Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing




You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?



12/12/2012 1:25 am  #51


Re: WVU game

Local newspapers' coverage:

http://triblive.com/sports/college/duquesne/3113111-85/duquesne-jones-wvu#axzz2EoLiTjTi

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/duquesne/duquesne-upsets-west-virginia-at-consol-665919/

This team is full of surprises.  Definitely a big win for for the program which is under new management.  Now let's rip Robert Morris!
GO DUKES!

 

12/12/2012 7:05 am  #52


Re: WVU game

The Dukes offered 2014 Ryan Luther from Hampton, Pa.  He was at the game and enjoyed himself per this photo.

http://instagram.com/p/THpp-4pnlE/

 

12/12/2012 7:11 am  #53


Re: WVU game

 

12/12/2012 8:37 am  #54


Re: WVU game

CLK wrote:

The Dukes offered 2014 Ryan Luther from Hampton, Pa.  He was at the game and enjoyed himself per this photo.

http://instagram.com/p/THpp-4pnlE/

That's funny! Ryan Luther was playing a game last night against Mars; and he helped his team with the game with the last shot and a 19 point effort.  THe picture is Ryan Clark of the Pittsburgh Steelers, who I believe has no more college eligibility.

 

12/12/2012 8:46 am  #55


Re: WVU game

Sorry Levon.  got the photo mixed up.  But the Dukes did offer. Closer inspection that was Ryan Clark of the Steelers.   (embarrassed)

Steve Brodzinski�� @PGHbballReport
#Duquesne has offered 2014 Ryan Luther (Hampton, PA)

Last edited by CLK (12/12/2012 8:50 am)

 

12/12/2012 8:47 am  #56


Re: WVU game

rittersdiner wrote:

"I liked that Colter wanted the Ball the last few minutes.  It has been a while since someone wanted to be THE GUY."

Glad they won, but for God sakes, he was 5 for 16. A better opponent buries us because of his shooting. Throw enough of them up there and you score double figures. He had a BAD GAME.

Derrick stepped up at the end of the game and played a huge role in winning this game for the Dukes, nobody shot well and Derrick missed his share, but he made good choices in the last 8 minutes of this game to deliver the victory; pushing the ball and getting two breakaways for Jerry, taking it to the WVU bigs and scoring over them twice in the last few minutes.  He usually takes good shots and can create his own shot, or break down the defense and set up his teammates for open shots.  Derrick is a talented player who has a lot of responsibility and is developing into a fine player.  The young man showed great courage to go out and play this game and perform to a high level.  For you to say he had a bad game only shows your ignorance!

 

12/12/2012 8:49 am  #57


Re: WVU game

CLK wrote:

Sorry Leon.  got the photo mixed up.  But the Dukes did offer. Closer inspection that was Ryan Clark of the Steelers.   (embarrassed)

Steve Brodzinski�� @PGHbballReport
#Duquesne has offered 2014 Ryan Luther (Hampton, PA)

Yeah, figured as much; just thought it was funny; but thanks for the info!

 

12/12/2012 8:53 am  #58


Re: WVU game

DukesDan wrote:

Binney is out of Canada and spent last year in New Mexico playing JUCO

Marvin played an outstanding game tonight; by far his best performance yet.  He really picked up the Dukes when things were looking bleak.  He was a perfect 4-4 from the field and hit a huge three on an assist from Derrick late in the game!  I think this will really boost Marvin's confidence and you will see a much different player after tonight.

 

12/12/2012 8:55 am  #59


Re: WVU game

levon1975 wrote:

CLK wrote:

Sorry Leon.  got the photo mixed up.  But the Dukes did offer. Closer inspection that was Ryan Clark of the Steelers.   (embarrassed)

Steve Brodzinski�� @PGHbballReport
#Duquesne has offered 2014 Ryan Luther (Hampton, PA)

Yeah, figured as much; just thought it was funny; but thanks for the info!

Great photo though.  The dance squad, cheerleaders, and band are doing a terrific job.  It also looked like the Crew showed up last night. Hopefully this will spur more students to show up on the 19th.

 

12/12/2012 9:18 am  #60


Re: WVU game

Anybody who has anything negative to say about last night's game is clueless.  Winning against a "program" like WVU, even when they're having a down year, is a huge accomplishment and a great step in Coach Ferry turning the program around.

Were some bad shots taken by the Dukes last night?  For sure.
Did we look lost in the offensive half-court for most of the first half?  Definitely...
We however made the necessary adjustments and crushed them in the second half.

Marty all but neutralized the Big Turk.  Binney, Q, DC, and most others recoverd from a dismal first half to beat a big-time program with a big-time basketball coach.  Enough said.

Keep on hating and finding negativity...I'm going to simply enjoy watching our Dukes grow into a winning program.

