Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/17/2015 8:37 am  #1

1/17/2015 8:52 am  #2

Re: VCU

Line is 13.5.
Pomeroy has this as a 15 point loss, 85-70; 9% probability of a Dukes victory.

1/17/2015 9:28 am  #3

Always good for national TV to see a empty arena and a total smack down. Since we get almost no coverage in the local papers it hard to know if Graham is playing for VCU. IMHO it's not a factor just a determinant of the score. Hate to keep doing this but I see Dixon is saying in today's papers he is still looking for the right combination and will be playing his entire roster. Wow pretty refreshing. Just read on CBS Sports.com Graham is playing.

Last edited by The Dome (1/17/2015 9:53 am)

1/17/2015 10:06 am  #4

I know we dont have a ton of people covering our games, but I would really like for some reporter to corner Amodio and ask him why we are giving up our homes games to play in half empty CEC? I'd also like someone to ask him if he feels his job is in jeopardy. I will forever respect the reporter who gets those questions out to him. If he takes a vacation to Xavier like he did when he cut the sports, then we will know his true colors(if we dont already). Not to be a dead horse, but does everyone actually agree with playing games in the CEC anymore. I thought it would be more for getting a marquee 2-1 OOC game. Not an A10 v. VCU. When VCU moves their homes games to the Richmond Coliseum, then I'll entertain this idea.

1/17/2015 10:09 am  #5

Last year we hung with VCU in the first half and then the wheels fell off.  I have a feeling we are going to make more turnovers today than Sarah Lee!

1/17/2015 10:27 am  #6

WEB wrote:

I know we dont have a ton of people covering our games, but I would really like for some reporter to corner Amodio and ask him why we are giving up our homes games to play in half empty CEC? I'd also like someone to ask him if he feels his job is in jeopardy. I will forever respect the reporter who gets those questions out to him. If he takes a vacation to Xavier like he did when he cut the sports, then we will know his true colors(if we dont already). Not to be a dead horse, but does everyone actually agree with playing games in the CEC anymore. I thought it would be more for getting a marquee 2-1 OOC game. Not an A10 v. VCU. When VCU moves their homes games to the Richmond Coliseum, then I'll entertain this idea.

Nobody cares why would they. Amodios record 0-10 vs. Pitt 3-7 RMU please do not schedule St.Francis Seton Hill CMU or St. Vincent's . It' s rock bottom with little chance to swim to the surface. I think in college basketball a team like Duquesne could get that one win maybe today.

1/17/2015 10:39 am  #7

i get the rationale for playing games at cec, just dont agree with it. another thing that really p****s me off about games there is that i usually sit behind two or three rows of dayton fans who bought tickets on line and got better seats than me, a season ticket holder who has nice seats at the ajp. its typical duquesne non sense. (personally, i think the Pitt games should be moved back to on campus as well---actually, i dont even care if we play pitt anymore, i would rather see us take a paycheck game or two at kentucy or kansas or duke)

i think it will be a very nice crowd today, but only bc vcu travels well and i think locals will show up only bc of the "shaka smart" mystique, so it wont necessarily be a big duq crowd.

on to the game- if vcu comes out hot and shreds our defense like slu did, i could see this game being a debacle along the lines of the umass/duq 100-52 a**kicking of 15+ yrs ago.

if our big guys come out, cowboy up and decide to get mean and put a body on m-a-c and graham and if we catch vcu in a cold spell, i could see us hanging tight for a half+ before vcus overall talent and coaching take over. either way, we lose, just a question of do we go down swinging or do we pack it in early and get embarrassed?

1/17/2015 10:48 am  #8

Speaking of Robert Morris.  I watched them on TV last night get beat at home by a well diciplined, talented St. Francis NY team.  Their big guy must of had 7 or 8 blocks.  It is just sad to look at that and think our coach is probably being paid 3 times the salary of the SF coach, and the product pales in comparison.  I keep looking for signs that Ferry is going to get it together and earn his high priced salary.  Maybe today?

Last edited by CLK (1/17/2015 10:49 am)

1/17/2015 11:59 am  #9

Someone pointed this out elsewhere, this could be the U-Mass game that sealed John Carroll's fate back in 95!

Losing by 40 or more in a half empty larger venue (oops scratch that, there will probably be about 5,000 VCU fans there) should seal Greg Amodio's fate, if not Jim Ferry's. I will be curious to see if Dr. D. shows up to witness the damage his ill-adivsed listening to Greg back in 12 has wrought!

And as a fan of that famous dictum that history repeats itself first as tragedy and second as farce, consider this:

In 95 we fired the first coach to get the program up off the deck and achieve some moderate success in a long time, and brought in a replacement that lasted three seasons!

Hmmmm.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

1/17/2015 2:53 pm  #10

Watching the game at the two min mark first half it so easy to see why this is such a bad team.Vcu out quicks Duquesne, this reminds of watching old Duquesne / Pitt games when Pitt had guys like Ken Waggoner and other WPIAL kids getting outclassed by our Dukes.

I don't know if Ferry is a good or even average coach, but with players like he has brought in not many wins in this conference will becoming the rest of this year.

A diehard fan since 1961

1/17/2015 2:57 pm  #11

Why are the Event Staff personnel sitting at the scorers table wearing black vests?  Are they VCU fans?  Watch any other college program and tell me if the scorers table personnel wear the colors of the other team.

1/17/2015 3:03 pm  #12

Phildog wrote:

Watching the game at the two min mark first half it so easy to see why this is such a bad team.Vcu out quicks Duquesne, this reminds of watching old Duquesne / Pitt games when Pitt had guys like Ken Waggoner and other WPIAL kids getting outclassed by our Dukes.

I don't know if Ferry is a good or even average coach, but with players like he has brought in not many wins in this conference will becoming the rest of this year.

