Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/14/2014 7:21 am  #1

10/14/2014 8:02 am  #2

Re: Doug Gotlieb thinks we suck

Can you blame him.  Really, look at our track record, who we have played, and who we win or lose to...
Until there is proof, he is probably right on...

10/14/2014 10:50 am  #3

FAM wrote:

Can you blame him.  Really, look at our track record, who we have played, and who we win or lose to...
Until there is proof, he is probably right on...

Last place? We finished 10th last year, in a tougher league. Yeah, we lost Soko, but nearly every team in the league lost a similar or better player. We're returning 5 of our top 6 players from the 10th place team. No way in hell we're finishing 14th unless we get killed by injuries.

10/14/2014 11:57 am  #4

We finish 14th if Jordan Robinson is a dud, if Derrick Colter starts a bunch of games shooting 0-8, if Mason's shooting percentage plummets, if Gill shows no progress, and if we can't defend our home court.

We finish 10th if Robinson's a stud, if the Colter-Ridenour combination gives us 40 solid minutes of PG play, if Mason repeats, and if Gill kicks Jones to the bench, and if for the most part we hold home court.

We finish 8th  if Robinson's a stud, if the Colter-Ridenour combination gives us 40 solid minutes of PG play, if Mason shoots more and doesn't lose his magic, if Gill becomes a stud, and if the two freshmen and Stephens are plug-and-play ready, and if we steal a few on the road.

10/14/2014 12:22 pm  #5

ElDuque wrote:

We finish 14th if Jordan Robinson is a dud, if Derrick Colter starts a bunch of games shooting 0-8, if Mason's shooting percentage plummets, if Gill shows no progress, and if we can't defend our home court.

We finish 10th if Robinson's a stud, if the Colter-Ridenour combination gives us 40 solid minutes of PG play, if Mason repeats, and if Gill kicks Jones to the bench, and if for the most part we hold home court.

We finish 8th  if Robinson's a stud, if the Colter-Ridenour combination gives us 40 solid minutes of PG play, if Mason shoots more and doesn't lose his magic, if Gill becomes a stud, and if the two freshmen and Stephens are plug-and-play ready, and if we steal a few on the road.

Good analysis ED!

10/14/2014 12:43 pm  #6

On the other hand, Jon Rothstein thinks we have a chance to be ok.

10/14/2014 1:47 pm  #7

Rothstein always does well by us, the way Robinson and Mackall used to, and the way Nesbitt does now. And by that I mean they cover us fairly.

10/14/2014 6:31 pm  #8

ElDuque wrote:

Perhaps a little overly pessimistic for me.  Like duq81 said, we were 10th last year in what figured to be a better league.  For me, for the Dukes to repeat in 10th, we'll need not much more than everyone taking the traditional steps forward that an extra year of experience and strength provides as well as Robinson to be a solid even if unspectacular post player along with defending the AJP and Consol.  I don't think the Dukes need Robinson to be a stud (an above average A-10 second yearguy should do) or for Jeremiah to be replaced for a 10th place finish.  Better, perhaps.  10th?  Possibly not, barring injury.

10/14/2014 7:32 pm  #9

I think we'll need more than a little extra progress from everyone after losing Soko. He made a difference in a lot of games last year. Someone needs to step up much bigger just to repeat, me thinks.

10/14/2014 9:11 pm  #10

Not being able to rely on Soko to drive to the hoop might just be a plus for the overall performance of the team's offense.  There was maybe a bit to much of the :go-to guy" syndrome last year. 

10/15/2014 11:51 am  #11

Now, see, I thought the lack of looks and touches that Mason got last year was evidence that we didn't need a go-to guy.

10/15/2014 1:33 pm  #12

ElDuque wrote:

Now, see, I thought the lack of looks and touches that Mason got last year was evidence that we didn't need a go-to guy.

I think he insinuating that the other players looked for Soko to do too much last year, and that it might be better not to have a single guy that everyone looks to, to make a play, as opposed to several guys who are trusted to make plays.

10/15/2014 4:04 pm  #13

I was insinuating that I'm a wise guy.

