Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/01/2014 11:59 am  #26

Re: Dukes Non Conference Schedule

ElDuque wrote:

Welcome neoprep! Certainly not a DII. Don't know why WVU is off the schedule. Plenty of "good Catholic schools" around (Seton Hall, DePaul, BC, St. John's). Some old conference rivals (Xavier, Temple). Bottom feeders of bigger conferences looking for "winnable games." There were rumors of Youngstown State ... why not them? Ohio? Bowling Green? Why not a Patriot League game (Bucknell, Lafayette, Lehigh, Holy Cross)? Why not a military academy (Army, Navy, Air Force)?

The other way to look at it, and a few guys have mentioned this: season ticket holders have to be disappointed. Who wants to shell out money before Christmas to see the likes of Howard and NJIT?

Arrogant Seton Hall would never stoop to playing Duquesne, nor would St. John's, especially on the road. Knowing they were stuck with return games vs the dreck, they never should have scheduled Howard though. To me, I don't want road games vs also rans like Seton Hall. If you have to go on the road without getting a return game, you need to be playing top 40 programs, not has beens who have an inflated opinion of their programs.
Hate to say it, but local fans aren't going to shell out money to see us play Patriot League teams either. The fans here have been spoiled by the BE, and actually complained about having to watch Pitt play DePaul, Providence, Rutgers, and other "garbage programs". If we can't get fans to come out for Bonaventure, and LaSalle, how on earth are we going to get them to come out for Oakland, and Niagara, which are about the best level non local programs that will play a road game here?

8/01/2014 4:36 pm  #27

As a season ticket holder, I am pretty embarrassed by this schedule.  a d2 team and 2 MEAC teams is pretty pathetic if you ask me.  I know we arent going to get BCS schools to come here, but couldnt we at least do a home/home with other decent mid majors.
Im also up for being a sacrificial lamb to a kentucky or duke too. We will probably make more money for the Athletic dept. in one game then all these cupcakes will generate. 
if i got to schedule, I would try to do 4 cupcakes, a h/h with 2 mid majors( one home game and one away each year, 1 sacrificial lamb road game, then pitt, psu(or wvu pick em). bobby mo, and st francis.
we would be more tested with the mid majors and 3 bcs games and still set up to go 7-4.
im also old school in my thinking that you only get better by competing against the best.
take the nfl for example, most great cornerbacks will tell you they only got better bc they went up against a great wr everyday in practice.

confidence against lousy opponents can only take you till about 30sec after tip off when mike young from pitt puts an elbow in your chest, steals your rebound and then posterizes you...

*i also agree that nothing short of duke or kentucky visiting palumbo will generate any interest outside of the DU family*

8/01/2014 8:32 pm  #28

But why would we care about what casual, or worse, Pitt fans think? Our fan base and season ticket holder base is what it is. What we need to attract is students. Bring in something better, play competitively. I think there are plenty of good-better-best programs that would come here.

8/03/2014 8:16 am  #29

This OOC schedule simply masks the problem that Duquesne has: a severe lack of talent. Ferry has had three seasons now and there does not appear to be any improvement. Hiding that behind an OOC schedule this weak doesn't advance the program, it gives it a false sense of hope.

8/03/2014 12:44 pm  #30

Remember GA and CD told us that we were committed to the next level, and that is true, its just a lower level instead of upper level.

As far as not playing WVU, why would they want to play a team with such a high RPI, Huggins needs top  100 RPI teams to play. Playing us just weakens a good teams RPI.

8/03/2014 8:16 pm  #31

ElDuque wrote:

But why would we care about what casual, or worse, Pitt fans think? Our fan base and season ticket holder base is what it is. What we need to attract is students. Bring in something better, play competitively. I think there are plenty of good-better-best programs that would come here.

Because the casual fan is who fills the seats. Do you think all of those folks at the Pete are Pitt alums? When the Dukes beat Xavier several years back, a bunch of the people who were there are folks who regularly attend Pitt games. Those folks will come for a good product. It just seems that every time we get a good crowd, we have crapped the bed.

