Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/11/2015 10:52 am  #1

What are you teaching your team Coach Ferry?

He ends the post-game conference by walking out on the media
He ends the post-game conference with the radio folks after a brief minute and leaves

I was at the game as were others. It was a foul. In fact, there were other calls during the game that were missed or called that were bad Both Ways.

Has he lost control of the overall situation since yes it was close and yes the kids played hard but there are no Nice Job You Tried victories!  This is supposed to be major college basketball. He lost again.

Is the AD feeling the heat that he hired him and putting pressure on him now that this  program is now a bottom one?  The comments of the RI coach were actually humorous. Read between the lines when he says He told his team that DU is playing better now!  Some will say here that Ferry showed his passion. Some here may say that "No Big Deal What he did."  I say it was another, and I mean another example of him blaming something or someone else for the loss.   The excuses have been they need to learn how to lose (Announcers but where did they get it), they are young, and now it was the referees. I don't envy his job and I wouldn't want it.  But he is having extreme difficulty. That game is either going to make him a better coach or it will destroy this program for the rest of the year.

1/11/2015 11:40 am  #2

Re: What are you teaching your team Coach Ferry?

It is nice to see that Hurley said "That is hard to come into a place that hit rock bottom."   

Does he mean it hard to play as a visiting team here (it is hardly very difficult to win as a visitor at AJP) or that it is hard to coach here?

Lovely  to see other coaches saying that.....whatever his intention.

Sorry but  I didn't think we were at rock bottom when Ferry got here.  We are now. 

Ferry is definitely putting his mark on the program.

1/11/2015 11:50 am  #3

FAM - I didn't hear the post game show, but it sounds like coach Ferry was just being human.  t was a close call and from his angle and point of view it was BS call. While I won't fault him for being human, I thought he was out coached in the second half, particularly in the last four minutes. 

Kurt - I find Hurley obnoxious.  He should of had more than 1 T with his antics.  By the way didn't Ferry beat him last year at URI?

Last edited by CLK (1/11/2015 11:52 am)

1/11/2015 12:09 pm  #4

I think he is changing the conversation from "we blew a 13 point second half lead" to "that call cost us the game." Not a bad ploy from the perspective of trying to maintain some confidence in his kids, though it sounds petty to everyone on the outside.

Just get better and start winning.

Please

1/11/2015 2:20 pm  #5

rosceaux, I tend to agree...CLK, I also agree that he was being human, but what he did is not as often as it could be and I am tired of his constant excuses.  BTW, the RI coach is extremely obnoxious and yes, Ferry did get out coached again in the second half.

Last edited by FAM (1/11/2015 2:21 pm)

1/11/2015 4:47 pm  #6

Looks like Ferry knows the end is near for him, and is starting to lose it.

1/11/2015 4:59 pm  #7

Insanity: "Doing the Same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Hasn't everyone figured it out after 30 years of blaming coaches and firing them.

It is our beloved university that does not get how to be successful in men's basketball.

1/11/2015 5:16 pm  #8

He should be pissed off. There's only a few games that the Dukes can win in conference realistically. And having an extra WIn in the W column looks a lot better obviously.  I wouldn't say he get out coached either. RI was clearly the better team. EC Matthews is an NBA player. Basketball is a game of runs and RI made the last run. I think this was the best game Duquesne played all year. It was nice to get a father hogan bobble head but he and the big wigs in old main are ruining the program. Maybe hogan can divorce the basketball program before he retires BC it's not gonna change until the univeristy admin's see what is wrong with the program.  How do you expect to get players to come to DUQ and compete in one of the best conferences when you play in a 70 year old arena and are one of the few teams in the league that doesnt have a TV contract along with 100 other reasons. WAKE UP PPL

1/11/2015 5:19 pm  #9

Dukesfan, I agree they should have figured that out when they had Ron.  Our beloved AD however wanted a big time coach that could get us to the next level.  Don't get me wrong, I am not saying Ferry should be fired.  He should be given at least another year to show that he can get us there.  However, if this team crashes and burns this season (which I hope does not happen), I do not think next year will be any different with esentially the same team back, and I do think a change of AD would be in order.

Last edited by CLK (1/11/2015 5:20 pm)

1/11/2015 5:25 pm  #10

Steel city AJ wrote:

He should be pissed off. There's only a few games that the Dukes can win in conference realistically. And having an extra WIn in the W column looks a lot better obviously. I wouldn't say he get out coached either. RI was clearly the better team. EC Matthews is an NBA player. Basketball is a game of runs and RI made the last run. I think this was the best game Duquesne played all year. It was nice to get a father hogan bobble head but he and the big wigs in old main are ruining the program. Maybe hogan can divorce the basketball program before he retires BC it's not gonna change until the univeristy admin's see what is wrong with the program. How do you expect to get players to come to DUQ and compete in one of the best conferences when you play in a 70 year old arena and are one of the few teams in the league that doesnt have a TV contract along with 100 other reasons. WAKE UP PPL

Wait, What? 

