Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/01/2014 8:25 pm  #1

Scrimmage - Dukes vs. Towson

I understand that the Dukes participated in a "secret" scrimmage with Towson today in Baltimore.  Can anyone confirm and provide any insights?  I have seen some reports from other scrimmages across the country; it appears less restrictive in the past regarding teams releasing info on these.

11/01/2014 8:33 pm  #2

Re: Scrimmage - Dukes vs. Towson

These are supposed to take place with no fans, no press. Only the teams. No stats being recorded.

Unless someone like Grammudder or Mr. Brightsides can give us the inside dope, you're not likely to hear anything.

11/02/2014 8:28 am  #3

ED, I saw this tweet from Jeff Goodman of ESPN yesterday and his subsequent reporting of other secret scrimmages.
@GoodmanESPN: I am told the sports information directors and coaches ARE allowed to provide info on the secret scrimmages. Not quite so secret any more.

That prompted my question.

Last edited by PhoenixRising2 (11/02/2014 8:28 am)

11/03/2014 12:52 pm  #4

Hmmm. Good catch Phoenix. Maybe Steve Nesbitt will get the scoop.

11/03/2014 5:03 pm  #5

Poster on Towson board says apparently they won by one in a 5 quarter game. He said their Pgs turned it over too much and rebounding was a problem. No mention of any Duquesne players or how we played.

11/03/2014 10:50 pm  #6

As it turns out, I do have a source at Towson.  However, mum is the word as to what transpired Saturday.  No one from the Towson athletic department staff was there on Saturday except the coaches and managers and obviously the players.  If it is true as reported by Wash PA Rick that the scrimmage was a one-point game, then that is probably a plus.  Towson, based on last year's record, has a 120 rating and we have a 147 rating per Ken Pomeroy.  Lest anyone forget the coach at Towson is Pat Skerry formerly of Jamie Dixon's staff at Pitt.  They were in the hunt for our #1 recruit Nkaye Sanders!!  Last year's graduation class had two NBA signees even though they didn't make final roster cuts.  Both are now in the D-league. This year's incoming class had four pretty highly rated Freshmen signees plus a grad 5th year guy from Dayton (Gladovic???)  They have 4 players who are 6'8" or better and all are upper classmen (Juniors and Seniors)  They are projected to finish 7th in the AAC.

11/03/2014 11:37 pm  #7

grammudder wrote:

As it turns out, I do have a source at Towson.  However, mum is the word as to what transpired Saturday.  No one from the Towson athletic department staff was there on Saturday except the coaches and managers and obviously the players.  If it is true as reported by Wash PA Rick that the scrimmage was a one-point game, then that is probably a plus.  Towson, based on last year's record, has a 120 rating and we have a 147 rating per Ken Pomeroy.  Lest anyone forget the coach at Towson is Pat Skerry formerly of Jamie Dixon's staff at Pitt.  They were in the hunt for our #1 recruit Nkaye Sanders!!  Last year's graduation class had two NBA signees even though they didn't make final roster cuts.  Both are now in the D-league. This year's incoming class had four pretty highly rated Freshmen signees plus a grad 5th year guy from Dayton (Gladovic???)  They have 4 players who are 6'8" or
better and all are upper classmen (Juniors and Seniors)  They are projected to finish 7th in the AAC.

Towson is a member of The Colonial Athletic Conference. 

11/04/2014 3:04 pm  #8

Skerry turned that program around, literally, in 10 minutes. 

11/02/2015 6:48 pm  #9

The Dukes will be playing Towson again this year in a "secret" scrimmage; this time at the AJ Palumbo Center on Saturday November 7th. This may help give us a point of reference on the current state of the Dukes when facing another D-1 school from the CAA.

Last year, Towson was predicted to finish 7th in the Colonial Athletic Association (CAA), actually finished 9th out of 10 teams and finished 12-20.  It was reported that the Dukes and Tigers played fairly evenly during this secret scrimmage.  Looking back, it should not have been a big surprise that last year's Dukes were not ready for prime time in the early season.

So, this year... Towson again is predicted to finish 7th in the CAA; this despite losing only three players from last season's squad. Forwards Alex Gavrilovic (5.4 ppg) and Jamel Flash (0.6 ppg) graduated and Four McGlynn (12.0 ppg) transferred.  2 seniors and 4 juniors on roster. They have a preseason CAA second team 6-5 forward, John Davis, and a CAA honorable mention 6-6 transfer from Wake Forest, Arnaud William Adala Moto.  For what it's worth, Pomeroy has them at a preseason #193 vs. the Dukes at #129.

Hopefully we can get some reports on the outcome of this year's scrimmage.  It may again give us some indication of the Dukes' progress.

11/08/2015 6:51 am  #10

I'm told that the Dukes won by 18.

11/08/2015 8:19 am  #11

levon1975 wrote:

I'm told that the Dukes won by 18.

Can't read too much into a scrimmage you didn't see, but that is about what you'd expect the margin to be for a mid level A10 team playing at home vs a lower level team from the CAA. No cause for celebration, but no red flag either. We have to smack teams of that caliber if we hope to take the step forward.

11/09/2015 1:56 pm  #12

Levon1975 had it first.

@CraigMeyerPG: Heard Duquesne won its scrimmage last Saturday vs Towson by 18. Scored 84 points and held Towson to below 40 percent shooting.

If so, good first step for the Dukes.
Agreed, duq81 - about what should be expected.  Let's see if they can continue to build from this.

Board footera