Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/28/2014 6:03 pm  #1

This is no fun

I think my spirit has finally been broken.

12/28/2014 6:24 pm  #2

Re: This is no fun

VBC wrote:

Tell me about it. I'm at the point where I just look for the score after the game is over. If this continues, I just don't see how GA can survive. Someone's head has to roll for this.

12/29/2014 9:43 am  #3

duq81 wrote:

VBC wrote:

Tell me about it. I'm at the point where I just look for the score after the game is over. If this continues, I just don't see how GA can survive. Someone's head has to roll for this.

VBC my friend you have been one of the biggest die hard fans and supporters of DU, if your spirit has been broken there is no hope for this program.  In fact that is the biggest thing I am feeling....no hope.  This team appears to be worse than last year.  Instead of moving forward we are spinning downward.  At this point I have zero confidence that Ferry can even get us to an average A10 team let alone be the next level coach he is paid $600,000 a year to be.  The returning players with the possible exception of Colter have all regressed.  There is no visible signs of coaching.  All we hear are excuses.  With esentially the same team returning next year I fear it will be more disappointment.  The memory of big time basketball on the Bluff is all but gone.  School spirit in the student population is non existent, the die hards are fading, and there is no accountability on Bluff for this epic destruction.  Like I said...no hope!

Last edited by CLK (12/29/2014 10:44 am)

12/29/2014 10:36 am  #4

It is very disheartening to read people saying stuff like this.   I am used to it coming out of my mouth cause I tend to be negative, but it concerning when I hear others say what I am thinking. 

I will try to be the bright light here.  As long as they don't pull the plug on D-1 sports, there is hope.  But the Board and the President have to care.   I don't care what progress is shown in the A10 season, but Amodio has to go.   And it is not like Amodio is going to be a scapegoat.   It will be a well-earned dismissal.   That will be a bright spot for me.   If they some how manage to win 6 A-10 games, a huge stress......he should still be gone.  This season is already lost.  

This isn't Pitt where the football coach is more powerful than the AD.   They have to show commitment to us, by bouncing Amodio at the end of the bb season.  Bring in someone whose experience in running an Athletic Department is not SOLELY from the marketing side.  (That was his chief strength and his biggest failure as an AD, IMO.  A marketing oriented AD who is aloof and manages to alienate people.  Unbelievable).

I honestly believe that bouncing Amodio will be the ray of hope that we need.

Last edited by duqkurt (12/29/2014 10:37 am)

12/29/2014 12:27 pm  #5

We need an AD who can connect with the students and alums, not someone who is aloof. This is why Pitt got rid of Pedey. He had alienated the fanbase, just like Greg.

12/29/2014 12:48 pm  #6

He isn't the only one that is aloof - he has an assistant that is probably worse.  So how does it get done?  Writing on this board?  Sending emails to the President?  Contacting alumni?  Contacting the papers?

12/29/2014 1:09 pm  #7

FAM wrote:

He isn't the only one that is aloof - he has an assistant that is probably worse.  So how does it get done?  Writing on this board?  Sending emails to the President?  Contacting alumni?  Contacting the papers?

I honestly believe the decision is out of our hands.   DU has always just done what they wanted to do.  So if the President and the Board feel a change should be made, one will be made.   I am not trying to discourage anyone from voicing their displeasure with the Board, but in my humble opinion, they just don't care what we think.

I do think that the Harlan PG article was the last straw in the Nee coffin.   But with the Steelers in the playoffs, you aren't going to get anyone in the media's attention until they are eliminated.   Publicly embarrassing them in the media might work.  But you needed an interested press for that, which we dont have. 

Last edited by duqkurt (12/29/2014 1:37 pm)

12/29/2014 1:09 pm  #8

FAM wrote:

"Writing on this board?"   Sadly, we are down to less thatn 20 die hards and maybe, maybe 20 fringers who care.

"Sending emails to the President." I had a long conversation about my letter two years ago with Mrs. McIntryre, his personal assistant, who promised me a response. Still have not gotten anything.

"Contacting alumni."   See Point 1.

"Contacting Papers."  They don't care!  We are now an afterthought, at best in the local sports media.

I really think that, sadly, this is the end, of DU hoops at any big time level. 

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

12/29/2014 1:38 pm  #9

Just to help me remember I went on line to RE resume on his time at Duquesne, 100 wins, always Winning after first year, the tournaments after season, players going to Europe.

Do u think we we ever get a coach like that again? One who wins, with no excuses. Only a down and outer like Née would come here, glad to be anywhere coaching.

A diehard fan since 1961

12/29/2014 1:50 pm  #10

As a result of years of therapy, psychotherapeutic drugs, meditation and prayer, I am able to attend the games and leave happy. I found that changing my expectations so that I expect we will play poorly allows me to avoid frustration and anger. And on those occasions when we actually play well, I get the seratonin boost of joy. I just go with the flow.  Try it. It might help you too.   

12/29/2014 2:41 pm  #11

This is a first and I have been reading for weeks now and just needed to speak out. We have reach the point of irrelevance you can bearly find mention of our games in any format. We have been totally out maneuvered by RMU in athletics IMHO. The ongoing debate regarding Ferry's contract is dwarfed by the fact that the AD was renewed and has a 3 year contract.

12/29/2014 3:11 pm  #12

The Dome wrote:

This is a first and I have been reading for weeks now and just needed to speak out. We have reach the point of irrelevance you can bearly find mention of our games in any format. We have been totally out maneuvered by RMU in athletics IMHO. The ongoing debate regarding Ferry's contract is dwarfed by the fact that the AD was renewed and has a 3 year contract.

First, welcome to the fold.   When was it renewed?   There have been rumors of this.  

12/29/2014 3:24 pm  #13

Thank you!  Not certain when but it has. I also understand the desire to keep it low key. I would certainly hope that pressure is coming down on individuals. I know for a fact Charlie hates to lose to RMU and after the St. Francis game there was finally some grumbling from on high. I just don't see where the money comes from for a purge. Unfortunately this isn't Pitt with deeper pockets.

12/29/2014 8:30 pm  #14

Tejas, there may be 20 plus who write a lot but if you look at some of the views at times they can get over 1,100 which is a lot more than the attendance Has been and will be.  I am also aware of some folks who have given money who are really upset.  I am telling all if you write to the President (whether you get a reply back or not, and also send a lot of emails to those who cover DU basketball that change will come.) It will take the rest of this year but nothing will happen if no one writes. Also, no we aren't A school that has a lot of money but I bet our coach and AD also don't have a big buyout clause.  Maybe as the President keeps getting embarrassed and no one goes to the games he will also get the message that way.

12/30/2014 1:05 pm  #15

Boy, and I thought we'd hit the bottom.  We must just be looking up while still falling.  How far can the bottom be?

12/30/2014 1:45 pm  #16

FAM wrote:

Tejas, there may be 20 plus who write a lot but if you look at some of the views at times they can get over 1,100 which is a lot more than the attendance Has been and will be. I am also aware of some folks who have given money who are really upset. I am telling all if you write to the President (whether you get a reply back or not, and also send a lot of emails to those who cover DU basketball that change will come.) It will take the rest of this year but nothing will happen if no one writes. Also, no we aren't A school that has a lot of money but I bet our coach and AD also don't have a big buyout clause. Maybe as the President keeps getting embarrassed and no one goes to the games he will also get the message that way.

I'm no expert on counting page hits, but I believe those numbers count repeat hits.  I bet some of us hit a thread at least 20 times, I know I do. That's 400 hits right there.  I agree there are lurkers and maybe more than 20 fringers, but we're still a tiny community, no matter how you slice it.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

Board footera