Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/14/2012 4:45 pm  #76

Re: Big East Catholics to announce their future plans in 24 - 48 hours.

godukes1970 wrote:

I want to know how several posters seem to be so damn certain that Duquesne's administration - President and AD - was not looking out after Duquesne's best interest or was not keeping current with what might develop as a result of the schism within the Big East.  It seems that much of the undocumented rhetoric directed toward Amodio on this matter seems to influenced by the dislike and/or disrespect that these posters have for him because of the firing of Ron Everhart.  Frankly, I've moved on about Ron's departure.  Lets let the dust clear about which A-10 schools were invited to join with the seven Catholic schools to form the new Papal Conference before we blame Duquesne's administration for not being invited.

It's hard to force yourself into a club where you're not wanted. There are schools that have more to offer than us, that will likely be left out as well. Imagine how UConn feels. Three time National Champion, and no one wants them either.

12/14/2012 5:14 pm  #77

By LENN ROBBINS

Presidents of the Atlantic 10 conference have scheduled a meeting for next Thursday with the intent of solidifying commitments from its membership, The Post has learned

According to a person with direct knowledge of the meeting, the A-10, aware of the impending Big East split, is concerned that St. Louis, Dayton and Xavier have "one foot out the door."

A Post source also said that Creighton has been contacted by representatives of the seven Catholic schools that are leaving the Big East. Those schools are seeking to bolster a "western division" that would include DePaul, Marquette and Creighton. Duquesne has also become a program of interest.

12/14/2012 5:43 pm  #78

Very interesting reading from the Georgetown site.

http://www.hoyasaxa.com/sports/bball.htm

12/14/2012 5:44 pm  #79

duq81 wrote:

By LENN ROBBINS

Presidents of the Atlantic 10 conference have scheduled a meeting for next Thursday with the intent of solidifying commitments from its membership, The Post has learned

According to a person with direct knowledge of the meeting, the A-10, aware of the impending Big East split, is concerned that St. Louis, Dayton and Xavier have "one foot out the door."

A Post source also said that Creighton has been contacted by representatives of the seven Catholic schools that are leaving the Big East. Those schools are seeking to bolster a "western division" that would include DePaul, Marquette and Creighton. Duquesne has also become a program of interest.

This is like Mr. Toad's Wild Ride with all the twists and turns.  Come on Greg sell the future sizzel of DU. Here is the link.

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/collegesports/atlantic_calls_meeting_split_fear_SEbPDk4OGcgHjhwuNROIPO#axzz2EyQDbclQ

12/14/2012 6:09 pm  #80

CLK wrote:

duq81 wrote:

By LENN ROBBINS

This is like Mr. Toad's Wild Ride with all the twists and turns.  Come on Greg sell the future sizzel of DU. Here is the link.

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/collegesports/atlantic_calls_meeting_split_fear_SEbPDk4OGcgHjhwuNROIPO#axzz2EyQDbclQ

Our market is by far our biggest asset. If market becomes paramount, we have a chance. If quality of program rules, we're dead.

12/14/2012 7:10 pm  #81

duq81 wrote:

CLK wrote:

duq81 wrote:

By LENN ROBBINS

Our market is by far our biggest asset. If market becomes paramount, we have a chance. If quality of program rules, we're dead.

If we allow ourselves to be defined by our past, yes.  That is what I mean by selling the "program on the rise" future of Duquesne.

12/14/2012 8:11 pm  #82

Just so I am clear, 7 "Catholic" schools broke away from the Easy.  And now you ALL think they will invite VCU, Dayton, and others to join them cause ESPN said so?

So they use the catholic thing to leave, but then will ask schools that have religion like I have $1M to join?

That makes no sense to me.  Dayton?  The pit of the USA?  An awful town with nothing to do or see for miles?  VCU?  Why, cause they are in the Northeast?  So are we!  Creighton?  WTF for?  Who the heck are they?

Geez.  Stop watching conspiracy movies and listening to espn.  Free your mind fellow Dukes.

12/14/2012 8:11 pm  #83

Wow.  The first piece of semi positive news.  I do know this for a fact from the work I used to do.

ESPN does not care about DUs ratings in Pittsburgh. They care about telling advertisers that their commercials will be shown in XX millions of households.

They are not selling DU vs Providence.  They are selling Georgetown Vs Villanova to the greatest number of people possible.  They are selling their marquis match ups to the greatest number of people possible.

The university of Pitt has established these schools and they are well known in the Pittsburgh market. That is why DU popularity may be secondary to the fact they would like to keep the presence in the market.

Last edited by duqkurt (12/14/2012 9:12 pm)

12/14/2012 9:17 pm  #84

townsonkid wrote:

Just so I am clear, 7 "Catholic" schools broke away from the Easy.  And now you ALL think they will invite VCU, Dayton, and others to join them cause ESPN said so?

So they use the catholic thing to leave, but then will ask schools that have religion like I have $1M to join?

