Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/30/2014 11:59 am  #1

Texas-Pan American

Well the best we can do now is 5-6 in the OOC...a losing record.  I do not think anyone expected that with the OOC schedule we had.  The absolute worst to me was the loss to RMU who had two starters out (Including Licky Jones) and beat us with a bunch of freshman.  That took away Ferry's excuse "we are so young".  Their young guys kick our young guys collective ass.  The best big man on the court that day was Elijah Minnie, a local kid with many offers that Ferry half hearted recruited and lost to RMU.  I am so sick of hearing excuses from this over paid coach.  It is time for him to ear his xxxxxxx pay.  It is a losing OOC record.  The only question is do we end 5-6 or end with a win and go 4-7 against a weak Texas PA team? 

12/30/2014 12:24 pm  #2

Re: Texas-Pan American

CLK I saw Minnie play a lot last year and thought other than Rowan he was the best player in the WPIAL including Luther who we expended all of our energy on and that is a whole other topic. Pitt also passed on Minnie and went for Jeter and the reason I believe where whispers about A) being able to get the kid in school and eligible and B) a possible issue the law. I think he is going to be a very good player that plenty of coaches are going to kick themselves for missing.

12/30/2014 12:41 pm  #3

The Dome wrote:

CLK I saw Minnie play a lot last year and thought other than Rowan he was the best player in the WPIAL including Luther who we expended all of our energy on and that is a whole other topic. Pitt also passed on Minnie and went for Jeter and the reason I believe where whispers about A) being able to get the kid in school and eligible and B) a possible issue the law. I think he is going to be a very good player that plenty of coaches are going to kick themselves for missing.

Minnie would have been an ideal big for an uptempo team (if that is what Ferry is still building during this identity crisis period).  Minnie is an agile big who can chase down rebounds, pass, block shots, run the floor and finish.  Too bad we have to face him for the next three years.

12/30/2014 7:57 pm  #4

Dukes up by 7 at the half.  Getting the ball inside with McKoy and Lewis having a nice first half.  Need to keep it going.

12/30/2014 8:22 pm  #5

Some life tonight.  Too many turnovers but at least a lead.

12/30/2014 9:06 pm  #6

They used the bigs tonight. If they stick with this, we might see some improvement as the year goes on. Lewis has potential. I want to see him keep playing.

12/30/2014 9:09 pm  #7

Dukes hang on to win with some clutch shooting by Mason.  Battle of two bad teams, but I'll take the W to close out 2014.    The Dukes had more turnovers than Sarah Lee (22) tonight but were able to get in the paint when they held on to the ball,  If Lewis, McKoy and Powell can play like that in the League maybe we can win some.

Last edited by CLK (12/30/2014 9:14 pm)

12/30/2014 9:24 pm  #8

I think going big is the only chance we have going forward. If Ferry can accept that his preferred style isn't going to work, and goes to, and sticks with a big lineup, I think we can get this train back on the tracks, and be in decent shape going into next year. If he goes back to a shrimp lineup, all is lost.

12/30/2014 9:25 pm  #9

Agreed.

12/30/2014 9:49 pm  #10

That would mean less PT for Jones. Ferry loves the guy. You're more likely to see the small forward with four guard combination, and the resulting humiliation that comes with it.

12/30/2014 10:19 pm  #11

The skill set of Jones doesn't come close to supporting the minutes he gets to play. What's up with that? 

12/30/2014 10:57 pm  #12

A couple of random questions for the group. Did we really recruit Tysean Powell to play center and if so why? What could Jordan Robinson have done between games that would be bad enough that he received 0 minutes. Applecorps other than rebound why does Jones get the minutes he does couldn't agree more. Why did it take this long to realize changes needed to be made. And finally will we ever get to a line up that fully utilizes the size and talents IMHO I believe we aren't using. I guess a win is a win but it doesn't feel very good. Happy New Year to all.

