Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

UPCOMING GAMES:
Lipscomb @ Duquesne - Nov. 4 - 8:00 PM
Princeton @ Duquesne - Nov. 8 - 8:30 PM
Dukes @ DePaul - Nov. 15 - 9:00 PM

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/30/2024 7:58 pm  #1

Adding College of Charleston

I was surprised that the A-10 meetings didn’t mention all the expansion rumors, particularly the addition of College of Charleston. 

The school has academic and historical weight as well as a good basketball tradition.  Their recent hire of Chris Mack would bring back a familiar face to the conference.

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

7/01/2024 8:53 am  #2

Re: Adding College of Charleston

Really no need to expand at this point.  The Big East just signed a huge new tv deal last week.   So that shuts the door on any expansion there I would believe.  Why give up money to a new member?   14 is still a lot.

7/01/2024 11:10 am  #3

UMass is leaving, so it makes sense to add someone, no?

7/01/2024 6:51 pm  #4

No not really.  The most likely poaching would come from Big East.  With a new contract they are not poaching anyone.   We have 14.  And Charleston will still be there if needed.

7/02/2024 8:11 am  #5

So you think the big east is taking teams from the A10, and for some reason, that would be made worse by the A10 adding Charleston now?   I cant understand why adding Charleston would be a bad thing, at any time.

Last edited by townsonkid (7/02/2024 8:34 am)

7/02/2024 6:56 pm  #6

townsonkid wrote:

So you think the big east is taking teams from the A10, and for some reason, that would be made worse by the A10 adding Charleston now?   I cant understand why adding Charleston would be a bad thing, at any time.

No I do not think that the Big East is taking A10 teams.   I said that.   They just signed a huge new tv deal.  Why would they add teams now to get less tv money per school?

I said with them having a new tv contract they are not poaching anyone.   So I don’t understand why we should rush to split our tv money by one more school.    They don’t bring that much to the table.

Last edited by DuqBlue (7/02/2024 7:00 pm)

7/03/2024 8:02 am  #7

Sorry, but that makes no sense to me.   If the A10 can expand its footprint, and add a school that has made NCAA tourns over the last couple years, do it.
UMass is leaving after this year, and not really worried about one slice of pie when the pie gets bigger and better.
Charleston > UMass.

7/05/2024 8:18 am  #8

townsonkid wrote:

Sorry, but that makes no sense to me.   If the A10 can expand its footprint, and add a school that has made NCAA tourns over the last couple years, do it.
UMass is leaving after this year, and not really worried about one slice of pie when the pie gets bigger and better.
Charleston > UMass.

The key is to add schools like this that have a good potential to bring in more pie for everybody.  No pie, nobody gets a slice.

How much pie has La Salle brought or even the Dukes before we invested?   CoC is a historic and quality school, in a good new market, with a good team that invests in their program.

Last edited by coffee (7/05/2024 8:21 am)

COFFEE
Attitude is everything

7/05/2024 11:04 am  #9

Coffee I agree with your point. First and foremost Charleston unlike the rust belt teams is a booming market. Second point Charleston has a history of a good and sound mens basketball program. Also a respected University education wise. Upon losing UMASS add Charleston. Share of conference money split same. Unfortunately, the A10 can’t tell Lasalle put up or hit the bricks. If the A10 had a history of kick up your game Duquesne over the last 40 years would have been dumped by the A10 thus playing in the Presidents conference against CMU.Thank you President Gormley.👍

7/06/2024 3:29 pm  #10

Thanks Iron Duke.  Couple things I didn’t realize about College of Charleston.  They are older than our nation, founded in 1770 with an excellent academic reputation.  Their buildings have been in countless movies such as The Patriot.   They’ve been to the dance a few times and have been ranked in the Top 25 recently.

As you say, EXCELLENT academic and recent athletic history, growing and attractive city as a market, won their conference and can only add to the A-10 reputation athletically and academically.  They’d add to the TV appeal in a growing market.

COFFEE
Attitude is everything

7/08/2024 7:29 am  #11

It's my understanding that Loyola Chicago was the replacement for UMass. They have known for several years that UMass was looking to join a football conference. I don't believe they will be looking to add any additional schools as things stand.

Board footera