Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/13/2012 8:58 pm  #51

Re: Big East Catholics to announce their future plans in 24 - 48 hours.

AP Source: Basketball schools to cut from Big East
By RALPH D. RUSSO (AP College Football Writer) | The Associated Press

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/aresco-basketball-schools-talk-big-165621187--spt.html

12/13/2012 9:49 pm  #52

CLK wrote:

I know this won't happen, but what if the A10 teams decided to stick together and not bolt.  Would the balance of power shift to the A10 as far as picking and choosing who they wanted to take?  Just wondering who the BE Cats would try to get the and what that league would look like in comparison to the A10 for TV money.I know it is a silly questions with teams like Dayton an Xavier all but out the door without looking back.

The problem would be you could never get everyone to stick together.  Say they just offered X, Butler and St Louis.   They say no we are sticking with the A10.  So then they say fine, Dayton, Duquesne and VCU would you like to join.   Those three think "wow, they asked us" and bolt.

The middle of the A10 would them screw the top. The top of the A10 wouldn't let that happen.

12/13/2012 9:51 pm  #53

DukesDan wrote:

JF States: Maybe Duquesne will be invited due to consol, catholic status, and Pittsburgh location.

Also says the 7 may be invited into A10

States the administration is involved with all the talk and has it's finger on the pulse.

Thanks for the info. I'm glad some asked the question.

I know it might be foolish thinking but I really am just hoping that some how we get in.

Last edited by duqkurt (12/13/2012 9:53 pm)

12/13/2012 9:54 pm  #54

The word duquesne will not be uttered by the A10, BE7 or any other top half league commissioners.  We will get whatever is left. We have nothing to sell and 1970s history is ancient.  Contingencies need to include lower leagues if the A10 gets ransacked and dies.  Thats the cold hard truth.

12/13/2012 9:55 pm  #55

12/13/2012 10:12 pm  #56

I can't help but thank Nesti and Murray who put us in this position we are in tonight. 

Like Dukes Dan said earlier a small percentage of DU community even knows this is happening.  Sorry, but going back to Scott Edgar i always thought....this would be the coach to turn this around, this would be the team to win.

Just never ever happened. Sure DU basketball will go on, but this school blew 30 years worth of chances to return to prominence.

Last edited by duqkurt (12/13/2012 10:38 pm)

12/13/2012 10:21 pm  #57

Heartbreaking and you must include Father Hogan in this. He may actually be the #1 offender

12/13/2012 10:26 pm  #58

A10 will go on. Duquesne will be involved. Talk of lower conference migration is nuclear option. BE7 are so arrogant they will just take 2 or 3 A10 schools. They think the rest is trash. We will pick off 2 more good bball schools and not much will change.

12/13/2012 10:27 pm  #59

This comedy has killed wrestling and swim programs and now we may be on the outside looking in. The A10 will stay but will get much worse. Bernadette can't do it.  Our only claim to fame may be the perpetual host school for march madness.

12/13/2012 10:37 pm  #60

Jeralta wrote:

Heartbreaking and you must include Father Hogan in this. He may actually be the #1 offender

He was before my time. I guess he started the downward spiral.  It is just so sickening to
me that this is being done by the hands of other Catholic institutions.

They could have a 16 team conference, they could take less money. We could be involved.  Catholic mission my ass.

I still keep my faith privately but I am totally sick of anything labelled as Catholic. Off topic rant.  Don't mean to offend. IMO

12/13/2012 10:51 pm  #61

Everything is about money. Duq rode the A10 hog and put little money into the program while X and Dayton and others stockpiled. X will see a great return on their money. In an attempt to skimp we will pay dearly

12/14/2012 12:36 am  #62

Jeralta wrote:

Everything is about money. Duq rode the A10 hog and put little money into the program while X and Dayton and others stockpiled. X will see a great return on their money. In an attempt to skimp we will pay dearly

It's more like too little too late. We've been above average in the league in spending the last two years, and were 6th this past season. They've been spending but the long term neglect and mismanagement  is pretty clear in our complete absence from the conversation about this new league.