8/03/2014 8:18 pm  #32

rittersdiner wrote:

This OOC schedule simply masks the problem that Duquesne has: a severe lack of talent. Ferry has had three seasons now and there does not appear to be any improvement. Hiding that behind an OOC schedule this weak doesn't advance the program, it gives it a false sense of hope.

3 seasons? I must have missed one. How did we do during the year I missed? I thought for sure we had only played 2 under Ferry. Call me Rip Van Winkle.

8/04/2014 7:58 am  #33

Just being proactive on the b*tch board.  Heavy tipper, lol.

8/04/2014 11:23 am  #34

duq81 wrote:

rittersdiner wrote:

3 seasons? I must have missed one. How did we do during the year I missed? I thought for sure we had only played 2 under Ferry. Call me Rip Van Winkle.

Maybe he means 3 years of Ferry recruiting without waiting to see how the 3rd year of recruits work out.

8/04/2014 3:28 pm  #35

Westender wrote:

duq81 wrote:

rittersdiner wrote:

Maybe he means 3 years of Ferry recruiting without waiting to see how the 3rd year of recruits work out.

No one knows for sure how these guys will pan out, but when multiple new Dukes are pointed out by Pitt fans as looking like nice players, you have to figure that maybe Ferry knows a little more than the nattering nabobs of negativity on this board. That doesn't even include the two guys who will be sitting out this year, both of whom were well regarded coming out of school. I guess unless we start landing guys who had offers from Kansas, and Kentucky, our recruits all stink.

8/04/2014 3:38 pm  #36

Stay the course, duq81.

8/04/2014 4:02 pm  #37

duq81 wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

Because the casual fan is who fills the seats. Do you think all of those folks at the Pete are Pitt alums? When the Dukes beat Xavier several years back, a bunch of the people who were there are folks who regularly attend Pitt games. Those folks will come for a good product. It just seems that every time we get a good crowd, we have crapped the bed.

Good product = a good Duquesne team and an opponent worth seeing for those folks. Or am I missing something?

8/04/2014 5:12 pm  #38

im actually pretty optimistic about ferry and the team. i think 500(+ or- a game) is possible for conf play this year and I think NIT following year. This is the most optimistic ive been about duq since REs second year.
What I am very irritated about is the amount of money I have to shell out to watch us play d2 and meac teams. pitt isnt included in season ticket package, bobby mo and psu are on the road which leaves either sfu or njit as our big home non con game this year. i just think it stinks we cant do a home and home with a MVC, Horizon, or CAA team..

8/04/2014 5:35 pm  #39

If the goal of this schedule to get the Dukes ready for A-10 play, it won't work.

On the other hand, if the goal is an average attendance of 600 per nonconference game, this will do it.

8/04/2014 6:43 pm  #40

ElDuque wrote:

duq81 wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

Good product = a good Duquesne team and an opponent worth seeing for those folks. Or am I missing something?

A better Dukes team will draw better opponents, but getting top 40 type temas to come here would require us to become dominant in the league. As for top 10 type programs, even Pitt can't get them to sniff. Those teams only go on the road to play other blue bloods. We can't be playing road games vs low majors though. St. Francis should have to come here 3 times to get one game up there, particularly after they screwed us when Ron was here.

8/04/2014 8:17 pm  #41

I have not mentioned Top 10 or Top 40, just better than what we have scheduled. I'm thrilled that the Dukes will have the opportunity to have a winning record, but it serves no purpose to win, for the sake of discussion, 20 games, and not even get a CBI bid. Or to win 10 non-con games and then get smoked in the A-10. And for the sake of disclosure, I would be frustrated by a team that whips up on lowly teams but can't beat Pitt or Robert Morris.