1/11/2015 5:52 pm  #11

CLK wrote:

Steel city AJ wrote:

He should be pissed off. There's only a few games that the Dukes can win in conference realistically. And having an extra WIn in the W column looks a lot better obviously. I wouldn't say he get out coached either. RI was clearly the better team. EC Matthews is an NBA player. Basketball is a game of runs and RI made the last run. I think this was the best game Duquesne played all year. It was nice to get a father hogan bobble head but he and the big wigs in old main are ruining the program. Maybe hogan can divorce the basketball program before he retires BC it's not gonna change until the univeristy admin's see what is wrong with the program. How do you expect to get players to come to DUQ and compete in one of the best conferences when you play in a 70 year old arena and are one of the few teams in the league that doesnt have a TV contract along with 100 other reasons. WAKE UP PPL

Wait, What? 

As much as we all love to blame the ferry and GA for ruining the program, realize who is actually ruining the program.  How do we get a good player  to come to Duquesne and take us in the right direction when they would pick every other A10 school over us... Maybe besides Bonaventure. Bonaventure isn't that good and they still put 3500 in the stands every game. What player wants to play infront of a crowd of 1000 people. Go check out all the a10  schools websites and look at there basketball facilities and every school has something new besides us and bonaventure. Need to spend $$$$$$$$$$$$$. Davidson who played in the SOCON has a brand new facility. UMASS and dayton  just built a brand new practice facility. How do you "compete" with what they have. Go check out the websites and you will be amused.  And I dont think painting those bleachers counts as an "upgrade" LOL

1/11/2015 6:01 pm  #12

CLK wrote:

Dukesfan, I agree they should have figured that out when they had Ron.  Our beloved AD however wanted a big time coach that could get us to the next level.  Don't get me wrong, I am not saying Ferry should be fired.  He should be given at least another year to show that he can get us there.  However, if this team crashes and burns this season (which I hope does not happen), I do not think next year will be any different with esentially the same team back, and I do think a change of AD would be in order.

I dont necessarily agree with this comment about next year being the same team. You are adding in 2 high impact transfers, one of which could replace the ineffective Jeremiah Jones.  You also are adding a PG, something we are drastically missing right now. Add in another year of experience for everyone and I dont see the same team at all.  Plus, if Sanders is solid then you have that also.

For everyone ripping Ferry or Robinson, just relax. The kid hasn't played in forever and is struggling after 10 games. He isn't going to be a stud right away. He may never be a stud. But he can still be good. The kid deserves time to develop past midway through his FR season.

As far as the hype for Robinson, Jon Rothstein is a bumbling fool. He has no idea what he is talking about about any player.

1/11/2015 6:02 pm  #13

FAM wrote:

He ends the post-game conference by walking out on the media
He ends the post-game conference with the radio folks after a brief minute and leaves

I was at the game as were others. It was a foul. In fact, there were other calls during the game that were missed or called that were bad Both Ways.

Has he lost control of the overall situation since yes it was close and yes the kids played hard but there are no Nice Job You Tried victories!  This is supposed to be major college basketball. He lost again.

Is the AD feeling the heat that he hired him and putting pressure on him now that this  program is now a bottom one?  The comments of the RI coach were actually humorous. Read between the lines when he says He told his team that DU is playing better now!  Some will say here that Ferry showed his passion. Some here may say that "No Big Deal What he did."  I say it was another, and I mean another example of him blaming something or someone else for the loss.   The excuses have been they need to learn how to lose (Announcers but where did they get it), they are young, and now it was the referees. I don't envy his job and I wouldn't want it.  But he is having extreme difficulty. That game is either going to make him a better coach or it will destroy this program for the rest of the year.

Even if he thought that was a foul, he has to stick up for JJ.  If not, you people would be ripping him for ripping Jeremiah.

1/11/2015 6:20 pm  #14

Al, I was confused by your comment about DU having its own TV contact.  The national TV contract is negotiated by the league,  I do not think a local feed has any impact on recruiting unless we are talking WPa  recruits.  I agree that more needs to be done with facilities. 

