Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

UPCOMING GAMES:
Lipscomb @ Duquesne - Nov. 4 - 8:00 PM
Princeton @ Duquesne - Nov. 8 - 8:30 PM
Dukes @ DePaul - Nov. 15 - 9:00 PM

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/03/2012 12:23 pm  #1

The City Game

12/03/2012 12:35 pm  #2

Re: The City Game

Just curious how many posters are going to the game.  For us out of towners here is a link to ESPN3 for streaming video.

http://espn.go.com/watchespn/index/_/channel/espn3

12/03/2012 12:56 pm  #3

I will be watching on ESPN3. I don't have a lot of hope this time around but always think there is a chance.

12/03/2012 1:41 pm  #4

I am not going.  I am tired of going and watching the same result year after year.

12/03/2012 2:37 pm  #5

I am not sure this will be the year, but you never know.

12/03/2012 2:41 pm  #6

Looking at the series history above the most dissapointing loss I can remember was the 1970 loss in the Steel Bowl.  Had we won we would have had a chance to play the undefeated #1 UCLA team with the longest college winning streak at the time.

12/03/2012 2:59 pm  #7

That one broke my heart.  I believe the team was big enough in height that they could have dumped the Steve Patterson/Sidney Wicks combo.  P.S.- How can anyone not go to this game if they are a true Duquesne Fan?  Not if, but when the Dukes beat Pitt, it will rival the second coming!

12/03/2012 3:00 pm  #8

CLK wrote:

Looking at the series history above the most dissapointing loss I can remember was the 1970 loss in the Steel Bowl.  Had we won we would have had a chance to play the undefeated #1 UCLA team with the longest college winning streak at the time.

Right,
We could have ended the UCLA winning streak and prevented Digger Phelps from making a living off the fact that his ND team finally ended the streak.  I remember it well, everyone wanted and expected to see the highly ranked Dukes take on the Bruins.  It would have been quite a battle in the Steel Bowl.

12/03/2012 5:32 pm  #9

levon1975 wrote:

CLK wrote:

Right,
We could have ended the UCLA winning streak and prevented Digger Phelps from making a living off the fact that his ND team finally ended the streak.  I remember it well, everyone wanted and expected to see the highly ranked Dukes take on the Bruins.  It would have been quite a battle in the Steel Bowl.

Jarrett and the Nelsons were on that team.  I am trying to remember, I think the guy was Billy Knight who just took over the game for Pitt, and the Dukes played perhaps their worst game of the year against Pitt.  I am sure our historian Duq81 can fill in the details.  Oh what might have been!

12/03/2012 5:35 pm  #10

I am going

12/03/2012 5:36 pm  #11

12/03/2012 5:39 pm  #12

levon1975 wrote:

CLK wrote:

Right,

Not the same streak. The streak that UCLA had in 1970 was what would become a 49 game streak against non conference opponents. UCLA lost to the Austin Carr ND team, coached by Johnny Dee, in January of 1971. This ND team had been defeated by Duquesne at the Civic Arena in it's previous game. UCLA would not lose again until 1974, when Pittsburgh native Dwight Clay hit a game winning jumper for the Irish, in the game that made Digger famous.

12/03/2012 5:43 pm  #13

CLK wrote:

levon1975 wrote:

CLK wrote:

Right,

Jarrett and the Nelsons were on that team.  I am trying to remember, I think the guy was Billy Knight who just took over the game for Pitt, and the Dukes played perhaps their worst game of the year against Pitt.  I am sure our historian Duq81 can fill in the details.  Oh what might have been!

Actually, it wasn't the Billy Knight team at Pitt at that time.  Losing to that team would have been tolerable.  It was Buzzy Harrison that had a career night; and could do no wrong that night for Pitt.

12/03/2012 5:47 pm  #14

Thanks Levon. He played like Billy Knight that game. (happy)

12/03/2012 5:55 pm  #15

duq81 wrote:

levon1975 wrote:

CLK wrote:

Right,

Not the same streak. The streak that UCLA had in 1970 was what would become a 49 game streak against non conference opponents. UCLA lost to the Austin Carr ND team, coached by Johnny Dee, in January of 1971. This ND team had been defeated by Duquesne at the Civic Arena in it's previous game. UCLA would not lose again until 1974, when Pittsburgh native Dwight Clay hit a game winning jumper for the Irish, in the game that made Digger famous.

