Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/13/2015 1:05 pm  #1

St. Louis

This game is televised on Fox Sports Midwest.  If you have the Comcast sports package you might get it.

http://www.goduquesne.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/011215aac.html

1/13/2015 10:31 pm  #2

Re: St. Louis

Nice opportunity for a bounce back win on the road where we have a taste of success. Looking at St. Louis's roster it appears they have been playing a lot of guys looking for answers. The roster is only 12 deep and it doesn't apper like they have any walkon's. Strange.

1/14/2015 12:36 pm  #3

Dome, I agree. SLU is a "young team" so they would not have that "advantage".  I have not seen a line on the game.

1/14/2015 1:31 pm  #4

Dukes are a 3.5 point dog with the over/under at 133.  The only A-10 visiting team that isn't a dog tonight is Davidson. I know they have had a decent program for years but I had no idea they would have a impact this quickly in the league.  BTW doesn't seem like Vegas is convinced the Dukes can get to the 70/80 points I think Ferry would like to put up.

Last edited by The Dome (1/14/2015 1:33 pm)

1/14/2015 8:42 pm  #5

Down by 3 and 5 for 12 from the stripe!  Man, this gets old!

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

1/14/2015 9:43 pm  #6

11-25 from free throw line

1/14/2015 9:48 pm  #7

lilpav30 wrote:

11-25 from free throw line

I blame the refs for making the calls that put us on the free throw line.

1/14/2015 10:19 pm  #8

13-34 from the stripe is just flabbergasting. I mean, when you look at all of the other numbers, it was an even game. I can't really even be mad at the coaches. Wilt and Shaq could shoot free throws better than that. That's over 20 points left at the line. SMH!

1/14/2015 11:48 pm  #9

Duq I would agree that the foul shooting is really beyond comprehension. It wouldn't be tolerated at any level. But I think it is masking some issues that continue the offense whatever it is suppose to be is not working. JD questioned at halftime why we refuse to work inside out this has been a consistent theme. They continue to have 2/3 minute stretches in which they can't score. I don't care how many stops you have they are useless if you don't capitalize. The defense was shredded to the point we went 1-3-1 and ultimately man to man. Let's not forget this team was down 18. St. Louis also had 22 assists on 36 hoops much better movement of the ball. I've had it men the acceptance of failure is just to much rather than getting pissed at referee's it's time to turn some of that anger on this team.

1/15/2015 9:40 am  #10

CLK wrote:

This game is televised on Fox Sports Midwest.  If you have the Comcast sports package you might get it.

http://www.goduquesne.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/011215aac.html

1/15/2015 10:33 am  #11

Dome, I agree.  While everyone is talking about the missed free throws (which was horrible and cost us the game) what is not being discussed is how easily our 2-3 zone was shredded.  The Dukes packed it in in the 1st half giving wide open looks for their 3 point shooters.  In the 2nd half the zone was extended and they killed us inside.  Late in the game Ferry switched but by that time the game was decided.  Our soft zone is just plain embarrrassing.  It does not take long for good coaches to figure it out, and when Ferry does not switch defenses the other teams get way too comfortable.  This has happened all year.  I am sorry, but those thinking that DU zone was getting better, it is not. 

Dome, I can't get angry any more.  I am into acceptance,  I gather from the lack of response to this loss that others may be as well.  This team and this coach are what they are.  The way things are we will finish last this year, and nothing much will change next year.  The next level is Amodio BS.  I don't believe in "Ferry Tells" any more!

How not to play defense, presented by your Duquesne Dukes.

Last edited by CLK (1/15/2015 10:42 am)

1/15/2015 10:51 am  #12

Ray Goss and JD referred to pour defense being so porous that St. Louis was doing a "layup drill."

1/15/2015 11:05 am  #13

CLK,
I am at that last stage of acceptance also.  Not even going to the Consol this Saturday for that game.  As I said after Ferry's flip out over the end of the game call, that game would make them or break them.  They are done.  This is January and the season is over.  What's funny is I am not even angry any more...stick a fork in them.  The program is a failure.

1/15/2015 1:25 pm  #14

FAM wrote:

CLK,
I am at that last stage of acceptance also.  Not even going to the Consol this Saturday for that game.  As I said after Ferry's flip out over the end of the game call, that game would make them or break them.  They are done.  This is January and the season is over.  What's funny is I am not even angry any more...stick a fork in them.  The program is a failure.

