Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/07/2014 4:27 pm  #1

DU women 87 Pitt Women 77

Just got home from the game.  Dan Burt is a coach.  Juco Workman is a player. 

Take that SMS.   Really happy about this win

12/07/2014 4:34 pm  #2

Re: DU women 87 Pitt Women 77

Congrats to the ladies and the coach!!!!

12/07/2014 4:34 pm  #3

You beat me to it, duqkurt. I just got back myself. Really happy, too. I was in the front row behind the bench. Burt really kept after the team to keep playing hard, attacking, rebounding, boxing out, & taking charges. Noticed that Ferry watched the 1st half. Hope he took good notes!

Last edited by Officer Dribble (12/07/2014 4:35 pm)

12/07/2014 4:37 pm  #4

Officer Dribble wrote:

You beat me to it, duqkurt. I just got back myself. Really happy, too. I was in the front row behind the bench. Burt really kept after the team to keep playing hard, attacking, rebounding, boxing out, & taking charges. Noticed that Ferry watched the 1st half. Hope he took good notes!

It was just a great game.  So impressed with the way this team has rebounded after starting 0-3.

Last edited by duqkurt (12/07/2014 4:37 pm)

12/07/2014 4:43 pm  #5

They started out with 3 very difficult games. Seems to have paid off in terms of letting the team know how they have to play to compete.

Folks, the women's team is at WVU this Wed. & you can catch it on Root Sports!

12/07/2014 4:45 pm  #6

I'm impressed with what he has done with Jose Anne Johnson.  After 3 years of not much of a contribution he has her giving great minutes.  Like the job he did with Raegan Moore last year.

12/07/2014 5:01 pm  #7

I agree. Both Johnson & Amadea have given us a nice front court attack. Looked like we might have to have a guard-oriented attack this year, but it's panned out that we have both.

12/07/2014 6:27 pm  #8

i will be the first to admit i have no interest in womens hoops, but its great to hear they won. judging by this board and the other board, looks like they continue to improve and the coach is doing a great job...thats pretty awesome..

plus, its always a good day when you can rub it in on a mcconnell!!!!!!!!!

12/07/2014 7:54 pm  #9

Officer Dribble wrote:

They started out with 3 very difficult games. Seems to have paid off in terms of letting the team know how they have to play to compete.

Folks, the women's team is at WVU this Wed. & you can catch it on Root Sports!

Duquesne on all night Wednesday. Penn St. game on the Big 10 channel at 9.

12/07/2014 8:29 pm  #10

Great win! Happy for the women's team. I have liked Dan Burt since I first heard him on video. I wish him nothing but success.

12/08/2014 12:06 am  #11

Great win, especially against Pitt and McConnell.Unlike last year,this team looks like a team ,has heart,
the idea that the program would collapse once SuzieQ  left looks to be  incorrect.
 The players  post game interview was fantastic,  I could feel their joyfulness and satisfaction and  see the smiles.made me happy for them.

12/08/2014 7:00 pm  #12

heelsdukesfan wrote:

i will be the first to admit i have no interest in womens hoops,

There was a time when I felt the same way, but now I can't believe every basketball fan isn't into it.  When my kids were small, I was always taking my daughter & my 2 boys to see the Dukes.  One day during a time-out, they announced that the Lady Dukes (as they were then known) had just 2 home games left in the season. My daughter asked me why we never went to see the ladies.  So we went to the next-to-last ladies' game of the season.  At one point I took my boys to the men's room & when I returned, my daughter was at the scorer's table, where she emerged with Coach Durkin's phone number & a gig to serve as ball girl at the next home game (which turned out to be Korie Hlede's last home game).  I was skeptical that the head coach would be involved in something so innocuous, but I called the number.  He & his assistants couldn't have been nicer & they had created fans for life.

