  #14

That was a first degree butt kicking.After this game, the only question is will we win 10 games,. Think not. 

1/12/2014 4:34 pm  #15

Selfish basketball and poor ball movement returned today for the Dukes.  LaSalle is playing very good smart basketball so give them credit, but the Dukes flat out sucked in the second half.  Got to wonder how many of the 3,700 will be back after today.  

Last edited by CLK (1/12/2014 4:38 pm)

1/12/2014 5:13 pm  #16

Colter is going to stand in the way of any future improvement. They need to recruit a point guard next year. That said, LaSalle is an experienced team and did go to the Sweet Sixteen last year. We weren't playing a bunch of stiffs. They shot well and played good defense, and we didn't pick up any fouls.

Good to see you again rittersdiner. Figured as soon as the winning streak was over that we'd hear from you again.

1/12/2014 5:38 pm  #17

It wasn't Collter, who I thought played a good game.  It was Soko chucking them up.  He's fine when he plays within himself, but he had a very bad game today.  Mason needs to shoot a little more, I thought he passed on some good shots, but I'm sure he knows a good shot when he sees it-just needs to shoot more. McKoy was a real find, that guy does so many little things that you just don't see on a stat sheet, but impacts the game.  He was forced outside a little too much the second half, but he really plays with heart.

1/12/2014 6:10 pm  #18

ElDuque wrote:

Colter is going to stand in the way of any future improvement. They need to recruit a point guard next year. That said, LaSalle is an experienced team and did go to the Sweet Sixteen last year. We weren't playing a bunch of stiffs. They shot well and played good defense, and we didn't pick up any fouls.

Good to see you again rittersdiner. Figured as soon as the winning streak was over that we'd hear from you again.

Agree, he was on in first half but he seems to want to score first, pass second. I was surprised Soko didn't look more for the open man since they had him scouted well. Dukes need a good point guard, around 6-4 or so.

There are some unselfish players on this team, but once you enter conference play the pretenders are found out.

A diehard fan since 1961

1/12/2014 6:12 pm  #19

Colter took five shots from beyond the arc. Mason, who is one of the best three point shooters in the country, took one. Apologies for seeming to beat a dead horse, but watching Colter dribble aimlessly while four guys stand around and then hoist a shot that his arms are too short to make just frustrates the heck out of me. Soko had a miserable game, indeed. And McKoy has become my favorite player on this team.

1/12/2014 7:53 pm  #20

Mason couldn't get open - excellent defense by LaSalle.  Soko couldn't get inside, excellent defense by LaSalle.  I am actually not even mad at Colter.  He didn't play bad.  We got beat by team that is 20 points better than us.  They have much better players and they won.

1/12/2014 8:30 pm  #21

Outstanding halftime show!

1/12/2014 8:35 pm  #22

Looked to me that if Soko would have pulled up on some of his drives he could have fed Mason for some shots where he had a little room but for the most part just like the Fordham game Mason just wasn't open. Teams are going to guard a guy hitting at 61% from 3. Coach needs to figure out how to get him some looks. Maybe running him off some double screens if that's not already being done. 

1/12/2014 8:49 pm  #23

ElDuque wrote:

Actually, I stayed away because I was going to be critical of the teams we were beating and thought that I should allow the believers to enjoy the moment. Playing teams with RPI of 275 or higher doesn't prepare you for league play. You saw it today.

1/12/2014 9:28 pm  #24

I feel sorry for Charlie! He has done great things with Duquesne. Unfortunately he had a brain fart listening to Amodio. Nobody is perfect lets move on when Amodios contract is over in 2016.

1/13/2014 8:17 am  #25

Easy analysis of the blowout loss:
An extremely good and experienced defense shut down a one dimensional offense.  Until we learn how to use the perimieter threat through screening and kick-out's, we'll continue to lose to teams that can defend the paint.

Board footera