Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/26/2014 9:06 am  #1

UMES

Time for the Dukes to make a "statement of sorts" by stepping up and crushing this team.  Who would of thought it would be a "statement" by beating UMES?  UMES beat both the Bonnies and Fordham on the road, and any meaningful signs of life by this team is welcome.

http://www.goduquesne.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/122314aad.html

12/26/2014 10:09 am  #2

Re: UMES

Agreed. Time to step up. The key to me is how smart Ferry coaches. Starting the year by neutralizing your two best returning players was no way to begin the season. Put guys at their natural positions, make them play smart or sit. Spread the ball around. Play some defense and hit some FTs.

Go Dukes!

12/28/2014 2:43 pm  #3

Down 7 at the half. Was a juicy double digit lead for UMES. What is it about Palumbo that brings out the best ... In other teams?

12/28/2014 2:50 pm  #4

ElDuque wrote:

What is it about Palumbo that brings out the best ... In other teams?

Our defense.  Mostly wide open trey.  Our zone really sucks.  Glad to see Ferry finally changed out of the zone once we were down 13.  What is it with Ferry?  I do not understand why he does not call time outs to stop runs. 

12/28/2014 3:33 pm  #5

Four guards and Robinson. Worst lineup since Nee.

12/28/2014 3:51 pm  #6

I think the Dukes played okay.  I chalked this one up as a loss at the beginning because I figured it would be tough to beat a Big Ten school like The University of Maryland, even if it was at home.  

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

12/28/2014 3:51 pm  #7

And...we crapped the bed once more.

12/28/2014 3:55 pm  #8

Well a losing OOC record.  Ferry is just a horrible game day coach.

12/28/2014 3:56 pm  #9

i dont care who these other teams beat(because look at some of the teams they also lost to), there is absolutely no excuse for an a10 team to lose to an independent, a meac, and 2 nec teams in year 3 of the ferry regime. 
its totally unacceptable.
people say the a10 is down this year, but its still a top league, there are no easy wins(except for duquesne) , and each game is going to be a dog fight. it could be a very very long season. might only win 4 or 5 more this year

12/28/2014 3:58 pm  #10

heelsdukesfan wrote:

i dont care who these other teams beat(because look at some of the teams they also lost to), there is absolutely no excuse for an a10 team to lose to an independent, a meac, and 2 nec teams in year 3 of the ferry regime. 
people say the a10 is down this year, but its still a top league, there are no easy wins(except for duquesne) , and each game is going to be a dog fight. it could be a very very long season. might only win 4 or 5 more this year

I agree 100%.  This is UMES not Umass.  Just disgusting!

12/28/2014 3:59 pm  #11

This is just a joke.   Amodio best be gone after this season.   Give the new AD a year to evaluate Ferry. 

Ferry and his staff are so overmatched.  It is just sad.

12/28/2014 4:07 pm  #12

I am so sick of hearing Ferry's excuses! This team averaged 17 turnovers a game, and we do not press full court untill the very end of the game.  This season is a disaster to date and I don't see us finishing above 13th in the A10.  Amodio has to go, and Ferry has to make a big move up next season.

Last edited by CLK (12/28/2014 4:15 pm)

12/28/2014 4:17 pm  #13

CLK wrote:

I am so sick of hearing Ferry's excuses! This team averaged 17 turnovers a game, and we do not press full court untill the very end of the game.  This season is a disaster to date and I don't see us finishing above 13th in the A10.  Amodio has to go, and Ferry has to make a big move up next season.

I honestly do not see any way Amodio can survive this season.  It's been 10 years.  He has to go.

12/28/2014 4:31 pm  #14

Anybody know what excuses they are making for Amodio and Ferry on the other board?? Generally, I don't read it. It raises my blood pressure, and I have to be careful with things that could impact my vascular system/

12/28/2014 4:52 pm  #15

Westender wrote:

Anybody know what excuses they are making for Amodio and Ferry on the other board?? Generally, I don't read it. It raises my blood pressure, and I have to be careful with things that could impact my vascular system/

a final four consisting of Kentucky, UMES, NJIT, and the winner of St Francis/bobby mo?!?!

just kidding. shouldnt pick on those guys. I appreciate their insights too. 

