Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/04/2014 4:25 pm  #1

Elijah Minnie & Ryan Skovranko

Both signed with Bobby Mo, Skovranko as a preferred walk-on. Minnie may not qualify academically. Both were heavily recruited before the season -- I had read somewhere that Minnie was Pitt's top target. Not knocking Bobby Mo in any way, because these guys might haunt us the next 4-5 years, but is it perceived as a "drop in stock" locally?

5/04/2014 4:46 pm  #2

Re: Elijah Minnie & Ryan Skovranko

Those are good gets for Bobby Mo. Minnie was never Pitt's top target. You always recruit kids like this if you're local though. In the event that they blow up, or you strike out with your main targets, you want to have a relationship already established.

5/04/2014 4:55 pm  #3

We were connected to both kids at some point, but I have no way of knowing if we ever offered.

5/04/2014 5:18 pm  #4

I won't say one negative thing about anyone they recruit.  They have beaten us how many years in a row?  They have gone to the NCAA/NIT how many times in the last 7 years vs. us?
Without any doubt they are the better program...just the facts.

5/06/2014 12:11 pm  #5

I don't think Minnie was ever on Pitt's radar, which is not the say he won't develop into a fine player for RM, but he also may never play a second there.  I've seen them both play and Minnie has some potential, but from what I have heard, he would have been a JC or prep candidate if RM didn't offer.  RM had a ton of open scholarships to fill this year, because guys left, or got booted, so they could probably afford to take a gamble on Minnie.  I think Tysean Powell filled our need in that position.  He is a higher rated recruit and can put the ball on the floor and get to the hoop.

5/06/2014 3:53 pm  #6

levon1975 wrote:

I don't think Minnie was ever on Pitt's radar, which is not the say he won't develop into a fine player for RM, but he also may never play a second there.  I've seen them both play and Minnie has some potential, but from what I have heard, he would have been a JC or prep candidate if RM didn't offer.  RM had a ton of open scholarships to fill this year, because guys left, or got booted, so they could probably afford to take a gamble on Minnie.  I think Tysean Powell filled our need in that position.  He is a higher rated recruit and can put the ball on the floor and get to the hoop.

Minnie was on Pitt's radar, but he wasn't a priority. He's a kid who had he prepped, they would have kept an eye on, as I'm sure we would have also. That said, he's good gamble for RMU. They play in a league that doesn't have many good bigs. He'll contribute if he's just decent, and if he's better than that, he'll be a major impact player at that level.

Board footera