Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/03/2014 8:42 pm  #1

UMass

This is a matchup I was dreading all season. UMass has one of the best point guards in the east in Chaz Williams (15.6 ppg, 7.1 apg), and a solid big man in Cady “Don’t Call Me Jack” LaLanne (12.4 ppg, 8.4 rpg). UMass has eight regular players in its rotation, seven of whom average at least 8 ppg. The backup big man, Tyler Bergantino, plays every day but doesn’t score or rebound much, but he doesn’t have to with Samson Carter and Rafiael Putney, 6-8 and 6-9 respectively, combining for more than 20 points and 10 rebounds each night. UMass shoots and rebounds well, the big men block shots and the guards create turnovers. The Dukes of course are coming off a huge upset over then #10 St. Louis and have taken Dayton and St. Bonaventure down to the wire, but have been inconsistent all season. The game against St. Louis demonstrated what the Dukes can do when they identify the open man, and Jerry Jones and Micah Mason stepped up with career games. For Duquesne to win Wednesday they have to continue unselfish play and get big games out of the usual suspects - Soko, Mason, McKoy, and Colter. If Derrick Colter shows the same kind of court awareness and willingness to share the ball, and if he can step into good shots as they present themselves, he can help his team as much as Williams will help UMass. Derrick has to understand that the numbers he produces don’t have to be as big. 8-9 points, 5 assists, low turnover number, hit FTs at the end - that’s all he needs to do. Soko must be consistent all game and McKoy has to step up. Plus Jerry Jones or LG Gill (or both) need to chip in on both ends of the court. I have to predict a UMass win, but if the Dukes can keep it close, I won’t be surprised with another big upset. UMass 68-62.

3/03/2014 9:01 pm  #2

Re: UMass

E.D.  Wanna know something good?  They can only play five at a time!!  There are statistics and damned statistics as Professor/Dr. Matlin used to say as I was working my way toward one of the few A's I got in my Bus. Adm. courses.  Their regular 8 man rotation scores about 64-68 agame.  Our team rotation scores 72.4 a game and gives up 72.6 a game.  We have a good chance for victory. I'm keeping the faith.

Last edited by grammudder (3/03/2014 9:02 pm)

3/03/2014 9:47 pm  #3

grammudder wrote:

E.D.  Wanna know something good?  They can only play five at a time!!  There are statistics and damned statistics as Professor/Dr. Matlin used to say as I was working my way toward one of the few A's I got in my Bus. Adm. courses.  Their regular 8 man rotation scores about 64-68 agame.  Our team rotation scores 72.4 a game and gives up 72.6 a game.  We have a good chance for victory. I'm keeping the faith.

"Lies, dammed lies, and statistics". Attributed by Mark Twain to Disraeli.

3/04/2014 7:55 am  #4

We're a 12 win team. They're a 22 win team. Those numbers don't lie. UMass is tough not because of numbers but because those eight are damned good. We still have some holes in our rotation because all of the so-called bricks are not in place. We can win but it will take a huge effort. I'm optimistic, but I'm not a blind faith guy.

3/04/2014 10:20 am  #5

Two years ago, Chaz Williams completely outplayed this year's supposedly NCAA Player of the Year T.J. McConnell.  Chaz can have an off game now and then, though.

3/04/2014 11:11 am  #6

Can someone confirm whether or not Jerry Jones started against Dayton on Senior Day? Thought I heard that he did not start.

3/04/2014 12:01 pm  #7

Was Dayton Senior Day? We have another home game.

3/04/2014 12:37 pm  #8

Dayton was senior day, Jerry Jones did not start, and we do have one more home game. I believe I read that Dayton was selected because the game was at the Consol Center and thus had a higher level of visibility. 

That's about all I know. Maybe one of the folks with inside knowledge can provide additional information.

3/04/2014 12:38 pm  #9

I understand it was senior day. I thought it was unusual too.

3/04/2014 12:48 pm  #10

JPG I've stopped questioning things.

Bilgy, you're about less than half right. In a regular season game, TJ outscored Williams 15-8, had 6 assists to Chaz' 4, and had 4 steals that contributed to Williams' 7 turnovers. In the A-10 Tournament, Williams had the upper hand in points (21-12), but TJ in assists (6-4). 13 of Williams' points came on FTs, and TJ had two PFs, so Chaz was getting to the basket and no one was stopping him. I don't think TJ is a POY candidate; he's not the leading scorer on 'zona.

I'd rather talk about Micah Mason, or Ovie Soko, or Dominique McKoy.

3/04/2014 2:58 pm  #11

UMASS been working on their press and plan on using it more. Probably gonna be a lot of back and forth 2morrow nite.

3/04/2014 4:44 pm  #12

ElDuque wrote:

I don't think TJ is a POY candidate; he's not the leading scorer on 'zona.

Doug McDermott has lapped the field about 10 times in the "contest" for POY. He may get more votes than the rest of the field combined.

3/05/2014 10:04 am  #13

I hope Jerry Jones gets a start tonight. I'm hoping that not starting him against Dayton was because the game was not at Palumbo.

3/05/2014 10:29 pm  #14

Tough, tough loss tonight. You know me, no moral victories, but the Dukes played another 20+ win team to the wire. Remember that the next time we face them.

3/05/2014 11:26 pm  #15

ElDuque wrote:

Tough, tough loss tonight. You know me, no moral victories, but the Dukes played another 20+ win team to the wire. Remember that the next time we face them.