Duq81 I believe it was the same streak.  The Steel Bowl was in December 1970 where we lost to Pitt, and the streak ended in January 1971 by ND.

12/03/2012 6:15 pm  #16

Chris Peak †@PantherLair
RT @KarenPrice_Trib: Jamie Dixon said he still has to speak with #Pitt administration but Trey Zeigler may be available for Wed. City Game.

I can see it now, 2000 Duquesne students chanting DUI just like they chanted taser at levance fields. Wont be pretty.

12/03/2012 6:38 pm  #17

CLK wrote:

duq81 wrote:

levon1975 wrote:

Right,

Duq81 I believe it was the same streak.  The Steel Bowl was in December 1970 where we lost to Pitt, and the streak ended in January 1971 by ND.

No. The 88 game streak began in January of 1971. Duquesne beat the Notre Dame team that featured Austin Carr, and was coached by Johnny Dee. That ND team then beat UCLA in their next game. UCLA would not lose again for 3 years. Digger was at Fordham in 1971. That was the season that Fordham had a monster year, and Digger got the ND job because of it.

This is from Wikipedia: On January 19, 1974, the UCLA Bruins lost a basketball game to the Notre Dame Fighting Irish, 71–70. It ended a streak of 88 consecutive victories, which coincidentally began after losing to Notre Dame almost three years earlier on January 19, 1971. The streak encompassed 88 games, an NCAA division I basketball record eclipsing the 60 game streak of San Francisco in 1956.

Last edited by duq81 (12/03/2012 6:43 pm)

12/03/2012 6:46 pm  #18

Is Dixon getting nervous?

"Jamie Dixon left open the possibility of suspended G Trey Zeigler returning Wednesday against Duquesne. Said he's been extremely remorseful."

12/03/2012 6:56 pm  #19

Pitt will put Jamie on a shish-kabob if they lose so he better be nervous.

12/03/2012 7:30 pm  #20

duq81 wrote:

CLK wrote:

duq81 wrote:

No. The 88 game streak began in January of 1971. Duquesne beat the Notre Dame team that featured Austin Carr, and was coached by Johnny Dee. That ND team then beat UCLA in their next game. UCLA would not lose again for 3 years. Digger was at Fordham in 1971. That was the season that Fordham had a monster year, and Digger got the ND job because of it.

This is from Wikipedia: On January 19, 1974, the UCLA Bruins lost a basketball game to the Notre Dame Fighting Irish, 71–70. It ended a streak of 88 consecutive victories, which coincidentally began after losing to Notre Dame almost three years earlier on January 19, 1971. The streak encompassed 88 games, an NCAA division I basketball record eclipsing the 60 game streak of San Francisco in 1956.

Got it.  Thanks.

12/03/2012 7:37 pm  #21

Coach Ferry to be on Trib Live Radio with Dejan Kovacevic tomorrow 1-2.

http://sportstalk.triblive.com/

Last edited by CLK (12/03/2012 7:39 pm)

12/03/2012 7:41 pm  #22

If memory serves me right, Pitt's zone has been a huge thorn in the Dukes side recently. I think they have the tools and strategy to beat it this year. Should be interesting. I am sure Dixon has been researching and watching plenty of Duquesne tape the past couple days. He probably got pretty used to playing Ron.

12/03/2012 7:43 pm  #23

Will Graves†@WillGravesAP

Duquesne coach Jim Ferry on Pitt: "I think they're better than Georgetown, significantly better" City Game is Wednesday night.

12/03/2012 7:45 pm  #24

DukesDan wrote:

If memory serves me right, Pitt's zone has been a huge thorn in the Dukes side recently. I think they have the tools and strategy to beat it this year. Should be interesting. I am sure Dixon has been researching and watching plenty of Duquesne tape the past couple days. He probably got pretty used to playing Ron.

Hopefully our guys will in the "zone" shooting the trey.

12/03/2012 9:06 pm  #25

Board footera