Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/06/2014 8:04 pm  #26

Re: blog future teller

Actually, it's something I thought of and here's what I posted back on 1-11-13 on your board (which got one response, from you duq81) on cleaning house.

There's a second factor potentially at work here also.  Note that there is an APR - Academic Progress Report, and you currently have to be above 925 to reach academic progress without sanctions.  It is a rolling four year average.  DU's multiyear rate for four of the last six years would have been below the new 925 number. and the 2011 number (the last I can find) was 923.  The APR standards are also getting tougher, where for 2013-14 season schools need a 930 four-year average or a 940 two-year average.  If we cleaned house, those APR numbers would have potentially hurt our APR to where we may have had a loss of schollies or a postseason ban.  Perhaps some of this played a role in Ferry's decision...

---

The rules were in place at the time of RE's tenure, but are much more stringent now.

---

As for the rest, I fully agree with everything you've said here duq81, and you've made excellent points.  The season can't get here soon enough so we can end some of the mindless offseason talk...

9/06/2014 9:35 pm  #27

Sorry for forgetting your post Rog. You might notice how now, when a kid at the end of the bench "decides to transfer", the coach works to find him a spot to land. APR is likely the reason, as it's much better for you if these kids continue towards a degree, even at another school.

You might notice that the op doesn't have a single additional post in this thread. Classic troll!

9/07/2014 10:18 am  #28

duq81 wrote:

Sorry for forgetting your post Rog. You might notice how now, when a kid at the end of the bench "decides to transfer", the coach works to find him a spot to land. APR is likely the reason, as it's much better for you if these kids continue towards a degree, even at another school.

You might notice that the op doesn't have a single additional post in this thread. Classic troll!

Sorry to dissapoint 81, but I have a life I don't sit in front of a keyboard and wait for replies. I thought most would laugh as I did at the blog, and by the way I'm not the first to post someone's blog about our team people do it all the time so cool off. If you didn't like what you chose to read you could have stopped. Friends?

9/07/2014 11:01 am  #29

duq81 wrote:

'81 - what's an " op" ?

Also, were you referring to me when you posted this? : Another suggestion, don't come here posting about what is on another message board. If you don't like what Steve wrote, debate it with him on
HIS BOARD!

And finally, I'm never going to forget or let go of the fact that someone who represented my school was classless and mean spirited enough to add injury and insult to the firing of Ron Everhart by referring to his successor as a next level coach - especially when his successor's D1 record didn't strongly support that.

9/07/2014 11:19 am  #30

OP = original poster.  Thus duq81 wasn't referring to you westender.

9/07/2014 11:22 am  #31

rogabee wrote:

Thanks rog. I'm not up to speed with abbreviations in the digital world.

9/07/2014 5:23 pm  #32

Westender wrote:

rogabee wrote:

Goodness, you must be older than me. I'll have to share some of my Geritol with you at a game someday. West, I would never try to defend the classless way Ron was let go. I separate that, from the decision itself. While many may disagree with the decision to fire Ron, you can make a case for letting him go, though you may not agree. GA should have been upfront with Ron about his intentions. His only statement should have been the following. "We thank Ron Everhart for his hard work in improving the basketball program at Duquesne. We feel that the program is in a much better spot than it was 6 years. However, at this time, we feel that the program has lost it's momentum, and that a coaching change is the best way to regain this."  That is all he needed to say.

Of course, I said time and time again, that the main reason GA made the move, was that he had lost confidence in Ron, and he feared that if the team posted a poor record, which they were definitely going to do in 2012-13, he might end up going down with Everhart. Looking back at the whole situation, you can see how the collapse after the 11 game winning streak set the stage for Ron eventually losing his job. It kept him from getting an extension that would have secured his position for at least another 3 years. The aftermath of that season also marked the rise of negativity towards Ron on this message board. Ron got mosty love here his first 4 years, but it began to get a bit nasty after his fifth season. Some might remember the constant negativity from Web, who was pretty much the first poster to call for Ron to be fired. You can be sure that GA was reading the board. I also wonder if the two high school coaches who had sons on the team were in GA's ear? I have no proof, but I do wonder.

