Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/02/2014 6:17 pm  #1

Isaiah Watkins to Transfer

Alex Kline ‏=13px@TheRecruitScoop  29m
Duquesne freshman Isaiah Watkins is transferring from the program, a source says.

Last edited by Brian (5/02/2014 6:17 pm)

5/02/2014 7:37 pm  #2

Re: Isaiah Watkins to Transfer

Winters now Watkins. Hard to build a program when you keep losing good bricks.

5/02/2014 7:47 pm  #3

ElDuque wrote:

I thought a healthy Watkins would be a pretty good player next year. Might have another addittion to this class.

5/02/2014 8:21 pm  #4

I was looking for a big year from him.

5/02/2014 8:24 pm  #5

Probably got frustrated with his lack of playing time. No one wants to sit the bench anymore.

5/02/2014 8:32 pm  #6

Watkins sat the bench way too much, long after it could be blamed on injury. It was clear something wasn't right. There's no reason to have a recruit like him sitting while you put a 6'3" forward out there against A-10 teams.

5/02/2014 10:04 pm  #7

One could argue that Watkins was our best recruit and the one Ferry could be most proud of.  Definitely stings.  Gill better be ready.  

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

5/02/2014 10:27 pm  #8

Simms wrote:

One could argue that Watkins was our best recruit and the one Ferry could be most proud of.  Definitely stings.  Gill better be ready.  

Robinson was rated higher.

5/03/2014 6:41 am  #9

Who says Duquesne can't get one-and-done players?

5/03/2014 7:32 am  #10

I'm not sure what we had with him.  From his brief playing time, I was not impressed. He may have developed or may not have. I wish him we'll .

5/03/2014 9:33 am  #11

I wonder if Coach Ferry will be held to the same standard on player movement/transfers as the previous coach. How many is this now in the 2 years he has been here??

5/03/2014 9:50 am  #12

Westender wrote:

I wonder if Coach Ferry will be held to the same standard on player movement/transfers as the previous coach. How many is this now in the 2 years he has been here??

I really hope Robinson pans out or we're hurting..

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

5/03/2014 10:03 am  #13

Westender wrote:

Well, seeing as how certain people have been bashing him since he got here, I have no doubt that he will get bashed for this too.

5/03/2014 11:05 am  #14

ElDuque wrote:

By next level, I mean annual contention for the top of the A10 conference, regular appearances in the NIT and periodic appearances in the NCAA tournaments. We reached the conclusion that this kind of performance was impossible under his leadership due to uneven recruiting, large turnovers among his student athletes ....  Charles J. Dougherty March 2012

Duq81 I think Westenders question is legit, and not bashing Ferry.  Neither am I.  Just saying if this was an issue that led to Ron's firing why would be ok for Ferry?

Last edited by CLK (5/03/2014 11:20 am)

5/03/2014 11:35 am  #15

My point as well, Funny, wasn't not being able to hold onto players and constant transfers one of the knocks against the previous coach?

I am so sick of running in place against a brick wall.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

5/03/2014 3:11 pm  #16

I'm not so sure that Watkins is that big of a loss. If he was as good as was hoped, he certainly would have seen a lot more PT once he was activated. Something just didn't add up there.

5/03/2014 3:29 pm  #17

This transfer is not akin to the Ron Everhart revolving door.  Ron over recruited then kicked off every freshman but the one which panned out. Then you guys wondered why we had 1 senior and 1 junior year after year. Turnover happens everywhere. Everhart was kicking guys off the team for new upside guys that never panne out. Big difference .

5/03/2014 3:41 pm  #18

The difference is Ferry's guys are leaving on their own. Spin that as being better if you can.

5/03/2014 4:14 pm  #19

"I wonder if Coach Ferry will be held to the same standard on player movement/transfers as the previous coach. How many is this now in the 2 years he has been here??" Westender

Ya know Westender, I was thinking the exact same thing!   Here we go AGAIN and AGAIN and AGAIN

Last edited by FAM (5/03/2014 4:14 pm)

5/03/2014 5:47 pm  #20

ElDuque wrote:

The difference is Ferry's guys are leaving on their own. Spin that as being better if you can.

Duquesne basketball doesn't need fans like you.  You think Everhart will return if you complain enough. He is gone. Get over yourself.

5/03/2014 6:22 pm  #21

J.D.McSwagger wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

Duquesne basketball doesn't need fans like you. You think Everhart will return if you complain enough. He is gone. Get over yourself.

Is that you, Greg???  Tell me. How many transfers have there been in Ferry's 2 years here???

5/03/2014 8:04 pm  #22

J.D.McSwagger wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

Duquesne basketball doesn't need fans like you. You think Everhart will return if you complain enough. He is gone. Get over yourself.

Web, I wonder why you single me out, when what, three-four other guys asked the same question?

Actually, Duquesne basketball does need fans like me. Most of the old fans like me have been driven away, and I've stuck it out.

You're welcome to post here Web, but no personal attacks and no "trolling" will be allowed.

5/03/2014 8:39 pm  #23

Sorry but I see a real difference in Watkins and others leaving along with how Ferry operates and the previous regime.  But I don't want to come across as bashing so I'm just leaving that statement stand without further explanation. I hope that this will prove itself over the next season or two.

5/03/2014 8:56 pm  #24

It is different. What bothers me is not a guy leaving now and then because as Web points out it happens all the time. What bothers me is that Winters and Watkins came here with high expectations and now we won't get to see how they develop. The Ferry recipe is supposed to be finding four year players and developing them, and now two good ones have come and gone without making a significant mark.

5/04/2014 11:11 am  #25

ElDuque wrote:

It is different. What bothers me is not a guy leaving now and then because as Web points out it happens all the time. What bothers me is that Winters and Watkins came here with high expectations and now we won't get to see how they develop. The Ferry recipe is supposed to be finding four year players and developing them, and now two good ones have come and gone without making a significant mark.

I don't know if there is that big of a difference in player movement between Everhart and Ferry. I agree Ron recruited kids and then let them go, but in 2 years I count at least 5 players who have left under Ferry - 3 or 4 of whom appear to have been forced out. That's not much different in my eyes. The criticism of Everhart was that there was too much player turnover - there was no mention of the reasons for the turnover. Five players in 2 years seems like a lot to me and in terms of numbers no different than under Everhart. I just ask if the same standards will apply to Ferry as they did to Everhart in assessing coaching performance and behavior on this issue. I ask with "tongue in cheek" because I know they won't.

Board footera