Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/13/2014 7:12 pm  #1

Survey

I want to ask an honest question.  Jim Ferry was hired to "take us to the next level".  Just winning and going to the NIT and CBI was not good enough. Amodio and Dougherty proclaimed that Ferry was the coach who would get us to the top of the league, compete for championships and go to the NCAA.  I am interested in hearing from all on this board if you see any tangible evidence to suggest that we are moving in the right direction and Ferry can accomplish this in the next two to three years?

12/13/2014 7:17 pm  #2

Re: Survey

None. Absolutely no evidence.  If you can't beat an NEC team without there best player after 3 years, you can't coach. 

This is terrible to say but I'm going to root against them for the remainder or the year.  We are committed to hosting A10 and NCAA in the future.  The only way this can turn around is for Amodio to be fired.

12/13/2014 7:21 pm  #3

Check this comment out from Ferry.

Last edited by CLK (12/13/2014 7:25 pm)

12/13/2014 7:32 pm  #4

It pains me to say this, but after the last few games I have to say "no."  I've seen some spark over the last few years. I was one of the few to find a silver lining in the Pitt loss last year. Remember, I only get to see about five games a year, where I live, unlike you seasonticket holders and the ones who get to see the games on local cable.  Last year I was impressed that we actually had some size and some degree of inside game against Pitt. It was nice seeing them be competitive until PItt's depth wore us out, as opposed to 90% of the recent Pitt games where their 7 footers just laugh at our 6' 6" power forwards.

1. Ferry is not a good "in game" coach and let's be honest, that can be the difference between 16 and 20 wins in a season, where your team is not Kentucky or Duke in terms of talent.  We need the coach who can win that game by drawing up the winning play in the last timeout, and he has not proven to be that.

2.  He makes poor personel decisions with the limited talent he does get.  In the spring of 13, all I heard on this board was "We got  ____ and _____" and then they almost never got to play and they transferred, all the while we saw Derek Coulter get 35 minutes a game, going 5 for 18 with 8 turnovers.  Ferry shows his players that apparently game performance has nothing to do with playing time.  Now, we don't watch practices, so we don't know what happens there, but still, to me the proof is in the lineups he runs out there.  Suck on the court and you still get the minutes!

I am just totally disgusted because now, it appears that no matter what happens, we are going to hit that 40 year streak in 17!  Ferry is obviously not going to get it done, and the next great rebuilding plan will be only geting started. We are not going to make the Big Dance before then, (Let's be honest, we will NEVER make the Tournament!) and that just breaks my heart!

I have nothing more.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

12/13/2014 8:49 pm  #5

Tejas_Duke wrote:

1. Ferry is not a good "in game" coach and let's be honest, that can be the difference between 16 and 20 wins in a season, where your team is not Kentucky or Duke in terms of talent.

We haven't had a decent, (not good, just decent), x and o's/in game guy, since Satalin, who couldn't recruit a lick. Every coach we've hired has proclaimed that we will play an uptempo style that will lead recruits, and fans to our door. Meanwhile, Pitt plays an ugly grind it out style that doesn't attract recruits, but wins at a high level. I'd love to get a guy who came in and said "we're going to play smart, and defend at a high level".

I think I'll go over to the Pitt football board, and basically read the same posts, just with different names attached. Of course football is the one sport where I don't mind seeing Pitt win, so I can't really enjoy the misery as much as I'd like to.

12/13/2014 9:14 pm  #6

CLK wrote:

Holy cow, I thought these were the Danny Nee quotes before the door hit him where the good Lord split him. Is Ferry saying he's lost this team? That scares the crap out of me. PS, how come these words only get spoken here? How do other coaches manage to figure kids out?

12/13/2014 9:26 pm  #7

Yes...how do other coaches do it and he needs to look in the mirror at himself!  Sounds like he has lost it.  Maybe he should get on to his life's work and take the AD with hi

12/13/2014 9:28 pm  #8

Ferry must not count coach K among his friends I guess.

12/13/2014 9:44 pm  #9

El Duque that was my thought exactly.  He is talking about kids he recruited not the other guys left overs.  I am tired of hearing excuses.  Other coaches find ways to teach, motivate, coach, inspire, and mold tough players.  Ferry is being paid big bucks to get the job done, and so far in my opinion he is failing badly. 

Last edited by CLK (12/13/2014 9:45 pm)

12/13/2014 11:37 pm  #10

CLK wrote:

CLK, I read this and it makes me think of the big Danny Nee article before he left.

Now as an aside, I can agree that helicopter parents are a BIG problem right now. That work ethic and all sorts of other issues exist these days with kids. Case in point - when a school board member went after the job of CV's Tim McConnell because his kid wasn't getting enough playing time. 

But reading it in this context, all I can think of is Danny Nee going "Old school... isn't working."