12/30/2014 11:31 pm  #13

Not sure if any of the lineup changes matter yet.  Folks, we beat a bad team.  We are bad.  If we lose to Dayton by less than 20 points and lose to St. Joe's at home by less than 15 then I can say we have improved.  Do you realize how bad this team is - they lost to us.  Yes, I am glad we won...but wait until A10 play to get a true gauge of our play.  Between Ferry and his assistants Duquesne is probably paying out over 1 million dollars!!!  

Last edited by FAM (12/30/2014 11:32 pm)

12/30/2014 11:58 pm  #14

It is hard to believe that Micah Mason's free throws tonight were his first attempts against D-1 competition this season - 10 games. And he was playing point guard a lot of this time.

12/31/2014 12:02 am  #15

FAM wrote:

Not sure if any of the lineup changes matter yet.  Folks, we beat a bad team.  We are bad.  If we lose to Dayton by less than 20 points and lose to St. Joe's at home by less than 15 then I can say we have improved.  Do you realize how bad this team is - they lost to us.  Yes, I am glad we won...but wait until A10 play to get a true gauge of our play.  Between Ferry and his assistants Duquesne is probably paying out over 1 million dollars!!!  

St. Joe's is actually winnable.  They're as bad as we are.

12/31/2014 8:05 am  #16

I continue to be impressed by Lewis. you can tell he is really putting the effort in. he is very vocal on and off the floor too. by other accounts, he is a super nice kid that also puts the scholar into scholar athlete. Its nice to see him succeed. this kid could turn into the leader this team needs. 
would like to see him add some more muscle and a little bit more attitude

ive also been a critic of jermiahs playing time, however, what he lacks in skill, he does make up for with intensity. heading into last nights game, he was the leading rebounder on the team. while i appreciate his effort and hard work, its also kind of scary that he is outrebounding mckoy, lewis, gill, and powell...that is my best guess for his expanded role and playing time...i think he is also averaging a steal a game too

colter continues to impress me. we all thought he would be a big liability heading into this season, but it seems as if he as matured and turned into a solid ball player.

powell has some sweet offensive moves. his defense is non existant.
gill was getting after the rebounds last nite.
mason was non factor last night, but had a very good second half.
not sure which is lesser of 2 evils--stevens launching shots from all over, or his passing that leads to turnovers. for every shot he drains, he misses 3, and for every sweet pass he makes, he throws two away...
robinson? sick/hurt/doghouse?!? didnt play a minute
ridenour is probably making plans to play elsewhere next year.

overall team defense is just still awful.

im gonna try to remain optimistic and say we can get 6-8 a10 wins this year.

12/31/2014 8:46 am  #17

CLK wrote:

Well the best we can do now is 5-6 in the OOC...a losing record.  I do not think anyone expected that with the OOC schedule we had.  The absolute worst to me was the loss to RMU who had two starters out (Including Licky Jones) and beat us with a bunch of freshman.  That took away Ferry's excuse "we are so young".  Their young guys kick our young guys collective ass.  The best big man on the court that day was Elijah Minnie, a local kid with many offers that Ferry half hearted recruited and lost to RMU.  I am so sick of hearing excuses from this over paid coach.  It is time for him to ear his xxxxxxx pay.  It is a losing OOC record.  The only question is do we end 5-6 or end with a win and go 4-7 against a weak Texas PA team? 

5-6 OCC sad thing a good few we're pay games guaranteed wins NOT. In PG sports  1,322 fans at game not bad considering the state of the program

12/31/2014 9:19 am  #18

Jones leading the team in rebounding is a statement, indeed: our bigs can't rebound.

12/31/2014 9:26 am  #19

heelsdukesfan wrote:

I continue to be impressed by Lewis. you can tell he is really putting the effort in. he is very vocal on and off the floor too. by other accounts, he is a super nice kid that also puts the scholar into scholar athlete. Its nice to see him succeed. this kid could turn into the leader this team needs. 
would like to see him add some more muscle and a little bit more attitude

ive also been a critic of jermiahs playing time, however, what he lacks in skill, he does make up for with intensity. heading into last nights game, he was the leading rebounder on the team. while i appreciate his effort and hard work, its also kind of scary that he is outrebounding mckoy, lewis, gill, and powell...that is my best guess for his expanded role and playing time...i think he is also averaging a steal a game too

colter continues to impress me. we all thought he would be a big liability heading into this season, but it seems as if he as matured and turned into a solid ball player.

