Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/31/2014 5:45 am  #1

10/31/2014 6:22 am  #2

Re: Mason to start at Point and Gill to start at 4

Ferry has never hid the fact that he thinks Gill has the potential to be a dominant player.

10/31/2014 6:50 am  #3

http://blogs.post-gazette.com:8080/sports/2013-06-20-18-53-28/dukes-dispatches/42796-duquesne-brings-revamped-roster-into-jim-ferry-s-third-season-on-the-bluff

http://triblive.com/sports/college/duquesne/7047901-74/colter-ferry-season?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+alltribstories+(TribLIVE+News)

Some take-aways:
1. Derrick Colter is still in remission. Please everyone, pray for the kid. He's too young to have cancer. My wife has battled cancer four times already but happily has been cancer-free for seven years. You never stop worrying. I wish him a long and happy life.

2. Ferry's obviously going to play his system, which is three guards (and, Jones), but his roster is really built more for a more traditional rotation. I'd rather see Robinson-McKoy-Gill start than any combination with Jones.

3. Starting Mason at the point, I hope, will help him get more shots, but this kid is unselfish and will look for an open man before shooting. That will be the biggest difference from Colter the past two seasons. Colter is a shoot-first point guard, which wouldn't be bad if he were as accurate as Mason. But he's started too many games 0-7 or 1-10, and that puts you in too much of an early hole.

4. Again, we start a season with players suspended. It's an annual thing now. Granted, we should have enough talent to get past Bluebonnet Margarine, but we only have 11 scholarship players this year and the best chance for newcomers and bench guys to play is early, so why do we have guys doing stupid crap every year to start the season? Makes no sense.

5. I'm perplexed if Robinson is such a stud why he hasn't taken a starting spot. And I wouldn't leave McKoy on the bench. Guy rebounds, plays defense, does all the little stuff. But I am excited to hear about Gill.

6. Nothing about Ridenour? He's a guy for whom I have high hopes. 

10/31/2014 7:27 am  #4

ElDuque wrote:

http://blogs.post-gazette.com:8080/sports/2013-06-20-18-53-28/dukes-dispatches/42796-duquesne-brings-revamped-roster-into-jim-ferry-s-third-season-on-the-bluff

http://triblive.com/sports/college/duquesne/7047901-74/colter-ferry-season?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+alltribstories+(TribLIVE+News)

Some take-aways:
1. Derrick Colter is still in remission. Please everyone, pray for the kid. He's too young to have cancer. My wife has battled cancer four times already but happily has been cancer-free for seven years. You never stop worrying. I wish him a long and happy life.

2. Ferry's obviously going to play his system, which is three guards (and, Jones), but his roster is really built more for a more traditional rotation. I'd rather see Robinson-McKoy-Gill start than any combination with Jones.

3. Starting Mason at the point, I hope, will help him get more shots, but this kid is unselfish and will look for an open man before shooting. That will be the biggest difference from Colter the past two seasons. Colter is a shoot-first point guard, which wouldn't be bad if he were as accurate as Mason. But he's started too many games 0-7 or 1-10, and that puts you in too much of an early hole.

4. Again, we start a season with players suspended. It's an annual thing now. Granted, we should have enough talent to get past Bluebonnet Margarine, but we only have 11 scholarship players this year and the best chance for newcomers and bench guys to play is early, so why do we have guys doing stupid crap every year to start the season? Makes no sense.

5. I'm perplexed if Robinson is such a stud why he hasn't taken a starting spot. And I wouldn't leave McKoy on the bench. Guy rebounds, plays defense, does all the little stuff. But I am excited to hear about Gill.

6. Nothing about Ridenour? He's a guy for whom I have high hopes. 

He didn't mention any reserves, so I guess playing time is up for grabs. Being that Ferry is likely to rotate players frequently, I don't think who starts is all that important.

11/01/2014 8:27 am  #5

Media Day video

11/01/2014 10:44 am  #6

Thanks CLK.

11/01/2014 11:08 am  #7

WashPaRick wrote:

Thanks CLK.

Welcome my friend.  I thought this was a good candid interview by Coach Ferry.  I was also very impressed by how articulate our players are.  Unlike other schools I see down here in SEC country I believe our guys are true student athletes.  No matter my views on the AD, the coaches and players are working hard and deserve our support,  Go Dukes!

11/01/2014 11:58 am  #8

Excited to start the season. Can tell the guys have a little chip on their shoulders over public perception. The important thing is doing what the coaches want and playing within their system, even though the temptation is to try to take over a game with individual talent.

11/11/2014 8:55 pm  #9

I really hope this year, this coach can show why we have endured so much loosing to get to the, so call,next level. Really, most people in control of this blob thought the last coach was inadaquate because he was just winning? Now what are we hopeing for after all these years with a new coach????  Maybe an other loosing season??  Most likely.Sorry, but just watched the last game. Good luck. Next level?

Board footera