Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/17/2014 10:01 am  #1

How to fix the PG position ... now

I've been giving this a lot of thought, and I think I have a solution to fix the PG situation.

Here's where we are: Our starting PG has nearly two full years in the Jim Ferry system. He's undersized, especially for the A-10, which becomes a problem only because he has average speed, is a minus passer, and has average ballhandling skills. Plus, his court vision seems really, really limited. Colter has been successful twice in late-game situations and has snatched victories for us in this role, but too often his play results in an early double-digit deficit that puts his team in a tremendous hole. He was a scorer in HS, and is being encouraged by Ferry to continue to be a scorer. Which becomes a problem because he doesn't shoot for a high percentage. So when Ferry says his old PG at LIU could get him 16 points when needed, he should realize that Colter will have to take 22-25 shots to get those 16 points, and the 17-20 shots he misses are likely to lead 18-27 points for the opponent. Which, in a game where the team with the most points wins, doesn't get it done. Ferry tells us DC is a hard-working kid, spending countless hours in the gym by himself working on his shot.

Our backup, Desmond Ridenour, who in my mind has already beaten Colter out, is inconsistent because he's a freshman, has a nicer looking but equally ineffective shot, attacks the basket well (but never looks to pass when he gets in trouble), has average speed but good acceleration, and has trouble hititng FTs. There have been several games this year (NJIT and URI in particular) when he has shoveled us out of holes created by Colter, given the Dukes a lead, and been banished to the bench for all of his good effort. 

The most skilled guard on the team, Micah Mason, only gets to touch the ball if he rebounds it, steals it, or beats everyone down the court. Yet most of the time when he touches it, something good happens. He's the leading 3-point shooter in the country, is the best passer on the team, seems to get an assist every time he passes the ball, and despite below average speed, has a really good feel for the game and what is going on everywhere on the court.

So what's my solution?

Rather than spending countless hours working on a shot that, face it, is never going to fall consistently, bring 2-3 players with you and work on doing things that can help Duquesne win ball games.

Bring Mason and Ridenour and see how many passes you can make before anyone puts up a shot (Mason's used to not shooting anyway).

Bring LG Gill and Isaiah Watkins and practice getting them in position for open shots. 

Brink Soko and McKoy and work on getting them the ball in the low clocks, instead of always at the top of the 3-point line.

Bring Lewis, and spend an hour tryint to hit a layup against him.

I think working on team-oriented, game winning situations rather than "missed 3 pointer, turnover, missed three pointer, Dukes down 10-0" all the frickin' time. Next year DC will be a junior. McKoy and White will be the only seniors on this team, and Colter is likely to be a captain.

Act like one.

Because my big fear is that the talk of us recruiting a real PG is a smokescreen by Ferry to light a fire under Colter, and next year it will still be him and Ridenour and Groundhog Day every day. 

2/17/2014 4:15 pm  #2

Re: How to fix the PG position ... now

I don't know, Richmond's Anthony was as about as undersized as you can get (he's no 5'8"), but he tore Duquesne a new one. Jones was finally put on him to slow him down, but not by much!  Colter's biggest liability is his defense.  I really don't think he is the bricklayer he is made out to be, he's hit some key shots.  I think a big hunk of the problem is Soko.  As good as he is, he is a very selfish player.  The scouting report should read, if he touches the ball, all five guys collapse on him, because he doesn't give it up-ever!  And I am surprised he is not called for traveling more.  I really like Soko, but I believe he could really help the team and himself by passing more.  And Ridenour is your typical freshman who still believes that his athletic ability can cover how sloppy he is in handling the ball.  He too could really be good with some focus to his game!

2/17/2014 6:01 pm  #3

Don't be so hard on Soko.  He only travels when he is going to the basket with the ball.