That makes no sense to me.  Dayton?  The pit of the USA?  An awful town with nothing to do or see for miles?  VCU?  Why, cause they are in the Northeast?  So are we!  Creighton?  WTF for?  Who the heck are they?

Geez.  Stop watching conspiracy movies and listening to espn.  Free your mind fellow Dukes.

Creighton won't affect us one way or the other. If they go to 12, they need 6 midwestern schools. It will be Marquette, DePaul, Xavier, and 3 out of Creighton, Butler, Dayton, and St. Louis.  Duquesne will be up against the 2 Richmond schools for the last spot in the east. Why VCU? If you didn't notice, they made a recent trip to the Final Four. The new league is losing monster powerhouses in Syracuse, and Louisville, as well as tourney regulars in Pitt, ND, WVU, and Cincy.  They need teams that the public has heard of. That's why VCU is attractive. That's why they might beat out Richmond. We need to draw a big crowd when they come to the Consol, to show what we're capable of. Be assured that if we are lucky enough to get in, we won't be permitted to play many league games in Palumbo.

12/14/2012 10:11 pm  #85

Don't you think this will be decided long before the VCU - DU game.  I think it could be over as soon as they announced their departure officially.

12/14/2012 10:31 pm  #86

We shouldbe forced to sell 10,000 season tix at the consol before getting an invite to the BE

12/14/2012 10:46 pm  #87

Jeralta wrote:

We shouldbe forced to sell 10,000 season tix at the consol before getting an invite to the BE

Considering that only Marquette and Gtown of the BE7 averaged over 10k in attendance last year I don't see why.

We get it.  You want us in the NEC. I prefer to take the approach of CLK and sell what we can be.

12/15/2012 8:32 am  #88

Another article by the Post mentioning Duquesne. 

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/college/basketball/confirming_their_resolve_ZiCrdw9tUhEMDNv2ajRbTM

One of you guys smarter than me can answer this. I am just wondering why they wouldn't go to a 14 or 16 team league with two divisions, east and west.  Probably the additional TV revenue would not be enough.

12/15/2012 8:38 am  #89

Those of you who follow Muddy on the A10 board know he is a "Character", but this post by him caught my attention for what it is worth.

Muddy's Observations:

(1) It now appears that Dayton, Saint Louis, and Xavier are locks for invitations to the New Big East.

(2) Five schools - Butler, Creighton, Duquesne, St. Mary’s, and Gonzaga - are in contention for the remaining two spots in the New Big East.

(3) Duquesne may be the favorite for the fourth team to get an invitation.

(4) Duquesne is the best 'fit' for the two-Division conference in terms of geography, shared past history going back more than 80 years, and culturally.

East Division

Duquesne ?
Georgetown
Providence
Seton Hall
St. John's
Villanova

West Division

Butler, Creighton, St. Mary’s, or Gonzaga ?
Dayton
DePaul
Marquette
Saint Louis
Xavier

. . but Duquesne presently has the weakest basketball program of any of the schools being considered by the BE7.

(5) If Duquesne does not get an invitaion, the remaining two invitations will go to two schools that are a geographic fit for the West Division, which already has 5 schools.

(6) If If Duquesne does not get an invitaion, then Dayton or Xavier would have to be moved to the East Division, but no one would want Dayton and Xavier in different Divisions.

(7) So then DePaul would have to be moved to the East Division, but neither they nor Marquette would want that.

(8) So giving the fourth invitation to Duquesne solves a lot of problems for the 12-team, two-Division conference.

(9) The fifth and final invitation will likely go to Butler or Creighton, both of whom have excellent basketball programs.

(10) Butler is by far the best geographic fit, but it would be the only non-Catholic school in a 12-school conference.

(11) Creighton is a Catholic school that averages well over 16,000 per game attendance, but it is in Nebraska.

(12) Thursday's meeting of the Atlantic 10 Presidents is not going to stop Butler, Dayton, Duquesne, Saint Louis, and Xavier from bolting if/when they receive invitations from the BE7.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Last edited by CLK (12/15/2012 8:39 am)

12/15/2012 9:17 am  #90

If Duquesne stays with an Atlantic 10 of 8 or 9 teams, it will not disappoint me.  Duquesne would play everyone home and home.  There would be a good mix of Catholic and private schools, and URI.  As a Catholic, I never want to segregate ourselves into one league. Alot of people don't like Catholics.  It would be like going back to 1960 when Duquesne played Catholics, except for Pitt.  Also, when Catholic schools go up against state schools, the state schools seem to have an air of confidence that they will win.  If Duquesne stays in a smaller Atlantic 10, there are bound to be OOC games against this Catholic conference so that old rivalies, such as Dayton-Duquesne, can be continued.  I prefer to stay with the old jalopy.

12/15/2012 9:23 am  #91

One other thing, the Atlantic 10 will still have its conference championship in Brooklyn.  That will get the league much more attention than in the past.  It is something to look forward to.

12/15/2012 9:30 am  #92

Well coming from Muddy it has to be discounted because about the only thing he knows is how to insult people and color code/link/quote message board posts.

