Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/03/2014 5:39 pm  #1

City Game

Game on ESPN3

[img]http://www.nasljerseys.com/ABA/Images/Bucks/Bucks%2070's%20Head%20Mickey%20Davis.jpg[/img]

Last edited by CLK (12/03/2014 5:48 pm)

12/03/2014 6:51 pm  #2

Re: City Game

Bottom pic is senior class from my graduation year. John Moore got hurt, Pat Felix and John Thomas left the team mid-year over PT.

12/03/2014 7:00 pm  #3

When we signed him One of the "recruiting services" had John Thomas - MORE HIGHLY RATED than Daryl Dawkins who was a senior that year as well and went straight to the 76'ers in the NBA Draft!!  Oh for the Good Ole' Days

Thomas  was from Wilbur Cross High School in Connecticut -  we also got a Decent Player from them around the same time in Roland Jones -  we were in the running for another one - think his name was Bruce Campbell who wound up at Providence.

12/03/2014 7:08 pm  #4

SkepticAl wrote:

When we signed him One of the "recruiting services" had John Thomas - MORE HIGHLY RATED than Daryl Dawkins who was a senior that year as well and went straight to the 76'ers in the NBA Draft!!  Oh for the Good Ole' Days

Thomas  was from Wilbur Cross High School in Connecticut -  we also got a Decent Player from them around the same time in Roland Jones -  we were in the running for another one - think his name was Bruce Campbell who wound up at Providence.

Jones was a good bit before JT. Pretty sure he was a Manning recruit. JT had loads of natural ability, but those teams were so guard oriented. A point guard led us in scoring 5 straight years. Not really a formula for success. We only had one winning season during the time that Nixon was here, and that was only a 14-11 record.

12/03/2014 7:51 pm  #5

Roland Jones was in the class of 1975 and John Thomas was in the class of 1980.  I have some very fond memories of JT.  A few stories that will not be told in public.

12/03/2014 10:01 pm  #6

VBC wrote:

Roland Jones was in the class of 1975 and John Thomas was in the class of 1980.  I have some very fond memories of JT.  A few stories that will not be told in public.

I knew JT as well. Tragic how he died so young.

12/04/2014 9:50 am  #7

I was devastated when JT died, especially because in a short time span several other classmates passed away. I didn't know the guys as well asyou (VBC and 81) but certainly talked to them on an almost daily basis during the season. JT, you could see, was a really gifted basketball player. That he never reached his potential at DU was always puzzling to me, although as 81 said, we were a guard-oriented team and guys like BB, Silk (Ronnie Dixon) and even Jeff Baldwin were not shy about bombing away. Silk once told me that he loved having the ball in his hands and loved shooting it. 

Bringing Atkins and Arnold into the program evend out the ball distribution a little, but only later on. Of course, the A-Team also took minutes away from JT. Pat Felix, who was very strong but an oddly sized 6-5 forward, didn't play much, but had a nice following in the stands.

Jeff Baldwin was a nice player. He could shoot a little, pass a little, he was strong and he created matchup problems for smaller guards but was a matchup problem for us against quicker guards. He and Silk were a good 1-2 punch at the off-guard.

John Moore was my favorite player. Man, I wish he had been 5 inches taller, we would have played in the NBA. At 6-6, he played a traditional post-position center. He matched up against some of the best big men in the nation (Gminski, Bailey, Cureton) and usually gave up 5-6 inches in size, but he gave up nothing in heart or toughness.

BB was BB. Need I say more?

And Fred Moon, what can I say? Came out of left field after sitting out a couple seasons for injuries to replace Moore as the starting center, and all he did was set a school record for FG percentage and lead the team in rebounding most of the year. Unfortunately he seemed to run out of gas as the year wore on.

So, yeah, got some good memories out of senior year because we went to the NIT, beat Pitt in the NIT, and were a game from playing UNLV at UNLV (Red would have let me fly with the team to cover the game), and thanks for sharing the picture, CLK!

