Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing




You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?



12/13/2012 12:29 am  #1


Big East Catholics to announce their future plans in 24 - 48 hours.

http://m.espn.go.com/wireless/story?storyId=8742607

In all likelihood leaving the Big East.  It all happened so fast and we have been asleep at the wheel so long.  I really don't see the A10 surviving the raid. 

Good Luck, DU.

 

12/13/2012 12:39 am  #2


Re: Big East Catholics to announce their future plans in 24 - 48 hours.

Things dont look good but lets hold out a little hope. The A10 did all it could to build the strength to withstand this by getting VCU and Butler. Lets hope it works.

 

12/13/2012 7:10 am  #3


Re: Big East Catholics to announce their future plans in 24 - 48 hours.

Here's a possibility that's a long shot, but probably more likely than any of the BE7 joining the A10. The BE7 are going to invite 5 teams. Xavier, St. Louis, Dayton, either Butler or Creighton, and one eastern school, likely VCU or Richmond, with Duquesne a long shot. The 4 midwestern schools added to Marquette, and DePaul, make for a nice division, as do the other 6. What to do for the schools left behind? Approach UConn, and UC, and propose to sponsor an 8 school football league. UConn, UC, Temple, Memphis, E Carolina, USF, UCF, and UMass. If other schools want to join for football only, add them if they make sense. This would be a 16 team league for all other sports. Why would UConn and UC want to join this instead of being off on their own? Simple, while they might not be thrilled about playing the Dukes and Bonas of the world, those schools are no worse than playing Tulane and SMU, and are much closer, and are located in the same markets that the BE schools have long played in. UConn and UC should be driving this bus, and the other schools will likely follow their lead. Bernie should at the very least, have this scenario in mind. Would it be a great league, no, but it would probably be a bit better than the current A10, so what's not to love. This league could actually have the potential to surpass the Catholic league. Being in a league where the conference tournament is still held in NYC might be very attractive to UConn.

Last edited by duq81 (12/13/2012 7:13 am)

 

12/13/2012 7:50 am  #4


Re: Big East Catholics to announce their future plans in 24 - 48 hours.

duq81 wrote:

Here's a possibility that's a long shot, but probably more likely than any of the BE7 joining the A10. The BE7 are going to invite 5 teams. Xavier, St. Louis, Dayton, either Butler or Creighton, and one eastern school, likely VCU or Richmond, with Duquesne a long shot. The 4 midwestern schools added to Marquette, and DePaul, make for a nice division, as do the other 6. What to do for the schools left behind? Approach UConn, and UC, and propose to sponsor an 8 school football league. UConn, UC, Temple, Memphis, E Carolina, USF, UCF, and UMass. If other schools want to join for football only, add them if they make sense. This would be a 16 team league for all other sports. Why would UConn and UC want to join this instead of being off on their own? Simple, while they might not be thrilled about playing the Dukes and Bonas of the world, those schools are no worse than playing Tulane and SMU, and are much closer, and are located in the same markets that the BE schools have long played in. UConn and UC should be driving this bus, and the other schools will likely follow their lead. Bernie should at the very least, have this scenario in mind. Would it be a great league, no, but it would probably be a bit better than the current A10, so what's not to love. This league could actually have the potential to surpass the Catholic league. Being in a league where the conference tournament is still held in NYC might be very attractive to UConn.

The problem with that is UConn and UC will never agree to that.   They are both waiting for the next shoe to drop in the ACC with defections of teams moving to either the B12, B1G or SEC and they will be back filled into that conference.   Conference USA already has the structure in place to absorb all the teams you mentioned even as a temporary rest stop.

     Thread Starter
 

12/13/2012 7:53 am  #5


Re: Big East Catholics to announce their future plans in 24 - 48 hours.

Are there any DU insiders out there (Scotchngars) who have any knowledge concerning what the administration is doing concerning all this?   Are they reaching out pleading their case yet? 

Here is where being underserved by the media hurts.   There are people interested in the subject but no one to report on it.   And our administration is closed off to any real questions as any administration could possible be.

     Thread Starter
 

12/13/2012 8:23 am  #6


Re: Big East Catholics to announce their future plans in 24 - 48 hours.

