Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/18/2014 8:52 pm  #1

Dan Burt: Getting it done

Beat Pitt. Beat Robert Morris. Beating St. Francis.

Lost two outstanding seniors last year. Year before, the great S.Mc-S. left. Program keeps rolling. No steps back, maybe poised to get the program to the next level.

Just sayin'.

12/18/2014 10:19 pm  #2

Re: Dan Burt: Getting it done

He took players that got no playing time under the former coach and gets great minutes from them.  Raegan Moore last year. Jose Anne Johnson this year.

12/19/2014 2:42 am  #3

True, but in both cases it was seniors stepping up that finally got it and developed.  SMS developed her fair share, also...

I'm not quite so sure about the no steps back, maybe poised to get to the next level thing quite yet ED.  I'm cautiously hopeful, but don't think we'll be much better than #75ish RPI this year based off what I've seen thus far, though there's a chance we'll be somewhat higher if we can pull a couple games I'm not expecting to win in conference play.  The Dukes have taken a slight step back from where two of the three Selection Sundays before SMS left we were anxiously watching the TV only to see our name not called.  Burt's crew is very respectable however...with a potential chance for more...especially looking at the recruiting class coming in.

12/19/2014 9:56 am  #4

That's what I mean Rogabee. I only follow the women's program casually, but I see the passion that Burt has for his job. I think he will be very successful, including a future NCAA appearance, which I think we all know means winning the A-10.

12/19/2014 10:17 am  #5

I follow the women about as closely as the men.   Burt's team is playing the OOC schedule that will allow for an at large bid if you win those games.  After the rough start (with a close lose to ranked Syracuse) I didnt hold out much hope.   But he is beating the teams he is supposed to beat.   No bad losses.   And they handled the local teams handily with the exception of ranked WVU.

We really cant ask for more than this is his tenure so far.  Rogabee, is his next large recuiting class good by A10 standards? 

12/19/2014 7:50 pm  #6

First off, it was the Syracuse game that gave me hope this year.  I was somewhat down on the team going into the season.  It was a very inspiring performance.  Princeton and Green Bay are both great this year (both potential top 15 RPI teams...not joking). 

ED, sorry to bring this back up but I still disagree that the only way to dance is to win the A-10.  Even with the defections, the A10 was still a three bid league last year (Dayton, St Joe's, and Fordham all danced).  It's probably a two-bid league this year and will be a three bid league on up years and a two bid league on down years.

The incoming recruiting class is VERY good by A-10 standards.  Chassidy Omogrosso is one of the top 3 PGs in PA (perhaps even #1 like Burt believes) and is a top 200 recruit in the country by every source I've found but one (bluestarbb is the outlier), and one spot even had her in the top 50 overall.  That alone would make the class, as the women's game is more star-centric than the men's.  However, there's at least two more solid recruits, perhaps more.  Once again, the Dukes were able to sign the arguably best European forward available, which is always a plus (Orsi to Amadea to now Kadri-Ann Lass).  Conor Richardson is also a three-star recruit and possible top 200 recruit.  I don't know much about the other two, but Burt outrecruited Richmond (a typical .500 team in A-10 play) for Staffilino, and apparently one or two quality CAA schools were also trying to get in the mix for the forward.  I know nothing more than what was in the press release about Paige Cannon unfortunately.

12/19/2014 9:35 pm  #7

Great news.  Thanks for the info.

12/20/2014 12:44 am  #8

rogabee wrote:

ED, sorry to bring this back up but I still disagree that the only way to dance is to win the A-10.  Even with the defections, the A10 was still a three bid league last year (Dayton, St Joe's, and Fordham all danced).  It's probably a two-bid league this year and will be a three bid league on up years and a two bid league on down years.

Of course, as soon as I speak the A-10 craps the bed and goes 1-4 today...

12/20/2014 7:49 am  #9

I saw Chassidy in the State Chamionship Game with Black Hawk on Cable last year -  while I was VERY Impressed with her court savvy and shooting touch (even if it was only for one game) Still some doubt has to arise as to how effective she can be at 5'5 on the Div 1 level. 

Would rather have an EXCELLENT smaller player than an average bigger one - but also recall a conversation I had with Nellie King whose daughter played at DU - she was a 5'7 Power Forward and a decent player - I had told Nellie that while I didn't know her had seen her play and wondered how she was doing - Nellie told me she was doing well --  I told him today IF she was 3-4 inches bigger she might make it as a POINT GUARD - he laughed and said "That is probably right"  I know April Robinson is probably their nest player know so hopefully Chassidy can contribute on the top level as well.

12/20/2014 11:40 am  #10

Rogabee, thanks. Not meaning to be argumentative about the path to the NCAAs for the women. Was it last year or the year before, several teams with lesser records including one or two we beat got at-large bids and we were left out. I was upset about that. I was more fuming towards the selection committee than anything else with my comment.

I appreciate the commentary. Thanks and Merry Christmas.

12/20/2014 10:24 pm  #11

That was two years ago (2012-13 season) when WVU got in with a worse record, worse RPI by 17 spots, and we WON AT WVU!

Completely understand.  Merry XMas to you - and everyone on this board - as well!!

Thanks for the info skeptical.  I'm definitely going to try to make a game of hers this year.

Board footera