12/04/2014 10:28 am  #8

While it's fun to reminisce about the distant past when Pitt was routinely the underdog, what are our chances of playing a competitive game this year? Pitt seems to be down and we seem to have better talent than in the past, but are playing inconsistently. In 2011, we lost by 11; in 12 it was by 21 and last year by 17. Can we at least play them close? Can we actually win?

12/04/2014 11:04 am  #9

CAN we win?  Of course.  But I believe in the "On any Given Day" mantra and we could have won in previous years if Pitt played terrible.  Now, here is the rub...We have to get to the point where we can win because we are good, not because the other team is bad.  Pitt has been playing a bad game, then coming back and playing a good game in the last so many.  So, they are ticked over their loss the other night and because of how they have bounced back, it will be difficult.  But yes, we can win.  I think we will be competitive but to me just being competitive isn't good enough.

12/04/2014 12:03 pm  #10

Although Lowell just beat NJIT I believe Duquesne can beat Pitt. Last St.Louis year before Temple both road wins. The crowd will be 90-95% Pitt but that can be an advantage if the Dukes jump up early.

12/04/2014 2:57 pm  #11

At the beginning of the season I set out a long list of "Must haves" if the Dukes were going to have a good season. One of the top priorities was the development of Jordan Robinson, which, well, has so far been a bigger flop than Beta Max, 8 Tracks, and Tim Tebow. We've also experienced discipline problems, a lack of defense, and inconsistent play from everyone. Given this, do I think we can beat Pitt?

No.

12/04/2014 3:23 pm  #12

I actually thought 8 track tapes were going to last!  Now a "can" is not the same as a "will" so I will go with a "can" but a 25% can, and a 75% won't.

12/04/2014 6:20 pm  #13

Ironduke1981 wrote:

Although Lowell just beat NJIT I believe Duquesne can beat Pitt. Last St.Louis year before Temple both road wins. The crowd will be 90-95% Pitt but that can be an advantage if the Dukes jump up early.

I've attended every Duquesne-Pitt game held at the Civic Arena (after Mellon's name was removed) and at the Consol  Energy Center since the game was labeled the "City Game."   I can say without fear of contradiction that the crowd was never 90-95% for Pitt at any of those games.  I do not believe that any City Game game will reflect that lopsided fan base for Pitt, including tomorrow's game.  Don't underestimate the Pitt haters who would delight in Pitt's loss even if they were playing the North Korean national team.  If you attend tommorow's game and somehow think that 90-95% of the fans are rooting for Pitt, you might want to consider getting an exam by an audiologist.

Somehow I've got a good feeling about the Dukes' chances.  I'm looking forward to a Dukes' win on Friday and on Sunday afternoon (women's team) as well.  Sagarin makes Pitt's men's team a 10 point favorite and has the game between the women's teams as even. 

GO DUKES!  

12/05/2014 6:17 am  #14

FAM wrote:

I actually thought 8 track tapes were going to last!  Now a "can" is not the same as a "will" so I will go with a "can" but a 25% can, and a 75% won't.

I'll grade myself as 99% want and 1% hope. Would be thrilled with a win, and likely very obnoxious to Pitt fans for some time.

Indeed.

12/05/2014 8:04 am  #15

The debate over the fan percentage should play out like this: If you are over 50, there is a good chance you  are a Dukes fan. If you are under 50, Pitt. 

Oh, and Pitt by 18.

12/05/2014 9:07 am  #16

godukes1970 wrote:

Ironduke1981 wrote:

I've attended every Duquesne-Pitt game held at the Civic Arena (after Mellon's name was removed) and at the Consol  Energy Center since the game was labeled the "City Game."   I can say without fear of contradiction that the crowd was never 90-95% for Pitt at any of those games.  I do not believe that any City Game game will reflect that lopsided fan base for Pitt, including tomorrow's game.  Don't underestimate the Pitt haters who would delight in Pitt's loss even if they were playing the North Korean national team.  If you attend tommorow's game and somehow think that 90-95% of the fans are rooting for Pitt, you might want to consider getting an exam by an audiologist.

