Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/15/2012 12:49 pm  #101

Re: Big East Catholics to announce their future plans in 24 - 48 hours.

CLK wrote:

VBC just curious why Detroit would get in over Creighton.  I have not seen their name in the mix before.

Just speculation on my part, CLK.

I'm thinking the Detroit market and Catholic affilation would get the invitation.

Given today's state of affairs I would rather see Creighton in the league but I think it will be a close call for them, as it may be for Duquesne or any other school involved, as to whether to join this league.  Since I'm looking at it as a 50-50 proposistion for Creighton I thought I'd go with Detroit in my guess for the league's final look. 

And let's not be so sure St. Louis would join.  They may decide that the MVC is a better fit for them if that is an option as I'm thinking it would be.

What we've seen in the press so far is from the viewpoints of sports writers and athletic department personnel.  The final decisions will be made by college presidents and boards whose view of things is not as basketball-centric as yours, mine or the other folks on this board or those running and reporting on basketball programs.

The coin is far from done flipping on this whole mess.

12/15/2012 1:05 pm  #102

While you know I respect your opinion, I disagree on it being a difficult decison to go especially if  Xavier, Dayton, SLU and possibly Butler or Creighton agree to go.  I agree this all up in the air right now and a lot of speculation, but IMHO it is a very easy decision if we are fortunate enough to be asked along with the teams mentioned.  The A10 would be a much weaken league, and the difference in potential revenue per member per league  would be like hitting the lotto.

12/15/2012 1:15 pm  #103

CLK wrote:

VBC just curious why Detroit would get in over Creighton.  I have not seen their name in the mix before.

Detroit is not in the mix. Creighton is because of the quality of their program, and the tremendous fan support they get. Detroit = LaSalle.

12/15/2012 3:44 pm  #104

It is official.  Big East Catholics have left. 

So I guess by leaving they have given up Big East name. There was no dissolution of conference.

A10 schools are meeting Thursday.

I expect we will know DU's fate by Thursday in regards to the new conference.

12/16/2012 9:05 pm  #105

In this Yahoo article it states the Big East name is still being negotiated.  My read is that they are going to take their time in shaping this new league.  It will be interesting to hear what comes out of the A10 meeting on Thursday.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/unified-basketball-schools-continue-plot-233613294--ncaab.html

12/16/2012 9:17 pm  #106

Not looking good. Gonzaga and st mary's added to the speculation.  No one but us is mentioning duquesne you realize this right?

12/16/2012 9:24 pm  #107

...and the New York Post

12/16/2012 9:43 pm  #108

Jeralta wrote:

Not looking good. Gonzaga and st mary's added to the speculation.  No one but us is mentioning duquesne you realize this right?

All of this is speculation at this point.  As Dukes Dan said the NY Post has mentioned as a school of interest by the BE7.

12/17/2012 5:58 pm  #109

If we get an invite to join the BE7/Catholic league, will this translate into a resurgence at the box office even if league play doesn't start for a few years?  I think it will certainly do this.  I also know that CD makes it a point every public appearance to push the academic comparisons to top tier Catholic universities.  To this end he may sell his left arm to have us join a prestigious league. 

Beyond CD and GA, i really think the real arm twisting will be between the top Fathers of these institutions.  It might be Hogan that gets recruited for low key talks. 

Regardless, I wonder how the DU Board will respond.

http://www.duq.edu/about/administration/board-of-directors

12/17/2012 9:01 pm  #110

Per Andy Katz blog

2. Xavier is the obvious team to be coveted by the departing seven Catholic schools. The A-10 can’t afford to lose its marquee program. But the league certainly can’t stand to lose Butler, either. The Bulldogs were a major coup for the A-10 and losing Xavier and Butler would be a crushing blow to the A-10’s future. Saving one will be critical for the conference. VCU could end up being just as important but it doesn’t seem to be as obvious a choice for the Big East departures. The one school that stands to benefit from these moves is Richmond. If the Spiders aren’t seen as a viable choice for the seven and Xavier and/or Butler are poached, Richmond could emerge as the A-10’s elite team with a natural rival contender in VCU. Having a VCU-Richmond anchor in the A-10 would be good theater, and would add a built-in rivalry to the market.

3. The old Big East should make a move to add UMass as an all-sports member. The Minutemen are upgrading football and would fit in the footprint for all sports quite nicely. UConn and Temple are suddenly going to be a bit lonely in the Northeast and could use another team for all sports. The A-10 can afford to lose the Minutemen as long as it doesn’t see the all of the others depart, too. The Minutemen are improving in basketball and can definitely compete with what the Big East would look like in 2015. Cincinnati coach Mick Cronin finally blew off some steam over the weekend in discussing the failings of re-alignment. But if this were to stay as currently projected in 2015, the Bearcats could/should be the premier program in the new Big East.

12/17/2012 9:12 pm  #111

Katz is also reporting that Butler president is quoted that Butler will do what is right for Butler.  So they are gone.
X is gone.

I haven't heard talk of the Richmond schools at all.  And Katz is hinting at that above. 

If they go to 12, you have Marquette, DePaul, X and Butler in the West.  With apparently two slots to fill. And one spot to fill in the East.

If they were to announce Creighton (Bradley reporter aside) and conventional wisdom has St Louis and Dayton going..... well we are out.

Last edited by duqkurt (12/17/2012 9:21 pm)

12/17/2012 9:41 pm  #112

Worst case we stay in the A10 and then A10 picks off a few schools, right?

12/17/2012 9:58 pm  #113

Jeralta wrote:

Worst case we stay in the A10 and then A10 picks off a few schools, right?

If 5 go, pick up George Mason, and it's a 10 team league again.

Board footera