I have to say that after watching the video of SLU scoring at will I am surprised the game was as close as the final score. I would hate to be a player watching that tape, but it is nothing new for this club

A diehard fan since 1961

1/15/2015 1:53 pm  #15

Guys the talent level is just not there. I am so over those Kool Aid reports from the summer league,  SLU's freshman were impressive, while our highest rated recruit did not get off the bench.  Powell has some potential to be an average A10 player, but not a "difference maker" like Yarbourgh for SLU.  If Ferry is ever going to get to the next level he will need to recruit difference makers.  I have no confinence in his ability to coach up players to become difference makers.  Right now this team has some average players, some raw talent to get to average, some dead wood, and no real difference maker. Guys that we thought could be difference makers are disappointments.  Colter is the only one that approaches the category of difference maker.  My guess is desperation will set in and there will be a house  cleaning in the Spring to clear the dead wood.  We are seeing signs of scholarships opening like the tweet below. Suggs is a 2015 recruit.  VCU and Butler are hot after him so don't drink the Kool Aid on this one.  Just mention it because I think we are going to see some players leave in the Spring,

Adam Zagoria ‏@AdamZagoria 2h2 hours ago Former Mizzou commit @RonnieSuggs2 is considering Butler, VCU, Texas Tech, Duquesne and Rice and will decide in the spring.

Last edited by CLK (1/15/2015 2:23 pm)

1/15/2015 3:49 pm  #16

CLK the most disturbing part of what you are saying about the house cleaning, of which I can not agree more, is it was one of the more stinging indictments of Ron's. I certainly don't want to go down that street but it raises the bigger issue of talent assessment. One of the reasons for Ron's house cleaning was the turnover in the assistants and who he had as key recruiters. I only mention this because besides JF's salary we were told that his staff would be able to transition easily due to a increased budget for assistants besides the addition of John Rhodes to the staff. I'm afraid one has to question the value of that expenditure. Yesterday the new Chancellor at Pitt was quoted in the PG, paraphrasing, a great school can not pick and choose what it wants to be great at but owes it to all involved to strive to be great at everything!!!!  Charlie are you listening?

1/15/2015 4:54 pm  #17

The house cleaning needs to start with Charlie, he approved the firing, and approved the hiring. He is listening he reads this board dailey as does GA. The university needs to make some hard core decisions either shut it down or blow it up clean house from top to bottom and get with the current times of D1 athletics which should make millions not cost millions.

The sign in front of the Palumbo center should read " Lemonade stand for sale we can't operate it"

1/15/2015 6:33 pm  #18

I've come to the conclusion that Ferry is gonna sink or swim with the two guys who are sitting out. Even if more spots opened up, he's not going to land any players in the spring that are going to make a major difference next year, and without improvement next year, there won't be any "long term" for him. He will be on the hot seat going into next year, and will likely be fired if the season is a disaster. These 2 guys will need to be talented at the level of Soko to make an impact. It does help that they are here, and are able to practice. I know Castro stuggled at Butler, but Butler was a bit of a train wreck last year after Stevens left. Does anyone have any spies who have seen practice, and have any idea of how good these 2 look? We got good reports about Soko when he was sitting out, and they turned out to be true. I know we can't go by the summer league, but Castro was dominant last summer, moreso than any Duke since the league started.  I hope these guys are truly the real deal.

1/15/2015 6:36 pm  #19

Scotchngars wrote:

The house cleaning needs to start with Charlie, he approved the firing, and approved the hiring. He is listening he reads this board dailey as does GA. The university needs to make some hard core decisions either shut it down or blow it up clean house from top to bottom and get with the current times of D1 athletics which should make millions not cost millions.

