Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/09/2014 3:10 pm  #1

Note to future self ...

Seven months from now, I'll look back on the Dukes' 2014-2015 and judge in my own mind whether or not we have a successful season. Before this happens, I want to provide a few thoughts for my future self.

What should I realistically expect this year? After reading all of the positive reports about the summer league, and after seeing the schedule, my first reaction was that 19 wins seemed like the right number for an under/over. I've since adjusted my thinking. Now I put that number at 18, which means I think that's a reasonable expectation, anything above that will be bonus, and anything less will be a disappointment to me. 

I'm not expecting anyone else to buy into this. I'm sure everyone else has their expectations, and will make their predictions, and who knows, maybe someone will have more accurate foresight than I do. 

But I feel good about the number 18. It means 9-2 against an embarrassingly weak OOC and a .500 season in the A-10, which, based on last year, seems reasonable to me. Oh, sure, I don't expect everything to go according to hoyle. One of those weak Sisters of the Poor is going to hand us an ugly loss, and perhaps we'll have another "moment" like we did in St. Louis last year.

I don't expect to beat Pitt or Robert Morris this year. I still think both are better than us. I would certainly WANT to beat them, and I would be very happy just to beat Bobby Mo, but I don't expect it. 

I do believe in the staff in terms of recruiting. I still think the jury is out on their ability to coach the talent they have into a winning program. Why? Because they've been under .500 for two years. It's just logical to think they have to prove they can be successful, at which point I'll be happy to taste the Kool Aid.

I do believe in the players, especially McCoy and Mason. I still would like to see an upgade over Colter and Jones, the latter of which dropped a notch in my eyes with the stupid incident with the police this spring. Ditto for Mason: Dumb *$$. 

I think Gill can be a much better player this year, and Ridenour too.

I am hopeful about Robinson, but again, what my eyes see is more meaningful to me than what other say. That's why I have such a different opinion about Colter and Jones than some guys. I've seen them. Yes, they can certainly improve, but I think they need to improve a lot.

So, future self, if McCoy, Mason, Gill, Ridenour, Robinson give you "step up seasons," and you get something out of at least one of the newcomers, and either Colter or Jones has a breakout season, and Ferry can have them game-ready and then make smart decisions during the games, and if this team hits FTs and has an effective offense, and plays defense, I think you may be pleasantly surprised.

Meantime future self, keep the number 18 in mind. Would definitelt beat what we've done the past two seasons.

8/09/2014 11:25 pm  #2

Re: Note to future self ...

ElDuque wrote:

Seven months from now, I'll look back on the Dukes' 2014-2015 and judge in my own mind whether or not we have a successful season. Before this happens, I want to provide a few thoughts for my future self.

What should I realistically expect this year? After reading all of the positive reports about the summer league, and after seeing the schedule, my first reaction was that 19 wins seemed like the right number for an under/over. I've since adjusted my thinking. Now I put that number at 18, which means I think that's a reasonable expectation, anything above that will be bonus, and anything less will be a disappointment to me. 

I'm not expecting anyone else to buy into this. I'm sure everyone else has their expectations, and will make their predictions, and who knows, maybe someone will have more accurate foresight than I do. 

But I feel good about the number 18. It means 9-2 against an embarrassingly weak OOC and a .500 season in the A-10, which, based on last year, seems reasonable to me. Oh, sure, I don't expect everything to go according to hoyle. One of those weak Sisters of the Poor is going to hand us an ugly loss, and perhaps we'll have another "moment" like we did in St. Louis last year.

I don't expect to beat Pitt or Robert Morris this year. I still think both are better than us. I would certainly WANT to beat them, and I would be very happy just to beat Bobby Mo, but I don't expect it. 

I do believe in the staff in terms of recruiting. I still think the jury is out on their ability to coach the talent they have into a winning program. Why? Because they've been under .500 for two years. It's just logical to think they have to prove they can be successful, at which point I'll be happy to taste the Kool Aid.

I do believe in the players, especially McCoy and Mason. I still would like to see an upgade over Colter and Jones, the latter of which dropped a notch in my eyes with the stupid incident with the police this spring. Ditto for Mason: Dumb *$$. 

I think Gill can be a much better player this year, and Ridenour too.

I am hopeful about Robinson, but again, what my eyes see is more meaningful to me than what other say. That's why I have such a different opinion about Colter and Jones than some guys. I've seen them. Yes, they can certainly improve, but I think they need to improve a lot.

So, future self, if McCoy, Mason, Gill, Ridenour, Robinson give you "step up seasons," and you get something out of at least one of the newcomers, and either Colter or Jones has a breakout season, and Ferry can have them game-ready and then make smart decisions during the games, and if this team hits FTs and has an effective offense, and plays defense, I think you may be pleasantly surprised.

Meantime future self, keep the number 18 in mind. Would definitelt beat what we've done the past two seasons.