8/04/2014 9:47 pm  #42

ElDuque wrote:

I have not mentioned Top 10 or Top 40, just better than what we have scheduled. I'm thrilled that the Dukes will have the opportunity to have a winning record, but it serves no purpose to win, for the sake of discussion, 20 games, and not even get a CBI bid. Or to win 10 non-con games and then get smoked in the A-10. And for the sake of disclosure, I would be frustrated by a team that whips up on lowly teams but can't beat Pitt or Robert Morris.

I'd like a better schedule too, but no one seems to understand that they were committed to most of this schedule last year. Now you can criticize them for booking these teams last year, but these were obviously 2 year deals, and they were stuck with return games this year. As for the CBI, they don't look at sos and such. If the Dukes win 20 games, the CBI will come calling, as they would love to have a 20 win A10 team in their event. They were interested in a 16 win team, where one of the wins was a D2 game, and it's not like we played a great schedule ooc in 2011-12. Let's let the season play out before we go into panic mode.

8/04/2014 11:06 pm  #43

duq81 wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

I'd like a better schedule too, but no one seems to understand that they were committed to most of this schedule last year. Now you can criticize them for booking these teams last year, but these were obviously 2 year deals, and they were stuck with return games this year. As for the CBI, they don't look at sos and such. If the Dukes win 20 games, the CBI will come calling, as they would love to have a 20 win A10 team in their event. They were interested in a 16 win team, where one of the wins was a D2 game, and it's not like we played a great schedule ooc in 2011-12. Let's let the season play out before we go into panic mode.

Well I'm not a statistic person but, I would bet that the RPI average under RE, under the guidence of GA, would be much lower than what GA expect's from Coach Ferry.

So its not OK for RE to play 1 D2 school schedualed by GA and make the CBI, but now you feel its an achievment of our program to play this over 300 average rpi, D2 team, NJIT, MEAc team, and get an invitation to the CBI?
Keep wishing in one hand and shi-t in another and you will know what fills up first.
Call me a nay sayer, but do the chosen few of this board continue to drink the koolade of GA who said he would bring this program to the level of X, which flipped the A10 off last year and is headed to big TV money, while we try and fill the Palumbo with Howard, and any one who will trade a home and home.

Mr. Dougherty are you even involved in the legacy you told RE that you wanted to be remembered by. Its comming, and its not the legacy you wanted.

8/04/2014 11:12 pm  #44

Scotchngars wrote:

duq81 wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

Well I'm not a statistic person but, I would bet that the RPI average under RE, under the guidence of GA, would be much lower than what GA expect's from Coach Ferry.

So its not OK for RE to play 1 D2 school schedualed by GA and make the CBI, but now you feel its an achievment of our program to play this over 300 average rpi, D2 team, NJIT, MEAc team, and get an invitation to the CBI?
Keep wishing in one hand and shi-t in another and you will know what fills up first.
Call me a nay sayer, but do the chosen few of this board continue to drink the koolade of GA who said he would bring this program to the level of X, which flipped the A10 off last year and is headed to big TV money, while we try and fill the Palumbo with Howard, and any one who will trade a home and home.

Mr. Dougherty are you even involved in the legacy you told RE that you wanted to be remembered by. Its comming, and its not the legacy you wanted.

Yawn! We'll see who's right by March of 2016.

8/05/2014 6:58 am  #45

Westender wrote:

duq81 wrote:

rittersdiner wrote:

Exactly.

Three recruiting classes and the best he did was get a transfer in Soko who was his best player. I don't need a whole season of watching games against tomato can teams to know the talent level is low. 

Last edited by rittersdiner (8/05/2014 7:01 am)

8/05/2014 7:00 am  #46

ElDuque wrote:

You make far too much sense. You realize the school will never ask you to schedule their OOC schedule.

