Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/19/2014 5:54 am  #1

St. Bonaventure gameday

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/duquesne/2014/02/19/Duquense-coach-expects-repeat-of-thriller-in-January-with-St-Bonaventure/stories/201402190037

Unfortunately, the Dukes are not going to get any Bonnies players in foul trouble this time. There's always home cookin' in Olean. In fact, expect Soko and McKoy to each have three, at least five of which will be questionable, by halftime.

May be an opportunity for a Watkins sighting tonight.

But once again, do the Dukes fall behind by double digits in the first two minutes because DC is intent on launching threes and turning the ball over? If that's the case, this will be the ugliest defeat of the season so far.

2/19/2014 11:15 am  #2

Re: St. Bonaventure gameday

Hope we can win tonight.  Last night I watched GW and Richmond.  GW's coach used to coach at Vermont.  He is in his 3rd year there and hit 20 wins.  Both of those teams are good!

2/19/2014 4:59 pm  #3

Anyone making the trip to nowhere?  Take along anything you want welded.  I hear they do a good job up there.

2/19/2014 7:22 pm  #4

Bonnies with 6 buckets within 2 feet.

2/19/2014 7:52 pm  #5

Kinda hard to get the numbers on the scoreboard to move if you can't put the ball in the basket.

2/19/2014 8:09 pm  #6

Now that's the way to start a half'

2/19/2014 8:55 pm  #7

Good job. Why would you put DC at line with game on line? Will Ferry never learn???

2/19/2014 9:02 pm  #8

lilpav30 wrote:

Good job. Why would you put DC at line with game on line? Will Ferry never learn???

You would think opposing coaches probably say foul him don't let him get the shot off.

2/19/2014 9:14 pm  #9

St. Louis just missrd 3 of 4 fts at end of game to let it go to ot.

2/19/2014 10:22 pm  #10

Colter played better in general, it is a hard place to win at,remember when they stopped the 11 game streak with a last second three and Dukes stumbled the rest of the year.

Dukes need to keep fighting, some of these guys are getting better, btw did anyone ever check out Ridenour lack of ball handling before they signed him last year?

A diehard fan since 1961

2/19/2014 10:29 pm  #11

Ferry perplexes the hell out of me. Gill and Ridenour were a big part of Saturday's win over URI. Tonight, Ridenour gets fewer minutes than White, who hasn't really done anything in weeks, and Gill gets three shots. Colter once again takes more shots than anyone else in a loss.

No surprise there.

2/20/2014 12:14 am  #12

ElDuque wrote:

Ferry perplexes the hell out of me. Gill and Ridenour were a big part of Saturday's win over URI. Tonight, Ridenour gets fewer minutes than White, who hasn't really done anything in weeks, and Gill gets three shots. Colter once again takes more shots than anyone else in a loss.

No surprise there.

Gill played 16 minutes, and did about as much as a lamp post. Ridenhour threw up three bricks, none of which went in. The bench contributed nothing. The solution at point guard is not currently on the roster. Soko pretty much vanished the last 10 minutes of a winnable game. Jerry Jones, 17 minutes, 2 points.

2/20/2014 7:49 am  #13

The real development of a program is not based on a game you win but rather what you do the next game and the one after that. Saturday's win brings hope, Wednesday's brings you back down. Consistency decides whether a team has a winning record, has a chance for a postseason appearance, etc. This team lacks that. It's a talent problem, not ingame coaching. 

2/20/2014 8:14 am  #14

I made the trip to Reilly center last night. I must say they have a great atmosphere there and a Homecourt advantage I dream of our Dukes having one day. I'm sure it's easier getting crowds to enthusiastically attend games when you are the main attraction for the Olean area, but Duquesne really needs to  bring some of that to Palumbo.  I have to beieve that a potential recruit for Bona is gonna be pretty impressed with a gameday visit there.  Let's find some way to similarly impress recruits at DU

2/20/2014 8:51 am  #15

Bonnies fans have spirit and travel well. I heard that they even had the President of Duquesne stop by their get together when they played at Polumbo Center.  Duquesne has to develop a similar following.

2/20/2014 8:53 am  #16

Tony84 wrote:

I made the trip to Reilly center last night. I must say they have a great atmosphere there and a Homecourt advantage I dream of our Dukes having one day. I'm sure it's easier getting crowds to enthusiastically attend games when you are the main attraction for the Olean area, but Duquesne really needs to  bring some of that to Palumbo.  I have to beieve that a potential recruit for Bona is gonna be pretty impressed with a gameday visit there.  Let's find some way to similarly impress recruits at DU

Tony,
In the late 1970's I traveled on business regularly around the Olean area. I always would take in a "Bona" game, as they are referred to up there. The crowds were always there for any game, teams like Colgate would bring out 4,000 plus fans. True it is cold and snowy there in the winter, but they have tradition . I ran into the Bonnie's play by play guy in the favored Bona tavern, The Beef and Barrell. When I told him I was long time Duquesne fan he spouted off the names of great Dukes and praised Ray Goss as a great play by play announcer.