 

12/12/2012 9:36 am  #61


Re: WVU game

It seems that for some of us, not only is the glass half empty, but there is no glass! I just witnessed one of the great comeback wins in Duquesne basketball history and I've seen a few since the sixties as a student. The team showed great character and Jim Ferry clearly outcoached Mr. Huggins last night. Congratulations to the staff and the players for a great game. Let's go get Bobby Mo.

 

12/12/2012 10:01 am  #62


Re: WVU game

levon1975 wrote:

rittersdiner wrote:

"I liked that Colter wanted the Ball the last few minutes.  It has been a while since someone wanted to be THE GUY."

Glad they won, but for God sakes, he was 5 for 16. A better opponent buries us because of his shooting. Throw enough of them up there and you score double figures. He had a BAD GAME.

Derrick stepped up at the end of the game and played a huge role in winning this game for the Dukes, nobody shot well and Derrick missed his share, but he made good choices in the last 8 minutes of this game to deliver the victory; pushing the ball and getting two breakaways for Jerry, taking it to the WVU bigs and scoring over them twice in the last few minutes.  He usually takes good shots and can create his own shot, or break down the defense and set up his teammates for open shots.  Derrick is a talented player who has a lot of responsibility and is developing into a fine player.  The young man showed great courage to go out and play this game and perform to a high level.  For you to say he had a bad game only shows your ignorance!

Listen to the post game press conference on official (link above).  Coach Ferry said Derrick's brother passed away this past week.  For thiis young man to come out and play the way he did took great personal strength & courage.  DC is going to be a great player for the Dukes.

 

12/12/2012 10:11 am  #63


Re: WVU game

You know the idea I threw out might just work at Palumbo to cover the emty seats.  (happy)

 

12/12/2012 10:12 am  #64


Re: WVU game

Considering the low expectations most had for this team, how can anyone be disappointed with what they've seen so far? We're only a third of the way through the season, but the first third has been very enjoyable, and has me very optimistic about out future under Coach Ferry. If we can rebound like this with a team full of shrimps, what will we do next year when we have more size?

 

12/12/2012 10:14 am  #65


Re: WVU game

I'll say. It's nice to be the team that erases the double-digit halftime deficit and gets the win, for a change. Derrick Colter was terrific down the stretch. This team is growing up and getting better right before your eyes, enjoy it.

 

12/12/2012 11:30 am  #66


Re: WVU game

A huge win!  Marty did a great job.  The whole team, coaches.......terrific.  Let's Go Dukes!!

 

12/12/2012 11:37 am  #67


Re: WVU game

levon1975 wrote:

rittersdiner wrote:

"I liked that Colter wanted the Ball the last few minutes.  It has been a while since someone wanted to be THE GUY."

Glad they won, but for God sakes, he was 5 for 16. A better opponent buries us because of his shooting. Throw enough of them up there and you score double figures. He had a BAD GAME.

Derrick stepped up at the end of the game and played a huge role in winning this game for the Dukes, nobody shot well and Derrick missed his share, but he made good choices in the last 8 minutes of this game to deliver the victory; pushing the ball and getting two breakaways for Jerry, taking it to the WVU bigs and scoring over them twice in the last few minutes.  He usually takes good shots and can create his own shot, or break down the defense and set up his teammates for open shots.  Derrick is a talented player who has a lot of responsibility and is developing into a fine player.  The young man showed great courage to go out and play this game and perform to a high level.  For you to say he had a bad game only shows your ignorance!

OK, I'll give you your final eight minutes of good play, if you admit his first 21 minutes of poor play put the Dukes in a 15-point hole against a WVU team that was just asking to get beat last night. It's OK to pick out only the bright spots - won the game, he hit a couple big shots at the end - and overlook the negatives. When you come to grips with fixing the negatives, that's when you have a strong program. . . and not just a win.

 

12/12/2012 11:38 am  #68


 

12/12/2012 1:08 pm  #69


Re: WVU game

When I said I was glad he was THE GUY that goes for the whole game.  A lot of people make mistakes.  My point was that whether he made mistakes or not, he WANTED the ball at the end and I think so did the coach (want him to have it).  He had no problem with him taking over - and he did well.  Wanting to be THE GUY does not mean mistakes won't be made.  But it was a very difficult high pressured situation.
FAM

Last edited by FAM (12/12/2012 2:04 pm)

 

12/12/2012 1:28 pm  #70


Re: WVU game

DC is a freshman and is still learning and maturing, but there is no question the talent is there.  He is under pressure to mature quickly (make better decisions and playing under control) and he seems to be getting better, but as a freshman there are periods of inconsistency.  He is a much better player when he plays as a set up point guard looking to use his quickness to drive to the hoop or kick it out to a teammate, rather than hoisting three point shots. I think that may have been the message he got at half time from Coach Ferry last night.  But if he is going to be our go to guy he really needs to improve on his FT shooting.  Shooting FT at 50% is not something you want from your point guard.

