Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/13/2012 1:11 pm  #26

Re: Big East Catholics to announce their future plans in 24 - 48 hours.

Well I hope Bernie can pull that off but I think it is a long shot.

12/13/2012 1:22 pm  #27

DukesDan wrote:

There are a lot more people at X, Dayton, St. Louis, Butler, VCU that are VERY involved in the school's basketball program. They give money, go to every game, watch every game on tv, they send their kids to that school and those kids attend every game. Duquesne doesn't have that right now and needs 10 years and 4 to 5 NCAA bids to get anywhere near that.

Duquesne has very little school pride in athletics. All the alumni go around wearing their 800 dollar class rings but dont go to a single sporting event Duquesne hosts except the city game.

I unfortunately think we deserve anything we get.

I don't think their legacies will be affected by this at all because so few alumni and current students care about athletics at all.

I understand your points, but the loyal 100 or so are getting far less than we deserve.  Here are the supporters that have bought tickets, donated, anguished, argued and celebrated at times. We are getting far less in return than what we have put into this.

12/13/2012 1:38 pm  #28

Agreed, the loyal fans of this program deserve a good product for all they have done to keep the program alive and support the relative resurgence.

12/13/2012 4:03 pm  #29

I sent emails to Zeise at the PG and the Trib guy asking them to please get some sort of response concerning this from DU.  No response from either person yet.

12/13/2012 4:10 pm  #30

Nice work, they probably dont even know who to call though.

12/13/2012 4:12 pm  #31

NEC

12/13/2012 4:14 pm  #32

I think that is much less likely than going to this new conference.

12/13/2012 4:22 pm  #33

DukesDan wrote:

Nice work, they probably dont even know who to call though.

Zeise would. His work is head and shoulders above what Jennifer Menendez did last year. 

I'm hoping that we can somehow land in the CAA with perhaps Richmond, URI, SBU, St. joes and LaSalle.  They would take us as a group. 

And I am praying that Dayton gets left out in the cold after reading the A10 message boards.

12/13/2012 4:28 pm  #34

I was looking at that but I think the remaining A10 teams would have more leverage and be able to poach schools from CAA, Horizon, MVC, etc.

Umass
Rhode Island
Fordham
Richmond
George Washington
LaSalle
St. Joes
St. Bona
Duquesne

Creighton
George Mason
Detroit'
Valpo
Siena
etc.

Really any mid major would want to join this group especially if not all 5 of these schools (VCU, Xavier Dayton, St. Louis, Butler) leave. The A10 can keep its position as the first step down from the BCS conferences and rival the new BE7+? conference.

If only Xavier, St. Louis and Butler get chosen the league looks pretty darn good still. Add in Creighton

Last edited by DukesDan (12/13/2012 4:30 pm)

12/13/2012 4:31 pm  #35

I just think that URI and Richmond already play CAA football and could have their arms twisted.  I don't see Creighton leaving MV for the situation listed above.   The others are all possible.

Last edited by duqkurt (12/13/2012 4:33 pm)

12/13/2012 4:33 pm  #36

I hate to say it but who will come to our defense?  If the A-10 remains then we can stay as an established member. If the A-10 folds then its every school for themselves and we are in a very very bad situation for all the reasons noted. We cant even get local macys to sell a Duq tshirt.

Last edited by Jeralta (12/13/2012 4:33 pm)

12/13/2012 4:33 pm  #37

Rhode Island doesn't care about football at all.  They suck.  Also, creighton won't join a watered down a10.  They'll stick in the MVC.  Why leave?

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

12/13/2012 4:34 pm  #38

I think there is little chance that a big public school like VCU ends up with all the small catholic schools so that helps the A10 stay relevant.

Creighton would be a long shot, yes. I don't think a Nebraska team should be in the Big East or A10!

12/13/2012 4:53 pm  #39

Simms wrote:

Rhode Island doesn't care about football at all.  They suck.  Also, creighton won't join a watered down a10.  They'll stick in the MVC.  Why leave?

I didn't say they were good in football. I said they play football in the CAA. The CAA could make a power play to force them to join for all sports.  And the CAA is not much different than the remaining A10 schools. I miss Temple already.   I wonder what will happen to Temple.

I freaking hate the Big East Catholics. Always have and this ensures the hatred lives strong.

12/13/2012 5:53 pm  #40

Done deal?

http://zagsblog.com/articles/big-east-source-no-decision-yet/

Adam Bagni†@NBC10_Adam

New "Atlantic 10" wud likely look like this: URI, La Salle, St.Joes, VCU, UMass, GW, Duquesne, Fordham, Richmond, St.Bonny, St.Louis. +adds

Last edited by CLK (12/13/2012 5:55 pm)

12/13/2012 6:30 pm  #41

CLK wrote:

Done deal?

http://zagsblog.com/articles/big-east-source-no-decision-yet/

Adam Bagni� @NBC10_Adam

New "Atlantic 10" wud likely look like this: URI, La Salle, St.Joes, VCU, UMass, GW, Duquesne, Fordham, Richmond, St.Bonny, St.Louis. +adds

I doubt SLU would stay with that group. The closest school is over 600 miles away. That would leave 10 schools. Would the league stand pat with 10? I'd be in favor of that.

12/13/2012 6:36 pm  #42

Umass will be gone soon due to their football.

Add George Mason and Siena or 2 other deserving schools (then add one more when Umass goes)  to get to 12.

12/13/2012 6:38 pm  #43

I just doubt that the Catholics would do all this and not try and decimate the A10 at the same time.  Why they wouldn't take the top 5 and go to 12 and just eliminate the competition?   Other than the fact that they are Catholic schools with fancy mission statements supposedly bases on Catholic beliefs, IMO they don't leave behind any resemblance of a strong A10 to bite them in the ass later.

12/13/2012 7:04 pm  #44

duqkurt wrote:

I just doubt that the Catholics would do all this and not try and decimate the A10 at the same time.  Why they wouldn't take the top 5 and go to 12 and just eliminate the competition?   Other than the fact that they are Catholic schools with fancy mission statements supposedly bases on Catholic beliefs, IMO they don't leave behind any resemblance of a strong A10 to bite them in the ass later.

That's what I would think. You try to weaken the competition. I figured they'd take 5, that's why I proposed the association with the football schools. Maybe it can't happen, but the A10 would be stupid not to broach the subject with UConn and company. Talk about punching back!

12/13/2012 7:06 pm  #45

I know this won't happen, but what if the A10 teams decided to stick together and not bolt.  Would the balance of power shift to the A10 as far as picking and choosing who they wanted to take?  Just wondering who the BE Cats would try to get the and what that league would look like in comparison to the A10 for TV money.I know it is a silly questions with teams like Dayton an Xavier all but out the door without looking back.

12/13/2012 7:11 pm  #46

IF the A10 stays together the A10 should get more bids than any group the BE7 puts together.

12/13/2012 7:13 pm  #47

Jim Ferry on 970 for coaches show now

12/13/2012 7:19 pm  #48

JF States: Maybe Duquesne will be invited due to consol, catholic status, and Pittsburgh location.

Also says the 7 may be invited into A10

States the administration is involved with all the talk and has it's finger on the pulse.

12/13/2012 8:02 pm  #49

I'll take it.

12/13/2012 8:14 pm  #50

Board footera