12/28/2014 5:01 pm  #16

duqkurt wrote:

CLK wrote:

I honestly do not see any way Amodio can survive this season.  It's been 10 years.  He has to go.

This isn't The University of Pittsburgh it's Duquesne. Amodio is going nowhere. How many fans @ the game 500? All time low......Karma Karma Karma

12/28/2014 5:02 pm  #17

I just don't get it.

I knew with 10 mins left in the Robert Morriss game that we were going to lose. I knew with 10 minutes left in the first half today that we were going to lose. Did anyone else even have a faint hope?  It is the same lack of defensive intensity that carries over midcourt to lackadaisical offensive sets. I thought the 2-3 zone was a quick fix to mix things up. If it is the primary defensive set, it doesn't show any effect of improving from one game to the next. Zero foul shots in the first half. Two at the 10:00 mark of the second. Zero from any of the forward/center positions. 

I found Ferry to be personally likable when he first spoke, but I can hardley listen any more. He started three juniors and a senior today. In post-game, he mentioned that the UMESS players were actually old for their grade level. Really? We're looking at birth certificates now? They played against a first year coach. Of a team that finished 6-24 in the MEAC last year.

I arrived on the Bluff in '82. While this isn't the worst team I've seen, it is definitely the most frustrating and the most disappointing.

12/28/2014 5:14 pm  #18

I also left the internet at the 10 min mark or close to it in first half, Eastern Shore Guards were hitting shots while slashing to the hope with Duquesne guards running behind them !

I also knew that Duquesne would not win, there is something wrong there. Last year, Ovie could drive on any one and would get his 18. This year there is no go to player.

These players are not very good, and frankly it looks like a DAP team with few set plays or defense.

If this kid from New York is any good he may want consider his verbal, if possible.

A diehard fan since 1961

12/28/2014 5:59 pm  #19

At the beginning of the season most DU fans were looking for a 9-2 or 8-3 OOC record.  The general opinion was that there was more talent and depth.  Wow, the air is out of that sail.  The returning players have all regressed under Ferry.  This is just so frustrating.

12/28/2014 6:26 pm  #20

heelsdukesfan wrote:

4 or 5 more? Unless Ferry gets his head out of his &$$, they will be lucky to win 2 or 3 more.

12/28/2014 6:27 pm  #21

Westender wrote:

None. Even the optimists are disgusted.

12/28/2014 6:54 pm  #22

CLK wrote:

At the beginning of the season most DU fans were looking for a 9-2 or 8-3 OOC record.  The general opinion was that there was more talent and depth.  Wow, the air is out of that sail.  The returning players have all regressed under Ferry.  This is just so frustrating.

I was pretty optimistic after watching quite a few of the summer league games. Not gonna fall for that again. I just erased the couple of 40 point games Castro had from my memory.

12/29/2014 7:28 am  #23

Attendance was 732. TheSteeler Game was at night. This will hit 500 soon. Nice hire GA. Nice job Coach Ferry. Folks, welcome to the second Danny Nee area. Can you imagine what is going to happen when we play. our Atlantic 10 schedule?  Hey, was the AD even there??

12/29/2014 8:19 am  #24

I sent the President a kind and respectful email about the program.  No, I didn't get a response but I didn't expect one.  In addition, I contacted one of the local paper sports writers  and received a response back.  Unless folks on this board do the same, we will get the same.  Please do both for our University.  That is the only way he will know the passion that everyone has.  If we are apathetic, they will also be apathetic.

12/29/2014 9:08 am  #25

How can anyone survive the millions of dollars be wasted thanks to Amodio.Total destruction of fan & alumni base. Yes Michigan can screw up football temporarily but not Duquesne. Charlie send a message you basically have 8 months to find a new AD. New direction review entire dept clean house then maybe coach Ferry has a chance.

Board footera