Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/16/2015 9:18 am  #26

Re: St. Louis

Charlie's been solid as President. He tried willing to spend $. Unfortunately he was sold a bad bill of goods by the AD.no way he had anything to do with the letter leak. Neither did a DU board member. If so the letter would have been e-mailed to the Trib or PG. Ron's future head coaching opportunities are difficult because of a simple google search. That is sad he never deserved this. Yeah Brightside it's personal!

1/16/2015 9:46 am  #27

Ironduke1981 wrote:

Charlie's been solid as President. He tried willing to spend $. Unfortunately he was sold a bad bill of goods by the AD.no way he had anything to do with the letter leak. Neither did a DU board member. If so the letter would have been e-mailed to the Trib or PG. Ron's future head coaching opportunities are difficult because of a simple google search. That is sad he never deserved this. Yeah Brightside it's personal!

Sorry, but this didn't occur in a vacuum where Charlie is free from all blame.  Throwing money at a problem doesn't fix the problem.   He hired GA and may or may not have renewed his contract.   

I am not saying that Charlie needs to go, in fact I don't believe that he should be removed over this.   However, to paint him as not responsible and he did all he could.....that is just as incorrect.

1/16/2015 9:59 am  #28

Agreeing Charlie we shouldn't even be talking about firing him. We just need him to spend more money on the program. If you think ferry's 600k is a lot. The next coach that comes in here will be at 650K. We need the university to make MAJOR renovations to the Palumbo. The athletic department can't spend millions and millions of dollars on it. Charlie has to write the check for that one. Inmho no coach will win here with what the basketball staff has now. The athletic department can only do so much, until the university is committed to the basketball program it will continue to fail. We could pull john wooden out of his grave and he wouldn't even win here.
Let's try not to get out numbered by VCU fans tomorrow!

1/16/2015 10:13 am  #29

Steel city AJ wrote:

Agreeing Charlie we shouldn't even be talking about firing him. We just need him to spend more money on the program. If you think ferry's 600k is a lot. The next coach that comes in here will be at 650K. We need the university to make MAJOR renovations to the Palumbo. The athletic department can't spend millions and millions of dollars on it. Charlie has to write the check for that one. Inmho no coach will win here with what the basketball staff has now. The athletic department can only do so much, until the university is committed to the basketball program it will continue to fail. We could pull john wooden out of his grave and he wouldn't even win here.
Let's try not to get out numbered by VCU fans tomorrow!

What exactly do you want done to Palumbo?   Short of razing the building and starting over, not much else you can do. 

About the only things I can think of is somehow reconfiguring the lower bowl so that it wraps all the way around the court.  Also building some sort of camera perch on the former bleacher side lines above the seats is needed for TV and webcasts.   Short of that, the insides have all been renovated.  I am in the minority but I thought putting seats in the upper deck of the bleacher side line was an absolute waste of money.    Reduced capacity and the slightlines are horrible in those seats.     

I think it is foolish to put seats in the bleacher endzones.  Which may or may not be in their plans.

1/16/2015 10:44 am  #30

As floors, have concrete with gloss painted over it. Can we atleast got some tiles down on the floor. Second of all we need a new score board we all complain how bad the webcasts are. 6 years ago the university and the athletic department took the cheap way out instead of getting a HD board.  also we have track lanes on the floor that simply looks awful. The B section above the president suite should look like the B section behind the scorers table. Removing the bleachers will help for sure. Make suites, attract businesses to buy them. Blow the whole thing up and start over. The fire department is next door  anything goes wrong they can be there in a flash. The b section behing the bench has glass that looks like I'm in a church. It only took 3 years for them to find out using flash lights for the intro looked like a middle school intro. Get some laser lights or whatever they're called so we can be like all the other schools in the A10

1/16/2015 11:55 am  #31

Steel city AJ wrote:

As floors, have concrete with gloss painted over it. Can we atleast got some tiles down on the floor. Second of all we need a new score board we all complain how bad the webcasts are. 6 years ago the university and the athletic department took the cheap way out instead of getting a HD board.  also we have track lanes on the floor that simply looks awful. The B section above the president suite should look like the B section behind the scorers table. Removing the bleachers will help for sure. Make suites, attract businesses to buy them. Blow the whole thing up and start over. The fire department is next door  anything goes wrong they can be there in a flash. The b section behing the bench has glass that looks like I'm in a church. It only took 3 years for them to find out using flash lights for the intro looked like a middle school intro. Get some laser lights or whatever they're called so we can be like all the other schools in the A10

I'm not trying to argue with you....but you basically said replace the Palumbo Center.  While this is a great idea, it is not going to happen in the majority of fans on this boards life time.   You would have to have sustained success over a long period of time for this to become reality.   

This is sort of like talk about Pitt building an on campus football stadium.  It is not going to happen.

Last edited by duqkurt (1/16/2015 11:58 am)

1/16/2015 12:11 pm  #32

duqkurt wrote:

I'm not trying to argue with you....but you basically said replace the Palumbo Center. While this is a great idea, it is not going to happen in the majority of fans on this boards life time. You would have to have sustained success over a long period of time for this to become reality.

This is sort of like talk about Pitt building an on campus football stadium. It is not going to happen.

I always get a kick out of how clueless some of those Pitt posters are about that subject. They have to fight tooth and nail to tear down 4-5 buildings in order to build a dorm, and they think the city is going to allow them to take several blocks of valuable properties off of the tax rolls, in order to build a stadium that will be used half a dozen times a year. One poster even suggested that Pitt move to the North Hills, and take the UPMC complex with them if the city doesn't cooperate. Talk about having your priorities out of whack.

1/16/2015 12:45 pm  #33

LOL.  Totally agree DUQ81.  This is off topic but I am not sure what is more ridiculous building it in the heart of Oakland or the proposal to try and wedge a stadium in Panther Hollow.   They totally forget the fact there is a heavily used frieght railroad line that runs straight through the heart of Panther Hollow that would have to be moved for any chance of there being room.

Last edited by duqkurt (1/16/2015 12:45 pm)

1/16/2015 3:03 pm  #34

Back to CD quickly how embarrassing will it be tomorrow to be in empty area watching your team getting their heads handed to them. I only hope it's not a total disaster on our home court. Interesting enough and this is only a eye test but it certainly seems like we struggle shooting the ball in Consol far more than usual.

Last edited by The Dome (1/16/2015 3:04 pm)

1/16/2015 3:55 pm  #35

Dome et. al.  - Actually, we would be better off if it is a total embarassing disaster tomorrow.  There are still folks who think we are okay and that we are moving ahead, albeit slowly.  One of the ways that The President and others may get it is if they see no one in the stands as we continually get beat every game.  This program needs a total rebuild from the AD through the coaches.  As long as they hang on by a thread folks who think with their heart and not their head will not help DU basketball move ahead which we want to see.

1/16/2015 4:20 pm  #36

Fan79, he rarely missed a game when RE was here because he looked great cause we were wining. Ever since the firing and hiring he has hid from the palumbo. I can only guess he can't stand to watch what was good is now so bad that he is embarrassed by GA convincing him to make the moves that were made. Imagine your him and a fan or booster comes up to you points at the dismal crowd then points at the score board and say's. Why did you fire RE again remind me, cause if this is the next level i'm not interested.

1/16/2015 5:02 pm  #37

DukesFan79 wrote:

If he is such a big college basketball fan, why does he rarely attend games? Doesn't seem like he's taking much ownership.

Because he enjoys "college basketball," not the feeble joke that gets presented at the Palumbo Center

Last edited by Tejas_Duke (1/16/2015 5:03 pm)

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

Board footera