Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/27/2014 1:51 pm  #1

Juco visits

Stephen Nesbitt reports two Juco players on campus this week. Has anyone heard about defections?

3/28/2014 12:21 pm  #2

Re: Juco visits

The Howard kid seems like he could be a good get. Highly ranked out of high school. Supposed to be a good defender and rebounder. Can play the 3 or 4

3/28/2014 12:38 pm  #3

The PG also looks OK. Just wondering why we're looking at two kids with one scholie to give, and why JUCOs when that didn't seem like the path Ferry wanted to follow. He's batting .500 on JUCOs so far (McKoy +, White -).

3/28/2014 12:56 pm  #4

ElDuque wrote:

The PG also looks OK. Just wondering why we're looking at two kids with one scholie to give, and why JUCOs when that didn't seem like the path Ferry wanted to follow. He's batting .500 on JUCOs so far (McKoy +, White -).

Don't know if anyones leaving but it does happen every year. Agree on the path. Looks like he may be straying a bit.

3/28/2014 1:28 pm  #5

On where the extra spot might come from I'm still wondering why James didn't sign in the fall after verballing.

3/28/2014 3:31 pm  #6

ElDuque wrote:

I'm sure you are aware that all coaches recruit several players per open scholarship.  They always need to keep options open, and we really don't know how many scholarships he will be able to offer at this time. Certainly you aren't suggesting that Coach Ferry recruit only one player per scholarship? 
As for JC players, it is a good path for Duquesne to take in order to upgrade the level of talent quickly.  Everyone would like to be able to get four-year guys that can contribute quickly but those guys aren't going to Duquesne right now.  We need to upgrade the talent level by any means possible and do it quickly.  I think if you are Duquesne, at this stage of development, you can compete better for JC players.  Every team wants four year guys who can play early, but not as many coaches fish the JC pool of prospects; so there can be great value.

Last edited by levon1975 (3/28/2014 3:32 pm)

3/28/2014 3:44 pm  #7

levon1975 wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

I'm sure you are aware that all coaches recruit several players per open scholarship.  They always need to keep options open, and we really don't know how many scholarships he will be able to offer at this time. Certainly you aren't suggesting that Coach Ferry recruit only one player per scholarship? 
As for JC players, it is a good path for Duquesne to take in order to upgrade the level of talent quickly.  Everyone would like to be able to get four-year guys that can contribute quickly but those guys aren't going to Duquesne right now.  We need to upgrade the talent level by any means possible and do it quickly.  I think if you are Duquesne, at this stage of development, you can compete better for JC players.  Every team wants four year guys who can play early, but not as many coaches fish the JC pool of prospects; so there can be great value.

You hit the nail on the head. I hope we're looking at several kids for that last scholarship. Give it to the best player you can get.

3/28/2014 7:56 pm  #8

Listen, I was born in the morning, but not this morning. I understand after a century of following the sport how recruiting works. I just want to know if we have more scholies to fill.

3/28/2014 8:23 pm  #9

ElDuque wrote:

He's batting .500 on JUCOs so far (McKoy +, White -).

Make that .333, El Duque, you're forgetting Marvin Binney.

3/28/2014 10:39 pm  #10

You're right VBC. And getting back to continuing recruiting efforts, I'll say this again: We need to upgrade two positions to improve next year - point guard and small forward. We can fix the second problem internally with LG Gill if his game improves. We need an upgrade at the 1 though, and we need to bring in the best player we can get. Unless the JUCO is a plug-and-play, he may not be the answer. We are very far from being able to say we should simply sign the best available athlete.

3/29/2014 5:30 pm  #11

Looks like the jucos took the Consol tour today if that doesn't get them onboard I don't know what will.

Board footera