The key will be if we can carry this improved play over into next season. The fact that while Ovie is playing well, it's not a case of him out and out carrying the team, gives me some hope. If we can take care of business early in the year, I think we can get back on the winning side of the ledger. Some of the young guys will need to step up, but Mason and McKoy will need to have good years as our upper classmen, and leaders. Robinson is really going to be important. I will be watching him closely this summer. Let's hope Watkins can shake off the rust, and become another asset.

3/06/2014 6:27 am  #16

Unfortunately Watkins has gone a long stretch without a lot of game experience, and now Robinson too. We clearly need to replace one starter, and I still believe we need to upgrade the 1 and 3. But I'd like to see a win Saturday and a little run in the A-10 to end the year.

3/06/2014 9:25 am  #17

We discussed this last night during the game, any idea as to why Watkins sits at the end of the bench and never sees PT? If this was going to be the case, why didn't they redshirt him?

3/06/2014 9:58 am  #18

You'd have to ask someone close to the program. Maybe post on Stephen Nesbitt's article. I'd also be curious to know. Seems like we wasted the kid this year. Lewis too.

3/06/2014 10:04 am  #19

You can't redshirt too many players. If you do, it really clogs up your roster, and affects recruiting down the road. With Robinson basically taking a redshirt, you're down 2 scholarships if you do it with Watkins. He likely just never got into a groove after the late start. It was going to be either him or Gill getting what playing time was available up front, and Gill had the head start. Ferry really likes Gill's upside as well. With Jerry and Ovie graduating, there will be about 45 minutes a game up for grabs next year. There will be competition for those minutes, which is never a bad thing. JJ will have to fight to keep his minutes as well, so If Watkins steps up, he'll play.

3/06/2014 1:41 pm  #20

Jeremiah will have an advantage because Ferry values smaller players and guys who have been in the system longer. When I weigh that against my own -- actually, that of the old ball coach Bill Parcells -- that you play the guys who give you the best chance of winning, I would see things differently. There is nothing that Jeremiah brings to the table that suggests strongly that he should start and play so many minutes. Even now, I think I would have been starting Jerry Jones, who is a better rebounder, defender, shooter, passer and scorer.

There's eight months to go until opening tip, which means three NLIs (and the subsequent NCAA clearance), offseason, practice, and everything else in between, but if "ifs" and "buts" could be candy and nuts for a minute, here is what I would like to see next season: Robinson and McKoy at the 5 and 4, spelled by Watkins and Lewis; Gill at the 3, spelled by the new kids; Mason at the 2, spelled by Ridenour, White and Jones; and the kid from St. Anthony's, spelled by Colter and Ridenour.

Of course, depending what happens between now and November, I reserve the right to keep an open mind.

3/06/2014 3:10 pm  #21

There have been many disappointments this year, but the team has shown just enough in the last few weeks to make you say, hmmmmm! Of course, hindsight will be 20-20. If the team plays well next year, we'll all be saying how we could see it coming together at the end of the 2013-14 season. If not, these games will mean little.

3/06/2014 3:24 pm  #22

duq81 wrote:

There have been many disappointments this year, but the team has shown just enough in the last few weeks to make you say, hmmmmm! Of course, hindsight will be 20-20. If the team plays well next year, we'll all be saying how we could see it coming together at the end of the 2013-14 season. If not, these games will mean little.

Not really showing in the W column but we do seem to be playing our best basketball at the end of the season for one of the few times in the last several years.

3/06/2014 3:49 pm  #23

WashPaRick wrote:

duq81 wrote:

Not really showing in the W column but we do seem to be playing our best basketball at the end of the season for one of the few times in the last several years.

I agree with both of you.  We lost to a clearly better team last night after fighting them down to the wire.  The team is no longer being in disarray for large segments of the game as it was earlier in the year.  We wouldn't have lost to New Hampshire or Robert Morris if we were playing at the current level back in December and I dare say we wouldn't have lost to Penn State, either.

Forward progress does seem apparent to me right now.  We'll see how this plays out in the non-conference part of the schedule for 2014-15.  I think we should play a more challenging schedule than we did this year and if we can come out of it with no more than let's say 4 losses then we could be pleasantly surprised when the whole season  has played out.

3/06/2014 4:05 pm  #24

Great points, and I agree plus I have never seen A-10 as strong top to. Bottom.

I still don't like the point play with DC and always though JJ gave a lot of effort and should have played more all year but these Dukes put up a fight each game

A diehard fan since 1961

3/06/2014 4:48 pm  #25

Jon Rothstein of CBS said on the radio today that he expects the A-10 to get six bids to the NCAA Tournament, and the Big Least to get two, tops. I'll digest a bite or two of crow because I thought coming into this season that the A-10 was heading for a letdown following the loss of Temple, Xavier, and Butler. Yeah, yeah, Charlotte left too.

And not that the loss of three strong programs is the reason, because two of them are having miserable seasons and Xavier is no lock for the Dance, but the teams at the top of the conference have had great seasons and have created a redistribution of power within the A-10.

It's good to know that the conference is in a good position right now. It was good to see more televised games, especially more televised DU games.

I agree with VBC that we have to play a stronger non-con next season. Of course we need to have Pitt, WVU, Penn State, Bobby Mo and St. Francis. Maybe a Big Least team (Xavier? Marquette? How about St. John's?). Maybe Ferry wants to play one at LIU?

Board footera