People seemed happy to cheer on Bona, unlike the empty seats at Palumbo with so few fans in them. JC used to have exciting teams and folks actually went there to see them play. It will take a number of winning years and several NCAA teams to get most in Pittsburgh to take Du-Kane seriously. I hope I live long enough to see that day.

Plus they have a terrific sandwich called Beef on Wick in the area, roast beef on a kimmilwick bun!

A diehard fan since 1961

2/20/2014 8:53 am  #17

Tony84 wrote:

That unfortunately is a pipe dream. In order to duplicate that atmosphere @ Palumbodo this would  require leadership vision competence remember the 11 game winning streak Amodio did nothing with the student body. Again Duquesne mens program viewed nationally as a joke. Coach Ferry will at best be able to recruit NEC players if he can coach them up then Duquesne best scenario middle of A-10.  Dayton @ the Consol will have more fans then Duquesne 4 hr drive that says it all about leadership.

2/20/2014 8:59 am  #18

Technically, their record is 11-14.  I know that many games can go either way, i.e. last night.  I said technically because at LEAST (and I am being kind) 4 of those wins were against teams that were horrendous.  Take into account some "could" wins and realistically I'll put our record at 9-16.  We play Dayton on Saturday which mentally is going to be a problem after the loss last night.  My thought on this ending year is that because of the poor teams we played and Ferry's beginning of the year style we did not progress at the beginning of the year like we could have.  There was a point where we were actually flat or got worse.  We know (and so does Ferry) he didn't recruit any effective point guards.  Let's face it, we got lucky with Mason because he had to be close to home due to his dietary requirements.   I hope I am wrong, but I can't see us being better next year - the biggest reason is we still don't have a point guard and we have NO ONE signed for next year.  That is on Ferry and the coaches.  I think he can coach but I don't know if he can recruit.  Maybe we will get lucky but we have another losing season this year, another dwindling fan base of what is left.  This morning on the news during the SPORTS talk of a local radio station here in PGH. scores were mentioned.  Syracuse's loss was along with the Olympics, and more.  Duquesne wasn't even mentioned that they played last night.  We are again irrelevant.

Last edited by FAM (2/20/2014 9:26 am)

2/20/2014 9:13 am  #19

duq81: Completely agree, we need a point guard. I have to attribute some of the other stuff to coaching; how do players go from being in the flow of the game one day to looking like they've never stepped on the court the next. And when I say it's coaching, it's more than in-game, although that is a problem as I've pointed out on several occasions. If talent is a problem, all you can says is that they're Ferry's guys. You bring 'em in, do something with 'em.

2/20/2014 1:52 pm  #20

And remember this tradion that the Dukes once had took years to finally be non existent . Last 21 win year was with RE , before that Mike Rice had one in the early 1980's, Red had 21 in 69-70 and 20 in 70-71 but because we used Dave Roddy, a transfer who used up all his eligibility Duquesne was the only one who recognized 20 thus no NCAA or NIT. Even the great Norm Nixon's NCAA team ended up only at 500 percent, 15-15 I think.

Red and Cinny used to fill the roster with local kids but didn't get the best ones, Mo Lucas of Schenley went to Marquette as did Ulice Payne, Billy Varner went to Notre Dame, etc.

Our last All-America was Slick who was Honerable Mention. I have been a fan for over 50 years  but looking back it all ended when Red left and the Big East took Pitt.

I hate to admit it but in a conference as strong as the A-10 has become, a middle of the pack team is probably our high mark with an exceptional year every once in a while like the 21-13 Nit team with Ajax.

A diehard fan since 1961

2/20/2014 5:41 pm  #21

Kip McLane once made a great play in Olean -- he brought an icicle into the hotel room that was bigger than he was.  So, young recruit, if you like beautiful forests and icicles, ST. B, is the place for you.  If not --  and I remember Lionel B.  almost had a nervous breakdown in the widerness that is North Park -- give the Bluff a try.

2/20/2014 7:12 pm  #22

Keep in mind that those 20 win teams by Rice and RE were nice, but not comparable to Red's 20 win teams, because of the increase in number of games. Red's last 3 20 win teams lost 4,5 and 5 games, and all were ranked at some point. Winning percentage tells the story. Red's last winning team in 1973, won two thirds of their games. Only Rice's 20-10 team has matched that. Two whole generations have grown up seeing Duquesne ranging from mediocre, to terrible, and mediocre has been so rare that those teams are seen as good.