I think the answer is as simple as those seven plus Temple merging with the A-10 and breaking the new conference into geographic divisions that make sense, with a rotating schedule. You can't play that many teams every year, so maybe one year East plays all teams in its division twice and all the teams in the Midwest Division once. The next year East draws South, or North. I think it would work.

 

12/13/2012 8:27 am  #7


Re: Big East Catholics to announce their future plans in 24 - 48 hours.

duqkurt wrote:

Are there any DU insiders out there (Scotchngars) who have any knowledge concerning what the administration is doing concerning all this?   Are they reaching out pleading their case yet? 

Here is where being underserved by the media hurts.   There are people interested in the subject but no one to report on it.   And our administration is closed off to any real questions as any administration could possible be.

I have to believe our AD and Administration have been pushing hard for a seat at the table.  DU has the Pittsburgh market and the use of the Consol in its favor.  Say your prayers.

 

12/13/2012 8:54 am  #8


Re: Big East Catholics to announce their future plans in 24 - 48 hours.

ElDuque wrote:

I think the answer is as simple as those seven plus Temple merging with the A-10 and breaking the new conference into geographic divisions that make sense, with a rotating schedule. You can't play that many teams every year, so maybe one year East plays all teams in its division twice and all the teams in the Midwest Division once. The next year East draws South, or North. I think it would work.

The Marquette Athletic Director already said that is not going to happen.   Read his comments about the A10 here.   He doesn't have a lot of respect for the A10 as a whole.   There is never ever going to be a 21 team league. 

http://espnwisconsin.com/common/more.php?m=49&action=blog&r=51&post_id=16611

     Thread Starter
 

12/13/2012 8:55 am  #9


Re: Big East Catholics to announce their future plans in 24 - 48 hours.

CLK wrote:

duqkurt wrote:

Are there any DU insiders out there (Scotchngars) who have any knowledge concerning what the administration is doing concerning all this?   Are they reaching out pleading their case yet? 

Here is where being underserved by the media hurts.   There are people interested in the subject but no one to report on it.   And our administration is closed off to any real questions as any administration could possible be.

I have to believe our AD and Administration have been pushing hard for a seat at the table.  DU has the Pittsburgh market and the use of the Consol in its favor.  Say your prayers.

I hope you are right.  I hope it is not like the way they have paid attention to the quality of internet webcasts over the years.

     Thread Starter
 

12/13/2012 9:32 am  #10


Re: Big East Catholics to announce their future plans in 24 - 48 hours.

I dont know what the potential issue is for us?  We are in the A10, which is reaching its biggest strongest lineup of teams.  Who gives a poo about what 7 schools from the Big Easy do.  That conference has been imploding since Miami and VaT left.  Let them create a conference with 8 teams whos best days are from the early 80s and screw themselves.  A10 is fine.

 

12/13/2012 10:10 am  #11


Re: Big East Catholics to announce their future plans in 24 - 48 hours.

townsonkid wrote:

I dont know what the potential issue is for us?  We are in the A10, which is reaching its biggest strongest lineup of teams.  Who gives a poo about what 7 schools from the Big Easy do.  That conference has been imploding since Miami and VaT left.  Let them create a conference with 8 teams whos best days are from the early 80s and screw themselves.  A10 is fine.

You don't think Xavier, Dayton, VCU, Butler, and (fill in the blank with the A10 school of your choice) would bolt the A10 in a second if asked to join with the Big East Catholics in a new conference?   If Duquesne were extended an invitation and they didn't take it.... that would be crazy.

     Thread Starter
 

12/13/2012 10:20 am  #12


Re: Big East Catholics to announce their future plans in 24 - 48 hours.

duqkurt wrote:

townsonkid wrote:

I dont know what the potential issue is for us?  We are in the A10, which is reaching its biggest strongest lineup of teams.  Who gives a poo about what 7 schools from the Big Easy do.  That conference has been imploding since Miami and VaT left.  Let them create a conference with 8 teams whos best days are from the early 80s and screw themselves.  A10 is fine.

You don't think Xavier, Dayton, VCU, Butler, and (fill in the blank with the A10 school of your choice) would bolt the A10 in a second if asked to join with the Big East Catholics in a new conference?   If Duquesne were extended an invitation and they didn't take it.... that would be crazy.