Somehow I've got a good feeling about the Dukes' chances.  I'm looking forward to a Dukes' win on Friday and on Sunday afternoon (women's team) as well.  Sagarin makes Pitt's men's team a 10 point favorite and has the game between the women's teams as even. 

GO DUKES!  

I believe this is a game in which thePitt athletic dept forced it's season ticket holders to purchase this game in their package.what 12,000 season ticket holders even if 8000 attend how many Duquesne fans surely not more then 500-1000. The days of a rivalry are unfortunately over no 50-50 split as to the fan base. Unless Duquesne fan base substantially increases which it will not under the current AD the city game will be a home game forever. Just the very sad facts. cheer loud my friend. Big game!

12/05/2014 11:25 am  #17

You are correct that Pitt included this game in their season ticket package.  Who knows how many will show

12/05/2014 11:42 am  #18

Ironduke1981 wrote:

godukes1970 wrote:

Ironduke1981 wrote:

GO DUKES!  

I believe this is a game in which thePitt athletic dept forced it's season ticket holders to purchase this game in their package.what 12,000 season ticket holders even if 8000 attend how many Duquesne fans surely not more then 500-1000. The days of a rivalry are unfortunately over no 50-50 split as to the fan base. Unless Duquesne fan base substantially increases which it will not under the current AD the city game will be a home game forever. Just the very sad facts. cheer loud my friend. Big game!

There will be more Dukes fans than that. I'm thinking about 2,000. Keep in mind that there are fans who only come out for big games. These folks will never come out for Howard, but provided our record is decent at the time, they will come to see us play VCU. Of course a percentage of those will be people who are primarily Pitt fans, but will come and root for Duquesne when they have a decent team, and are playing a well known opponent.

12/05/2014 12:27 pm  #19

Here's a groundbreaking thought:  how about the season ticket holders show for almost all the homes games?!  Since I graduated in 2008 i guarantee I've been to more home games than 90% of those blue seat people.  Who cares if you buy the package every year and can say u are season ticket holder. It's embarrassing. Just show up to the home games it's that simple!I always Complain to wife because I don't even need to use my pharmacy degree to know that most of these are fair weather fans. I'm a huge Broncos fan since about 1995. I've endured great and horrific years. Thats what fans and alum are supposed to do. Go dukes!

12/05/2014 12:54 pm  #20

Hi lilpav,
I am one of those season tix holders and I don't go to every game.  Now, the games I don't go to are NJIT and Howard, and when we play Divison III teams, etc.  Not defensive at all but I spend my $$ and whether I go to all or not, usually depends on who they play.  Think of it this way, if Duquesne didn't play so many of those schools, more folks would come no matter what color their seat is.  In fact, if Duquesne would win even more folks would buy season tickets.  Glad you attend all of the games.  So you know, I sat in the stands many years through the Nee era when I could have a conversation with someone on the other side of Palumbo without shouting!!!  LOL

12/05/2014 1:25 pm  #21

I hear ya.   We will win on a last second 3 by Mason tonight!

12/05/2014 4:56 pm  #22

Mason would have to bring the ball up court and not pass it in order for that to happen. We have some happy shooters on this team. I say that with affection. But actually, it would be nice for Ferry to draw somthing up and for us to learn afterwards that it was executed (aside from "You rush the ball upcourt and look to see who's open).

12/05/2014 5:05 pm  #23

lilpav30 wrote:

I hear ya. We will win on a last second 3 by Mason tonight!

My prediction is that it will be Pitt making the last second three.

To make it a little closer as the Dukes win 101-92.

Time to head for out for dinner and the game.

12/05/2014 7:24 pm  #24

Cold from 3, and getting outrebounded. Not a recipe for success so far.

12/05/2014 7:39 pm  #25

Our offense is so damn bad.  We just stand around staring at one another.  Our defense is even worse.

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

Board footera