Last edited by CLK (1/11/2015 6:23 pm)

1/11/2015 6:31 pm  #15

WEB, that is why I said Ferry should be given at least another year to prove he can move us to be competitive.  I hope you are right about the "impact transfers" but I have seen this wait till next year movie before.  I am not buying into any more hype of players that I have not seen with my own eyes.  Castro did not distinguish himself at Butler, and Jackson & Sanders will both be first year players.  The same core of players will be back.  Finish strong this year then maybe I'll regain my hope that we can eventually get to the next level. 

Last edited by CLK (1/11/2015 6:32 pm)

1/12/2015 7:46 pm  #16

We have all seen the "Wait to Next Year" in more years than not!

1/13/2015 10:05 am  #17

"I think we all learn lessons through our coaching career, and if you start making excuses, players respond and use excuses," Meyer said.  

Hopefully our head coach and AD read this from the man who just won a National Championship.

1/13/2015 2:54 pm  #18

CLK / FAM I know what I'm about to propose may seem crazy to many but I hope you understand. I believe that based upon the schedule that was put together and with the distribution of playing time early on Ferry thought he  could win a decent enough amount of games to show progress but that the plan was to really blow the doors off next year. In no way I'm I saying this season was being written off but I do believe it was the final block so to speak in the building process. That is why I think the heat is now on and the playing time has shrunk to a questionable level. I know rogabee sited RE playing time but as I also recall his teams running out of gas down the stretch. One of his players told me first hand that they had no legs left. Other than the unbelievable run RE orchestrated with AJAX his teams lost 6/8 I believe in his last 3 seasons. Hidden in the we are young talk all along has been a wait till next year agenda just no one thought it would be this bad including IMHO the administration.

Last edited by The Dome (1/13/2015 2:55 pm)

1/13/2015 5:38 pm  #19

Mulder wrote:

This is not meant to slight anybody's post here but after reading them all as well as the ones in other threads and on the other board (and maybe I'll post this there too) I wonder what is right.  By that I mean, there is always a lot of speculation on what the intent is of the soft schedule, who plays/who doesn't, what the coach is preparing for, etc. and I often wonder how much of this is wishful thinking, speculation or someone actually in the know imparting information. 

Now again I'm not trying to insult anyone - I realize this is a message board and thoughts and opinions are welcome and I'm not trying to criticize - seriously.  I do this sometimes in my own life, wondering, for example, what I did wrong that didn't get me a certain job or removed me from something I loved to do, or caused me to get dumped in a relationship (that happened a lot as you might suspect) etc. and just never get an answer.  So many of you seem sure about what is going on at Duquesne that I often wonder if I'm reading thoughts from someone who really has some knowledge or is just throwing in their 2 cents.  

I'm not going to belabor this and no one has to answer really.  Just things I'd like to know and again this is not criticism, sarcasm, or anything negative.

Mulder my friend you answered your own question.  Opinions, speculation and subsequent discussion is welcome on this board. Opinions do not need to be validated or justified by posters disclosing relationships or identity.

I must have missed where you posted this on the other board. :-)

Last edited by CLK (1/13/2015 6:28 pm)

1/13/2015 5:53 pm  #20

The Dome wrote:

CLK / FAM I know what I'm about to propose may seem crazy to many but I hope you understand. I believe that based upon the schedule that was put together and with the distribution of playing time early on Ferry thought he could win a decent enough amount of games to show progress but that the plan was to really blow the doors off next year. In no way I'm I saying this season was being written off but I do believe it was the final block so to speak in the building process. That is why I think the heat is now on and the playing time has shrunk to a questionable level. I know rogabee sited RE playing time but as I also recall his teams running out of gas down the stretch. One of his players told me first hand that they had no legs left. Other than the unbelievable run RE orchestrated with AJAX his teams lost 6/8 I believe in his last 3 seasons. Hidden in the we are young talk all along has been a wait till next year agenda just no one thought it would be this bad including IMHO the administration.

Dome, I am speculating (which is ok on this board) that the scheule was in fact designed specifically to show progress.  Unfortunately we threw up on the cupcakes.  I don't think there were many who thought we would come out with a losing OOC record.  The preseason hype from some led to 9-2 predictions.  As far as the reduction in playing time I believe that Coach Ferry is going with what he believes will give the team the best chance to win.  Some like me & you think that (like what happened in the last 4 minutes in the URi game) he still does not have the formula right yet and perhaps a fresh Robinson or Powell may have been better than an exhausted Lewis down the stretch, and maybe he should have gone offense / defense with Stevens coming in for Jones.

1/13/2015 7:07 pm  #21

Folks do schedule easier teams at the beginning of the year...unfortunately they were better than us and Ferry is failing.  He is now into league play and the competition is much more difficult.  He, like the current AD is a big disappointment.

Board footera