12/14/2012 9:48 am  #63

duqkurt wrote:

CLK wrote:

I know this won't happen, but what if the A10 teams decided to stick together and not bolt.  Would the balance of power shift to the A10 as far as picking and choosing who they wanted to take?  Just wondering who the BE Cats would try to get the and what that league would look like in comparison to the A10 for TV money.I know it is a silly questions with teams like Dayton an Xavier all but out the door without looking back.

The problem would be you could never get everyone to stick together.  Say they just offered X, Butler and St Louis.   They say no we are sticking with the A10.  So then they say fine, Dayton, Duquesne and VCU would you like to join.   Those three think "wow, they asked us" and bolt.

The middle of the A10 would them screw the top. The top of the A10 wouldn't let that happen.

I don't agree Kurt.  The B.E. wants only the marquee teams from the A-10; if X, Butler and Dayton for instance can be convinced that the long term pot of gold for a strong A-10 will be just as attractive as that of the B.E Catholics, then the B.E. schools would be in a tough situation.  It would be clear that they were rebuffed by the top A-10 schools. The perception would be that they are settling for the "second line" A-10 schools just to fill out a ten or twelve team league.  I think if the A-10 can hold the top three or four together They would have all of the bargaining power with the BE separatists; and strike a deal that would combine the Leagues into Eastern and Western brackets.  The A-10 schools have to reject the initial offer from the B. E. separatists and they will suddenly have the bargaining power to bring these 7 to the table with hat in hand.  The A-10 has a great opportunity here to shift the balance of power and set up a long-term stable super conference for the Eastern and Midwestern Basketball only schools; but the top schools need to reject the initial offers to break the A-10.  They need to understand that they are very close to getting what they want, but must be patient!

Last edited by levon1975 (12/14/2012 9:53 am)

12/14/2012 10:10 am  #64

Too late.  Xavier and Butler are out the door and/or Dayton  SLU may follow soon.

12/14/2012 10:25 am  #65

The best we could hope for would be only Xavier, Butler and St. Louis or Dayton leaving and then the A-10 adding GMU, Siena or a couple of other schools. Worst case scenario is the breakaway schools take 5-7 teams from the A-10 and also with Charlotte and Temple leaving the conference couple possibly implode or have to merge with like the CAA. To many bad administrations and apathy for Athletics at Duquesne will certainly hurt us this round of realignment.

12/14/2012 12:12 pm  #66

Yesterday I was sad about our situation.

Today I am just plain angry about the failed leadership at DU that has put us in this situation.  Right now I don't give a damn where they end up or if they beat RMU tomorrow night.  The fact that we have to talk about hopefully upsetting RMU speaks volumes about why we are in this situation. 

I guess I have to go through the five stages before I accept this crap.

12/14/2012 12:27 pm  #67

There are a lot of A10 fans who feel like they have been kicked in their cayunos today.  I just don't get the rush to the door by Xavier & Butler.  The BE7 only have two schools that were elite programs in the former Big East. One has a foot out the door, The 6 or 7 won't even get to keep the prestigous Big East name.  The A10 would be in the drivers seat if they stuck together.  I hope the Bernadett is still trying to hold it together.  It is like that scene in "It's a Wonderful Life"  Where George says: "We can get through this if we all stick together.  Don't you see?  Don't you see what's happening here?  Potters not selling he's buying.  Why because were panicking and he's not"

Last edited by CLK (12/14/2012 12:29 pm)

12/14/2012 12:54 pm  #68

CLK wrote:

I just don't get the rush to the door by Xavier & Butler.

Well I understand it.  And we would have rushed in the same manner.   But I am not sure they are buying something all that great. 

I truly think that Georgetown and Villanova would abandon ship at once if the ACC were to add them as basketball only schools.  People say that won't happen but more schools will be leaving the ACC.... that is a definite.   And they are perhaps the one conference that would add bb only schools. 

