Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/27/2014 9:59 pm  #1

First time since 61-62' dukes final four nit team, beats a top 10 team

On the road, this was a great win.

A diehard fan since 1961

2/27/2014 10:02 pm  #2

Re: First time since 61-62' dukes final four nit team, beats a top 10 team

Is this next level enough for the haters? I bet those guys won't post until the next loss. Best regular season road win since the Red Manning era. I'm smiling like a butcher's dog.

2/27/2014 10:05 pm  #3

duq81 wrote:

Is this next level enough for the haters? I bet those guys won't post until the next loss. Best regular season road win since the Red Manning era. I'm smiling like a butcher's dog.

That team had Mike Rice at small forward, John Cegalis, Clyde Arnold, Willie Somerset, Ron Willard and lost to Dayton in semi final at MSG.

A diehard fan since 1961

2/27/2014 10:17 pm  #4

Phildog wrote:

duq81 wrote:

That team had Mike Rice at small forward, John Cegalis, Clyde Arnold, Willie Somerset, Ron Willard and lost to Dayton in semi final at MSG.

Red Manning had a really good run from 1967-68, to 1972-73, with many big wins at home, but none like this on the road. Villanova and LaSalle used to always win in Philly, but would lose here, and then cry about physical play.

2/27/2014 10:22 pm  #5

duq81 wrote:

Phildog wrote:

duq81 wrote:

Red Manning had a really good run from 1967-68, to 1972-73, with many big wins at home, but none like this on the road. Villanova and LaSalle used to always win in Philly, but would lose here, and then cry about physical play.

Meaning being pummeled by Barry and Gary.

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

2/27/2014 10:23 pm  #6

duq81 wrote:

This is surprising, coming from you. This is a great win, an amazing win. But next-level is getting to the Dance. Tonight at least is proof that the Dukes can play with the big boys. Hope it carries over.

2/27/2014 10:35 pm  #7

ElDuque wrote:

duq81 wrote:

This is surprising, coming from you. This is a great win, an amazing win. But next-level is getting to the Dance. Tonight at least is proof that the Dukes can play with the big boys. Hope it carries over.

Actually, I agree with you, but I had to tweak those 2 trolls that complain about everything. One thing I can say, is that some have wanted some tangible evidence that Ferry "might" be able to get us to the next level. Well, tonight his team did something that no Duquesne team had done in 52 years. SLU is probably a bit overrated, but still, this team was a consensus choice for the basement, and they are not going to finish there. The defense is still not great, but it's light years better than it was earlier in the year. All I asked was to see progress, and I've seen it, so I will go into the offseason with hope for the next two years.

2/27/2014 10:43 pm  #8

I thought the defense played better in the second half. Thought Soko had a clean block on Jett on that 'tending call. 

2/27/2014 10:50 pm  #9

I think this was the team's best defensive game of the year.

2/28/2014 12:48 am  #10

VBC wrote:

I think this was the team's best defensive game of the year.

And this was on top of another fine defensive effort vs Dayton.  Forced 16 turnovers from the Billikens; 15 turnovers from the Flyers.

2/28/2014 5:25 am  #11

I remember this feeling - nice job Dukes - happy for the kids!!

2/28/2014 7:15 am  #12

Some points;

Mason is an amazing shooter, maybe a better pure shooter than Ray Allen, who is the best 3 point shooter in NBA history. He makes Rick Suder look like a bricklayer. What a contrast from the barrage of bricks we were getting from 3 before this year.

Could Jerry Jones pull a Don Maser on us? For you younger folks, Maser was a senior swing man on our last NCAA team. Partially because of injuries, he had largely done nothing to distinguish himself during his first 31/2 years on the Bluff. However, late in his senior year, the light came on, and suddenly a big hole in the lineup was filled. If Jones can play like he did last night, we become a dangerous team.

2/28/2014 7:34 am  #13

Phildog wrote:

duq81 wrote:

http://digital.library.duq.edu/cdm-photos/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/cdm-photos&CISOPTR=303&CISOBOX=1&REC=2

2/28/2014 8:09 am  #14

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

Phildog wrote:

duq81 wrote:

http://digital.library.duq.edu/cdm-photos/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/cdm-photos&CISOPTR=303&CISOBOX=1&REC=2

Thanks for linking that picture, Willie Ross, Denny (the Jumping Jack) Cuff and others came later, Willie sat out a year with a leg injury I think, saw my first game at Arena in 1964' vs The Brown Indians of St Bonaventure as they were called in those days. Listened to games on KQV in 1961-62 and am still hooked, I was 13 at the time.

I recorded last nights game on Hd/ DVR , I think I will watch it again right now!

A diehard fan since 1961

2/28/2014 8:26 am  #15

duq81 wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

duq81 wrote:

Actually, I agree with you, but I had to tweak those 2 trolls that complain about everything. One thing I can say, is that some have wanted some tangible evidence that Ferry "might" be able to get us to the next level. Well, tonight his team did something that no Duquesne team had done in 52 years. SLU is probably a bit overrated, but still, this team was a consensus choice for the basement, and they are not going to finish there. The defense is still not great, but it's light years better than it was earlier in the year. All I asked was to see progress, and I've seen it, so I will go into the offseason with hope for the next two years.

I dislike the label of Hater that has been hinted about some of my posts. I don't see myself as that, just someone who has seen a lot of losing over the years and isn't easily impressed. I am impressed with this win and even bragged to my friends that we have more quality wins than Pitt. 

This is the only win of the season that has impressed me because we were such underdogs and knocked off such a powerful team. Winning out would be a great encouragement that we are heading in the right direction rather than popped up for one good game. 

2/28/2014 8:54 am  #16

Be fair...your posts are always negative. We all get the situation but many of us want to see this program be successful. This is a moment to savor.

Board footera