On the positive side the article is from the NY Post who has no vested interest in DU and really it goes along with the positives DU has:
1. A return of the Big East to Pittsburgh
2. The Consol Center (mislabeled as the Power Center) in the article. (The school most certainly has told BE officials that they will play conference home games there. A giant step up in committment)
3. We have a long standing relationship with most of these Catholic schools.

I think that the way things are happening we will know sooner rather than later. If this happens I will gladly eat every word I ever said about GA and go back to buying my season tickets.

It is a far thing from occurring, but I can't understand how any DU basketball fan would not be in favor of this.

12/15/2012 9:32 am  #93

If we are fortunate enough to get an invitation we go.

12/15/2012 9:35 am  #94

CLK wrote:

Another article by the Post mentioning Duquesne. 

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/college/basketball/confirming_their_resolve_ZiCrdw9tUhEMDNv2ajRbTM

One of you guys smarter than me can answer this. I am just wondering why they wouldn't go to a 14 or 16 team league with two divisions, east and west.  Probably the additional TV revenue would not be enough.

I would say that the model that worked the most for the Big East in its hey day was I believe this configuration.

BC
Syracuse
Pitt
Uconn
Gtown
Providence
SJU
SHU
VU

And they would try to stick as close to that number as possible.

12/15/2012 10:45 am  #95

I believe we will be invited to join the league with the Big East 7.

I think we will see a Catholic schools only league.  I do not believe Butler, VCU or any other public or private non-Catholic school will be involved.

The reasons I believe we'll be invited are the following.

Primarily it will be due to the fact that this league, whatever it is called (and I believe it will be the Big East), will want to be in the Pittsburgh market for its television contract. 

Secondly it will be due to recruiting.  By this I mean the recruiting of regular students to attend the schools in the league.  Catholic universities need students who pay tuition.  Pittsburgh is a heavily Catholic area.  Each of the schools that is already in this league recruits regular students from the Diocese of Pittsburgh and the Diocese of Greensburg, especially Georgetown and Villanova.  Xavier and especially Dayton get many students from western Pennsylvania and both are expected to be invited to the new league.  And although the WPIAL and the City League aren't basketball powerhouses you can bet that the coaches in the league would like a recruiting presence in Pittsburgh as well.

Add these to the common missions of the universities involved, facilities and financial resources that fit with the other schools involved and a program that has shown improvement and a desire to continue that improvement and I believe we will be extended an invitation.

But that doesn't mean I would endorse immediately accepting such an invitation.

In the long run we may be better off staying put with the A-10.

We would need to do due diligence and look at the long term prospects for both leagues and decide what to do after careful consideration.

I do think we would eventually accept such an invitation and I think we'll see a 12 team league as follows:

East
Providence
St. John's
Seton Hall
Villanova
Georgetown
Duquesne

West
DePaul
Marquette
Dayton
Xavier
Detroit
St. Louis

Whether this league will be superior to what ends up being the A-10 is open for debate.

12/15/2012 10:57 am  #96

Should the newly formed conference have 12 members and the name "Big East" is not available, perhaps a totally new name reflecting the religious heritage of the members could be considered.  How 'bout the Apostolic 12?  OK, the A-12 for short.

Last edited by godukes1970 (12/15/2012 10:58 am)

12/15/2012 11:12 am  #97

The key is 12 teams. At 12 teams we have a chance. At 9 or 10 we have no chance, but the A10 would remain pretty good, so it wouldn't be nearly as much of a blow.

12/15/2012 11:32 am  #98

I think it will be twelve as that would maximize revenue.

I would also have to think that the top 2 finishers in each division would be pretty much locks for at large bids given recent history with a fifth or even a sixth bid being in play from year to year.  That's given today's situation, of course.  That could change quickly after the league was going for a few years.

12/15/2012 11:36 am  #99

Twelve also makes sense as you would think that they'd want to weaken the A10 as much as they can. If they only took say, X, SLU, and Butler, that would still leave the A10 pretty strong, a 2-3 bid league most years, and maybe better, as UMass, URI, LaSalle, and the Dukes appear to be on the rise. If they only took those teams, Dayton would need a new partner in the west. I'd think either Detroit, or more likely, Cleveland St. (better facilities, and closer to the rest of the league). That would give us a nice 12 team league, with two divisions.

Dukes
Dayton
Cleve St.
Bona
VCU
Richmond

St. Joe's
LaSalle,
Fordham
URI
UMass
GW

Not the greatest league in the world, but one in which we would fit very well. If UMass eventually left, add George Mason to give GW a local division rival. If somehow the took Creighton instead of Butler, then they would remain in the league, with no need to add Cleveland. St, and the league would really be strong. If that were the case, I'd switch the Philly schools with the Richmond schools, otherwise the divisions would be unbalanced qualitywise. No need to add any other schools, as most of what's out there would bring little to the table.

Last edited by duq81 (12/15/2012 11:51 am)

12/15/2012 12:14 pm  #100

VBC just curious why Detroit would get in over Creighton.  I have not seen their name in the mix before.

Board footera