And Seton Hall, St. John's and Providence are not going to be nearly as attractive in their rented arenas when you take away the 50% of the fans from Pitt, Syracuse, and UConn that used to fill their "Rented" arenas.

I am just really angry at our administration and so sick of us being dismissed.  I truly feel like I have just thrown money away supporting this program.

12/14/2012 12:55 pm  #69

CLK wrote:

There are a lot of A10 fans who feel like they have been kicked in their cayunos today.  I just don't get the rush to the door by Xavier & Butler.

Sadly, the rush, is to get away from us. Those schools consider us, along with Fordham and LaSalle, to be anchors that are holding them back. They can't wait to be rid of us. We may not like it, but that's the truth, and is also the reason why the BE would never consider joining the A10 in it's current form.

12/14/2012 1:15 pm  #70

duq81 wrote:

CLK wrote:

There are a lot of A10 fans who feel like they have been kicked in their cayunos today.  I just don't get the rush to the door by Xavier & Butler.

Sadly, the rush, is to get away from us. Those schools consider us, along with Fordham and LaSalle, to be anchors that are holding them back. They can't wait to be rid of us. We may not like it, but that's the truth, and is also the reason why the BE would never consider joining the A10 in it's current form.

Thank you for the slap to wake me up.  I guess I am still going through the denial stage.  The legacy of Nesti and Murray lives on at Duquesne.

Last edited by CLK (12/14/2012 1:19 pm)

12/14/2012 1:25 pm  #71

You have to love how the media is rushing to cover this story for the impact on Duquesne.  LOL.

12/14/2012 1:31 pm  #72

I want to know how several posters seem to be so damn certain that Duquesne's administration - President and AD - was not looking out after Duquesne's best interest or was not keeping current with what might develop as a result of the schism within the Big East.  It seems that much of the undocumented rhetoric directed toward Amodio on this matter seems to influenced by the dislike and/or disrespect that these posters have for him because of the firing of Ron Everhart.  Frankly, I've moved on about Ron's departure.  Lets let the dust clear about which A-10 schools were invited to join with the seven Catholic schools to form the new Papal Conference before we blame Duquesne's administration for not being invited.

12/14/2012 1:48 pm  #73

I know it means basically nothing, but Amodio was the Associate AD under Xavier's current guy Mike Bobinski.  Maybe that'll help us?

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

12/14/2012 1:53 pm  #74

godukes1970 wrote:

I want to know how several posters seem to be so damn certain that Duquesne's administration - President and AD - was not looking out after Duquesne's best interest or was not keeping current with what might develop as a result of the schism within the Big East.  It seems that much of the undocumented rhetoric directed toward Amodio on this matter seems to influenced by the dislike and/or disrespect that these posters have for him because of the firing of Ron Everhart.  Frankly, I've moved on about Ron's departure.  Lets let the dust clear about which A-10 schools were invited to join with the seven Catholic schools to form the new Papal Conference before we blame Duquesne's administration for not being invited.

If you are referring to me, I am not blaming DU's current administration at all for this mess.  I didn't mention their names once beyond wondering what they were doing in the situation and wanting someone in the media to ask them what they were doing.  I am not a fan of GA but I don't think anyone is blaming him specifically in this thread.  I went back and reread my posts in the thread and others.   
If you took that from my posts, it was not intentional.    But I am angry with at everyone concerning this mess we are in.  Current people included.

If you want to read into this that I am upset about this situation because of the firing of RE, that is just plain wrong.   I have never ever once criticized the firing of RE.  I understand why that was done.

12/14/2012 4:41 pm  #75

CLK wrote:

duq81 wrote:

CLK wrote:

Thank you for the slap to wake me up.  I guess I am still going through the denial stage.  The legacy of Nesti and Murray lives on at Duquesne.

Yeah, it really sucks, especially when you don't have much ammo to fight back with. Life goes on, and I'm optimistic that the dark days will soon be over.

Board footera