Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/11/2015 2:14 pm  #1

Jordan Robinson

I thought this was worth its own thread.  I seriously have to question what is going on with Robinson.  When he was recruited he was hailed as a major "get" for Duquesne.  People that saw him play in the summer league said he could be a 10 - 8 guy.  Jim Ferry was very upbeat in discussing him in the media day and early practices.  He started earlier in the year, but his role has been significantly reduce and did not received any minutes in the last two games.  While most of us would agree that his early performance did not live up to the hype, yet he has a big body and size to bang inside. I would think that Ferry would want to give him experience and develop him as he still has three years left.  Yet it feels to me that he is freezing him out.  I hope that is not the case.  He "ran off" Canadians Marvin Binney, and  Isaiah Watkin.  If Robinson is pushed out it could hurt DU's ability to recruit Canadian players (of which there are a couple future targets).  Maybe I am way off base here, but I do not understand his lack of minutes.  Lewis was clearly running out of gas down the stretch yesterday.  If Powell was not able to bang with the URI bigs why not sub Robinson?  I think next spring could see another exodus of players.  Ridenour seems more and more to be the odd guy out, I would hate to see Robinson and Gill get discouraged and leave as well.  Any thoughts?

1/11/2015 2:43 pm  #2

Re: Jordan Robinson

Makes no sense to me. Yet Jones plays, and plays, and plays.

1/11/2015 3:12 pm  #3

Robinson had more than enough chance as he was starting earlier in the season. He easily looked like the worst defender on the team and did not rebound well.

Haven't we all learned from off season hype that the truth comes out when the games are played? Jon Rothstein and anyone else hyping him up had no way of ever seen him play before since he was not allowed to practice last year.

Lewis is significantly bigger and although a work in progress offensively does a way better job protecting the basket in the zone.

1/11/2015 4:02 pm  #4

Dukes Fan sorry I need to disagree Robinson was hardly given a chance when compared with Gill, Lewis and Jones. He is not a center but like Powell was being asked to play one. I will ask once again tell me why a front line of Powell, McKoy and Robinson is unworkable. I'm missing something I guess because when I'm watching we are consistently out rebounded, struggle to score and insist on playing a 2/3 zone that I think with length on the wings would be a heck of a lot more successful. Robinson is shooting 68% from the field. He has played a grand total of 105 minutes in comparison to Powell 252, JJones 369, D McKoy 261, D Lewis 168, LG Gill 270. Not one of those players has done enough IMHO to distinguish themselves from Robinson. And by the way are we winning with what we are playing with.

Last edited by The Dome (1/11/2015 4:02 pm)

1/11/2015 4:18 pm  #5

Robinson is without a doubt a center. He cannot dribble or pass and does not possess any skills that would suggest that he is anything but a center. He has a chance to improve and get better and unfortunately for him there were unwarranted pressures and hype placed on a kid who had never practiced until this year.

Neither Powell or McKoy can shoot from three or drive against opposing 3 men which in turn makes them both forwards and not small forwards. That is not even talking into account how they would do defensively. St. Joe's for example plays Bembry at that position and URI plays Terrell and Matthews.

The last two games against St Joe's and URI have been by far the most competitive games the team had played this season. Hard not to think that has something to do with shortening the lineup and playing less players. Funny that everyone had an issue with Ferry playing too many players and now the Dukes were one foul away from being 2-1 in the A10. Who would have ever thought that was possible three weeks ago?

Also, anyone think that URI's comeback have anything to do with their talent level and the fact hah they are 11-3 and reviving top 25 votes? Anyone who did not think they were going to come back in that game is very misinformed.

1/11/2015 4:26 pm  #6

jordan looked to have his wrist/thumb wrapped/taped yesterday. not sure if he has a minor injury, etc.

i liked what i saw from JR early on, but he did sort of look rusty and out of place/postion alot. however, im also of the belief that you only get better and knock the rust off by playing...

in fairness to him, he also has said pretty lofty expectations placed on him. expectations that we all bought into(myself included-sight unseen) bc of the summer league reports and rothsteins article.

i guess the best thing for someone to do is ask ferry on a radio show or someone from the media ask him:
"why isnt robinson playing?"

i like the potential of JR, Powell, and Lewis and think all of them just need to continue to get experience.
Rhodes seems like a very good big guy coach, as he was worked nothing short of a miracle with lewis at this point. (still has a long way to go, but its nice to see someone on this team improving)

but for gods sake, these guys need to hit the weight room, and hit it hard. I would also recommend these guys take some sort of mma training or something to toughen up too.

did anyone else notice how 'jacked' and 'ripped' the whole rhode island team was? those guys were 'men'
when your bigs are getting outrebounded as bad as ours are, you are either getting out hustled or out muscled. yesterday, we def got out-muscled by martin.

1/11/2015 5:09 pm  #7

DukesFan79 wrote:

Robinson had more than enough chance as he was starting earlier in the season. He easily looked like the worst defender on the team and did not rebound well.

Haven't we all learned from off season hype that the truth comes out when the games are played? Jon Rothstein and anyone else hyping him up had no way of ever seen him play before since he was not allowed to practice last year.

Lewis is significantly bigger and although a work in progress offensively does a way better job protecting the basket in the zone.