2/20/2014 8:21 pm  #23

duq81 wrote:

Keep in mind that those 20 win teams by Rice and RE were nice, but not comparable to Red's 20 win teams, because of the increase in number of games. Red's last 3 20 win teams lost 4,5 and 5 games, and all were ranked at some point. Winning percentage tells the story. Red's last winning team in 1973, won two thirds of their games. Only Rice's 20-10 team has matched that. Two whole generations have grown up seeing Duquesne ranging from mediocre, to terrible, and mediocre has been so rare that those teams are seen as good.

I am so aware of that increase of games and still hardly ever getting twenty, 69-70 was one of my favorite teams, it had size and talent, Red would win almost all the Arena games. That year he took the Dukes on the road to play Creighton with All America candidate Cryle Batiest (sp?)', a 6-10 post, Santa Clara and San Francisco and won every game. We may have been ranked as high as 4 or 5 at one time. A disappointing loss down at WVU in the NCAA to an Ivy League School ended us at 21-4' and the best returning player, Mickey Davis quit school before his senior to sit on the bench for the ABA Pgh Pippers. The mediocre years were just ahead. Cinny was Reds replacement and Al Bailey left since he thought he should have been offered the job and the Ohio and NYC recruiting dryed up. JC brought in Efrem Whitehead. And Mike James but I can't think of any talent the Dukes have had from that area. In the 1960s Duquesne was a well regarded school there since we recruited and played black kids, All America Si Green, Fletcher Johnson, etc, when most schools but some Cathelics were Lilly white. Old history but remember in the mid 1970's Duquesne was 5th in all time wining percentage of all Division 1 Colleges.

A diehard fan since 1961

2/20/2014 9:36 pm  #24

Speaking of history...It was 60 short years ago this week that the 19-0 Dukes jumped Kentucky for the #1 spot in both the AP and UPI polls. Duquesne would remain in the top spot for two weeks before back to back losses at Cincinnati and Dayton.

2/20/2014 11:41 pm  #25

Phildog wrote:

duq81 wrote:

I am so aware of that increase of games and still hardly ever getting twenty, 69-70 was one of my favorite teams, it had size and talent, Red would win almost all the Arena games. That year he took the Dukes on the road to play Creighton with All America candidate Cryle Batiest (sp?)', a 6-10 post, Santa Clara and San Francisco and won every game. We may have been ranked as high as 4 or 5 at one time. A disappointing loss down at WVU in the NCAA to an Ivy League School ended us at 21-4' and the best returning player, Mickey Davis quit school before his senior to sit on the bench for the ABA Pgh Pippers. The mediocre years were just ahead. Cinny was Reds replacement and Al Bailey left since he thought he should have been offered the job and the Ohio and NYC recruiting dryed up. JC brought in Efrem Whitehead. And Mike James but I can't think of any talent the Dukes have had from that area. In the 1960s Duquesne was a well regarded school there since we recruited and played black kids, All America Si Green, Fletcher Johnson, etc, when most schools but some Cathelics were Lilly white. Old history but remember in the mid 1970's Duquesne was 5th in all time wining percentage of all Division 1 Colleges.

That was 70-71, not 69-70, and they finished 21-5. The 69 team had the 21-4 record. The 69-70 team was Billy Zoph's senior year. The Dukes started in the Top 10 after the great season in 69, but stumbled early, and ended up in the NIT. The Dukes were never in the Top 5 in 71. They started the season unranked, Had the awful loss to Pitt, which kept them from playing UCLA, and had to climb into the Top 20. The Ivy League team they lost to was the Penn Quakers, who swept the Big 5, and was undefeated, and led by Corky Calhoun. This is the team that reached the Eastern Regional Final at 28-0, only to be destroyed by a Villanova team that they had already beaten. 90-47 is the second most famous score in Philly college hoops history. That Villanova team, which Duquesne had beaten during the year, reached the Championship game, and gave UCLA really the only close game in the 10 Championship games they won under John Wooden, losing 68-62. This was the Howard Porter team.
The combination of Davis turning pro, and the loss of Ed Searcy, is what sunk Duquesne. With those two, I can't see us losing more than 1 or 2 games all year. I doubt that Red would have retired had things gone as planned.
I agree 100% about Al Bailey. I thought he was much more cut out to be a head coach in the late 70's into the 80's than Cinny was. Cinicola had paid his dues though, and they weren't going to jump over him. It was kind of a "Foge Fazio" type situation, and neither school has ever recovered from it.

Thinking about the 50's, Duquesne was in a position where they likely could have pulled an elite player out of NYC nearly every year after Sihugo Green established himself here, but they allowed a displeasure with being seen as a basketball school, along with complaints from some alums about too many black players, convince them to pull the reigns in, and mildly deemphasize hoops. Must be something in the water here, as Pitt did the same thing with it's football program twice. Both times, shortly after winning a National Championship.

Board footera