Last edited by CLK (12/12/2012 1:30 pm)

 

12/12/2012 6:16 pm  #71


Re: WVU game

CLK wrote:

DC is a freshman and is still learning and maturing, but there is no question the talent is there.  He is under pressure to mature quickly (make better decisions and playing under control) and he seems to be getting better, but as a freshman there are periods of inconsistency.  He is a much better player when he plays as a set up point guard looking to use his quickness to drive to the hoop or kick it out to a teammate, rather than hoisting three point shots. I think that may have been the message he got at half time from Coach Ferry last night.  But if he is going to be our go to guy he really needs to improve on his FT shooting.  Shooting FT at 50% is not something you want from your point guard.

What I mean about concentrating on the negatives is this: Get DC to become a better shooter. His FG average and three-point average are not terrific.Get him to become a better free throw shooter. Get him to have a better assist-to-turnover ratio than 5-3.5. Improve on those negative an dhe will be a great player.

 

12/12/2012 7:02 pm  #72


 

12/12/2012 7:45 pm  #73


Re: WVU game

The best part of the year so far is that we dont put the other team in the bonus or double bonus early if ever.  Thats smart play and discipline. Wvu had 6 FTs in the second half.

Last edited by Jeralta (12/12/2012 7:48 pm)

 

12/12/2012 11:21 pm  #74


Re: WVU game

FAM wrote:

Where did Binney come from?  He is listed as a So.

FAM, he is a junior college transfer.

 

12/15/2012 2:58 am  #75


Re: WVU game

Some short observations from the uneducated eye:
Sat in the midst of WVU students for the game, which turned out to be a lot of fun.  At the begining of the game, took a lot of grief which was well deserved.  They were commenting how they had to drive all the way from Morgantown (in the midst of having finals the next day), and Duquesne's sorry ass students couldn't walk accross the street.  Truefully, I was agreeing with them.  One of the kids took part in the "dance" contest, another won the ball & beads thing, and the they were joking about cleaning up at Duquesne's expense.  One WVU student said they should be more respectful at a Duquesne home game, but another kid said not to worry, it would be too far for the Duquesne student section to walk across the Consol to beat them up, and even if the Duquesne student section did decide to do so, all the WVU student group could handle that one guy.  The WVU student group really were cracking me up, although the truth hurt a bit.  Once the game started, it was the usual comments.  The WVU students were really impressed with the dance team, that's the one area they said that they would lose.  My take was towards the end of the first half, Duquesne was really going to give it away with sloppy turnovers.  Marhold played a hell of a game with the exception of the usual missed field goals.  Abele played his usual game. Ferry seems to bring him in as a stopper after the first couple of minutes of the other team taking it inside for easy buckets.  Like speed, you can't teach height, and Abele forces the other team to work harder on the rest of their game instead of taking easy inside bunnys.  Ferry pulls Abele to avoid excess foul trouble, and Abele gets tired quickly, which of course is where he makes his fouls.  He is a good free throw shooter (I don't have stats, just what I see).  He has made tremendous inprovement over last year, and I like the way he encourages the fans to get loud by swinging his arms up.  Sean Johnson and Coulter were great at breaking it down by taking it inside, but they need to be careful by not trying to do too much.  Its OK to be a "go to" guy, but use good sense also. Kadeem has really played well lately.  When former recuited player Noreen came in, they were matched up.  According to statistics, either Kadeem grew or Noreen shrunk, because there was not as great a size differential as stated.  I'm glad we had Kadeem talent wise, instead of Noreen, and Kadeem is going to have a fine career at Duquesne if he keeps improving as he has.  Whoever is coaching the "bigs" has made a telling difference.  The end of the game was of course a lot of fun that I quietly enjoyed in the WVU student section.  They said they had lots of bridges to choose from (being in PGH), to jump off after losing to Duquesne.  They said they would be more afraid of playing Duquesne in football than they would be of playing Pitt.  These kids were fun, and I just can't see why the Duquesne students don't get wrapped up in this kind of college experience. Lots of students on the campus up on the bluff after the game and over heard converstions  of "how to decorate their tree" some "logic class problem", what they were going to wear at some upcoming event, etc,  They were clueless that the game was even played, and that there was a big upset.  I just wanted to choke them, especially the guys. The phrase "girly men" kept popping into my head for some reason, although I have no right to pass judgement on others.  Duquesne should not force the Alumni to pay for parking, because they keep the spirit alive at the school, not this crop of wieners.  Sorry to vent.

P.S.  The Smallman's are back brothers, and while I am thankful for the Jimmy Johns support of the team, my crew "Rises Up"  for the Smallmans.  Now if we could only do something about the Nacho Guy at the Palumbo; he's a coach killer.

 

Board footera

 

Powered by Boardhost. Create a Free Forum