This! Xavier and company would love to be rid of the bottom half of the A10. That is why they will jump at the chance to bolt. As for UConn and Cincy never agreeing to my proposal, UConn is not going to want to join CUSA under any circumstances. Sure they want to join the ACC, but for now, that's not happening. My solution may be temporary, but anything they do will be temporary. They will be in a crappy football league until the ACC comes calling. Don't you think that they would prefer to be playing their games in the northeast, as opposed to traveling to Texas to play teams that are no better than us, LaSalle, and Fordham? Plus being able to have their postseason tourney in NYC? You agree to let them leave with no penalty if the ACC comes calling. They might relish the chance to do damage to the new Catholic league.

 

12/13/2012 11:25 am  #13


Re: Big East Catholics to announce their future plans in 24 - 48 hours.

This is a very complicated mess.  I see ESPN hands behind the scenes pulling the strings and controlling the direction.  I will be the first to admit I do not understand all of the inner workings, but I have to question why Duquesne should not be in the mix for this new league should it be formed. Sure we went through a period of time when our Administration had no commitment to athletics, but that has been reversed and recent history will show a major financial commitiment by DU.  We have the location, we have a world class arena at our door step for our use and we our an outstanding academic institution.  The potential and future of Duquesne needs to be sold here. I hope our AD is out there selling the sizzel.

 

12/13/2012 11:27 am  #14


Re: Big East Catholics to announce their future plans in 24 - 48 hours.

Not a single mention by national media types of Duquesne being involved.

I could make a case for Duquesne over Dayton though,

 

12/13/2012 11:45 am  #15


Re: Big East Catholics to announce their future plans in 24 - 48 hours.

DukesDan wrote:

Not a single mention by national media types of Duquesne being involved.

I could make a case for Duquesne over Dayton though,

I'd like to hear that one Dan!  The only ones we could theoretically make a case as being better than are Fordham and St. Bona  (middle of nowhere, NY).  We're holing a pair when everyone else at the table is raising on trips.


Vicimus Atlanticum decem
 

12/13/2012 11:51 am  #16


Re: Big East Catholics to announce their future plans in 24 - 48 hours.

CLK wrote:

I see ESPN hands behind the scenes pulling the strings and controlling the direction.

Honestly, that is our only hope I think for inclusion.   The Big East has a brand name in Pittsburgh that people identify with.  If they are pulling the strings and TV markets dominate the discussion that is our only shot.  Academics or being Catholic have nothing to do with this - sadly enough. 

@McMurphyESPN has been tweeting about this all morning.  He expects a raid of the A10 schools by the Big East.  He doesn't see the BE joining the A10 at all.   

If they only take 3 the conference could recover.  If they take 5 or 6, and we are not one of them, well........hello MAAC!!! 

It is not like this has not been coming down the pike for a long time, we just have never been able to be relevant enough to join the conversation legitimately.   It makes me a little ill.

     Thread Starter
 

12/13/2012 12:01 pm  #17


Re: Big East Catholics to announce their future plans in 24 - 48 hours.

I think this is 1995 all over again when Rutgers and WVU left. It certainly hurts the league but there should be enough left over to attract enough decent mid majors to get back to the 10 teams, reestablish the brand until it's time to expand again. Took 10 years last time. It will probably take the same this time around.

 

12/13/2012 12:06 pm  #18


Re: Big East Catholics to announce their future plans in 24 - 48 hours.

I wonder if the Catholic 7 have not already contacted Dayton, St. Louis, Xavier, Butler, and VCU about a deal.  They had to have sometime concrete before making the teleconference with the Big East Commissioner.

 

12/13/2012 12:12 pm  #19


Re: Big East Catholics to announce their future plans in 24 - 48 hours.

Aresco attempting to hold Big East Conference together.  Doesn't sound like that will happen. As per duq81's proposal: "The all-sports schools could stick together and try to add more members (particularly in the West) as a national conference, or Boise State and San Diego State could seek to simply return to the Mountain West. Everything is on the table at this point. "

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/bigeast/2012/12/13/big-east-conference-basketball-breakup-split/1766493/

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/news/20121213/big-east-basketball/

Last edited by CLK (12/13/2012 12:18 pm)

 

12/13/2012 12:31 pm  #20


Re: Big East Catholics to announce their future plans in 24 - 48 hours.