(EDIT: I just read further and saw that ED said the same thing... yeah, I'm with you.)

Last edited by TheFace (12/13/2014 11:40 pm)

12/14/2014 12:25 am  #11

CLK wrote:

El Duque that was my thought exactly.  He is talking about kids he recruited not the other guys left overs.  I am tired of hearing excuses.  Other coaches find ways to teach, motivate, coach, inspire, and mold tough players.  Ferry is being paid big bucks to get the job done, and so far in my opinion he is failing badly. 

Exactly: What a load of crap.  Kids come to a lesser program, in order to play college hoops (for some of them eduaction figures into it a bit) and to play in March Madness! That's it!  They dream of having their number called on Selection Sunday!  Period!

if you can't motivate them to play hard in a game, in order to take baby steps towards that goal, then you need to be in another line of work!  

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

12/14/2014 12:43 am  #12

Quote: Every coach we've hired has proclaimed that we will play an uptempo style that will lead recruits, and fans to our door. Meanwhile, Pitt plays an ugly grind it out style that doesn't attract recruits, but wins at a high level. I'd love to get a guy who came in and said "we're going to play smart, and defend at a high level".  Close Quote

That's a point that I have always questioned. Every coach since John Carroll has said the same thing, yet, it fails.  I would like to see a coach come in and put a new stamp on things and build a program by finding those gems in the rough and building a team based on teamwork and strong defense. It can be done!  John Cheney anyone? 

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

12/14/2014 6:00 am  #13

I always thought "Coaches Coach - Kids Play"  Now everyone in the Program is someone Ferry has brought in -  Looks like he's throwing the kids under the bus -  Kids today ARE different -  but if THAT WAS the problem it would be evidenced EVERYWHERE -  DON'T see the problem at a lot of other schools - CAN accept the "occasional" night when it seems  "everything went right for team A - nothing went right for team B" as part of what sports is all about -  Hopefully somehow the remaining 2 plus months of the season aren't the nightmare the first month has been. 

12/14/2014 6:33 am  #14

In my opinion , it is nothing about the "kids."   He was reaching to cover his own ass and Toole's speech was the nearest thing handy.

12/14/2014 7:52 am  #15

im just tied of the wait until next season approach when ____is eligible...
i dont think we are moving in the right direction at all.
i was talking to a friend when i said the amodio/ferry experiment is a disaster.
he replied with "no one can win at duquesne."
i replied with "everhart did, so it can be done"

unfortunately i think this decision will be up to those with much deeper pockets than mine..
correct me if im wrong, but didnt 10 people pledge 1million a piece over the next 10 years?
if those 10 people show up at presidents office monday and demand their money back and/or threaten to stop giving, then we may be looking at a change at the end of the year. if they are happy with the direction of the program, its gonna be hard to can two guys who shammed 10 people out of a million dollars...

12/14/2014 8:33 am  #16

I think they hired the wrong coach, period.
St. Bona took Pitt to the wire at Pitt with a mediocre team.
FGCU come up from Ft Myers to Play Pitt next week.
They are in 10 year Div 1' third year eligible to go to NCAA, a real recruiting nightmare until 4 years ago.
Hired a Kanas Asst for 200m , is that close to Ferry pay range, they are 8-1 losing only to Wisconsin-Milwalki

Will got to NCAA this year, was Sweet 16 2years ago.
And play in Atlantic Sun, not a Mecca for big time recruiting but would pound our hapless Dukes, maybe next year in tournament Dukes are coming to in Nov 2015.

It saddens me to see Duquesne just pissing away a once powerful tradition.

A diehard fan since 1961

12/14/2014 8:43 am  #17

Phildog wrote:

I think they hired the wrong coach, period.
St. Bona took Pitt to the wire at Pitt with a mediocre team.
FGCU come up from Ft Myers to Play Pitt next week.
They are in 10 year Div 1' third year eligible to go to NCAA, a real recruiting nightmare until 4 years ago.
Hired a Kanas Asst for 200m , is that close to Ferry pay range, they are 8-1 losing only to Wisconsin-Milwalki

Will got to NCAA this year, was Sweet 16 2years ago.
And play in Atlantic Sun, not a Mecca for big time recruiting but would pound our hapless Dukes, maybe next year in tournament Dukes are coming to in Nov 2015.

It saddens me to see Duquesne just pissing away a once powerful tradition.

Call me in 2 years about FGCU. He's coaching a team built by someone else right now.

12/14/2014 11:45 am  #18

ElDuque wrote:

CLK wrote:

Holy cow, I thought these were the Danny Nee quotes before the door hit him where the good Lord split him. Is Ferry saying he's lost this team? That scares the crap out of me. PS, how come these words only get spoken here? How do other coaches manage to figure kids out?

