Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

UPCOMING GAMES:
Lipscomb @ Duquesne - Nov. 4 - 8:00 PM
Princeton @ Duquesne - Nov. 8 - 8:30 PM
Dukes @ DePaul - Nov. 15 - 9:00 PM

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/10/2024 11:30 am  #1

Bronny James & Lakers

Watching the entire national sports media every segment is dedicated to Bronny James & the NBA Summer league. I am not posting to give an opinion as to his talent. My point is if Duquesne was the landing point for Bronny based on his father’s relationship with Coach Dambrot & Coach Joyce the Dukes this season would have been the most talked about men’s program. Duquesne University would have received millions in FREE publicity. If Bryce James chooses to go the route of Duke U Cooper Flagg (1 & done) hopefully the landing point is The Bluff. Go Dukes.

7/10/2024 5:34 pm  #2

Re: Bronny James & Lakers

Ironduke81 wrote:

Watching the entire national sports media every segment is dedicated to Bronny James & the NBA Summer league. I am not posting to give an opinion as to his talent. My point is if Duquesne was the landing point for Bronny based on his father’s relationship with Coach Dambrot & Coach Joyce the Dukes this season would have been the most talked about men’s program. Duquesne University would have received millions in FREE publicity. If Bryce James chooses to go the route of Duke U Cooper Flagg (1 & done) hopefully the landing point is The Bluff. Go Dukes.

Yes, there's a lot of publicity but it isn't all good. I hope Bronny does well and stays healthy. I think Duquesne will be better off with the returning and incoming talent this upcoming season. Maybe when Bryce J is ready, DU might be a consideration for him.

7/11/2024 1:50 pm  #3

If we are popular he might come here next year.   Is it next year?  Or 2?   Whatever.   We'd need to keep up some level of national exposure to be on his radar, IMO.   

I read an article that Cooper Flagg could stay more than a year at Duke.   Made me laugh, gonna pass up $12M a year.   

7/11/2024 5:19 pm  #4

Cooper’s probably making more than 12 million at Duke. Bronny made big bucks at USC from Nike and a slew of other deep pockets   It ain’t your daddy’s NCAA anymore.  Alas.

7/11/2024 6:37 pm  #5

Mike Ignelsi wrote:

Cooper’s probably making more than 12 million at Duke. Bronny made big bucks at USC from Nike and a slew of other deep pockets   It ain’t your daddy’s NCAA anymore.  Alas.

12 million is alot. I don’t know if a college player can make that. I heard that Holmes was making around $750k last year at Dayton so if somebody makes that maybe they would prefer to stay at their school instead of being drafted later in the first round or in the second. A lottery bonus would beat that wage but I do think it’s possible for some athletes to be able to make more with NIL deals in college rather than entry level pro deals.

7/12/2024 11:29 am  #6

I Uber on the side and once had a long conversation with an NIL guy with the Pitt athletic department as I drove him to a private airfield where he was going to fly back to from where he came.  He said it was not unheard of that the big schools would get a player 2,3,4 million. He said he hadn’t heard anything more than 4 million.  He did say though that nobody really knows what goes on outside of their own collective.   A lot of secrecy and nothing would surprise him. He was there as a money manager and told me that I would not believe the amount of millions of dollars on the table at Pitt.  He said that EVERY scholarship athlete on both the football and basketball team was receiving some level of compensation.  That was nice to hear.

7/12/2024 12:18 pm  #7

BluffHunter wrote:

Mike Ignelsi wrote:

Cooper’s probably making more than 12 million at Duke. Bronny made big bucks at USC from Nike and a slew of other deep pockets It ain’t your daddy’s NCAA anymore. Alas.

12 million is alot. I don’t know if a college player can make that. I heard that Holmes was making around $750k last year at Dayton so if somebody makes that maybe they would prefer to stay at their school instead of being drafted later in the first round or in the second. A lottery bonus would beat that wage but I do think it’s possible for some athletes to be able to make more with NIL deals in college rather than entry level pro deals.

Wasn't Brony at one point the most compensated at 4.5 million last year?

Board footera