Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/06/2014 7:02 am  #51

Re: Dukes Non Conference Schedule

Anything less than 9 wins ooc would be a big disappointment. 7 wins in league play is a must. If they exceed those numbers, then I'd consider the season a success. .500 or better in league play would make us a contender in 2015-16, and would be considered a smashing success. The schedule must be improved next year. If WVU, or any other school is dragging it's feet with regard to committing to a game, move on. We can't allow schools to put us on hold, and then leave us scrambling when they don't have room for us on the schedule.

8/06/2014 11:11 am  #52

Gee, I sure miss those days when we actually stepped on the floor at Cameron Indoor to play Duke or we took down Boston College with only 8 dressed players!

yep, I get so excited for these games instead.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

8/06/2014 1:56 pm  #53

El Duque I agree with you anything less than a winning season this year will be a complete failure with this OOC schedule.   If the Dukes do not move up to at least the middle of the League this year with 8 or 9 conference wins, it is highly doubtful the Dukes will be contenders the following year, and the year after that is a rebuld as the Dukes lose three starters. The Dukes need to make a big jump this season.  If the Dukes finish at or near the bottom this year (12 to 13 wins) it would be a disaster. 

Last edited by CLK (8/06/2014 2:46 pm)

8/06/2014 10:12 pm  #54

People are going to take this as me stepping on toes, but I think the staff has to be accountable for a winning record this year. To me, it's ridiculous that people ask for blind faith from a depleted, deprived and defeated fan base, but keep extending the honeymoon period for the coaches. Four returning starters, including three juniors and a senior. This is not a wet-behind-the-ears team. Time to man up.

I've bought in. I want something in return.

8/06/2014 10:50 pm  #55

I don't see anyone extending the honeymoon period for the coaches. Those of us who like Ferry think that the team will be better this year, and expect the record to show it. If it doesn't happen, his seat will be hot going into his fourth year.  Despite the horrible start last year, the team did play much better in the second half of the season, and did accomplish something that no Dukes team had in over 50 years, in beating a team ranked in the top 10 on the road. I agree that there is some experience on the team, but to hear some talk, Soko was the second coming of Norm Nixon, and the team is going to collapse without him. The three nattering nabobs of negativity, who popped up this week, want the team to fail, because they want GA fired for canning Ron. Barring injury, I expect the team to be the biggest surprise in the league, and will be disappointed if they don't take a solid step forward.

8/07/2014 6:50 am  #56

duq81 wrote:

I don't see anyone extending the honeymoon period for the coaches. Those of us who like Ferry think that the team will be better this year, and expect the record to show it. If it doesn't happen, his seat will be hot going into his fourth year.  Despite the horrible start last year, the team did play much better in the second half of the season, and did accomplish something that no Dukes team had in over 50 years, in beating a team ranked in the top 10 on the road. I agree that there is some experience on the team, but to hear some talk, Soko was the second coming of Norm Nixon, and the team is going to collapse without him. The three nattering nabobs of negativity, who popped up this week, want the team to fail, because they want GA fired for canning Ron. Barring injury, I expect the team to be the biggest surprise in the league, and will be disappointed if they don't take a solid step forward.

If I am one of your Nabob of Negativisms, then I would simply point out that we were a bottom feeder in the conference again and our OOC schedule was made to prop up the record. That's not negativism; that's fact. 

8/07/2014 7:24 am  #57

rittersdiner wrote:

duq81 wrote:

If I am one of your Nabob of Negativisms, then I would simply point out that we were a bottom feeder in the conference again and our OOC schedule was made to prop up the record. That's not negativism; that's fact. 

In a season where we were a unanamous choice to finish in last place, we increased our in conference win total by four games, and finished 3 places ahead of our predicted spot. Not anything to hold a parade for, but definitely improvement. A similar jump this year would place us in the middle of the standings, and would be a reasonable expectation. Despite the loss of Soko, the team is deeper, more talented, and more experienced than last year. I will stick to my expectations. Visible improvement this season, with the real breakthrough coming next year (a serious run at the NCAAs). Either way, you should be getting your wish to get rid of Ferry. Either he'll fail, and lose his job, or succeed, and be quickly snatched away by a P5 program.

8/07/2014 10:13 am  #58

From everything that I have read and the consensus of this message board group, Duquesne has more talent on this team than they have had for the last 4 or 5 years.  The non-conference schedule might be the least difficult in recent memory.  The A-10 conference teams are still strong, but not as strong as they were last year.  I firmly believe these statements all to be true.