10/15/2014 4:37 pm  #14

10/15/2014 8:54 pm  #15

This gets tedious ever year!  We suck!  We are a below average program wtih below average athletic department, and an absolutely abysmal record in the only thing that really counts in our favorite sport......making it to the Big Dance!

Pitt justifiably laughs at us and doesn't take us seriously!  And even when we do beat them about once a decade they laugh. Until we start beating them regularly, the perception about us will not change.

Robert Morris is now the #2 team in this market and they have had more post season great moments in the last four years than we have had in the last 38!  That's a sad fact!

Until this changes, there is no reason for Pitt, Robert Morris or any member of the local or national media to treat us with anything but contempt or as an athletic afterthought!

Until we show it on the court and in the Big Dance, sadly we deserve the scorn!

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

10/15/2014 11:54 pm  #16

Tejas_Duke wrote:

This gets tedious ever year!  We suck!  We are a below average program wtih below average athletic department, and an absolutely abysmal record in the only thing that really counts in our favorite sport......making it to the Big Dance!

Pitt justifiably laughs at us and doesn't take us seriously!  And even when we do beat them about once a decade they laugh. Until we start beating them regularly, the perception about us will not change.

Robert Morris is now the #2 team in this market and they have had more post season great moments in the last four years than we have had in the last 38!  That's a sad fact!

Until this changes, there is no reason for Pitt, Robert Morris or any member of the local or national media to treat us with anything but contempt or as an athletic afterthought!

We're a year away from having our deepest team in 40 years. I'll bring a napkin to catch any crumbs from the delicious crow you'll be eating.

10/16/2014 9:32 am  #17

It's all about one thing now, and that's results. All the silly chit-chat about bricks and players and the next wave of recruits is good for discussion purposes during the offseason, but we've got to get back to winning more than we lose, to being contenders for postseason play, to beating Robert Morris, and to beating Pitt. Of course, you need Mr. Peabody and the Way-Back Machine to appreciate that last point.

10/26/2014 7:43 pm  #18

duq81 wrote:

Tejas_Duke wrote:

We're a year away from having our deepest team in 40 years. I'll bring a napkin to catch any crumbs from the delicious crow you'll be eating.

Yeah, haven't heard that one in the last 38 years or so, under how many head coaches and how many administrations that promised to "restore Duquesne to its former......yadda .....yadda....yadda.

What really got me this year was, as I have mentioned before, last year we were so excited to get recruit so and so and this or that recruit, and they  never play and they both end up transferring!  So, I am supposed to keep getting excited over recruits?

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

10/26/2014 10:32 pm  #19

Tejas_Duke wrote:

duq81 wrote:

Tejas_Duke wrote:

Yeah, haven't heard that one in the last 38 years or so, under how many head coaches and how many administrations that promised to "restore Duquesne to its former......yadda .....yadda....yadda.

What really got me this year was, as I have mentioned before, last year we were so excited to get recruit so and so and this or that recruit, and they  never play and they both end up transferring!  So, I am supposed to keep getting excited over recruits?

I don't remember anyone thinking we would be any good last year. None of last year's new guys were anywhere near as impressive in the summer league as nearly everyone was this year. Last year it was just Soko, this year, even the Pitt folks had to give us credit with regard to how well our new guys played. The team will be be about what they were the last 2-3 years under Ron this season, but they are going to be very good next year.

11/01/2014 9:47 am  #20

Tejas_Duke wrote:

duq81 wrote:

I tend to agree here. I have a lotta trouble getting excited about the team.  If it's true what we're hearing about how deep the team is, the issue is will these players stay here for 4 years? How many will leave coz they think they deserve more playing time? How many will leave coz they believe they're entitled to play on a bigger stage? I don't need to recount how many players have left the program under both Everhart & Ferry. It's not either of their faults, it's the way the kids are today. For that reason I guess I've been down on men's basketball for the past couple years or so. It's much easier to keep a good women's team together coz they care more about their education. I fear that Duquesne has become a school that the men's basketball players are using as a stepping stone. Years from now we may look back nostalgically at Bill Clark, Damien Saunders, Aaron Jackson, & Bryant McAllister as the last great 4-year Dukes.

Board footera