Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/18/2014 11:14 am  #1

Fran McCaffrey

http://qctimes.com/iowa-s-fran-mccaffery-battling-family-health-issue/article_c72bd396-ae87-11e3-a47b-001a4bcf887a.html

I've never been a fan of Fran McCaffrey, but I certainly pray for his son, him and his family for a successful surgery and full recovery.

The analysis of how he has rebuilt the program at Iowa is good reading ...

"The Hawkeyes were largely in shambles following the three-year tenure of Todd Lickliter, who was fired after averaging just five Big Ten wins a year and going 10-22 in 2009-10.

Iowa hired McCaffery away from Siena after he led that team to three straight NCAA tournaments. McCaffery immediately injected some energy into a program that had gone stale, and his up-tempo style was a hit with fans used to the run-and-gun days of former coach Tom Davis.

McCaffery also remade a roster previously decimated by turnover, with Devyn Marble and Aaron White the cornerstones of his rebuilding effort.

Iowa began to show signs of progress in 2011-12, McCaffery's second season, by winning 18 games and reaching the NIT. The Hawkeyes took it a step further last season, as Marble and White led them to 25 wins and the NIT title game.

The Hawkeyes ultimately lived up to their preseason expectation of making the NCAA tournament this season — even if they backed into their bid."

From a decimated 10-win team to an NIT team in 2 seasons, to the NCAA tournament in 3 seasons. That's the sort of model I was hoping for, although we don't seemed poised for an NIT run next year, at least for now. Maybe if we reel in a couple of cornerstoner types during the Spring signing period!

Board footera