Thus, very simply, this year we are going to find out if Jim Ferry can coach at the A-10 level.  

8/07/2014 1:29 pm  #59

duq81, I was not referring to you WRT the honeymoon period.

Phoenix, well said.

8/07/2014 2:51 pm  #60

ElDuque wrote:

duq81, I was not referring to you WRT the honeymoon period.

I know, but I think most of the optimists actually are expecting improved play this year, and will be disappointed and upset if it doesn't happen. It's the negative ninnies who keep telling us that the team is terrible, and will be worse than last year.

8/07/2014 3:21 pm  #61

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

From everything that I have read and the consensus of this message board group, Duquesne has more talent on this team than they have had for the last 4 or 5 years.  The non-conference schedule might be the least difficult in recent memory.  The A-10 conference teams are still strong, but not as strong as they were last year.  I firmly believe these statements all to be true.

Thus, very simply, this year we are going to find out if Jim Ferry can coach at the A-10 level.  

A BIG AMEN TO THAT PHOENIX.  NOW HOPEFULLY ON TO ANOTHER THREAD!

8/07/2014 4:34 pm  #62

grammudder wrote:

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

A BIG AMEN TO THAT PHOENIX.  NOW HOPEFULLY ON TO ANOTHER THREAD!

... says Grammy, as he adds another link to the chain ...

8/07/2014 7:53 pm  #63

Sorry to keep this thread going, but I didn't see any reference to this assessment posted earlier on the A10 message board -Duquesne's starting 5 was rated 8th best in the league - tied with Dayton.  It was nice to see someone outside the Dukes community offering positive comments. 

"8. Duquesne - McKoy, Mason, Colter, Jones, and Robinson

Yes, Duquesne believe it or not. 3 out 5 were starters last year and improved throughout the course of the season. Jim Ferry I believe can turn this ship around. This is a starting five that’s ceiling is higher than you think and IF you watched them last year you would see the clear signs Duquesne is rebuilding. This team may only be a couple years out. Very underrated guards especially Mason. Mason was THE most efficient point guard last year average 56% from the three point range. McKoy is a special player as well and is ready to lead this team. He is a really good force inside. Just needs to improve his free throw shooting. Colter could as well make a jump into his junior year. Was very impressed with how much he improved throughout the season. I am curious to see which if Jones can improve his efficiency. An underrated player is Jordan Robinson. If many can think back to a year ago how hyped this guy was for Duquesne but unfortunately was injured. Maybe Duquesne fans can fill in on his progress from what I heard he been one of the best players at practice. Another small thought, this starting five next year only losses McKoy. "

8/07/2014 8:54 pm  #64

There is no reason NOT to keep the thread going. What else can you talk about this time of year? Given the laws of probability, if this analysis has any basis for truth, you still need to account for a +/- of 2, IMHO, which means we could have the sixth best team through the 10th best. That could account for anywhere between 10 conference wins and 6. So presuming (OK, more hope than presumption) that we win 10 in the non-con, we could be looking at 16-20 wins this year. I initially set the over/under at 19, but I'll adjust it to 18.

Please note that I am not a numbers guy, so there is no science to this at all. You'd be much better off in Atlantic City, or playing the stock market. 

8/07/2014 10:47 pm  #65

ElDuque wrote:

There is no reason NOT to keep the thread going. What else can you talk about this time of year? 

Bingo!
After all of these years, it's high time we have a season where everything breaks right for us. Every year, there are a couple of teams that seemingly come out of nowhere to have a great year. I'm claiming this year for us damn it. I hate have to use Pitt for an example, but they are a team I'm very familiar with. In Ben Howland's second season ( a year that we beat them), Pitt came together late in the season, and made a run to the BE final. They got a bid to the NIT. Pitt fans were quite happy with this, as the team had fallen on hard times under Ralph Willard. Unfortunately, their two star players were both seniors, so despite some promising young players, expectations were very modest for the following year, basically avoid a losing season, and maybe make another NIT, while the young guys get their feet wet for a run at the NCAAs the next year. Instead of getting their feet wet, the young team jelled early, and posted a school record 29 wins, which stunned everyone. They've missed the NCAAs once since then, which was the year they won the CBI. Not saying we're going to win 29 games, but If you can't be optimistic in August, what's the point of being a fan.

Board footera