Excellent post! 18 wins would leave me satisfied as well, and this would be so even if instead of following ED's scenario, they went 15-14, and then made a run to the A10 Final to reach 18 wins. 18 wins would position them to make a run at the top 1/3 of the league the following year, which, if the league maintains it's current level of strength, would be within reach of a bid to the dance.

8/10/2014 7:52 am  #3

Oh brother.

8/10/2014 12:05 pm  #4

Nice post.  But I don't have any expectations.  That way I won't go crazy anymore when we lose to Upper Abilene Christian or Texas Lower Rio Grande Valley or the other schools on our schedule. 

No expectations have allowed me not to opine further over whether RMU has passed us by, GA should be fired or whether Ferry is just padding that schedule for self preservation.

12/06/2014 10:18 am  #5

Thought it would be a good time to re-evaluate this. So far, the only things that have panned out are:
1. Something from the newcomers (better said, something from Powell). James certainly has some promise, and Stevens can score. Shame he needs to take 3-4 shots to get one basket.
2. We have lost to a cupcake.
3. We did lose to Pitt, and we will lose to Bobby Mo.
4. Gill is somewhat improved.
5. DC is shooting more consistently this year.

A lot of things have gone wrong:
1. Robinson indeed looks like a bill of goods. I remember the text message from one of the insiders telling me Robinson was "the answer." I think we asked the wrong question, if that's the case.
2. McKoy has disappeared. Ridenour too. McKoy could be some kind of injury/health problem. I don't wish that, especially since he's one of my favorite players. Ridenour concerns me, because he's got some talent and he seems to be going backwards.
3. Mason is starting to remind me of Effrem Whitehead. Good kid, talented player, but you'll get exactly the same numbers out of him every year, exceptin' for the odd game when he goes off on a hot night.
4. Jones should really get fewer minutes. He really does nothing.
5. The ability of the coaching staff to develop players is starting to concern me. In three years, Colter is finally starting to shoot a little better. FT shooting is still miserable. Ridenour, McKoy and Mason seem to be performing below last year's levels, at least so far. Two guys who seemed to be nice players have already left, and the way we bring JUCOs in for a quick look and let em leave, I worry Stevens will only play one season. They had a year to do something with Robinson, and, um, well?

The other thing I clearly have to amend at this point is my expectations of the record. 18-19 wins is unrealistic. So is 17, 16, 15, 14, and 13. 12 and 11 look like a push. So I'll say 10 now. I'll hope for 10 wins and I'll happily consider anything else to be Cool Hwip and a cherry.

12/06/2014 12:38 pm  #6

Which "two guys" who have already left are you speaking of?

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

12/06/2014 2:03 pm  #7

The coaching staff did not have a year to work with Robinson. He was NOT allowed to practice once the entire school year.

We all agree that we need to see more toughness and better play out of the Dukes. But this blind negativity needs to stop.

NJIT was a bad loss, but they did beat Michigan today.

12/06/2014 5:39 pm  #8

DukesFan79 wrote:

The coaching staff did not have a year to work with Robinson. He was NOT allowed to practice once the entire school year.

We all agree that we need to see more toughness and better play out of the Dukes. But this blind negativity needs to stop.

NJIT was a bad loss, but they did beat Michigan today.

Blind negativity? You crack me up, cousin!

PS, Winters and Watkins are the transfers about which I'm speaking.

Last edited by ElDuque (12/06/2014 5:42 pm)

12/06/2014 7:02 pm  #9

The Pitt game could have been entirely different if Mason had a good game. He was awful, a turnover machine. He may be better off back at the 2.

When Stevens took over the point, I saw some excellent ball handling skill.  He can dribble right out of traps and move forward. True, he probably needs to penetrate and pass more. I think he (and he was not alone in this regard) accelerated the bomb launchings as a desperate attempt to get back in the game.

12/06/2014 8:01 pm  #10

Our guys will shoot any time, from anywhere. They are not shy. They are also not accurate.

12/06/2014 9:09 pm  #11

Some things I'm seeing after 5 games.
1 We don't play much defense
2 We are a little taller but still need more height.
3 Robinson doesn't use his left hand around the hoop.
4 Stevens is like Soko when he has the ball. Good chance it's going up.
5 Powell going to be a good one.
6 Jones struggling on offense.
7 That fitness thing they do with 2 students is hard to watch.

Last edited by WashPaRick (12/07/2014 10:44 am)

12/07/2014 9:07 am  #12

When did Watkins ever show he was a good player? There is a reason he ended up at Furman. He shot 30% for the season on mostly shots within 5 feet of the basket.

Winters could score but did not have a position for this level. He was simply a better player than the others on the roster in 12-13. He is now at Washington averaging 4 ppg in 11 mins on 31% shooting.

Neither helped us defensively either which is where we can all agree is the biggest issue!

Board footera