Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/07/2014 2:26 pm  #1

11/07/2014 4:28 pm  #2

Re: Anyone going?

I'll be there after a stop at Alexion's for a fish sandwich.

11/07/2014 4:48 pm  #3

Represent, my friend.

11/07/2014 4:48 pm  #4

Gettting ready to head in. Parking might be tougher to find with the circus at Consol. Looking for 110 points with 8 in double figures.

11/07/2014 9:50 pm  #5

my two cents:
if we shouldnt get too excited when we beat a team like this by 50, then we shouldnt get too discouraged if we only win by 3. hopefully this a valuable learning experience and they can learn alot from it.
tip of the cap to shippensburg, those kids played with heart. think " a 16 vs a 1" in the tourney...

maybe our cupcake schedule isnt so easy afterall..

offensively-- way out of sync, rusty, and unprepared. way too many first look 3s. offense really needs to run thru the post first.
Defense--same old story. leaving guys wide open for uncontested looks. not sure if guys arent rotating or a lack of communication. we made shippensburgs guards look like micah mason. need to be more physically dominant.
to sum it up--Sloppy!

when you are that much more athletically gifted and physically stronger, they should have dominated a little more than they did

individually-
LG Gill-- gotta love what you see from this kid. Cant expect him to put up those numbers every night, but hopefully he can be a consistant scorer. say 12-16/night as opposed to 23 one game, and 4 the next.
Micah--off nite by his standards, which is still a career night for others. not sure if it makes a difference with him running the point if james, jones, or colter jack up a three as soon as they touch the ball.
Colter--(this is for you el duque, feel free to cut copy and paste into every game thread)- "still takes way too many threes!"  in fairness to him, he did play a very solid game and had a lot of the George von benko hustle stats that dont show up in box score
mckoy--didnt start. the guys motor runs 100% of the time. he needs to play way more than he did. i dont think it matters who starts,but they are really gonna need his motor down the stretch of these close games. its a mystery to me as to how they used him.
Robinson- has potential, to expect 12/8 out of him as a freshman in the a10 is absolutely absurd(and i hope im wrong). No disrespect to him. first off, someone actually has to throw him the ball in order to shoot. he works very hard to get open and he fights for position. still needs to gain alot of upper body and core strength to bang inside with his a10 brethern. has a nice touch from FT line too.

will be intersted to see how stevens and powell change the sub pattern.

11/07/2014 10:20 pm  #6

.Not what I was expecting. Don.t know what the shooting % was but it sure seemed like we missed a ton of shots.  We may be a little taller this year but we didn't play any taller tonight. I'd rather see McKoy start and play around 30 minutes. Gill looks a lot more confident. Got a week to regroup and hopefully look a lot better next Saturday.

11/08/2014 8:28 am  #7

Let's not kid ourselves this was a pathetic performance against a bad D2 school.  The center for Shippensburg had more rebounds than Lewis, Robinson and McKoy combined. As a team the Dukes were out rebounded 47-43, and only shot 33% on the night (24-73) and a diismal 55% from the FT line.  The Dukes shot 37 three point shots. Where was the new power inside game that Ferry was talking about?  Speaking of Coach Ferry he continues to amaze me how he fails to coach through runs.  Ship goes on a 14-0 run and no time out to stop the run.  After all the hype about this team this summer, last night was was a dissapointment to say the least.  Grab a Snickers it is going to be a long horrible season if there is not a major turn around in this team from last night.  Hopefully there wiil be.

http://www.goduquesne.com/sports/m-baskbl/recaps/110714aaa.html

By the way Pitt also had a slow start last night to beat D-2 Philadelphia 82-71. 

Last edited by CLK (11/08/2014 8:55 am)

11/08/2014 9:26 am  #8

my two cents:
if we shouldnt get too excited when we beat a team like this by 50, then we shouldnt get too discouraged if we only win by 3. hopefully this a valuable learning experience and they can learn alot from it.
tip of the cap to shippensburg, those kids played with heart. think " a 16 vs a 1" in the tourney...

maybe our cupcake schedule isnt so easy afterall..

offensively-- way out of sync, rusty, and unprepared. way too many first look 3s. offense really needs to run thru the post first.
Defense--same old story. leaving guys wide open for uncontested looks. not sure if guys arent rotating or a lack of communication. we made shippensburgs guards look like micah mason. need to be more physically dominant.
to sum it up--Sloppy!

when you are that much more athletically gifted and physically stronger, they should have dominated a little more than they did

individually-
LG Gill-- gotta love what you see from this kid. Cant expect him to put up those numbers every night, but hopefully he can be a consistant scorer. say 12-16/night as opposed to 23 one game, and 4 the next.
Micah--off nite by his standards, which is still a career night for others. not sure if it makes a difference with him running the point if james, jones, or colter jack up a three as soon as they touch the ball.
Colter--(this is for you el duque, feel free to cut copy and paste into every game thread)- "still takes way too many threes!"  in fairness to him, he did play a very solid game and had a lot of the George von benko hustle stats that dont show up in box score
mckoy--didnt start. the guys motor runs 100% of the time. he needs to play way more than he did. i dont think it matters who starts,but they are really gonna need his motor down the stretch of these close games. its a mystery to me as to how they used him.
Robinson- has potential, to expect 12/8 out of him as a freshman in the a10 is absolutely absurd(and i hope im wrong). No disrespect to him. first off, someone actually has to throw him the ball in order to shoot. he works very hard to get open and he fights for position. still needs to gain alot of upper body and core strength to bang inside with his a10 brethern. has a nice touch from FT line too.

will be intersted to see how stevens and powell change the sub pattern.

