Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/02/2014 3:40 am  #1

Dukes' Women's Non-Conference Schedule to be released Monday morning

Duquesne Athletics@GoDuquesneRT @DuqWBB We will be releasing our 2014-15 non-conference schedule via Twitter at @DuqWBB on Monday morning at 9:00 a.m. #DuqWBB 

8/04/2014 11:16 am  #2

Re: Dukes' Women's Non-Conference Schedule to be released Monday morning

godukes1970 wrote:

Duquesne Athletics@GoDuquesneRT @DuqWBB We will be releasing our 2014-15 non-conference schedule via Twitter at @DuqWBB on Monday morning at 9:00 a.m. #DuqWBB 

Here's the Dukes' Women's B-Ball 2014-2015 Non-Conference schedule:

11/16 @ 2 PM  Princeton @ Duq.
11/19 @ 7 PM  Syracuse @ Duq.
11/22 @ 2 PM  Duq. @ Green Bay
11/25 @ 7 PM  Duq. @ Howard
11/29 @ TBA    Duq. @ Ball State Tournament (Possible Opponents: Ball St. Jackson St., Murray St.) 
11/30 @ TBA    Duq. @ Ball State Tournament
12./3  @ 11AM  Kent State @ Duq. (4th Annual Education Day)
12/10 @ 7 PM  Pitt @ Duq. 
12/14 @ 7 PM  Duq. @ WVU
12/18 @  TBA   Duq. @ Robert Morris
12/18 @ 7 PM  St. Francis @ Duq. 
12/21 @ 2 PM  Duq. @ Providence
12/ 28 @ TBA   Duq. @ Lehigh

[url=​http://www.goduquesne.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/080414aaa.html]http://www.goduquesne.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/080414aaa.html[/url]

Last edited by godukes1970 (8/04/2014 11:23 am)

8/04/2014 5:39 pm  #3

The official web site quotes Dan Burt as saying, "The strength of the non-conference schedule will greatly prepare us for the rigors of the Atlantic 10 Conference season."

What a concept!

8/04/2014 8:17 pm  #4

Officer Dribble wrote:

The official web site quotes Dan Burt as saying, "The strength of the non-conference schedule will greatly prepare us for the rigors of the Atlantic 10 Conference season."

What a concept!

Assuming that you are attempting to use sarcasm, is it directed toward Coach Burt or at the maker of the men's non-conference basketball schedule?

8/04/2014 8:32 pm  #5

It is the latter. I'm a huge fan of Burt, would never disparage him here or anywhere else.

I'm just amazed that 2 different teams playing the same sport for the same university have such disparate approaches toward the nonconference schedule.  I don't know who makes the schedule, but I'm betting that it's the women's approach that will pay dividends.

8/04/2014 9:33 pm  #6

Officer Dribble wrote:

It is the latter. I'm a huge fan of Burt, would never disparage him here or anywhere else.

I'm just amazed that 2 different teams playing the same sport for the same university have such disparate approaches toward the nonconference schedule.  I don't know who makes the schedule, but I'm betting that it's the women's approach that will pay dividends.

Coach Dan is a hard working coach and will have the task of incorporating his new players with the veterans this season.  The team will  be more guard oriented this year with the departure of Wumi and Orsi.  I believe Coach Dan is still in Europe and might be on the look-out for one more recruit - likely a forward.

6' 3" sophomore Amadea Szamosi had a great tournament for Hungry in the European Under20 championships this summer.  She finished second in overall scoring of the all the players from 8 teams participating and led her team to a 7-1 record and a second place finish.  She needs to get a little stronger to bang under the boards with some of the A-10 bruisers.

As many comments have been made on both basketball forums about the weakness of the men's schedule, perhaps the main intent of the schedule was to provide the team with a confidence builder.  However, this schedule is so weak that it makes Georgetown's non-conf. schedule under Coach John Thompson look demanding.
  Hey, I wonder if St. Leo, a Georgetown favorite, was considered as a possible opponent.

Last edited by godukes1970 (8/05/2014 10:17 am)

8/05/2014 11:53 am  #7

That OOC schedule may be tougher than the conference schedule.   It will be strange watching them play without Wumi. 

8/05/2014 4:42 pm  #8

godukes1970 wrote:

Coach Dan is a hard working coach and will have the task of incorporating his new players with the veterans this season.  The team will  be more guard oriented this year with the departure of Wumi and Orsi.  I believe Coach Dan is still in Europe and might be on the look-out for one more recruit - likely a forward.

6' 3" sophomore Amadea Szamosi had a great tournament for Hungry in the European Under20 championships this summer.  She finished second in overall scoring of the all the players from 8 teams participating and led her team to a 7-1 record and a second place finish.  She needs to get a little stronger to bang under the boards with some of the A-10 bruisers.

As many comments have been made on both basketball forums about the weakness of the men's schedule, perhaps the main intent of the schedule was to provide the team with a confidence builder.  However, this schedule is so weak that it makes Georgetown's non-conf. schedule under Coach John Thompson look demanding.
  Hey, I wonder if St. Leo, a Georgetown favorite, was considered as a possible opponent.

Burt is a good coach & a good recruiter.  I can tell that he cares a great deal about his players.  He wants to win & succeed as much as anybody, but he doesn't forget to be a nice guy in the process. He likes it where he is. In short, there's nothing bad to say about him. I bought season tickets as soon as I heard he was hired. I dunno what took so long to hire him. It was the no-brainer of the 21st century. They shoulda called him as soon as Susie put down the pen after signing her resignation letter.

I missed just one home game last year---even snuck outta work for Education Day!---& I believe Amadea will be a good one. There were games last year where she gave us quality minutes, others where she played like a freshman. I remember seeing her score on a great post move that left her opponent totally faked out; Burt turned his back, smiled, & gave a little fist pump. He knows there are good things to come from Amadea.

I don't like the practice of loading up the nonconference schedule with home games against cream puffs. I hate that Pitt does it & I'm sad to see Duquesne (men) going that way. I don't think it helps the team that does it, & even moreso I believe it's a practice that the NCAA should forbid. Of course, since the NCAA is all about the big conferences, that won't ever happen. I realize I'm probably naive, but to me going to basketball games is part of the college experience that everybody should have.  I may not be a math genius, but if there are big schools playing all of their nonconference games at home, then there are schools playing their entire nonconference schedule on the road. How excited will their students be about a basketball home opener in January when the home team is 0-12?

Board footera