Agree about Lewis. Ferry needs to get it in his head that Lewis is going to be a big key moving forward, and approach things with this in mind. Do what's needed to develop him. Too bad he didn't reshirt last year.

Jones is one of those players that coaches love. Limited ability, but gives 100% effort. On a good team, he'd be one of those glue guys, but he's not as valuable on a team like this.

Colter is the MVP of the team. He has really stepped his game up, and I feel comfortable with him at the point for the next year and a half.

12/31/2014 11:00 am  #20

Heels although I appreciate the improvement and enthusiasm of Lewis and I hope for more upside he grabbed 3 rebounds for the game. Sorry I need more from my center. I hate to bury JJones because he does play hard but here is the sad tale 35% from the field, 52% from the line, 30 assist 21 turnovers. And finally I hate the harp but Robinson in 96 minutes of playing time has as many offensive rebounds as does Lewis and 6 less defensive rebounds Lewis now has 119 minutes.

12/31/2014 11:51 am  #21

Anyone who watched last nights game would notice that Lewis' impact is on the defensive end. 5 blocks and countless others bothered. His size clogs up the interior and makes the Dukes much more difficult to play against. For a team that has struggled defensively and has small guards this is a big plus.

Robinson and Powell are both bad defensively as many younger players are. Powell is much more of a versitile offensive threat, so he plays. You really can't play 2 freshman forwards extended minutes on a team that already hasn't proven to be very good defensively.

12/31/2014 1:06 pm  #22

DukesFan I appreciate your point but we are playing a zone!  If executed properly the added length on the wings would be beneficial. I also think your missing what the threat of inside scoring did for the offense on a whole and if done more effectively could produce. And not to be combative but what's our record and where are we going I'm willing at this point to find players.

12/31/2014 2:24 pm  #23

rogabee wrote: "St. Joe's is actually winnable.  They're as bad as we are"

Well, there will be 2 things going against us even if they are as bad as you say there are.
1.  They have better coaches and coaching.
2.  They will have as many folks at the game as we do.

Last edited by FAM (12/31/2014 2:25 pm)

12/31/2014 3:48 pm  #24

DukesFan79 wrote:

Anyone who watched last nights game would notice that Lewis' impact is on the defensive end. 5 blocks and countless others bothered. His size clogs up the interior and makes the Dukes much more difficult to play against. For a team that has struggled defensively and has small guards this is a big plus.

Robinson and Powell are both bad defensively as many younger players are. Powell is much more of a versitile offensive threat, so he plays. You really can't play 2 freshman forwards extended minutes on a team that already hasn't proven to be very good defensively.

Lewis also impressed me last night. He seems to be getting better each game he plays. His presence, and I mean big  space eating presence, really made a difference last night. He not only block 5 shots, but also altered several shots. I really hope this was a breakout game for the big guy. At this point, I would continue to start Lewis at the 5, and bring in Robinson as his backup. I would start McCoy at the 4 with Powell as his backup. I really think coach Ferry should start grooming Gill to play the 3, but at this point I would start Jeremiah for lack of any better alternative. James is not ready yet for any meaningful minutes and needs to get stronger and get coached up on how to play defense (as does most of the team by the way). I saw some things in Gill last night, just some athletic flashes, where he drove to the hoop. I see potential in him at the 3 but he needs to be more aggressive off the dribble, and learn how to play defense. He can not continue to rely on hanging in the wing to shoot the three. Maybe I am wrong, but I really do not see the future for him as a 4. It would be really nice to have a frontcourt of Lewis, McCoy and Gill. 

Last edited by CLK (12/31/2014 4:06 pm)

Board footera