Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/11/2014 10:55 pm  #1

Jordan Stevens #1

40.9%
This is the percentage of the team’s shots taken by Jordan Stevens when he is on the court.
He's number #1 in the country in this stat.
If he was making them, it would be a nice stat. But 7-17 vs. Penn State and 5-15 vs. ESP doesn't cut it.
As a comparison, Ovie Soko was at 27.8% last year, good for #202 in the country.
Sheesh!

12/12/2014 3:04 am  #2

Re: Jordan Stevens #1

Coulter was moved to the two guard position because he took too many shots, failed to make shots and failed to get assists. When Stevens is on the court, he plays the same way. The result is no change in the guard position when Stevens is playing. This is due in part to the fact that Mason does not penetrate and does not create his own shots. He takes the open shot, but is too slow to initiate plays.

12/12/2014 7:01 am  #3

pressurecooker wrote:

Coulter was moved to the two guard position because he took too many shots, failed to make shots and failed to get assists. When Stevens is on the court, he plays the same way. The result is no change in the guard position when Stevens is playing. This is due in part to the fact that Mason does not penetrate and does not create his own shots. He takes the open shot, but is too slow to initiate plays.

Ironically, Colter has been much more efficient this year.

12/12/2014 8:47 am  #4

Don't want to get too bogged down in stats, but take a look at Colter's last year:
- % of shots taken when on floor:  21.9%, 4th on the team (in a communist system, each player would be at 20%).
- Assist rate of 25.5%; 7th in the A-10 and #196 in the country

In my opinion, Colter was the victim of the "eyeball" test. I would see him throw up some really bad shots at the worst times; these would color my perception of his overall play. His play was actually pretty steady, and one would expect that improvement would come in his Jr./Sr. seasons.

12/12/2014 11:58 am  #5

Phoenix I have to disagree with you about DC. It was more than the eyeball test, although the eyeball test said a lot. How many games did he start last season putting us in a 10-0 deficit or worse because he was chucking long threes that were turning into fast break opportunities for the other team? This year, DC has not only played under control more, but you can see his shot selection improving AND his shooting percentages reflect that. He doesn't have a big-time "J," and when he goes to the hoop at 5-10 he's always in danger of getting a shot blocked, but when he does a better job of picking his spots he should be good for 8-10 points and a couple assists per game. Stevens is a chucker. He reminds me a little of some of our past chuckers, guys like Buzzy Forney and Kojo Mensah. When thise guys get rolling they can pile up some big points, but they can also have awful days. DC his first two seasons was also in that category. Big difference in his game this year, IMHO.

12/12/2014 12:23 pm  #6

My guess is that Ferry will give Mason a few more games to see if he can get it together, before he moves him back to the 2 spot. We can't win with Mason scoring 4-5 points, with a bunch of turnovers, and no assists.

12/12/2014 1:24 pm  #7

I was always dubious about Mason at the point. I just didn't see him as having the full skill set needed at the position. He's a shooter who has to get open and then set to take his shot. He's pretty good when that happens, but I don't think he has the quickness, driving and and passing skills or the spontaneity to be effective at the point. Don't know if I'm right - just my thoughts. I don't know why coach thought he might be the answer at the position.

12/12/2014 1:51 pm  #8

I was against it from the beginning, but not for the reason that has materialized. I figured Micah would bring the ball upcourt, pass, and never see the ball again. I really don't see him as a point guard.

12/12/2014 2:13 pm  #9

How does Mason not have the passing ability? Let's not forget he was one assist away from leading the COUNTRY in assist to turnover ratio last year. Everyone on here complained for 2 years that DC wasn't the answer as point guard. Now DC is leading the country in three point shooting and Mason has had two bad games, and now all of a sudden they should switch?

Who else is the point guard? Ridenour doesn't play because he is a bad decision maker. And Stevens obviously needs to do a much better job sharing the ball.

12/12/2014 3:06 pm  #10

Who said he can't pass? We're saying he doesn't look comfortable -- and the numbers seem to back that up. And PS, I'm not saying it "all of a sudden," I've been saying it since the notion was first mentioned.

12/12/2014 3:12 pm  #11

ED, I don't disagree with what you said about DC.  Maybe it's not the eyeball test, but a memory test.  Because I too remember the missed 3's to start a game, the drives that ended up with no place to go, a forced shot when we needed to run the offense, etc.  But when those things stick in your mind, it easy to overlook, like I did at times, the pretty solid play he was giving us for 20 minutes or so.  Last year's stats seem to bear this out to a degree.  And this year's eyeball test and stats bear out the improved play of DC, better shot selection, efficiency, etc.

12/12/2014 3:18 pm  #12

There is a big difference between creating/passing/shooting off of a dribble, vs. catching a pass and taking it from there.  I agree that Micah looks a lot less comfortable trying to do something off of the dribble.

12/13/2014 8:54 am  #13

Stevens reminds me of my old friend Gunwood Brick.  Whenever Gunwood got the ball within 30 feet of the basket it was best to get yourself into rebounding position because the ball was going up.  Maybe after a drive, or maybe after a long jumper, but it wasn't being passed.

Board footera