2/17/2014 6:17 pm  #4

Prince, as I said above, Colter has twice hit big, game-winning shots. But for those two wins, he's contributed to many losses. Saturday, for example, he left the first half with the Dukes down by seven, and came back with his team in the lead. He almost have the whole lead back in just two minutes. Here are Colter's shooting stats for the last five games (all A-10 play):
1-10 10%, 1-4 from 3
1-6 17%, 1-5 from 3 
4-11 36%, 3-9 from 3
1-7 14%, 1-6 from 3
3-7 43%, 1-5 from 3

41 shots in 5 games. Nine baskets and 8 assists over the same period.

The A-10 games are the ones that matter.

2/17/2014 8:10 pm  #5

ElDuque - right on.  enuf said.

2/18/2014 5:57 am  #6

FAM wrote:

Don't be so hard on Soko.  He only travels when he is going to the basket with the ball.

It's not being called, and he's getting the fouls, so I'm OK with it. Seems to be going on all over the country anyway.

2/18/2014 11:04 am  #7

Why doesn't Mason employ ball fakes?  He catches, shoots, or not if guarded.  Opposition players know who he is and crowd him accordingly.  If he would simply fake the ball, as if shooting,  he'd get most defenders moving, which would allow him to sidestep and shoot or drive.  Ball fake EVERY TIME you catch the ball.  You have unlimited range and they have to respect it.
ElDuque suggests, "Bring Mason and Ridenour and see how many passes you can make before anyone puts up a shot (Mason's used to not shooting anyway)."   I'll say again, Red Manning had an every day drill: first team against second.  Half court, no shooting.  Teams had to posses the ball by passing.  No dribbling.  Do it for several minutes, running your offense, and you get a point.  Tie-up a guy, you win a point.  A steal or turnover  earns a point.  These were spirited affairs with pride on the line.   The result was a quality pass-first team   Run it;t wil help.

2/18/2014 4:45 pm  #8

I'm smiling while recalling how upset Red became over being refered to as Bed Panning in the April Fool's issue of the Duke.  Father Nesti wasn't too pleased about being Father Nesticles, either, or the fact that large donor Noble J. Dick was called Huge G. Rection.

2/18/2014 5:04 pm  #9

Some think that Noble Dick saved the then cash starved Duquesne with his Trust Fund, it was not subject to public knowledge as a will would have been, at his death.

A diehard fan since 1961

2/18/2014 7:57 pm  #10

VBC wrote:

I'm smiling while recalling how upset Red became over being refered to as Bed Panning in the April Fool's issue of the Duke.  Father Nesti wasn't too pleased about being Father Nesticles, either, or the fact that large donor Noble J. Dick was called Huge G. Rection.

The April Fool's issue my senior year was, in the words of Douglas C. Niedermeyer, Sargeant-at-Arms, "SO profound and disgusting that decorum prohibits listing it here." It's the only issue in the history of The Duke not to be included in the on-line library. If not for Nellie King's intervention, Red would've had me kicked out of school. 

In the words of Boon, "I'm so ashamed."

2/18/2014 8:11 pm  #11

ElDuque wrote:

It's the only issue in the history of The Duke not to be included in the on-line library.

It's the only issue in the history of The Duke that is included in my personal library. 

Barney Fife's quote in Campus Ass-wipes cracks me up to this day.  But that's one of the things that can't be listed here.

2/18/2014 8:20 pm  #12

ElDuque wrote:

In the words of Boon, "I'm so ashamed."

No you're not! LOL!

2/19/2014 4:08 pm  #13

One of those April Fools editions back then touted a seven-foot-six superstar recruit from China.  I completely fell for it, visions of national championships danced in my head.  

2/20/2014 10:10 am  #14

Mike Ignelsi wrote:

One of those April Fools editions back then touted a seven-foot-six superstar recruit from China.  I completely fell for it, visions of national championships danced in my head.  

Chin Tsu Wang was the name I believe.

2/20/2014 5:27 pm  #15

Barry, Garry, and Chin Su Wang -- we'd be unstopable.

Board footera