The sign in front of the Palumbo center should read " Lemonade stand for sale we can't operate it"

Scotch, I have a different view on Dr. Dougherty.  I do not think he should be fired.  I appreciate what he has done to increase funding for the basketball program.  His mistake was trusting his subordinate.  In my career I have had people I trusted that reflected negatively on me as thier manager, and had to deal with the problem.  Dr. D's job is to run the University.  He trusted his AD in what he told him and in supporting his decisions.  I do not believe Dr. D had anything to do with the leaked memo.  In fact he probably did not write it.  The bill of goods he was sold was: the current coach is our problem, and if the University inreases funding we can hire a guy that will get us to the next level...problem solved.  That does not seem to be happening, or will happen in the near future.  It is a shame that his AD is tarnishing his Legacy in the eyes of many alum.  Assuming things continue to deteriorate how much time does he give the AD to prove he has not screwed up big time.  The worse the situation grows without holding the AD accountable the worse it reflects on him.

1/15/2015 7:05 pm  #20

CLK wrote:

Scotchngars wrote:

The sign in front of the Palumbo center should read " Lemonade stand foThe house cleaning needs to start with Charlie, he approved the firing, and approved the hiring. He is listening he reads this board dailey as does GA. The university needs to make some hard core decisions either shut it down or blow it up clean house from top to bottom and get with the current times of D1 athletics which should make millions not cost millions.
r sale we can't operate it"

Scotch, I have a different view on Dr. Dougherty.  I do not think he should be fired.  I appreciate what he has done to increase funding for the basketball program.  His mistake was trusting his subordinate.  In my career I have had people I trusted that reflected negatively on me as thier manager, and had to deal with the problem.  Dr. D's job is to run the University.  He trusted his AD in what he told him and in supporting his decisions.  I do not believe Dr. D had anything to do with the leaked memo.  In fact he probably did not write it.  The bill of goods he was sold was: the current coach is our problem, and if the University inreases funding we can hire a guy that will get us to the next level...problem solved.  That does not seem to be happening, or will happen in the near future.  It is a shame that his AD is tarnishing his Legacy in the eyes of many alum.  Assuming things continue to deteriorate how much time does he give the AD to prove he has not screwed up big time.  The worse the situation grows without holding the AD accountable the worse it reflects on him.

Agreed, the President of the University, whose task let's be honest, is a lot more complex than this piddly little basketball program, is not going to be fired over this. As pointed out, it's the subordinate, who he trusted, who managed to convince this intelligent man that the only coach in 38 seasons to achieve anything remotely close to success, needed to be let go!

That subordinate needs become unemployed and unemployed fast!

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

1/15/2015 7:58 pm  #21

Guys I agree and in no way was I calling for the dismissal of the President I was more in line with the tarnishing of what has been a very good job to date. I do think that the statement that was made is well stated you are either in it to win or get out. Much like the Pitt situation I don't think you can give GA a third shot at it.

1/15/2015 8:28 pm  #22

this team is inconsistant, undisciplined, and does not play fundamental basketball.
whenever its "we didnt rebound well tonite," or "tonite foul shooting cost us," or "we didnt play good defense," i blame lack of b-ball iq and fundamentals as opposed to talent. i put that on the coaches and the type of kid they are recruiting and what they are teaching.
This stuff is simple:
ball-you-man on defense, talk, rotate, fight thru screens/switch, box out.
run the offense, be hard to guard, triple threat position, inside/out, drive and dish.

saturday with or without T. Graham could be an absolute disaster...

1/15/2015 10:25 pm  #23

CLK wrote:

Scotchngars wrote:

CLK, i never thought Charlie leaked the letter, his trust in the AD should have ended with Dambrot issuing a restraining order on GA. As much good he has done for the university should be applauded, but and a big BUT, he is a huge college bb fan and does nothing to right this wrong. If he acts on this failure of the AD dept. and cleans house then good, if not its all under his watch, he is watching and allowing this embarrssment not from the stands or his presidents box but hiding in his office. It is what it is.

1/16/2015 6:07 am  #24

If he is such a big college basketball fan, why does he rarely attend games? Doesn't seem like he's taking much ownership.

1/16/2015 8:20 am  #25

One has to wonder what the mood at DU is.  I wonder if there is an sense of gravity over the current situation.

I know that I am called on the carpet for far less offenses that what is going on with this program at DU.   I wonder if the following meetings have occured.

Board to Charlie - WTF is going on with your mens basketball program?
Charlie to GA - Loudly, WTF is going on with your mens basketball program?  I got the board on my ass.
GA to JF - Screaming, WTF is going on with your team?  I got Charlie and the Board on my ass.

One would hope that these meetings have taken place.

Board footera