9/08/2014 8:31 am  #33

duq81 wrote:

Westender wrote:

rogabee wrote:

Goodness, you must be older than me. I'll have to share some of my Geritol with you at a game someday. West, I would never try to defend the classless way Ron was let go. I separate that, from the decision itself. While many may disagree with the decision to fire Ron, you can make a case for letting him go, though you may not agree. GA should have been upfront with Ron about his intentions. His only statement should have been the following. "We thank Ron Everhart for his hard work in improving the basketball program at Duquesne. We feel that the program is in a much better spot than it was 6 years. However, at this time, we feel that the program has lost it's momentum, and that a coaching change is the best way to regain this."  That is all he needed to say.

Of course, I said time and time again, that the main reason GA made the move, was that he had lost confidence in Ron, and he feared that if the team posted a poor record, which they were definitely going to do in 2012-13, he might end up going down with Everhart. Looking back at the whole situation, you can see how the collapse after the 11 game winning streak set the stage for Ron eventually losing his job. It kept him from getting an extension that would have secured his position for at least another 3 years. The aftermath of that season also marked the rise of negativity towards Ron on this message board. Ron got mosty love here his first 4 years, but it began to get a bit nasty after his fifth season. Some might remember the constant negativity from Web, who was pretty much the first poster to call for Ron to be fired. You can be sure that GA was reading the board. I also wonder if the two high school coaches who had sons on the team were in GA's ear? I have no proof, but I do wonder.

Duq81 this board did not exist when Ron was fired.  The negativity towards Ron was on the old unmonitored Scout Board, and on the Yuku board where it still continues for some mindless reason.

9/08/2014 8:43 am  #34

and he feared that if the team posted a poor record, which they were definitely going to do in 2012-13,
Wow, and not a game was played that year under Everhart, but like Steve you can predict the outcome, right back to my OP!

9/08/2014 11:53 am  #35

Scotchngars wrote:

and he feared that if the team posted a poor record, which they were definitely going to do in 2012-13,
Wow, and not a game was played that year under Everhart, but like Steve you can predict the outcome, right back to my OP!

The roster was basically gutted, which is why Ron was out there busting his tail when he got fired. You don't win in the A10 with a bunch of new players. It never happens, which is why Ron needed an extension if he were going to be able to rebuild the team. Prior to that season, when Ron lost a star player, he always had a remaining star to rebuild around. When TJ bailed, he lost that star. There was nothing even close to a player he could build around on that roster. He knew it, which is why he was out there trying to get some talent. It's one thing to think that given time, Ron might have a pretty good team right now with the guys he was going to bring in. It's fantasy to think that Datt, Panto, Sean Johnson, and Jerry Jones were going to be able to compete in a league as powerful as that year's A10. Ron needed an extension right then. If he couldn't get it then, he certainly wasn't going to be given one after a losing season. I don't know what it was that poisoned the relationship between Ron and GA, but minus the support of GA, any rough patch was going to put Ron in jeopardy, whic is what happened. You'll never convince me that GA didn't fire Ron to buy himself more time.

Cas, as for this being a different board, you're nitpicking a bit. I would consider this board to be the linear successor to the Scout, and before that, the Voy board, as it's the same people moderating, and mostly the same posters. The Scout board got very ugly after we lost the ability to moderate, which is why we came here. Yes, we have a different host, but to me the board is us, not the place where it's hosted.

9/08/2014 12:27 pm  #36

duq81 wrote:

Westender wrote:

rogabee wrote:

Apologies for one more kick to the dead horse's junk, but here was no shortage of people trying to stab Ron in the back, from Colin Dunlap and his posting minions to some of Ron's own assistants to disgruntled parents to Greg himself, who was trying to build a case to dismiss him prior to this. The difference between this and the previous 5-6 firings of a DU basketball coach is that there was no large, vocal majority demanding change. Most people were suprised by the firing, anyone with integrity was alarmed by the classless way in which it was handled, and anyone with a sense of fair play is sick and tired of people continuing to bash the guy for no reason. Even downplaying what he was able to accomplish at Duquesne is about a ridiculous argument as the human mind could muster. He accomplished these things WITH the continuous slings and arrows of people who should have had his back.

