Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/06/2014 6:28 pm  #26

Re: UMass

ElDuque wrote:

Jon Rothstein of CBS said on the radio today that he expects the A-10 to get six bids to the NCAA Tournament, and the Big Least to get two, tops. I'll digest a bite or two of crow because I thought coming into this season that the A-10 was heading for a letdown following the loss of Temple, Xavier, and Butler. Yeah, yeah, Charlotte left too.

And not that the loss of three strong programs is the reason, because two of them are having miserable seasons and Xavier is no lock for the Dance, but the teams at the top of the conference have had great seasons and have created a redistribution of power within the A-10.

It's good to know that the conference is in a good position right now. It was good to see more televised games, especially more televised DU games.

I agree with VBC that we have to play a stronger non-con next season. Of course we need to have Pitt, WVU, Penn State, Bobby Mo and St. Francis. Maybe a Big Least team (Xavier? Marquette? How about St. John's?). Maybe Ferry wants to play one at LIU?

Play a road game vs some power team. Nothing to lose at all.

3/06/2014 7:58 pm  #27

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

3/07/2014 11:59 am  #28

Boy, I agree and it goes along with what I've said before.  They need to get ratings somewhere.  Those who think that adding more teams from the A10 to do that are kidding themselves if they think the Richmond and Dayton areas are going to do that. 

3/07/2014 12:37 pm  #29

Mulder wrote:

Boy, I agree and it goes along with what I've said before.  They need to get ratings somewhere.  Those who think that adding more teams from the A10 to do that are kidding themselves if they think the Richmond and Dayton areas are going to do that. 

They traded exposure for money. This was a big gamble, and we will see if it was a mistake long term. Adding markets won't help. They are struggling despite having NYC, Chicago, Philly, and DC. The BE is a mid major league, and there is limited interest in it. Sports fans are in the habit of turning on ESPN, and if there is a decent event on, they will watch it. The BE has to depend on people who specifically want to watch a particular game, and are willing to look for it. This is mainly BE fans. With most of the heavyweights gone, there are few matchups that will entice the non BE basketball fan to seek them out. Plus, while FS1 is regularly forced to show such unattractive matchups as Seton Hall vs PC, or worse yet, OOC games vs cupcakes, ESPN is countering them with strong matchups culled from numerous leagues. Sure, fans of the various BE teams are watching, but a national network can't make it if the games don't have appeal outside of the team's home markets.

3/07/2014 12:56 pm  #30

Not disagreeing with you Mulder, but the A-10 is represented with seven teams in four of the top 10 TV markets (#1 NY, #4 PHI, #6 BOS (stretching for UMass), and #8 DC), and three more top 25 markets (# STL, #23 PGH, #24 CHA). All of our teams fall in top 100 markets. The Big Least has some attractive markets but Creighton, Butler, Xavier, and Marquette are all in lower rated TV markets, and I consider Seton Hall a stretch for NY. It's kind of a funny thing to kick around, because if you think about it, a conference like the Big 10 gets a lot of national exposure, while its schools are located in Podunkville markets.

3/07/2014 1:01 pm  #31

duq81, I think those guys shot themselves in the foot when they walked away from UConn, Cincinnati and Louisville. Sure, they were plundered by the ACC but I really think they blew that. Speaking of which, I think Temple and Xavier were idiots for leaving the A-10. They walked away from long-time rivalries. Now Temple gets to send its women's X-country to SMU. How's that working out for them?

3/07/2014 2:18 pm  #32

"Our conference is third in the country when it comes to conference strength, whether it's Kenpom, I think we're fourth in the RPI as a conference.

And maybe we haven't won the PR battle but I do know this: I coached in the A-10. And I coach in the Big East now. And I'm telling you right now, Georgetown would be a Top 2 or 3 team in the Atlantic 10. And it's not even close.

And so maybe we're not winning the PR battle. But to think that the Big East may only get two teams in and people are trying to put that out there – it's foolish. Look at the strength of schedule. Look at what these teams in the league have done in the upper echelon. And we'll go from there."

Desperate times call for desperate measures at Xavier with Chris Mack I suppose. NYC media campaign will be starting soon to "correct this injustice" for the Big East. Problem is no one will be watching FS1 to hear any of the BE talk from the TV side.

Last edited by Brian (3/07/2014 2:19 pm)

3/07/2014 3:24 pm  #33

ElDuque wrote:

Not disagreeing with you Mulder, but the A-10 is represented with seven teams in four of the top 10 TV markets (#1 NY, #4 PHI, #6 BOS (stretching for UMass), and #8 DC), and three more top 25 markets (# STL, #23 PGH, #24 CHA). All of our teams fall in top 100 markets. The Big Least has some attractive markets but Creighton, Butler, Xavier, and Marquette are all in lower rated TV markets, and I consider Seton Hall a stretch for NY. It's kind of a funny thing to kick around, because if you think about it, a conference like the Big 10 gets a lot of national exposure, while its schools are located in Podunkville markets.

Mostly flagship schools that have statewide appeal though. Ohio $tate for example,  is big in both Cincy and Cleveland.

3/07/2014 4:34 pm  #34

But neither of those markets is very big. I do get your point, it's really about national exposure/following for the BCS schools.

3/07/2014 6:32 pm  #35

ElDuque wrote:

But neither of those markets is very big. I do get your point, it's really about national exposure/following for the BCS schools.

Correct. While those Ohio markets are not big, Ohio itself is one of the most populous states, and O$U is popular in all corners of the state. Those BE schools are popular in their home cities. Add to that the fact that schools like Georgetown aren't close to being what they were 30 years ago, and what you have is a league of limited interest. There are maybe a dozen schools that move the needle nationally, and none of them are in the BE. The advantage that ESPN has, is that people are in the habit of watching that channel. If the ESPN offering was Xavier vs Marquette, many hoops fans might check to see what's on ESPN2, and then turn back and watch. Some guy in Portland who turns on ESPN now, and sees that Indiana is playing Michigan, is not going to go looking for X vs Marquette on FS1, he's going to keep watching ESPN. Unless FS1 lands the type of content (NFL) that will put it firmly on the radar of the vast majority of sports fans, the BE will be no better off than the A10 is for the games that are carried on the CBS and NBC sports networks. It's nice for the fans of those teams, who will seek them out, and be happy to be able to watch them, but as far as exposing the product to the nation, it's a huge FAIL, and the coaches in competing leagues are going to beat them to death with it.

Board footera