Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/22/2014 7:50 am  #1

Dayton game at Consul

Can someone please explain to me why we play Dayton at Consul before ~5000 fans? Is there no other similar capacity arena nearby? 
Does the Duquesne AD actually make less (or lose) money on this game?

2/22/2014 8:17 am  #2

Re: Dayton game at Consul

Opportunity for Dayton to have a road home game. 

I'm looking for a silver lining in this one, and the only one I can see is this: The season will be over soon. Dayton is going to slap a big front line on us and a couple quick guards (one of whom is 6-4) and we're probably looking at a double digit loss at home. With this being senior day, I expect Derrick Colter to take 15 shots and Jerry Jones and Ovie Soko to both look to shoot every time they touch the ball. In other words, any thought of "team" or "winning" out the window.

Sorry, but it's been Groundhog Day all year. I'm anxious for Spring Training games, the NFL draft, and hopefully signing some players who can help.

2/22/2014 8:46 am  #3

Duke2017 wrote:

Can someone please explain to me why we play Dayton at Consul before ~5000 fans? Is there no other similar capacity arena nearby? 
Does the Duquesne AD actually make less (or lose) money on this game?

You mean apply a sound business model with our AD. My concern is losing him this summer when a few local High School AD jobs open up.

2/22/2014 8:51 am  #4

Those who think small are here again, and then they complain that local fans think of Duquesne as a rinky dink operation. Maybe we can return the old gym to it's original configuration, and play our games there like we did in the 30's. It'll be packed. What a home court advantage!!!

2/22/2014 9:15 am  #5

The campus gym is used for classes now. Maybe the secondary gym, the one with no space behind the backboard would be better.  If we're not drawing anyone, it doesn't matter where we play.

2/22/2014 9:29 am  #6

duq81 wrote:

Those who think small are here again, and then they complain that local fans think of Duquesne as a rinky dink operation. Maybe we can return the old gym to it's original configuration, and play our games there like we did in the 30's. It'll be packed. What a home court advantage!!!

Stay on the Koolaid what 1500 Dayton fans 800 duquesne fans yeah big time! I see Pitt scheduled half their games @ the Consol.

2/22/2014 9:58 am  #7

Iron duke II wrote:

duq81 wrote:

Stay on the Koolaid what 1500 Dayton fans 800 duquesne fans yeah big time! I see Pitt scheduled half their games @ the Consol.

Pitt has a modern 12,000 seat arena. They don't need to move their games away from Oakland. The Consol is on our campus. We will actually have some students at a game this weekend.

2/22/2014 10:48 am  #8

So, this game is very, very important for the following reasons:
1.  Duquesne is so bad my wife doesn't go with me any more so that is one less person.
2. The neighbor guy just looks and laughs after I say it is Duquesne - he listen when I ask if he would like to go to a BBall game.
3.  Another guy I work with is actually going to go today but probably because I told him I would buy him lunch at Armstrongs Rest. first.   He may be going just for the food but that is okay.  However, if we get blown out I will have chalked another one off my list.  

2/22/2014 2:02 pm  #9

Probably 1000 here from Dayton n less than 100 studentsfrom DU.  If u lose they dont come. Go back to the Palumbo  it is less embarassing. GA

Last edited by FAM (2/22/2014 2:03 pm)

2/24/2014 8:04 pm  #10

I have season tickets and I was there.  But I blame no one else for not going.  If you read many of the other posts - I won't repeat - there isn't a program to go watch.

2/24/2014 10:53 pm  #11

fjhryn wrote:

Actually, there were 6000 plus officially at the game. Many Dayton fans, but we expected that. What I didn't expect was the pathetic turnout of DU students. How many on this board were there? Don't take shots at attendance if you don't participate. Put personal agendas aside & support this team, regardless of how hard it may be!

Some perspective since you are the most recent addition to the board. Keep in mind this is my perspective. I don't pretend to speak for anyone.

Many of the folks who post here are long-time fans who have supported the program for 30-50 or more years, going back to our days as students. Most are season ticket holders. Some (as in my case) live some distance away and follow the team faithfully, including showing up at road games when games are played closer to us.

The only agenda we have is that we're tire of losing.

Last NCAA appearance: 1977.

We were told that the firing of Ron Everhart was necessary. To some of us, understanding why the only coach who has been able to overcome decades of the albatross that this program had become -- a coach who finished at or above .500 every year -- has been elusive, just as accepting that Jim Ferry represents a "next level" coach has been difficult to understand. Others, of course, agree with the AD on both counts.

Some of us look at the current roster and see two guys coming back next year who are proven A-10 players (McKoy and Mason), two returning starters who seem like mediocre players, and a bunch of question marks. Others think the composition of the roster is fine, at least. Those in category 1 are already sensing that the loss of Soko will mean fewer wins next year than this year. Others think we're still making progress.

Some of us see long-time fans leaving in droves, and are upset by it. Others shrug it off. 

Some of us are upset that Robert Morris has passed us by in basketball. Even though we have better facilities, more money, a better conference, and "finally, a guy who can beat Robert Morris." Others don't care if our nose is bleeding, both eyes are blackened, and we've failed to land so much as a blind swing. They still see us winning.

I do believe we all want to see this program win. I just think some of us in category 1 aren't going to live long enough to see it happen.

2/25/2014 7:23 am  #12

fjhryn wrote:

Actually, there were 6000 plus officially at the game. Many Dayton fans, but we expected that. What I didn't expect was the pathetic turnout of DU students. How many on this board were there? Don't take shots at attendance if you don't participate. Put personal agendas aside & support this team, regardless of how hard it may be!

Blindly supporting this program is ludicrous. The students are the smart ones, not wasting their time on a basketball program that has stunk for the most part for decades. Not going to games is not the fault of fans. It's the fault of an administration that is clueless about building a successful atmostphere. They should see the low attendances as a problem with the team not the support. Put a great team on the floor and the students and fans will go. Supporting them when they put a bad product on the court only motivates them to keep it that way.

Board footera