I disagree that Sean Johnson and Jerry Jones couldn't have contrinuted more in Ferry Year 1. They were never given the chance, and you can go back to ANY message board the previous year and see how many current detractors all viewed those guys as "rising" players. Truth is, I was the one questioning them the year before.

But once I saw how Ferry Year 1 was "progressing," I thought both should have played more because they were often better than the players who were on the court. HOWEVER, I understood why Ferry wanted to play guys he had recruited, and did not blame him for doing so.

Apologies for venting. I really hate this topic, this thread, and I vow to delete any further links or references to blogs that do not originate here. I recommend you don't read them unless you want to shave IQ points off the top of your own head -- at least until they blog about something relevant.

9/08/2014 12:49 pm  #37

Len the Scout board had no monitors for quite a while before Ron was fired.  I am not nitpicking as myself and many other who post here left that site after the crazies took over, and while I can agree it was an extension when we had control, at the time reference it was not. 

9/08/2014 3:37 pm  #38

Unfortunately history is written by the winners GA won as evidenced by firing Ron. Fortunately there are a few who are loyal & appreciate every effort Ron gave to this program & Duquesne.Whatever happens to the current regime Ron will be thrown into the previous failures as coaches ADs & Presidents. If the dukes are Nit & NCAA bound within the next 2 years good for the University.However I am repulsed by those who  befriended then turned on him by rewriting history yes 5 winning seasons in a row plus A 10 championship loss to temple. Secondly the way his termination was handled is an embarrassment to this catholic University.Warning to Coach Ferry these same people will turn on you in a second. Don't waste your time like Ron did attend funerals,hospitals invite to your home locker room weddings etc. These people are not foxhole fans. Win get out save your career . Unfortunately there is a cancer around this program.

9/08/2014 5:28 pm  #39

Ironduke81 wrote:

Unfortunately history is written by the winners GA won as evidenced by firing Ron. Fortunately there are a few who are loyal & appreciate every effort Ron gave to this program & Duquesne.Whatever happens to the current regime Ron will be thrown into the previous failures as coaches ADs & Presidents. If the dukes are Nit & NCAA bound within the next 2 years good for the University.However I am repulsed by those who befriended then turned on him by rewriting history yes 5 winning seasons in a row plus A 10 championship loss to temple. Secondly the way his termination was handled is an embarrassment to this catholic University.Warning to Coach Ferry these same people will turn on you in a second. Don't waste your time like Ron did attend funerals,hospitals invite to your home locker room weddings etc. These people are not foxhole fans. Win get out save your career . Unfortunately there is a cancer around this program.

I don't doubt Ferry will be out the door if he succeeds here. He strikes me as ambitious, and a climber. That is one of the things I like about him. I expect us to have a new coach 18 months from now. Schools always have to deal with the threat of their coach leaving. Xavier is on their sixth coach since Bob Staak built their program. They just keep rolling on.

9/08/2014 8:03 pm  #40

I want Ferry to succeed, and to be able to leave on his terms. If he doesn't succeed, it won't be me calling for his scalp, it will be the same little circle of hangers-on that is currently assuring him that they have his back. 

9/09/2014 6:56 pm  #41

With no offense to any previous posters, can we move on from this type of discussion? Right or wrong many of the topics on this board are centered around events that happened years ago (in some instances even more). I read many other team's boards in the A10 and the majority of their dicussion is centered around recruiting and the development of their current players. I have never seen so much back and forth regarding dead issues. Hopefully we can get to the point soon where we can all move on from the past and focus on the future. Maybe a new topic could be how to develop the funds to compete facility wise in our league?

9/10/2014 11:15 am  #42

Fan79 the facility subject has been discussed to exaustion. It's been upgraded with seats, score boards, corner boards, locker rooms, weight rooms, etc... This subject will lead to what you say events to the past. Its not about the facility its about the program. Penn State has an awsome facility, but their BB program sucks, and always has thats why people don't go. So with all respect based on your 7 post's you either have just arrived or don't pay attention.

9/10/2014 11:43 am  #43

Let's not "eat the young" here.