You lost me.  Are you saying that Robinson should not get any minutes?  While I agree he looked lost on the court early, and did not rebound effectively, I think there is talent there.  I think it is on the coaches to coach him up and develop him.

1/11/2015 8:33 pm  #8

CLK wrote:

You lost me.  Are you saying that Robinson should not get any minutes?  While I agree he looked lost on the court early, and did not rebound effectively, I think there is talent there.  I think it is on the coaches to coach him up and develop him.

There is the question...do you do what's best for the current team and play McKoy 33-35 minutes or do you try to develop Robinson now?  Lewis and Powell both earned his minutes in my opinion, and there's not many others left to go around unless you want him to eat into McKoy's or slash Gill's current 10 per game.

1/11/2015 9:40 pm  #9

roagabee, I guess the key to the answer to that question is where do project Gill to play.  To me Lewis and Robinson are 5s, and Powell and McKoy are 4s.  Gill is neither although he has been used by Ferry at both positions.  Over 50% of Gills shots are three point shots.  Not what you want to see from a 5 or 4.  To me Gill should be eating into Jone's minutes, but I understand his defense ball handling is a problem.  But when I see Jones standing wide open in the wing passing up three point looks I can't help but think Gill would be a real asset if he can work on those aspects of his game.  I am no expert, and could be very wrong, but I do not see much of a future for him as a 4 or 5, and would like to see him developed as a 3, and Robinson developed at the 5.  I see potential in both of these guys.  I do not want to see either of these players pushed out the door.

1/11/2015 10:05 pm  #10

Rogabee where is this team going? I agree with shortening the bench but how long can the top 4 play 30-35 minutes every night. And really what have we gotten from our forwards and center position that make any of them untouchable. Saturday those players gave us 20 points, and 17 rebounds. Other than Micah's hoop I'm not sure we scored another basket in the final 5 minutes. Powell 14 minutes 4 points 2 rebounds, Lewis 22 minutes 0 points. We moved McKoy to the center spot to hide Powell's defensive deficiencies and I agreed he is much better on the wing. We are getting beat physically every game and we don't think we can use him?

1/12/2015 3:22 am  #11

CLK wrote:

roagabee, I guess the key to the answer to that question is where do project Gill to play.  To me Lewis and Robinson are 5s, and Powell and McKoy are 4s.  Gill is neither although he has been used by Ferry at both positions.  Over 50% of Gills shots are three point shots.  Not what you want to see from a 5 or 4.  To me Gill should be eating into Jone's minutes, but I understand his defense ball handling is a problem.  But when I see Jones standing wide open in the wing passing up three point looks I can't help but think Gill would be a real asset if he can work on those aspects of his game.  I am no expert, and could be very wrong, but I do not see much of a future for him as a 4 or 5, and would like to see him developed as a 3, and Robinson developed at the 5.  I see potential in both of these guys.  I do not want to see either of these players pushed out the door.

I'd prefer Gill at the four, especially in Ferry's system where Ferry uses the three as a combo 2-3 guard.  I don't think that Gill can play the three at the A-10 level as I think he's not quick enough and has already shown that when tried on defensive rotations at the wing of the 2-3.  I don't know how he'll be able to guard in the man if Ferry goes back to it.  Part of the better defense to me has been Gill getting less PT...

Dome, I wasn't saying they were untouchable, but I do think that they earned their minutes over Robinson.  I also believe that part of McKoy's success has been Lewis opening space for him regardless of how little he personally has been scoring.  As for how long we can ride the starters going 30-35 minutes, the 2010-2011 team had Saunders, Clark, Monteiro, and TJ all doing it in conference play, with Saunders and TJ both over 35 a game if you take out the Temple  for McConnell (which he suspended for part of).  The year before in 2009-2010, the top four of Saunders, Clark, Bolding, and Evans all averaged 30-35 a game also in conference play if you take out Bolding's first two games coming back off wrist surgery.  It's not like Dukes fans haven't seen that minute distribution before, and I'd argue that this team is less likely than those to wear down based on rotating more OOC than the two RE teams that I mentioned.

1/14/2015 5:07 pm  #12

I hate to do this since I have no use for our neighbors in Oakland but I think we would all agree Dixon is a pretty good coach. I find it interesting that he is talking of giving playing time to a WALK ON because he feels it is unacceptable to the degree they are being out rebounded. He is willing to accept they are playing to small and need to play bigger. I realize Dixon has a ton of built up equity to experiment but I like the fact he is looking for answers.

1/14/2015 7:53 pm  #13

The Dome wrote:

I hate to do this since I have no use for our neighbors in Oakland but I think we would all agree Dixon is a pretty good coach. I find it interesting that he is talking of giving playing time to a WALK ON because he feels it is unacceptable to the degree they are being out rebounded. He is willing to accept they are playing to small and need to play bigger. I realize Dixon has a ton of built up equity to experiment but I like the fact he is looking for answers.

You don't have to like Pitt to like Dixon. When Ron was in the hospital, Dixon was one of the first people to visit him. He's a good guy who regularly does more with less.

1/14/2015 8:20 pm  #14

Duq81 couldn't agree more he and Ron had a really good relationship. Don't know if you remember when Ron was hospitalized and missed the BC game he and Jamie watched it streaming in his hospital room. He is a bit of a savant though really don't know how he closes in the home.

Board footera