Cas, everyone thinks I'm crazy for thinking we could do a merger with the football playing schools, but this is a situation that calls for thinking outside the box. In retrospect, McGlade is looking like a genius for moving the tourney to NYC. That is our trump card for reeling in UConn and company. We can't be concerned that it might be a short term thing. Even the short term benefits would be amazing, and could allow for some of our programs to get up off of the deck. As I said earlier, Siena and George Mason will be there in 5 years if we need them. Strike a blow now. The arrogant BE7 would be stunned speechless if Bernie could pull this off.

THINK BIG!!!

 

12/13/2012 12:36 pm  #21


Re: Big East Catholics to announce their future plans in 24 - 48 hours.

What do those football schools get out of that?

They are just waiting patiently for their invite to big time football once the Big12 starts expanding.

Duquesne needs to align with like minded basketball schools, not ones with football aspirations.

 

12/13/2012 12:55 pm  #22


Re: Big East Catholics to announce their future plans in 24 - 48 hours.

The SI article I linked has enlighten me on why our chances are about the same as a snowball in Florida.  From the article:

The way the NCAA pays teams for reaching the NCAA tournament is extremely complicated. Teams aren't given a single, fat check for reaching and advancing in the NCAAs. Instead they are given units for making the NCAA tournament and more for advancing. The value of each unit is approximately $245,000, which is paid to the league over six years.

Units are a huge financial piece in the value of a basketball league. In the Big East's 2011-12 fiscal year, it received $27.3 million in NCAA tournament units (113 earned over previous six years at $242,000). In 2012-13, the league will receive even more -- $28.7 million thanks to 117 units over six years.

"The interesting point is that people focus on the TV dollars," said a Big East official. "Currently our unit dollars as a revenue stream exceed our TV revenue for basketball schools. We generate more dollars from NCAA participation."


Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/news/20121213/big-east-basketball/#ixzz2ExJVzE7Y

 

12/13/2012 12:55 pm  #23


Re: Big East Catholics to announce their future plans in 24 - 48 hours.

Dukes Dan. You asked a question on the yuku board "Does the DU community care what conference we are in?"

The clear answer to this is No. Except for the 100 or so posters to these boards, no one else cares.

Someone else said it on the other board as well. This is a pivotal moment in the legacies of Dougherty and Amodio.  It is not all there doing our situation, but they will be remembered for what happens after this.

Last edited by duqkurt (12/13/2012 1:07 pm)

     Thread Starter
 

12/13/2012 1:08 pm  #24


Re: Big East Catholics to announce their future plans in 24 - 48 hours.

There are a lot more people at X, Dayton, St. Louis, Butler, VCU that are VERY involved in the school's basketball program. They give money, go to every game, watch every game on tv, they send their kids to that school and those kids attend every game. Duquesne doesn't have that right now and needs 10 years and 4 to 5 NCAA bids to get anywhere near that.

Duquesne has very little school pride in athletics. All the alumni go around wearing their 800 dollar class rings but dont go to a single sporting event Duquesne hosts except the city game.

I unfortunately think we deserve anything we get.

I don't think their legacies will be affected by this at all because so few alumni and current students care about athletics at all.

Last edited by DukesDan (12/13/2012 1:09 pm)

 

12/13/2012 1:08 pm  #25


Re: Big East Catholics to announce their future plans in 24 - 48 hours.

DukesDan wrote:

What do those football schools get out of that?

They are just waiting patiently for their invite to big time football once the Big12 starts expanding.

Duquesne needs to align with like minded basketball schools, not ones with football aspirations.

What do they get out of it? Access to NYC each March, that's what. Major travel savings too. At a small cost, 4 games a year vs the hoops schools. UConn is going to become irrelevant playing in New Orleans. It makes so much sense, someone else has to have thought of it too. Duquesne can align with Siena and company down the road. If you get a chance to run with the big dogs, you better take it, even if it's only for 5-10 years.

 

Board footera

 

Powered by Boardhost. Create a Free Forum