9/10/2014 12:03 pm  #44

Pay attention to what? The non LED video boards in Palumbo circa 2002? Or the wooden bleachers that remain in the end zones. Also, the scoreboard is still not HD. These issues do not exist at other venues in a league that gets 6 teams in the NCAAs. Not sure how many opposing A10 gyms everyone has been to in the last 3-4 years, but 75% of the league has put $10-$20 million into their home arenas, most of which were already better than AJP (Davidson most recently spent $13 million) We are at the point now where half of the CAA has better facilities.

Yes, of course the program winning will increase the profile the most. But as many refuse to acknowledge, as good of a school as Duquesne is, it is by far the least recognizable school in the A10 from a name standpoint. Thus, we cannot afford to NOT max out our facilities and resources if we are serious about commitment. That must be what we combat the lack of brand recognition with.

Lastly, hanging on to past, unchangeable events such as former coaches, etc are impossible to change. The past is the past. All of the aforementioned discussion is fully in the universities power to change. Nothing that has the power to be changed is ever beating a dead horse.

9/10/2014 12:26 pm  #45

DukesFan79, no one here is "hanging on to the unchangeable past." There are other threads with better topics and certainly you made some valid points. Just as I ask "longtimers" not to bash newcomers to the Board, I similarly ask you not to paint this Board or its posters with broad brush strokes. Thanks.

9/10/2014 2:55 pm  #46

DukesFan79 - good points raised, at least in my opinion.

Of course I've only posted about 76 times . . . - hey, what's a little laugh among friends, eh?  Nudge, nudge, wink, wink...

Last edited by Mulder (9/10/2014 3:02 pm)

9/11/2014 12:27 am  #47

I thought I'd clear the air on a few points I noticed in the thread.

1) We've never drawn a single dime from the message board. The ads are run by Yuku and we allow them to run  in lieu of paying a fee to run without banners. We've been running shop over there for 6 years and I've not seen a single complaint about them until this thread. Fansided does pay us but if I told you how much we get compared to how much time we spend writing, researching or promoting it, you'd laugh. I promise, I don't write because of the salary.

2) Why did I write this piece? My primary motivations were because the topic interested me and I thought it might interest others. That's pretty much the reason I write anything that I publish.

3) ED, are you suggesting I'm one of Dunlap's minions? I liked his stuff and the dedication he approached the beat with when he first began writing for the Dukes, not unlike you did as I recall. Without going into detail, he and I haven't seen eye to eye in many years. My ideas are my own and certainly not influenced by him in any way.

4) Sincere question, did any of those irritated by the piece actually read the entire entry? I give credit to Ron for at least restoring the program to some level of credibility and mediocrity. That was no small task and if the Dukes do get to the next level soon, I'm going to give him a substantial amount of credit when they do. This isn't a trash job though any reasonable critique of Everhart seems to be labeled as one.

Last edited by steve19981 (9/11/2014 12:31 am)

9/11/2014 9:41 am  #48

Yes, I  read the whole piece. And I stand by my comments about the article. I believe you when you say you meant no malice toward Ron Everhart, but given the circumsatances of his departure, I think you used poor judgement in choosing that topic for your blog and in thinking that it would not get the reaction that it did. Ron was not only fired. He was humiliated in the process. Regardless of your intentions, you added to that humiliation. And I apologize for my comment about ads putting money in your pocket. I'm glad you clarified that.

9/11/2014 9:52 am  #49

duq81 wrote:

Westender wrote:

rogabee wrote:

'81, I've been away from the board for a few days.Yes, I might be older than you. I know many of the abbreviations, but just couldn't come up with what "op" could mean.I thought it was referring to Scotch's original post, but wasn't sure.As for the rest of your post above, I agree with everything you say about how GA should have handled the firing.

Last edited by Westender (9/11/2014 9:54 am)

9/11/2014 11:13 am  #50

No Steve, I am not calling you one of Colin Dunlap's minions. Or, to be more precise, you were not one of the people that I would put into this category, regardless of your position on him, anything he's ever written, or anything he says on-air now. My use of the phrase "Colin Dunlap's minions" is very specific; you are not part of the definition.

Board footera