For years afterward, my wife & daughter would insist that the women's game was better than the men's game.  I would tell them that while I enjoyed both, they had to be crazy to think that.  These past couple years or so, I'm starting to see it their way.  I feel like ESPN has ruined the men's game, probably forever, by giving big TV deals to certain big conferences, turning them into brand names.  Today the hotshot high school players talk about wanting to play in the ACC or the Big East (when it existed) or they might mention Duke, Kansas, or Kentucky.  They wanna be on TV every time they play.  John Chaney once said that Dick Vitale couldn't say 15 words without saying "Duke."  If Dick Vitale says that's the place to play, that's what the kids believe.  Duquesne has no chance at recruting that caliber of player. If SIhugo Green or Dick Ricketts were around today, they'd never come here.  The women's game is a different story.  The girls care a lot more about their education & for the most part want a good college. As a result, Duquesne has a fighting chance at some good women's players.  Wumi Agunbiade, for example, chose Duquesne over Michigan.  When was the last time a male player picked Duquesne over Michigan?  This is why today I recommend the women's game to anybody who likes basketball.  For me, it's more of a "college" sport.

12/09/2014 5:38 am  #13

Officer Dribble:  Eric Evans picked DU over Michigan (and Michigan recruited him for FOOTBALL!!)  John Wooden would probably agree with you in that it is more enjoyable to watch the Ladies today - the guys for the most part play "above the rim"  the ladies play "more basketball" -  I go to one or two ladies games per year -  In the old days there were a zillion jump balls which slowed down the game to much -  now the players are so much more athletic.  I believe the Ladies have a much better chance of going to the NCAA at some point than the guys do -  even with Suzie at Pitt - you could probably put together a really solid hoops team strictly recruiting the Western PA area -  as far as the guys go even Bobby Mo for the most part recruits OUTSIDE Western PA>

12/09/2014 4:33 pm  #14

Officer Dribble wrote:

heelsdukesfan wrote:

i will be the first to admit i have no interest in womens hoops,

There was a time when I felt the same way, but now I can't believe every basketball fan isn't into it.  When my kids were small, I was always taking my daughter & my 2 boys to see the Dukes.  One day during a time-out, they announced that the Lady Dukes (as they were then known) had just 2 home games left in the season. My daughter asked me why we never went to see the ladies.  So we went to the next-to-last ladies' game of the season.  At one point I took my boys to the men's room & when I returned, my daughter was at the scorer's table, where she emerged with Coach Durkin's phone number & a gig to serve as ball girl at the next home game (which turned out to be Korie Hlede's last home game).  I was skeptical that the head coach would be involved in something so innocuous, but I called the number.  He & his assistants couldn't have been nicer & they had created fans for life.

For years afterward, my wife & daughter would insist that the women's game was better than the men's game.  I would tell them that while I enjoyed both, they had to be crazy to think that.  These past couple years or so, I'm starting to see it their way.  I feel like ESPN has ruined the men's game, probably forever, by giving big TV deals to certain big conferences, turning them into brand names.  Today the hotshot high school players talk about wanting to play in the ACC or the Big East (when it existed) or they might mention Duke, Kansas, or Kentucky.  They wanna be on TV every time they play.  John Chaney once said that Dick Vitale couldn't say 15 words without saying "Duke."  If Dick Vitale says that's the place to play, that's what the kids believe.  Duquesne has no chance at recruting that caliber of player. If SIhugo Green or Dick Ricketts were around today, they'd never come here.  The women's game is a different story.  The girls care a lot more about their education & for the most part want a good college. As a result, Duquesne has a fighting chance at some good women's players.  Wumi Agunbiade, for example, chose Duquesne over Michigan.  When was the last time a male player picked Duquesne over Michigan?  This is why today I recommend the women's game to anybody who likes basketball.  For me, it's more of a "college" sport.

You sold me. I gonna try and watch the ladies game wed night..go lady dukes!

12/09/2014 7:27 pm  #15

I had forgotten that about Evans! But I think everybody gets my point...

Heels, welcome to the fold. Gonna be tough for the girls to get a win at WVU but I think you'll agree that they're well coached & play exciting ball.

Board footera