8/05/2014 3:03 pm  #47

duq81 wrote:

Westender wrote:

duq81 wrote:

No one knows for sure how these guys will pan out, but when multiple new Dukes are pointed out by Pitt fans as looking like nice players, you have to figure that maybe Ferry knows a little more than the nattering nabobs of negativity on this board. That doesn't even include the two guys who will be sitting out this year, both of whom were well regarded coming out of school. I guess unless we start landing guys who had offers from Kansas, and Kentucky, our recruits all stink.

I went to every Pro-Am night, and while I couldn't see every game, I saw enough to say the guys Ferry recruited are WAY better than past years.  The Dukes always had one or two really good players, but they now are real deep across the board.  I can't really judge Ferry on coaching, but he's a very good recruiter, and with a winning season, will probably be bringing in even higher grade talent.  Last year, Soko just jumped out to you, this year, they all look good.  Granted Mike Young was the cream of the crop, but the Dukes banged with him.  If Ferry can mold this talent into a team, they will be good.  If you are a Duke's fan, disregard the naysayers (probaly didn't see one Pro-Am), this group of players have talent.  I know its only Pro-Am, but maybe Ferry knows he needs to mold this talent.  I for one am looking forward to this season, but I just like to watch basketball.  P.S.  Not enough said about Eric James, he's my sleeper!  lol

8/05/2014 4:08 pm  #48

Duq81, not all of these teams were on the schedule last year. If we HAD to do a home-and-home with NJIT and Lowell for the "privilege" of getting a return home game, then, yeah, pretty stupid on someone's part. At least play someone better than Bluefield State. But that's it from me on this topic. I'll take the 20 wins and be happy.

8/05/2014 7:43 pm  #49

ElDuque wrote:

Duq81, not all of these teams were on the schedule last year. If we HAD to do a home-and-home with NJIT and Lowell for the "privilege" of getting a return home game, then, yeah, pretty stupid on someone's part. At least play someone better than Bluefield State. But that's it from me on this topic. I'll take the 20 wins and be happy.

I have to think that something fell through at the last minute (maybe the tourney that was mentioned), and at a very late date, they didn't want to be a game short, and there was basically nothing out there. I can't think of another reason to play such a game (Bluefield) when the rest of your ooc was so weak. As for the rest of the schedule, they are playing 5 scrub teams that were on the schedule last year. You can't tie up your schedule for 2 years with these types of teams. With the A10 going to 18 games, and with RMU, Pitt, and Penn State already on the schedule, it didn't leave them room to do much. I hope it wasn't a case of trying to hold open a spot for WVU, and then having to scramble late. I'd have rather just done home and homes with 2 MAC type teams to fill out the schedule. No more home and homes with bottom type teams.

8/06/2014 5:59 am  #50

Would love to get WVU back on the schedule. One thing I always thought would be cool would be to invite one or two of the previous season's NCAA T "Cinderellas" early on -- they might be one-hit wonders, but at the beginning of the season they might have some fan appeal. As for road games, I speak selfishly (and unashamedly) when I say I'd like to see, in order, Lafayette, Lehigh, Seton Hall, Rutgers, St. Peter's, or Princeton. NJIT has a crappy grammar school gym and no parking.

I think some of our tougher critics here, while entitled to their opinions, should understand that even the folks they might consider to be "kool-aid" drinkers are not happy with the schedule.

It sucks, period.

But it's the schedule we're going to play and now we need to capitalize on it. I'm not being foolish when I call for an over/under of 19 for the Dukes. I think 12-13 wins with this schedule would be a disaster, 15-17 wins would be disappointing. Now, the so-called "kool-aid" gang are already trying to downplay expectations at the same time, but C'MON MAN! We see all the glittering and glowing reports of the summer league, we get asked to follow without question because Ferry's taking us to The Promised Land, we schedule programs that couldn't finish in the middle of a good high school conference, B U T ... there's no pressure on Ferry to win this year?

BullPitt to that! It's time to win or shut up. I know the schedule's too soft to attract postseason (unless we win the A-10 or finish very high in the conference), but AT LEAST win these games. Otherwise, what the heck are we doing here?

Board footera