Very valid assessment by Heels!  I would not be so harsh as to the assessment of Jordan Robinson's play for two reasons.  First, the kid has played zero game competition in two years.  Practice is one thing, game play is another. Second, he was guarding a 6'10" 260 lb. fifth year senior who is pre-season first team in the PSAC.  He'll be fine.  He does too many little things well to get discouraged about him.  Yeah, there were some negatives. (1) Like we got outrebounded by 4 for one good reason--we missed on 45 shots we took out of 72.  (2) Like our starting guards had a 5 to 1 assist to t/o ratio.  (3) Like everyone 6'7" and under was launching 3 pointers from Forbes Avenue.  (4) Like you gaotta feel good about the fact that four guys 6'7" to 6"11 inches on our team did not play like stiffs of yore.  At the end of the day, one had to admire the team's execution on the four or five runs the Dukes had.  Give credit where it is due;  Shippensburg, no matter what happend last year, had no intention of laying down.  They hustled for 40 minutes.

Last edited by grammudder (11/08/2014 9:28 am)

11/08/2014 9:27 am  #9

I'm sure there will be Ebbs and Flows as the season goes on - and while we can't expect games like that from Gill every night - perhaps it can be offset somewhat by much better performances from James and McCoy (among others)  Don't have any idea of what to expect from the two who were sitting out the one game.  DO HAVE A LONG WAY TO GO!!!!  Bottom line -  it's not just that Shippensburg was a Div 2 team THEY WERE 3-22 ON THAT LEVEL.  The team from Philly that Pitt played was much higher ranked (and Jamie wasn't too pleased with THEIR performance)

11/08/2014 9:29 am  #10

I guess the word of the day for me is "disappointed." I listened to the Ferry and player interviews and thought we had something this year. All the talk about ball movement, giving Mason the opportunity to make more decisions with the offense, the focus on winning the A-10. Then we go on the court against a team we should have our way with, and look like the same squad that got pushed around for most of last year, minus Ovie Soko. Maybe worse. Derrick and Jeremiah have got, got, got to learn that they are not shooters, and that they should not be hoisting double digit shots. They will kill this team if they keep playing that way. I agree, McKoy needs to start, and at the 4. Guy I would sit is Jones, I still haven't bought into his game. I would give Ridenour and maybe Stevens more of Derrick's minutes. Sorry, but we keep hearing that DC is one of the guys who "gets" the Ferry system, so it means either Jimmy is too kind for the kid's own good or his system sucks. I'll give Ferry a pass on the way he coached last night, because he was shuttling players and trying combinations. My bottom line is that if we play this way the rest of the year we'll lose to NJIT at home, give up 120 to Pitt, and lose 18 A-10 games. Next time we walk on the court we need to look like the team we heard about in the presser, not the one that took the court last night.

11/11/2014 8:50 am  #11

i dont think I was being harsh on Jordan, as I think I was being realistic. I dont think its not fair for a sportswriter to label a kid who hasnt played in a year as a 12/8 guy his freshman season in a confernce as good as the a10....andrew nicholson was a 12/6 guy his freshman year. and the professor is making a nice chunk of chedder in the show right now.
as mentioned, I was pretty impressed with his soft touch, esp at FT line, and I really like his work ethic.
His motor runs just like McKoys. I really liked the way he was banging bodies and calling for the ball.(and hopefully the guards decide to give him the ball too)
He is just gonna need experience and time in the weightroom.
he could be one of the best by the time he leaves the bluff!
12/8 will def be in the cards for his soph/jr season!

i too would go with a lineup of DC, Micah, LG, domo, and JR.
i think thats your 5 best players plus I think it would create alot of matchup problems for other teams.

before we all get too discouraged, we need to wait and see what tysean and stevens bring to the team too. 

finally, its a very long season!
alot can happen between now and march 7.

Last edited by heelsdukesfan (11/11/2014 8:51 am)

11/11/2014 10:56 am  #12

If Robinson needs time in the weight room, that's disappointing. He had a full season to put in the time. Gill apparently hit the weights in the offseason and it paid off for him. It goes back to the adage that you get our of something what you put into it. You can't chirp about championship aspirations if you put last-place effort into what you do. Enough talk, there's been too much of it, and the results on the court have been disappointing. Start showing something on the court, and I don't mean 40 three point shots brick-by-brick.

11/11/2014 1:37 pm  #13

fwiw el duque, it does look like jordan spent the past year getting into shape. he does look more fit and trim. he does seem like the type of kid that will put forth the effort!
what id want to see over the next year is for him to put on about 15lbs of hulking muscle...hard for a kid to do during the season, but over the next off season, i would look for him to come back ripped!

lg does look like he spent time in weight room. another one that is deceivingly more muscular is micah. looks like he spent some time with the weights too

11/11/2014 2:13 pm  #14

Gotcha. Still ...

Board footera