In 8½ years, we are coming full circle. I had to re-read this one from the archives.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/duquesne/2006/03/03/Embattled-Duquesne-coach-fights-a-losing-battle/stories/200603030231

12/14/2014 12:22 pm  #19

Phoenix, thank you for finding this article.  It feels for sure like we have gone full circle.  It is that same feeling of being without confidence in the guy hired to get the job done. I wonder if Jim Ferry uderstands how badly his comments reflect on him as a coach?   He needs to be careful or he will lose his team as Nee lost his.  He needs to man up and coach.  No more excuses.

12/15/2014 10:44 am  #20

It amazes me how some of the numb nuts on twitter still want to place blame for this Ferry debacle on Ron.  Ron has been gone for three years folks. He came in here and resurrected a program that had been dead for over 30 years. That is a fact. Any opinion of what he would have accomplished if he was not fired is speculation.  Personally I believe he would have reloaded and we would be among the best teams in the League.  Others I know think differently.  The bottom line is that Ferry was hired by our illustrious AD to be the next level coach and he is failing miserably based on performance to date.  I hope he can turn it around and salvage this season and give us hope that he is next level guy.  But If he does or does not, either way it is on him an in no way does Ron get any blame or credit for Ferry's performance or lack thereof PERIOD!

By the was I will never feel the same about Duquesne after the leaked memo that destroyed a good man's career.  I am not alone in this thinking but I am the exception because I root and still hope that DU can win again.  Others have just walked away.  Things will never be right on the Bluff until Amodio is gone.

Last edited by CLK (12/15/2014 10:52 am)

12/15/2014 11:13 am  #21

Next Level coach Ron Everhart...Still Everharts fault what a joke. The fact is no person in business academics medicine sports can succeed if your boss does not support that individual. In Ron's case he was undermined daily. OK McConnell leaves so did his sister.Lets look objectively at this program fan & student base all time low . Financial decisions can't be good. Media great job especially since Duquesne is clearly #3 in Pgh.zero sponsorship & perception nationally & locally this program a joke. Is this Rons fault?Charlie got sold a bad bill of goods by the AD should have waited a year he deserved a chance. Duquesne is a very sound catholic institution. dr. Murray & Charlie did a very good job.will not blame this coach & staff much too easy the problem lies Elsewhere.Yes CLK when I hear the next level in regard to Ron I get sick he deserved better. Sad sad state for this program.

12/15/2014 1:50 pm  #22

The "Hate Ron" faction will always be there. I'm certain that, for example, if the Dukes were to lose 20 or more games this year that the intensity would increase. I'm hoping that Ferry figures things out, one way or the other. He seems to be in pretty far over his head right now, but if he has ambitions beyond the Bluff, he needs to find an accelerator.

12/15/2014 2:18 pm  #23

CLK wrote:

It amazes me how some of the numb nuts on twitter still want to place blame for this Ferry debacle on Ron.  Ron has been gone for three years folks. He came in here and resurrected a program that had been dead for over 30 years. That is a fact. Any opinion of what he would have accomplished if he was not fired is speculation.  Personally I believe he would have reloaded and we would be among the best teams in the League.  Others I know think differently.  The bottom line is that Ferry was hired by our illustrious AD to be the next level coach and he is failing miserably based on performance to date.  I hope he can turn it around and salvage this season and give us hope that he is next level guy.  But If he does or does not, either way it is on him an in no way does Ron get any blame or credit for Ferry's performance or lack thereof PERIOD!

By the was I will never feel the same about Duquesne after the leaked memo that destroyed a good man's career.  I am not alone in this thinking but I am the exception because I root and still hope that DU can win again.  Others have just walked away.  Things will never be right on the Bluff until Amodio is gone.

CLK - I am not on Twitter. I have enough trouble with email and texts. Can you tell me who the "numb nuts" are that are still blaming Ron and/or how I can access their Tweets so I can read them myself. They must be real Ferry apologists, members of Greg Amodio's crew or Greg Amodio himself to still be blaming Ron for the disaster that is Duquesne basketball right now. I say "right now" to be fair because there still is the chance that Ferry can turn things around. And you're right - there are those who have walked away and will not return until Greg Amodio is gone.

Last edited by Westender (12/15/2014 2:20 pm)

12/15/2014 2:31 pm  #24

Westender wrote:

CLK wrote:

CLK - I am not on Twitter. I have enough trouble with email and texts. Can you tell me who the "numb nuts" are that are still blaming Ron and/or how I can access their Tweets so I can read them myself. They must be real Ferry apologists, members of Greg Amodio's crew or Greg Amodio himself to still be blaming Ron for the disaster that is Duquesne basketball right now. I say "right now" to be fair because there still is the chance that Ferry can turn things around. And you're right - there are those who have walked away and will not return until Greg Amodio is gone.

I think the guy he has in mind is not on this board.

12/15/2014 4:49 pm  #25

Westender check your inbox

Board footera