This is like being stuck in a bad movie.  The Dukes 2-3 zone is horrible, yet I did not see Ferry switch defense once in the first half.  It is the same story over and over again of either Colter, Mason or Stevens running out late to try to block the wide open three point shot that has already been released.

1/17/2015 4:05 pm  #13

When Dukes pulled to two I never felt that they would win, it was more VCU going like 2-13 from floor, Stevens is a joke, gunning threes while moving from 28 feet. Lewis however looked like he could be a force if he keeps playing.

As game is ending Stevens try's an off balance running one hander, 70-64 loss.😡

A diehard fan since 1961

1/17/2015 4:07 pm  #14

Phildog wrote:

When Dukes pulled to two I never felt that they would win, it was more VCU going like 2-13 from floor, Stevens is a joke, gunning threes while moving from 28 feet. Lewis however looked like he could be a force if he keeps playing.

As game is ending Stevens try's an off balance running one hander, 70-64 loss.😡

Yeah not to mention him trying that 2 pointer when we needed to set up for a quick 3 in that situation!  Oh well, he'll get minutes next week and Robinson won't!

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

1/17/2015 4:12 pm  #15

Phil I agree on Stevens.  When he plays as a team player he can be good, when he goes "ball hog" he kills us. Overall, the Dukes played much better in the second half.  Kudos to Lewis & Gill for solid games.  At the end of the day however another "L".

1/17/2015 5:19 pm  #16

heck of a ball game. i thought dukes coulda folded at half, but instead they clawed their way back in it.
i thought that was the hardest/best they played all year.

vcu is ranked 17 for a reason. excellent ball club/excellent coaching. i love watching vcu play.
j. lewis killed us today.

dukes have nothing to be ashamed of. if they play like they did today over next 6 games, they should win 4 of them. loved what i saw from lewis, domo, and lg.
would like to see ridenour get some of stevens minutes...

tough to lose to a ranked team when you know you had a chance to beat them, but still heck of an effort.
no one in the world(including myself) gave them a chance...

1/17/2015 5:26 pm  #17

VCU was killed on the boards and I don't think this was one of their better game, they also went into dry spells where they could not hit anything. Gill always plays well against Virginia teams, I liked our Lewis, VCU Lewis was game changer .

A diehard fan since 1961

1/17/2015 6:16 pm  #18

WEB wrote:

Why are the Event Staff personnel sitting at the scorers table wearing black vests? Are they VCU fans? Watch any other college program and tell me if the scorers table personnel wear the colors of the other team.

Scorer's table is supposed to be "neutral".  I had on the same black A-10 Sweater vest and white shirt I've had on for every other game this year.  

1/17/2015 6:25 pm  #19

Hate to always be the cautionary voice but let's not forget they played without their best player in Graham. I'm also always struggling to understand our late game substitutions and once again what the heck where we trying to accomplish with the ability to tie the game. Having Lewis at the top of the key as the outlet and pick setter when you have three guards in the game is crazy. Reminiscent of the final play at PSU. And why play three guards????  They shot those ending 3's over us like no one was there.

1/17/2015 6:50 pm  #20

SteelCityVoice wrote:

WEB wrote:

Why are the Event Staff personnel sitting at the scorers table wearing black vests? Are they VCU fans? Watch any other college program and tell me if the scorers table personnel wear the colors of the other team.

Scorer's table is supposed to be "neutral".  I had on the same black A-10 Sweater vest and white shirt I've had on for every other game this year.  

Is that mandate handed down by the A10 commissioner?

1/17/2015 6:55 pm  #21

They should seriously consider applying to the NEC or Patriot League. At least they might have a better chance to get to the NCAA tournament. or be a consistently winning team.

Last edited by rittersdiner (1/17/2015 6:56 pm)

1/17/2015 7:07 pm  #22

WEB wrote:

SteelCityVoice wrote:

WEB wrote:

Is that mandate handed down by the A10 commissioner?

Not sure where it comes from, that's just the gameday outfit I was told to wear from the start of the season.  

1/17/2015 7:33 pm  #23

rittersdiner wrote:

They should seriously consider applying to the NEC or Patriot League. At least they might have a better chance to get to the NCAA tournament. or be a consistently winning team.

Aren't Bobby Mo, and St. Francis in the NEC? They can't beat those teams now. They won't have players even as good as they have now if they were in those leagues.

1/18/2015 8:05 am  #24

duq81 wrote:

rittersdiner wrote:

Aren't Bobby Mo, and St. Francis in the NEC? They can't beat those teams now. They won't have players even as good as they have now if they were in those leagues.

How many times has RMU been to the tournament since we were (82, 83, 89, 90, 92, 09 10)? The Patriot League champion goes every year. All you hve to be is good enough to win the Patriot League. We have absolutely no chance this way.

1/18/2015 8:37 am  #25

rittersdiner wrote:

duq81 wrote:

rittersdiner wrote:

How many times has RMU been to the tournament since we were (82, 83, 89, 90, 92, 09 10)? The Patriot League champion goes every year. All you hve to be is good enough to win the Patriot League. We have absolutely no chance this way.

Bobby Mo runs a strong program. What makes you think we would? How many times has St. Francis won the NEC? Once, back in 1991 when they had an NBA player. People always make the dumb assumption that we would be in the NEC, but still have Aaron Jackson, and Damian Saunders on the team. That's nonsense. We would have NEC scrubs on the team. Being good enough to win those leagues is no easier than being good enough to win the A10. If Pittsburgh was producing loads of NEC level talent, I'd buy that. One look at Bobby Mo's recent rosters tells you that it isn't. There are teams in those low major leagues who never go to the NCAAs. We'd likely be one of them.

Board footera